Advice for organising a Cheltenham Tipping Competition

Hi, I am on another forum (non horse racing) and there is a few of us who would have a bet on the major festivals etc. I plan to run a tipping competition between us all, I am not that clued up on it all so all help much appreciated. Just looking for peoples advice on how best to do this, I will throw up an example below and maybe people can give their own recommendations etc.

1. 2 Selections per race 2. Non Handicaps - 10pts for 1st place, 5 for 2nd place and 2 for 3rd place Handicaps - 13 pts for 1st place, 7 for 2nd place 4 for 3rd place and 2 for 4th place. 3. If one of your selections is a non-runner/withdrawn it is replaced with fav/second fav and so on - if joint or co-favs and it wins/placed you will get half the points if joint fav and if co-fav of 3 for example - one-third of points. 3.Person with highest total of points at the end win

OR

1. 1 selection per race 2. 1 point win or .5pts each way 3. All prices are SP only 4. If selection is a non-runner, replaced by favourite 5. Person with highest points at the end wins

OR

1. 2 selections per race 2. Only 1 selection can be an each way bet, but if you like both selections can be a win bet(stop people going for 2 each way bets on big priced horses hoping to get them placed) 2. 1 point win or .5pts each way 3. All prices are SP only 4. If selection is a non-runner, replaced by favourite/second fav and so on 5. Person with highest points at the end wins.

One of the reasons I am suggesting two selections per race is because not everybody is really into horse-racing and it's not a horse racing forum, also gives people more interest in a race with two runners instead of one. Also do people think that 1 point bet at SP instead of points for finishing position may reward those lucky people who may have two winners at 33/1 & 20/1 respectively for example, whereas somebody might select 7 winners and 5 placed horses and if we went with points based on finishing position (first 3 or first 4) they would be better rewarded than the person who had two winners even though they where bigger prices. I am throwing it out to the board so just looking for peoples advice. Thanks :)

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.