BBOTD Sunday 5th May

15:10 Newmarket
Decent looking class 2 handicap this with several lining up holding good claims. The one I like best is one of the 4 year olds in the race and that is Sir Michael Stoute's
Ladyship
. Although she has only won the one race from seven so far, I feel there will be more to come from this lightly raced filly. She made her debut over course and distance in 2011 as a 2 year old where she finished 3/13 although she was well beaten. She then appeared at Windsor in another maiden race where she was 2/16 before being put away for the winter. Five efforts as a 3 year old last year where she had form of 31292. It appeared as if she needed the run on her reappearance at Leicester as she was well beaten despite finishing 3rd, the extra furlong that day and the slightly soft conditions may have also been against her. She then went on to win at Leicester back over 6 furlongs before entering handicap company off a mark of 86 in a hot handicap at Ascot where she was defeated by the narrowest of margins (a nose). She battled on gamely after being headed but just failed to get back up on the line. The third placed in the race was a further 4 and a half lengths behind so the front 2 were clear of the remainder. She was hit with a rise of 6lbs for that effort and was again tried over 7 furlongs at York on her next appearance. Finished 9/13 that day but despite that, was only beaten 5 and a half lengths. It looked clear that she didn't appreciate the extra furlong and was then dropped back down to 6 furlongs once again on her latest appearance which came over today's course and distance where she finished a decent 2nd place. She is raised 4lbs for that effort today but I expect this is a mark she will be winning off before possibly going up to listed level. Another positive note is that the trainer also won with two similar profiled horses on Saturday, one at Goodwood and one at Doncaster, one of which was making their seasonal reappearance.
Win Ladyship @ 6/1 (
willhill
- BOG)

Re: BBOTD Sunday 5th May 3.50 Newmarket - 1pt win What A Name @ 5/1 (VC) Quite a few in with chances here, which is quite a contrast with the 2000 Guineas betting but I'm really keen on the French raider here who looks to hold every chance of taking the price back over the channel - as it has been done a couple of times in recent years. She has done nothing wrong in her five career starts and the fact she's seen the track that amount of times has to be a plus over the inexperienced yet talented Hot Snap. She looks uncomplicated and knows what she's doing and I'd be surprised if she didn't run her race. I'm quietly confident that will be enough to take this race, however, as she has some top form also. She hacked up by seven lengths on the back of her promising debut and then was a nice winner of a Group 3 - taking on the colts - and again traded blows with the boys in a Group 1 event won by leading Irish 2000 Guineas fancy Olympic Glory. That one got first run on the heavy ground that day but the filly kept going well for 2nd and it's possible she'll be better on a sound surface. That piece of form alone gives her a fine chance back amongst her own sex and there was plenty to like about her prep run for the classic tomorrow. They went a farcical gallop and she was caught short of room when they dashed for home yet she still managed to get clear and pick up well to get a neck ahead at the line to win a shade cosily. Is much better than the bare result there and now should be spot on for this. She's 2-2 on ground described as good so I'm not concerned about the quick surface and she holds every chance here.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.