Cheltenham Festival 2011 Preview Nights

Exeter Racecourse Preview Evening – Thursday 24th February Panel: MC – Zoey Bird (ZB) David Pipe (DP) Nick Williams (NW) Paul Nicholls (PN) Philip Hobbs (PH) Andrew King (AK) Paddy Power, represented by Paul Binfield (PB) TUESDAY ZB: Let’s start with the first race of the 2011 Festival, the Supreme Novices’ Hurdle…Cue Card sets a very high standard… NW: His best form was shown before Christmas so that would be a worry for me. Nicky Henderson’s horses are flying and both of his (Spirit Son and Sprinter Sacre) can shake up the favourite. AK: Both of Henderson’s horses are high class. Sprinter Sacre potentially better of the pair but whether they can deal with Cue Card is another matter. PB: Barry Geraghty has a tough choice between the two Henderson horses but it’ll take a good one to Beat Cue Card PN: For me Spirit Son is the best of the two Henderson horses. He killed Cedre Bleu here (at Exeter) and I think quite a lot of Cedre Bleu. Al Ferof is a big price though, he jumps really well but he does have to improve. PH: Cue Card is very good but I agree with Nick that not running for a while may be an issue. Dunraven Storm has a squeak if I can get him there but he banged a joint this week. ZB: On to the Arkle, Paul, what about Ghizao? PN: He’s in good order and worked really well on Sunday. His form is good and he goes well fresh. He’s had a little break which was always the plan as we’re looking at good to Cheltenham then Aintree and then Punchestown. I can’t have Finian’s Rainbow so Medermit is the one to beat. PH: We’ll decide after this weekend about whether Captain Chris goes here or the Jewson. I think 2m4f is his trip but Richard Johnson thinks 2m is! Jewson looks easier. PB: Starluck is interesting if connections decide to come here, not Aintree. AK: I thought Captain Chris was unlucky to be beaten by Medermit at Sandown last time but Ghizao is still the one to beat. NW: Finian’s Rainbow has been running in uncompetitive heats and so Medermit shades it for me. DP: I quite like Finian’s Rainbow but Ghizao is rock solid. I’d prefer Captain Chris in the 2m4f race (Jewson). ZB: Champion Hurdle, the main race of the entire meeting? PH: Menorah is great. Everything has gone to plan, I’m very happy with him and it’s all systems go. AK: Binocular was very impressive last year and it’s tough to oppose him this year. Menorah and Peddlers Cross the obvious dangers. PB: Hurricane Fly is a big loser for us but Dunguib is a big price for me. NW: Front of the betting is solid but of that group I’d just give Menorah the edge. PN: It’s a good renewal. Menorah and Peddlers Cross are the two I’d like and if Jason Maguire’s ban is upheld I wouldn’t be surprised if Ruby (Walsh) took the ride on Peddlers Cross. Other Tuesday action… ZB: David, Great Endeavour for the Andy Stewart sponsored race? DP: He’s crying out for the step up in trip over fences so we’ll either run here or the Gold Cup. ZB: Reve De Sivola for the same race Nick? NW: Off a mark of 140 he should be competitive, the step up in trip will really help. ZB: Anything else on day one for you Paul? PN: Definity will run in the Centenary Novices’ Chase. His current mark is very nice. WEDNESDAY ZB: Let’s start with the Neptune… PB: Oscar Wells has been impressive so far but favourites don’t have a great record in this race (two wins in last 10 years). AK: Minella class didn’t look great when beaten at Huntingdon so now it’s very open. ZB: So Young? PB: It’s tricky because we don’t know what might run in the Albert Bartlett. That said, Bobs Worth will be tough to beat in either race! PN: Rock On Ruby ran well at Cheltenham last time and on better ground I think we can bridge the 2 length gap with Bobs Worth. The form of that race is solid and we have a great chance. ZB: Time For Rupert sets a solid standard in the RSA? NW: He’s a strong contender but, like Cue Card, he hasn’t run for a while which could be a problem. Aiteen Thirtythree’s price is wrong compared to the likes of Wymott and Wayward Prince, he should be shorter. PN: Aiteen Thirtythree is rated 159 which is only 2lbs behind Time For Rupert so the handicapper has them close. I’ve always thought he was a good horse, ever since his Point-to-Point days and he’s done nothing wrong so far. Time For Rupert is the one to beat. AK: I’d love to see Wishfull Thinking here as for me he as a massive e/w chance. Jessies Dream has a very good chance. PB: Jessies Dream has a massive chance, along with Master Of The Hall who did it nicely in the Reynoldstown at Ascot last weekend. ZB: On to the Champion Chase, how is Master Minded Paul? PN: I don’t think we’ll ever repeat his performance from 3 years ago. He’s had a nice break since Ascot and looked really well at evening stables tonight. I think everyone has us to beat. Woolcombe Folly, on good ground, will go very well. His progress this year has amazed me. PB: Somersby should run in the Ryanair but Master Minded will be tough to beat. Big Zeb is Paddy Power’s NAP of the meeting. AK: Master Minded has an excellent chance but Captain Cee Bee is interesting at a price, I know AP McCoy likes him. It’s completely ridiculous that Somersby is running here and not the Ryanair. ZB: Champion Bumper anyone…?! PH: Persian Snow’s Ascot defeat was due to the ground but he wouldn’t have a strong chance anyway. AK: I’d like to see Knight Pass win but Allure Of Illusion is apparently ‘the one’ for Ireland. PB: Star Neuville is interesting, Shark Hanlon think he’s the best of the Irish. Samain did it nicely last time but who knows what Willie Mullins’ best bumper horse is! I have no idea about Raise The Beat despite there being plenty of money for him recently. Other Wednesday action… NW: For Non Stop will definitely run in the Coral Cup. I’m keen on his chances off 135. PN: Pistolet Noir has a genuine e/w chance in the Coral Cup at a nice price. DP: Chartreux has been put away deliberately for the Festival, he’s a very nice horse. He’ll make a lovely chaser next year. THURSDAY PH: The Jewson is easier than the Arkle and RSA so makes sense so run Wishfull Thinking here. AK: Captain Chris a cracking bet if running here, the race is tailor-made for him. NW: Hells Bay is extremely consistent but Wishfull Thinking is the one. PN: I’m having a tough job getting Royal Charm right. Robinson Collonges is the interesting one. He’s been deliberately kept fresh and he’d have a good chance on good ground. ZB: Ryanair, Poquelin Paul? PN: He’s improved since last year and worked really well on Sunday so he’s got a leading chance. Tranquil Sea needs it soft, Riverside Theatre is a ‘maybe’ and Kalahari King has become disappointing so it looks a weak Grade 1. AK: Poquelin has a massive chance on good ground. ZB: On to the World Hurdle…a duel between Big Buck’s and Grands Crus? PN: Big Buck’s is in good form and I’m very happy with him. DP: There’s maybe more to come from Grands Crus, he’s only had 6 races. Big Buck’s is one of the best and it will be great if we can get both of them there in one piece. PN: If he doesn’t win it’ll be because he’s beat himself by not being relaxed. The better the race the better he’ll win. PB: Fiveforthree has had plenty of problems but has always been held in high regard. This looks a proper contest though as Solwhit would be another interesting runner. ZB: So let’s have a quick head count of the panel, Bucks or Crus? I’m with Big Buck’s. PB: Big Buck’s AK: Big Buck’s NW: Grands Crus PH: Big Buck’s FRIDAY ZB: What wins the Triumph? PB: Maybe hold your bets on Unaccompanied who I’ve heard a rumour about may go to the Supreme. Be careful. AK: Grandouet would be choice of the Henderson runners (A Media Luz the other) but not sure of their plans yet. I like Brampour though, the race should suit Paul? PN: He’s improved since Kempton and better ground will suit. In an open race he has a chance. I shouldn’t have run Sam Winner at Chepstow on soft ground and as it stands he’s the best of mine. NW: I think that form shown in the 6 weeks prior to the race is very important and so Unaccompanied gets my vote. PN: The Adonis at Kempton is normally very informative so keep an eye on Saturday’ race. ZB: Albert Bartlett… NW: I like Back In Focus, he was impressive at the weekend. PN: Join Together runs. He has good course form and is improving. Again, it looks an open race so he’d have a chance. PB: Tricky. First Lieutenant may go for the Neptune but if he line sup here would be interesting. AK: I liked Court In Motion until he got beat at the weekend! I can’t work him out! ZB: On to the Gold Cup… PN: Denman is in good form and working well, he looks great. I didn’t think he was finishing his races so we’ve operated on him. I’m hopeful of a big run, on Hennessy weights he can win. ZB: Diamond Harry Nick? NW: 3 weeks after the Hennessy he was still flying and I wish I’d never said he’ll come here fresh. Keeping him at that level for the last 3/4 months has been impossible as he’s galloped far more than I would have wanted and a run would have suited him much better. As a result, I was much happier with him a month after the Hennessy than I am now – I’ve mismanaged him. We got the run of the race in the Hennessy as not only did we get 2st off Denman he basically gave us 10 lengths too by going wide. For him to finish in 3rd was amazing considering everything that happen and the fact we were at our best that day. It was a great effort from him. PN: Kauto Star’s blood was not right after the King George but he seems fine now. He always works well at home so appears as good as ever. Overall it looks an open race. Long Run’s Cheltenham form is disappointing AK: Imperial Commander has a big question mark over him as apparently his recent work at Warwick was poor. Not sure Denman and Kauto can win at their age and Long Run is probably better on a flat track so maybe Midnight Chase. He has cracking course form and has a great chance to get in the frame. PB: Of the Irish, I’d have Pandorama over Kempes but this race looks a cracker with so many potential winners. CHARITY BETS PN: Aiteen Thirtythree (RSA) DP: Midnight Chase e/w (Gold cup) PH: Menorah (Champion Hurdle) NW: For Non Stop (Coral Cup) AK: Captain Cee Bee (Champion Chase) ZB: Kilcrea Kim (Albert Bartlett)

Re: Cheltenham Festival 2011 Preview Nights OSWESTRY CRICKET CLUB CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL PREVIEW EVENING Wednesday, March 2nd Organised by Mark Ball (MB) of Let’s Live Racing who chaired the evening, the panel consisted of the always-entertaining journalist and punter Mark Winstanley (MW) who was joined by Noel Fehily (NF) who rode the good Paul Nicholls horses before his wrist injury (reports he should be back in 6 weeks), Paul Ferguson (PF) who writes for Racing Ahead and produces his own Jumpers To Follow publication and Richard Johnson (RJ) who was stepping in at late notice to replace Nicky Henderson’s assistant Tom Symonds who was required to be at Folkestone. Richard had to leave at half-way so quickly went through the last two days hence his lighter copy for Thursday and Friday. Cheltenham Festival Betting Guide author Paul Jones stepped in to replace him for the last two days’ analysis but his comments for all four days will be listed in tomorrow’s copy when he is appearing on the Bangor panel. SUPREME NOVICES’ HURDLE MW: I didn’t like the way Cue Card buckled under pressure against Menorah and we’ve seen these Champion Bumper winners rolled over in this race in the last three years. Sprinter Sacre looks too inexperienced and Zaidpour seems to be going backwards faster than Steve Redgrave. I’m told Geraghty rides Spirit Son and think he will win so back it with Paddy Power who give money back if Cue Card wins. NF: Cue Card has a seriously high rating for a novice so the one to beat. Al Ferof has a good e/w chance though having been second to Cue Card in the bumper. I rode him at Cheltenham when he fell and would have beaten Prince Of Pirates where I made the running but getting a lead off a fast pace will be ideal. Megastar can also go well and have e/w chances if Good ground. PF: I backed Zaidpour early season and hope we get Good ground as think that will improve him but maybe he is a better going right-handed. Cue Card is the one for me now though and he is rated 8lbs higher now than Menorah was for winning the race last year. RJ: I rode Dunraven Storm when he was second to Cue Card and I could not believe how easily he beat me. The long range forecast is not for much rain at all which will suit him and he has a great e/w chance considering he is rated as high as 147. ARKLE TROPHY MW: The best hurdler normally wins the Arkle and Medermit and Starluck are clear on hurdle ratings but I don’t think Starluck likes the track. Forget Medermit’s run in the Champion Hurdle as he had back problems and he didn’t get home over 2m5f in the Dipper but a fast run 2m will suit him. I think Finian’s Rainbow has to lead and that is hardly ideal and Choc will sit about 4th as usual which is ideal off a fast pace for a horse that stays further. 4/1 now, Medermit will be 5/2 or less on the day and is the best bet now for Day One. NF: I’m a big fan of Finian’s Rainbow. Being held up disrupted his rhythm at Warwick. Medermit is the danger more so than Ghizao. PF: It’s between Medermit and Finian’s Rainbow but Medermit was much the better hurdler which counts for a lot in this race and 4/1 is a knocking e/w bet here and now. RJ: Captain Chris is more likely to go for the Jewson looking at the long range weather forecast. I have been impressed with Medermit who is the class act and will like the better ground. Ghizao is very short if it is Good ground as he wants it much softer. CHAMPION HURDLE MW: I don’t fancy Peddlers Cross one iota who beat nothing at Newbury as everyone knew Binocular wasn’t ready. I am laying it until the cows come home. Hurricane Fly is too short for what he has done and Silviniaco Conti has done nothing for Menorah’s form. If Cue Card bolts up in the Supreme only then will Menorah be the right price but at present he is too short. I couldn’t back Dunguib with counterfeit. Oscar Whisky did a great piece of work on the Kempton All-Weather yesterday. Thousand Stars could be the turn up horse of the race, 66/1 is too big e/w about him and Mille Chief is not good enough for a 14/1 shot. I don’t know why people knocking Binocular, he is only being trained for one race and Henderson is the master in this race. He is the one to beat with Thousand Stars the e/w value. NF: Last year’s Binocular will win but not sure if he will put up the same performance. Peddlers Cross for me if any juice. I think it is between these two. PF: Hurricane Fly can only be better in a race like the Champion Hurdle than those races in Ireland for Good ground. It’s hard to kick Menorah out of the first three. I think this will be set up for the stalking horses so Peddlers Cross is vulnerable. RJ: Menorah galloped at Exeter yesterday. Philip doesn’t usually get excited but he sounded very excited on the phone when he told me about it. He loves Cheltenham as his preparation has gone as good as hoped for. He is a much stronger horse this year, I just hope he is good enough. Binocular is the only horse that really worries me. TUESDAY SHOULDER RACES MW: Great Endeavour has a great chance in Stewart Family Spinal Research Handicap. Must have Good ground and he is still in the Gold Cup. Was soft in the Paddy Power and he has been saved for this. Back the two J P McManus horses non-runner no-bet Quantitativeeasing and Aigle D’Or in the Centenary Chase, one will run and be nearly favourite, they are entered if everything including the Boat Race and Dancing On Ice so it has to be non-runner no bet. PF: Reve De Sivola is well handicapped for the three mile handicap chase through Wishfull Thinking and 3m will help him get more organised. If he runs in the Centenary I like Tullamore Dew who was placed in the Coral Cup last year and is 2/4 over fences including a second to Medermit. RJ: Rougham has a chance in the Centenary on his Ascot run but he is a front runner and will be so hard to make all in that race. MB: I spoke with Tom Symonds earlier and he says Rackham Lerouge has a big chance in the Centenary. He is a half-brother to Punchestowns but a better jumper and they think he is well handicapped. NEPTUNE INVESTMENTS MANAGEMENT HURDLE MW: I’ve been told Minella Class came back injured from Huntingdon so most unlikely to run. Prince Of Pirates should not be forgotten for same yard At 33/1 (runs soon so will be 14s if wins) but Bobs Worth is one for me. NF: I have ridden Rock On Ruby and will be surprised if he is good enough, good horse though he is. I’m not sure he is up to winning a Neptune. Bobs Worth best of British but could need cut. The Irish form is much stronger and Oscars Well is the one. PF: I think the Irish form is stronger but Oscars Well is shortening up too much. So Young dropped back to 2m easily last time just like Mikael D’Haguenet did before he won this race and he is better value with First Lieutenant also a player on Good ground. RJ: No real view but I think Megastar should run in this. RSA CHASE MW: Time For Rupert will be near 6/4 on the day so I’ve taken 5/2 with a view to trading off. The form is just working out so well. NF: Eighteenthirtythree will only run if there is enough juice in the ground for him. He has a big shout if he runs though. PF: Jessies Dream is too short at 8/1 and Mikael D’Haguenet has the more natural ability of the Irish but maybe he wants a right-handed track over fences. It has to be Time For Rupert who has much the best form and jumps well. RJ: I followed Aiteenthirtythree round at Newbury and he looks like he wants a more galloping track than Cheltenham and could get in trouble round these twists and turns on Good ground. Time For Rupert is the banker of the meeting if 100% on the day. The doubt is he missed his prep race so is he totally healthy? He is the best horse by a long way. I am trying to convince Philip to run Wishfull Thinking in this if Good ground as 3m on Good ground is what he wants. CHAMPION CHASE MW: I think last year’s race was rubbish and can’t get it out of my head how Master Minded walked up the hill. Somersby doesn’t jump well enough. Don’t underestimate French Opera at 25/1 if it is Good ground. Woolcombe Folly is a cracking e/w bet. NF: This is a very ground dependant race as Master Minded has to have juice now and forecast conditions are more in Big Zeb’s favour. If the real Big Zeb turns up on decent ground he will win. Woolcombe Folly has a long way to go and the ground will need to come up like a road. I don’t think he is good enough. PF: On Good ground Big Zeb is the one to beat but no real strong view so I would only tentatively go with him. Mad Max e/w at 40/1 is appealing now he has been tubed as was still in front 2 out in the Arkle last year before bad mistake. RJ: Somersby should be in the Ryanair. He will get run off his feet on Good ground in the Champion Chase. Interesting that Noel says the ground is a massive key to Master Minded. WEDNESDAY SHOULDER RACES MW: Psycho is interesting off 145 if he runs in the Coral Cup. Titan De Sarti hasn’t had Good ground yet which he needs for Fred Winter. Also interested in Qalinas for that race, could be Pipe’s Imperial Cup-Festival double bonus horse. Had a good word for Star Neuville for the bumper. His trainer doesn’t come over from Ireland very often. NF: I think Jonjo O’Neill likes Born Again for the NH Chase which he was won so many times and he won well at Haydock. I’ve ridden Knight Pass who is a gorgeous horse and was even more impressed with him at Southwell. The slight worry is he could get buzzed up by the crowd. I’m told Allure Of Illusion will be backed into favouritism. PF: Quel Esprit could be a class above them in the NH Chase at 10/1 is a cracking bet. Plan A won well last time when Carberry looked at pains not to win very far and he is interesting for Fred Winter with Titan De Sarti who I am annoyed has gone uo 6lbs for staying in his box. Knight Pass’ form is working out well in the bumper where Raise The Beat could be the best of the Irish. RJ: I rode Beshabar last time when he just won but he had only been back 6-8 weeks so will improve and would stay 5m. I don’t know which amateur rides him in the four-miler yet but he was running well at the track earlier in the season when the yard were out of form. He is a 148-rated hurdler and a very good horse that jumps well. We have been waiting for Good ground with Duke Of Lucca who runs either in the Coral Cup or Pertemps Final. I was hoping he could have been a World Hurdle horse at the start of the season. Architrave could go Fred Winter or Triumph. His last run at Cheltenham was when the stable were under a cloud. In the bumper Cheltenian won despite being keen last time. I prefer Persian Snow though as the ground was too soft last time and he would be my choice of the two on Good ground. RYANAIR CHASE MW: One of the easier races to find the winner of. Poquelin at 9/2 will take the world of beating. He’s been laid out for it and is bombproof at a quarter the odds a place. Riverside Theatre is better right-handed. Kalahari King will shorten to near 9/2 on the day. NF: Agree with Couch, he’s a worthy favourite. I doubt Riverside Theatre will run. Kalahari King is an each-way possible. I like Weird Al but I don’t know how he’s been training after his wind op and I’m not sure he goes in this. PF: Kalahari King is an each-way bet at the prices. I don’t totally agree that we’ve got enough evidence to suggest that going left-handed is a total negative for Riverside Theatre. I’d rather be with him than Poquelin. JEWSON NOVICES’ CHASE MW: I like Mr Gardner. He was going to go close to winning but for stumbling at Sandown last time. He was sore afterwards but is OK now, likes good ground and is great value at 14/1. That said, I don’t think this race should be held – it devalues the Festival. NF: I’ve been a big Captain Chris fan from last year over hurdles. He’s a much better horse on faster ground and I’ll stick with him. Henry De Bromhead is very keen on Loosen My Load. Robinson Collonges is a decent horse but I’m not totally convinced about his jumping around Cheltenham. He’s perhaps better on a flat track. PF: He’s a little bit enigmatic but Hells Bay has now got his act together and his course and distance form is rock solid. 9/1 is a fair price. The trip and likely ground will suit Noble Prince, and Loosen My Load has been crying out for better ground. RJ: If Captain Chris and Wishfull Thinking both ran here I would probably ride Captain Chris. He is slightly better on a right-handed track but I would hope that on Good ground he will be okay. WORLD HURDLE MW: Mourad’s a great bet in the market without Big Buck’s. Willie thinks he’s improved and he’s one of the bets of the Festival. I’m totally against Grands Crus, who’s better on softer ground. His speed figure when winning at Cheltenham the other day was terrible. The press have got hold of him. Over the years, I’ve noticed people tend to get carried away with horses that win on Channel 4 and the price is shorter than it would otherwise be. 5/4 Big Buck’s or 5/2 Grands Crus? It’s a no brainer! Fiveforthree is another to consider in the without the favourite market. NF: Big Buck’s is an absolute certainty and I can’t have Grands Crus on my mind. Solwhit’s a grade 1 winner over two and a half so if he gets there he’s a massive price, and I think he probably will get it so he’s my best bet for a place. PF: I echo Noel. Big Buck’s is nailed on. I’ve backed Grands Crus the first twice this season but I won’t back him to beat Big Buck’s. Tom Scudamore is convinced Grands Crus needs soft ground. I think Solwhit will get home so at 16s is worth a small each-way bet. THURSDAY SHOULDER RACES MW: In the Pertemps I’ve backed Lush Life, who hated soft ground last time – he’s well in off 10-7. And Gwanako, owned by my mate Andy Stewart. He’s had a couple of nice spins and if Ruby rides he won’t be 20s. The really interesting one is Barbers Shop off 143. Her Majesty must have threatened the Handicapper with Traitor’s Gate. I’ve been told the plan is this, he’s got good course form and I’ll fancy him more if the old jelly bean turns up. In the Festival Plate I suggest you back both J P McManus horses – Quantitativeeasing and Aigle D’or with the non runner no bet proviso. Both will be shorter on the day. Quiscover Fontaine is a decent animal and interests me a little bit. I like a Pipe horse that has recent form figures of PP against its name so Gentle Ranger’s form is ideal for the Kim Muir! NF: The Pertemps is an absolute lottery but Kilcrea Kim is a horse I like a lot and I’d give a little chance to Lush Life. The Plate is another lottery but keep an eye on J P’s runners. Aigle D’or looks the best weighted of them. If Bouggler gets good ground this could be right up his street. PF: In the Pertemps, Kilcrea Kim – if he runs. Alfie Spinner is quite unexposed over the trip. Two others I like are Chartreux and Summit Meeting. However, I haven’t had a bet. I like Tullamore Dew for the Plate – if he runs – and will basically back him wherever he turns up. I echo what the others say about J P but Quantitativeeasing may just want a trip. For the Kim Muir, I’d shortlist Arabella Boy and, if he gets in (which I don’t think he will), Wolf Moon, who has good form around Cheltenham. TRIUMPH HURDLE MW: I’ve taken a flyer on Moose Moran at 33s. He’s ex-Cecil, and it was Cecil who suggested to the owner that he go hurdling, but he wants decent ground. Geraghty is keen to have a feel of him as he’s ridden the rest of Henderson’s, which suggests the others are a much of a much ness. He goes at Newbury on Friday. I’d also throw in Smad Place because King has a phenomenal record in this race. NF: Sam Winner’s early season form is as good as anything on offer. I think he disappointed last time because he came out again too quickly. He’s a better horse fresh. This is not the greatest of Triumphs. PF: I’m with Sam Winner. His debut effort is the best form on offer. He got bogged down last time at Chepstow. I saw Third Intention last week at Haydock, and like him a lot, though he may just be an Aintree horse, ditto A Media Luz. ALBERT BARTLETT NOVICES’ HURDLE MW: I’ve backed Bobs Worth, and also like Mossley, who definitely wants good ground. I’ve been impressed with Champion Court, too. NF: I was very impressed with Back In Focus the other day – it was a massive performance and he can only improve. A hell of a horse with juice in the ground. I’m also a big Kilcrea Kim fan if he runs here. PF: I’m with Bobs Worth if he turns up. If not, then Mossley, who wants better ground. It was a stunning performance by Back In Focus but he might want soft ground. Kilcrea Kim is solid. And Westmeath of Paul Nolan’s is interesting at a decent price. RJ: Kilcrea Kim has a fanastic attitude and could go here or the Pertemps Final. He got tired when fifth at Cheltenham over 3m before he won at Sandown over 2m5f but he will stay 3m fine on Good ground GOLD CUP MW: All the top ones are vulnerable. I can’t work Long Run out. He’s never jumped a fence in two outings at Cheltenham – perhaps it’s the undulations. I’ve yet to see a hill in French races! He’s a stone better at Kempton but I accept I may be wrong about him. I can’t have Kauto. I love him to death – he’s the best horse in my lifetime – but he should have been retired. I don’t like Imperial Commander and Denman has had more wind ops than a vindaloo taster! I’ve backed Kempes at a big price and was very impressed with him the other day. He’s coming into the race on a high. China Rock is not without a chance – his jockey went too soon on him last time. I couldn’t have Diamond Harry with counterfeit. NF: Given the choice, I’d ride Long Run. He didn’t get into a rhythm around here last season but the King George was a completely different kettle of fish. He’s a horse that just needs letting alone, like a lot of French horses. If he reproduces his King George win, he’s by far the best of the young horses but he’s still got a bit to find with some of the others. Imperial Commander is a worthy favourite but Denman will always give you a run for your money and is a certainty to be in the first three. Diamond Harry is a Newbury-type track specialist. PF: Out of the old brigade I’d rather be with Imperial Commander, who’s best fresh though of course his absence is a slight concern. I was disappointed with Long Run around here in the Paddy Power but would give him one more chance on the course. He’s short enough but could be the next superstar. He’s stamina laden so the trip is not a problem. Diamond Harry at 14s stood out and I think he can mix it at this grade but there are negative vibes from the yard. RJ: Planet Of Sound runs and has had a wind operation since the King George. He choked like crazy in the Ryanair so last year so ignore that and then won the Grade 1 at Punchestown. 66/1 is too big. FRIDAY SHOULDER RACES MC: Tanks For That is the best bet of the meeting in the Grand Annual. I’ve been told he’s improved out of all recognition. PF: I respect Tanks For That but I like Shoreacres, who’s got rock-solid Festival form and has a massive chance if he gets in. If he doesn’t, then the Red Rum at Aintree would also suit. RJ: Snap Tie worked well with Menorah yesterday though not as well as you might expect and has been dropped 6lbs since he last ran over hurdles in the Champion Hurdle. He has a massive chance in the County Hurdle. He is definitely the class horse of the race and first time out is not a problem. He seems as good as ever. NAPS MW: Tanks For That NF: Sam Winner PF: Time For Rupert

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.