BBOTD Sunday 20th May

Hope it's ok for me to start this thread a bit early, apologies if not. 16:00 Market Rasen - Jam Tomorrow - (1PT Win, 7/2, Bet365) Was in the process last time out of running a big race and looked the most likely winner when falling at the last hurdle. The way the horse ran that day was quite impressive for such a poor race, only really needed to be ridden with purpose 2 from home and seemed to have found enough but got caught in between two horses at the last and ended it's challenge. It jumped great throughout though, and in my inexperienced opinion, looks like it could be a better chaser than hurdler due to the horse's size and scope when jumping in that race. Makes it's chasing debut here today off a 3 pound higher mark for that race which is negated by Henry Brooke's 3 pound claim and hopefully can make amends for last time. The favourite, O'Callaghan Strand, has to shoulder top weight after a 178 day break and has never won on ground worse than good and is on a career high mark on it's reappearance. There are other potential improvers but hopefully, with the form the McCain stable are in at the moment, my selection can make up for it's last race.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 20th May 4.10 Ripon - 1pt win Veiled Applause @ 9/1 (Ladbrokes) Michael O'Connell is operating at a 24% for John Quinn and this is the trainer's only runner on the card here. Although this one doesn't win very often and needs the cards to fall right, I'm quietly confident that things are right for him today and although he's effectively 10lbs higher for his recent win, with the rider no longer claiming 3lbs, he has won off higher in the past, and I'm hoping he isn't regressing in old age too much. That aforementioned victory at Thirsk recently suggested he had plenty of ability left in him as he travelled powerfully into contention and found plenty to score by an eased-down 2l. He was value for further and the result was never in doubt, really. He clearly enjoys soft ground and a good pace - and I feel he'll get it today for all he does stay further. That could well be a big advantage in the conditions here at the finish, with there appearing a few pacesetters in the race. He usually travels well and should come into the race sweetly should the expected pace come to fruition. Quite remarkably, six of the eleven runners have led on at least one of the last two starts so it could play into the hands of a closer. Although Veiled Applause didn't travel as well as usual last time, the race wasn't ideal for him. It was a bit of a tactical affair and he was held up off a slow pace. He kept on well under the relatively inexperienced Kevin Lundie and it's an advantage to see O'Connell back on board today. Although he's far from a good thing off this mark, he's likely to run his race, and with conditions to suit, it could fall into his lap a little at a track he's won at in the past.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 20th May 5.10 Ripon Ingenti - didnt get the race run to suit at Catterick last time and could be worth another chance. Races from out of the weights, but so does Fama Mac, and he's 7/1 here and Ingenti is treble the odds. THere is an appentice on ingenti rather than SDS on Fama Mac but Julie Burke is able to claim which is a help. 25/1 bet 365 EW

Re: BBOTD Sunday 20th May « 4:10 » Ripon SUN 20 MAY 2012 MIDDLEHAM TRAINERS ASSOCIATION HANDICAP (CLASS 4) (4yo+ 0-85) Winner £5,175 Soft 1m1f170y Number of runners: 11 EDMAAJ to win @ 5/1 bog (William Hill) Edmaaj has ran only five times so far in his career and missed the tracks for almost 20 months but moved to David O'Meara's yard has swown enough on his first two starts this season to think he retains still a lot of skills and can improve finally upped in distance. he finished 4 times second so far, first two over 7f in 2010 and last twice over 1m at Pontefract in very testing conditions (heavy and very soft). He's been upped 5lb after those two nice efforts in defeat but first of all the form of those two races is pretty strong as the winner of the first (23 Apr) is Flying Applause who won 4 of his last 6 races and his rated 7lb higher now. That race was Edmaaj's handicap bow and his first start for 590 days and he met serious traffic problems rounding the home turn, checked at least three times. Upsides a furlong out it was no surprise that he was outgunned near the line. He was without doubt the winner on merit. He was beaten just a neck by Flying Applause and the third came home 6L behind and the 4th 10Lbehind. On his last start, again over 1m at Pontefract on heavy ground and still off his mark of 71, Edmaaj was sent off as the 6/4 favourite of the race but had to much to do as he was again held up towards rear but lost his position when trying to make his headway and short of room around the final bend and did well to get so close and finish second beaten only by the well handicapped Wiseman's Diamond who had made all. The third Fazza won next time out off the same mark. Edmaaj's dam was a 1m4f winner and I'm pretty sure this nice 4yo chestnut gelding can become a good handicapper over longer distance and the 5lb hike doesn't really seem a big problem for such an improving and totally unexposed horse. There are a lot of horses with a good chance in this race: Hunter Belt, who is back on turf after a long spell on the AW and a little break (73 days) but was in very good form when last seen (221 his last three efforts all at Southwell over 11f and 12f in the first months of the year), Cape Rising, who is another very unexposed mare (5th career start) who ran very bad on her seasonal debut at Catterick 5 weeks ago but won a maiden here at Ripon on her last start in 2011 over 1m4f and could well be improving with an eye-catching booking (Ryan Moore who is very rarely booked by Alan Swinbank), Veiled Applause, who is a former C&D winner and won a nice race over 1m4f at Thirsk on his second last start and ran again very well last time out at Doncaster over 1m2f, Ashiri, who is another unexposed colt who was a good 4th on his handicap/seasonal debut last time out at Newbury and should have more to offer (5th career start) and Licence To Till, who won well last time out and has already won twice twice in a row in the past and represents a yard (Mark Johnston's) in very good form (from a long time).

Re: BBOTD Sunday 20th May 15.40 Ripon: Dunn'o @ EW 12/1 Bet365 Think this race is much more open than the odds suggesting. I'd favour Osteopathic Remedy for the win actually, but can't have him for the current price. However it's easy to make a case for every runner in this field, it's easy to pick holes in their chances either. Dunn'o looks overpriced for me though. Con Artist is out of the race so he is the only confirmed front-runner in the field and might get an easy lead. He's proven class on soft ground and over 1 mile, he did also fairly well the last two years at his seasonal reappearance. He's never won of a mark off 95. He won of a mark off 94 at Sandown last year though. He made all that day and won in good style. If this here today is not only a pipe opener but a race for that he is fit enough then he must have a fair chance to run a good race and to finish in the money at least.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 20th May 2.20 Stratford - High Storm - He has been tried at higher class races previously but to no avail being outclassed by other rivals, but did come good last time out when dropped to a more suitable class last time out. He is still at a level today which could suit and should handle the distance and going today. He has to give 7lb's all round but his winning expereince may count here against his rivals. Trainer Rebecca Curtis has had 7 wins a 4 places from her last 20 runners for an L.S.P. of +4pts. 2.20 Stratford: High Storm - 1pt win @ 11/8 BetFred (BOG)

Re: BBOTD Sunday 20th May 230 MR; Moonstreaker EW (33/1 Bet365) Looked at the cards on the RP this morning and noticed this one was running, had noted it last time here running better than his finishing position suggested and thought the 10/1 in the f/c betting was fair enough only to be amazed at the real prices so have to get involved. Was a fair novice last year and went off track when not taking all that well to fences and now back over hurdles on a much reduced mark can begin to make his presence felt i reckon. Often front runs but will have a job on with Tarayrat in the race but at the odds is hard to resist.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 20th May 3.30 Market Rasen Springfield Raki ran a decent race lto at this trip. Up a few pounds for that but still well below his last winning mark and his trun could be here today to get his head back in front.Wasn't beaten that far in the last race and Henry brooke takes the ride back now so theres a good chance he will time things just right. Likes this track so looks set to run a big race. 1 Pt win 11/2 Sportingbet

Re: BBOTD Sunday 20th May 1650 stratford 1pt win champagne n caviar 9/4 bet365 rebecca curtis has a good record in these type of races, 10 winners and 10 places out of 37 winners and a 27% win rate,had 2 entries for this race, but only runs the selection,dickie johnson takes the ride

Re: BBOTD Sunday 20th May 3.20 STRATFORD OWEN GLENDOWER @ 6/1 CORAL Has shown enough on his 5 chase starts to win a race like this, his 3rd to Hunt Ball at Cheltenham off this mark would give him a strong chance today, he followed that up with another solid effort off the same mark. Ground and trip are ideal. Stable jockey rides this in preference to stables other horse and atable has a 22% strike rate at the track.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 20th May *Bosun Breeze - Ripon 5:10* Could be a Barron plot here, get the horse well-handicapped and then strike for gold. Has had a long break, so should be fresh and fit. Has won over 5f, and runs off 68, 4 pounds lower than when 2nd at Musselburgh last year. Take off the claimer's 5 pounds, and it is very well treated here, on a career-low mark. Was 2nd of 17 here over C+D last year off a 4 pound higher mark of 72. Big chance. *1 Point WIN @ 7/1 VC BOG*

Re: BBOTD Sunday 20th May Jockey Paul Carberry could turn out the perfect man on-board the pick today as the horse looks like he loves coming off the pace, the 6yr old gelding still has a low mileage but has yet to get a win under him but that could change today. The horse has only raced once before at today's course and P.Carberry gets the leg up for the first time, if they get their pace they should go close. 2:55 Limerick - Colberay. 1pt win bet @ 8/1 most firms Betfred Lads etc etc ''BOG''

Re: BBOTD Sunday 20th May Limerick 4.25 Benefit Of Porter 7-1 (bog) Betfred Having been laid down with a heavy cold and only just dragged myself out of bed to look at the runners I can't be fully confident today. However, Patrick Sinnott's mare looks to have her conditions here on only her 2nd chase start. The jolly, Shop DJ, is clearly capable of taking this if on top of her game but her hold up style won't be suited to this track and she's has a long hard season so has to be opposed at the odds. Our Victoria is held by the selection on her victory at Listowel and Royal Choice is held through a line with Our Victoria. Of the obvious dangers, that leaves Definite Class who registered her best effort when easily taking a chase at Kilbeggan last time out. A strict reading of that form would make her the selection as she clocked by far the fastest time of the day. However, there are doubts as the short priced fav under performed in a weak race leaving 16-1 and 14-1 shots to chase her home. At around the 3-1 mark she's plenty short enough. The selection is consistent, loves this fast ground and has the services of Barry Geraghty (1 win, 1 second for the yard) and likes to race near the front. That gives her a good chance on only her second outing over fences

Re: BBOTD Sunday 20th May

4.10 Ripon - 1pt win Veiled Applause @ 9/1 (Ladbrokes) Michael O'Connell is operating at a 24% for John Quinn and this is the trainer's only runner on the card here. Although this one doesn't win very often and needs the cards to fall right, I'm quietly confident that things are right for him today and although he's effectively 10lbs higher for his recent win, with the rider no longer claiming 3lbs, he has won off higher in the past, and I'm hoping he isn't regressing in old age too much. That aforementioned victory at Thirsk recently suggested he had plenty of ability left in him as he travelled powerfully into contention and found plenty to score by an eased-down 2l. He was value for further and the result was never in doubt, really. He clearly enjoys soft ground and a good pace - and I feel he'll get it today for all he does stay further. That could well be a big advantage in the conditions here at the finish, with there appearing a few pacesetters in the race. He usually travels well and should come into the race sweetly should the expected pace come to fruition. Quite remarkably, six of the eleven runners have led on at least one of the last two starts so it could play into the hands of a closer. Although Veiled Applause didn't travel as well as usual last time, the race wasn't ideal for him. It was a bit of a tactical affair and he was held up off a slow pace. He kept on well under the relatively inexperienced Kevin Lundie and it's an advantage to see O'Connell back on board today. Although he's far from a good thing off this mark, he's likely to run his race, and with conditions to suit, it could fall into his lap a little at a track he's won at in the past.
Called tremendously well Rupert. Cracking tip at a cracking price! :ok

Re: BBOTD Sunday 20th May Today I am looking at the 510. There aren't many in this field with proven soft ground form. Baybshambles is perhaps the exception. His mark has dropped right down in recent times and he comes into this on the back of a solid effort last time. Perhaps more importantly he should get a good tow around here. I don't expect the pace to be too strong and he easily outstay a load of these. Baybshambles @ 8/1 with sporting bet

Re: BBOTD Sunday 20th May DIVERTIMENTI 5.10 Ripon. 0.5 points each way. Cannot get close on recent form, but that's all been on the all weather and this good to soft ground will make the 5f race as a little bit further which should suit him. Handicapper puts him in off a mark of 62, and although that's 11lb higher than his latest all weather run, it still gives him chances of a win on his best turf form. Needs to bounce back, but a return to turf could see that happen. 25/1 Victor Chandler BOG

4.10 Ripon - 1pt win Veiled Applause @ 9/1 (Ladbrokes) Michael O'Connell is operating at a 24% for John Quinn and this is the trainer's only runner on the card here. Although this one doesn't win very often and needs the cards to fall right, I'm quietly confident that things are right for him today and although he's effectively 10lbs higher for his recent win, with the rider no longer claiming 3lbs, he has won off higher in the past, and I'm hoping he isn't regressing in old age too much. That aforementioned victory at Thirsk recently suggested he had plenty of ability left in him as he travelled powerfully into contention and found plenty to score by an eased-down 2l. He was value for further and the result was never in doubt, really. He clearly enjoys soft ground and a good pace - and I feel he'll get it today for all he does stay further. That could well be a big advantage in the conditions here at the finish, with there appearing a few pacesetters in the race. He usually travels well and should come into the race sweetly should the expected pace come to fruition. Quite remarkably, six of the eleven runners have led on at least one of the last two starts so it could play into the hands of a closer. Although Veiled Applause didn't travel as well as usual last time, the race wasn't ideal for him. It was a bit of a tactical affair and he was held up off a slow pace. He kept on well under the relatively inexperienced Kevin Lundie and it's an advantage to see O'Connell back on board today. Although he's far from a good thing off this mark, he's likely to run his race, and with conditions to suit, it could fall into his lap a little at a track he's won at in the past.
Watched the race after work in the bookies because I wanted to see how Jonny Lesters Hair got on today and fair play you nailed this on the head. Called the race exactly as it panned out, absolutely brilliant mate. Well done and well deserved, hope I can call races like that in future!

Re: BBOTD Sunday 20th May 4.40 Ripon - Choc'a'moca - 25/1 WH Excuses in his last two starts and has dropped down to a mark he's capable of winning from. Trip/ground not a concern and stable in better form now with stable jockey on board. Hoping the jock takes a punt and goes far side and looks to dominate down there. Think this one is a massive price.

*Bosun Breeze - Ripon 5:10* Could be a Barron plot here, get the horse well-handicapped and then strike for gold. Has had a long break, so should be fresh and fit. Has won over 5f, and runs off 68, 4 pounds lower than when 2nd at Musselburgh last year. Take off the claimer's 5 pounds, and it is very well treated here, on a career-low mark. Was 2nd of 17 here over C+D last year off a 4 pound higher mark of 72. Big chance. *1 Point WIN @ 7/1 VC BOG*
Brilliant mate, nice one!

*Bosun Breeze - Ripon 5:10* Could be a Barron plot here, get the horse well-handicapped and then strike for gold. Has had a long break, so should be fresh and fit. Has won over 5f, and runs off 68, 4 pounds lower than when 2nd at Musselburgh last year. Take off the claimer's 5 pounds, and it is very well treated here, on a career-low mark. Was 2nd of 17 here over C+D last year off a 4 pound higher mark of 72. Big chance. *1 Point WIN @ 7/1 VC BOG*
Great tipping mate

Re: BBOTD Sunday 20th May 5.35 Navan Firethorn EW 40/1 Bet365 Missed all of today's racing so this is all I have to go with. Nothing stands out in the race at the top of the market so I will take a chance on this reasonably well related horse. I like the trainer and the jockey and this looks a pretty weak maiden. He wouldn't have to be special to get involved in this race.

Welcome back, Boom !

Yet another cracking post and well done.