Flat Racing Tuesday 5th June

15.10 Redcar: Come Here Yew @ 9/1 Paddy Power This four year old gelding is still a maiden after nine starts, what could be off-putting, but it's not for me because I think this horse has not an attitude problem. I rather think he's been a bit unlucky not to win a race yet as he has a bit of talent and is better than form and current mark suggesting. He finished three times 2nd so far, two times last year. He ran in eye-catching fashion both times and the way he raced there suggested that he'd do well with a step up in trip. He raced once over 10f already, was without a chance in a good class 4 race, though. He started his 4yo campaign recently at Redcar, when he was beaten in a photo. It was probably a rather poor maiden yet it was an encouraging performance by Come Here Yew. He looked to go past the eventual winner in the final furlong but failed to do so, it looked as if he passed him after the line, however. A bit too late, indeed, but an indication that there is no issue with his attitude. He steps up in trip to 9f now and I think he will relish the additional furlong. He's also back in Handicap company and his mark is down to a career lowest. It's 1lb below the mark of which he ran so well at Ripon last year and 4lb below the mark when he finished a strong second at Ayr. I assume that he's very competitive of the current mark off 73 and with a very useful apprentice on board who claims 7lb - Jason Hart is worth every pound and looks a great talent - I have the feeling tomorrow could be finally the day when Come Here Yew crosses the line as a winner. 16.30 Yarmouth: Maz @ 8/1 Ladbrokes She's actually 15/1 on the exchanges at the moment and I simply can't understand why as I even consider 8/1 as overpriced. She's yet to win on turf, right, but she ran well last year in Handicaps and looked improved as a 4yo at Wolverhampton when she made her seasonal debut in March. She won only hands and heels ridden pretty easily there. She's now back on turf and it could be a slight worry that her best performances came on softish ground, though I don't think that the good ground which is expected at Yarmouth for the straight course tomorrow will cause problems. She never ran in a class 4 Handicap before, but as I said she looks improved this year and I feel this race lacks strengths in depth. What I like about Maz's chance as well is the fact that 7 pound claimer Natasha Eaton takes the ride. She is a decent apprentice and Maz trainer Alan Bailey provided her with plenty of good rides. In fact Eaton won her last two rides, both on Bailey horses. Alan Bailey is in very good form as well and therefore I can't see why Maz shouldn't run a big race.

Re: Flat Racing Tuesday 5th June LADY ROYALE (15:45) hasn’t been at her best since winning at Ripon last August but she’s now 1lb lower in the weights than she was that day and has the blinkers reapplied, which usually means she runs about 10lbs better than without them. That, alongside conditions today being likely to suit alongside a likely strong pace means that she’s overpriced in this contest. Like many from this sire, she’s a speedy type who came to hand early, but showed plenty of promise last season when the blinkers were reapplied, winning off ratings of 75 and 81. She looked like a horse who might be able to hack it off a bit higher than that but lost her way somewhat towards the end of the season, although her last run of the season in a big-field York handicap wasn’t completely devoid of promise, meeting traffic problems and she’d have definitely finished closer had it not being for them. She’s ran twice in 2012, her seasonal reappearance coming without any sort of headgear over 6f (which is a little far for her) on unsuitably soft ground, it’s no surprise that she was well-beaten. Lady Royale was last seen at Wolverhampton when sporting cheekpieces and she was beaten 5 lengths. This obviously doesn’t make her of interest on a bare form perspective but she was dropped in from a wide draw and held-up, which I don’t think she enjoys at all and she was hardly given a tough time when she was obviously not going to win. That being so, she’s now of more interest with blinkers reapplied. All three of her victories have come with this headgear and last season, she improved around 9lbs or so for the switch from cheekpieces to blinkers (wasn’t the first time she’d worn them) so there’s every chance that could happen again today, especially if given a more positive ride. Decent ground and a strong pace are Lady Royale’s want, she’ll get that today and with both her rider and trainer in really good form at the moment, she’s ridiculously overpriced at these sorts of odds. It may be that she hasn’t trained on or that she hasn’t yet come to hand this season, but she’s more than capable of going very close if putting it altogether today, which I think is plausible given she’ll have the race run to suit, with blinkers back on and has fallen to a workable mark. Bets 15:45 Redcar – Lady Royale; 2pts @ 28/1 BetVictor, Betfred (bog)

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.