** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis - 23-29 August

Re: Tennis - 23-29 August

Golubev Tb gabashvili @ 1.60 what are you guys thinkin
be carefull with that, maybe andrey ir a better ant ranked higher than his oponent, but boy oh boy how much potencial have russian in his game. Ant for sure 1.6 isn't an odd to bet on game like this. Should be an exciting game, first look an over game!?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about De Bakker? The odd is good and he faces a bit overrated player as f. mayer... what do you think?
De Bakker was really poor yesterday with Kukushkin, didn't deal with conditions (ie wind, rain) at all well, and is still learning on a quicker surface. Looking at his results on hard, he tends to take care of the low hanging fruit but struggles when up against someone ranked higher than him. Mayer was pretty ruthless yesterday against Hajek and is having a relatively good year, but he can go missing in matches too. I wouldn't want to be backing either player at current prices, especially if it's another rain-affected game.

Re: Tennis - 23-29 August Didn't have anything yesterday but fancy a few today, just before I take the weekend off to go to Reading festival. Hantuchova to beat Safina- 4/6 Bet365- 7/10 Hantuchova -1.5 games handicap- 10/11- 6/10 Obvious choice for me really despite the Slovakian's recent form. She beat Kanepi on monday in straight sets without really playing her best tennis. She was only broken once, serving 3 aces in the meantime and breaking serve 3 times which should give her some confidence to hopefully find some form this week. Safina, former number 1 is erratic to say the very least at the minute. One minute she's serving double faults galore, the next she is saving every break point in sight and then breaking herself. Beat Schiavone early tuesday morning in 3 sets, after losing the first 6-1. Looking to the stats, looks like the Italian lost it for herself. No double faults in the first set, but then 4 in the second, strange. Safina was still broken 5 times in the match and if this is the case today, I don't see Hantuchova letting her back in the match. Taking the handicap as it's such a small margin for this match and if the Slovakian wins the match like I think she will, handicap is likely to be met in the meantime. Wozniacki vs Cibulkova Under 20.5 games- 4/5 Bet365- 6/10 Another obvious choice for me. Cibulkova narrowly beat Melanie Oudin a couple of days ago in 3 sets but this is a massive step up for her to play the Dane. If we just look at their each player's last match, Cibulkova threw in 6 double faults and was broken 6 times in the match, allowing her opponent a total of 12 break points. Wozniacki on the other hand hammered Zvonareva in the final in Montreal. If Cibulkova serves anything like how she did a couple of days back, this match will be over very quickly and IMO, I can't see anything other than an easy straight sets win for Wozniacki, perhaps 6-3 6-2. Kirilenko -3.5 games handicap- 4/5 Bet365- 4/10 Favouring the Russian here to make this handicap. She's had a good hard court season this year, making the quarters in the Australian Open, and beating players such as Sharapova, Safina and Peer on hard court this year. Beat her mate Vasnina couple of days ago, comfortably making the handicap. Saved alot of her break points and was only broken twice, which in women's tennis is an achievement in itself. Bacsinszky had a really good result over Wickmayer which in truth she dominated throughout. However Kirilenko will be a much tougher test and look to dominate the rallies and get on top early on. This will put Timea off and she may just crumble and her serve will falter. Kirilenko if she can play like we know she can, should take this handicap and win the match. May be in 3 sets though perhaps. Marchenko to beat Korolev- 4/5 Bet365- 4/10 A little bigger than I thought the odds would be for the Ukranian so happy to take him at 1.80. Korolev has been out of action for a few weeks before this tournament and is his first hard court tournament for a good while. Had some decent results over Gil and Berrer but in truth they aren't the best hard courters around. Marchenko has had alot of practice in the US over the last few weeks, beating a decent array of players in Gulbis, Beck and Schuettler. Only had 3 break points against him in his last match and almost won 60% of the total points which is a good stat to have under your name. Korolev's win against Berrer was a good one but he did have 13 break points against him and his first serve % was down at 58%. The H2H stands at 1-1 and this is the first meeting on hard so should be interesting but down to lack of practice, I feel the Ukranian will take this one. Baghdatis vs Chela over 21.5 games- 10/11 Bet365- 4/10 This should be the game of the day IMO. I know alot of people thought Baghdatis would struggle against Andreev and an upset could occur but no such luck. To be fair, the stats don't look particularly favourable for either player, as both player's first serve percent is below 50% which is pretty poor but guessing Andreev's lack of form and court time influenced that. The Cypriot had a good last week, beating Cilic, Bellucci, Berdych and finally Nadal before Fed was too much for him. He played some good tennis there though so not too sure how much he will want this tournament or what his fitness will be like as he will be looking forward to the US open I'm sure. Chela we all know is an accomplished clay courter but not brilliant on hard, but gave Fed a good game a couple of weeks back and had a good win over Young yesterday. The H2H stands at 2-2, with all matches coming on hard court and 2 matches reaching the overs. Should be a thrilling encounter this one and don't see Chela just rolling over so think it might be a long one.

Re: Tennis - 23-29 August Good write-ups fishy. Marchenko was the only one that I was interested in after doing all the pre-odds work - he's probably in a slightly better place than Korolev right now. However, can either man be trusted? Marchenko's prone to the odd choppy patch and is relatively inexperienced. Beating Bester yesterday was a doddle for him but he still made life tough for himself in the second. In saying that, Korolev did the same against Berrer, although the German is a better player than the Canadian. You've put the seed back in my mind again - may well follow now :lol

Re: Tennis - 23-29 August Okay, gone for two. Handicaps appealing on one and fishy has reinforced my feelings on Marchenko. New Haven: Illya Marchenko vs Evgeny Korolev - Illya Marchenko @ 1.96 with Betdaq (4/10) I can't really add much more to what fishy has said above. Bookies are right to price this one up with caution but I do feel Marchenko is in a better place right now than Korolev. The Ukrainian has put in some decent shifts on hard on the main Tour while Korolev has flitted in and out and hasn't really found any consistency. He's beaten Frederico Gil (a clay courter) and Michael Berrer (a very one-dimensional player) so far but that form is nothing to write home about, and in each match he gave the opponent plenty of opportunities. Marchenko has a bit more scope and is playing at a higher level - happy to side along with this. New Haven: Denis Istomin vs Lukas Lacko - Lukas Lacko +2.5AH games @ 1.926 with Pinnacle (3/10) I hadn't realised that the odds were quite as generous on Lacko as they are. Slovak had a tough match yesterday against Thomaz Bellucci but I was very impressed he came through it. Losing the second-set breaker could've killed him but he went on to bagel the Brazilian. Istomin was also pretty impressive in his win over Benjamin Becker but Lacko's gutsier and has more in his locker than the German. They met earlier in the year on hard and Istomin retired a set down so we can't glean anything from that - the time before that was in the Oz Open where Istomin won in four but there were two breakers. Both men have improved since then but Lacko more so IMO. His serve is now pretty solid - he wasn't broken once by Bellucci and came through clutch moments - and has a beast of a forehand to win him points. Istomin's had a good year but I'm always concerned about his fitness and his desire if things don't go his way. Lacko's a scrapper and will stick with Istomin throughout. Reckon the handicap is slightly generous and worth a small play. :hope

Okay, gone for two. Handicaps appealing on one and fishy has reinforced my feelings on Marchenko. New Haven: Illya Marchenko vs Evgeny Korolev - Illya Marchenko @ 1.96 with Betdaq (4/10) I can't really add much more to what fishy has said above. Bookies are right to price this one up with caution but I do feel Marchenko is in a better place right now than Korolev. The Ukrainian has put in some decent shifts on hard on the main Tour while Korolev has flitted in and out and hasn't really found any consistency. He's beaten Frederico Gil (a clay courter) and Michael Berrer (a very one-dimensional player) so far but that form is nothing to write home about, and in each match he gave the opponent plenty of opportunities. Marchenko has a bit more scope and is playing at a higher level - happy to side along with this. New Haven: Denis Istomin vs Lukas Lacko - Lukas Lacko +2.5AH games @ 1.926 with Pinnacle (3/10) I hadn't realised that the odds were quite as generous on Lacko as they are. Slovak had a tough match yesterday against Thomaz Bellucci but I was very impressed he came through it. Losing the second-set breaker could've killed him but he went on to bagel the Brazilian. Istomin was also pretty impressive in his win over Benjamin Becker but Lacko's gutsier and has more in his locker than the German. They met earlier in the year on hard and Istomin retired a set down so we can't glean anything from that - the time before that was in the Oz Open where Istomin won in four but there were two breakers. Both men have improved since then but Lacko more so IMO. His serve is now pretty solid - he wasn't broken once by Bellucci and came through clutch moments - and has a beast of a forehand to win him points. Istomin's had a good year but I'm always concerned about his fitness and his desire if things don't go his way. Lacko's a scrapper and will stick with Istomin throughout. Reckon the handicap is slightly generous and worth a small play. :hope
Haha so much for taking the day off ;). Yeah like the look of Marchenko providing his head is in the game and can play at a decent level it should be too much for Korolev.

Haha so much for taking the day off ;). Yeah like the look of Marchenko providing his head is in the game and can play at a decent level it should be too much for Korolev.
Lol yeah it's always the way, isn't it? To be fair, the Lacko handicap wasn't out when I looked - expected it to be closer to +1.5 games. Anyway, fingers crossed for a good day.

Marchenko's odds are on the drift on BF - 1.90 to 2.10 - not huge' date=' but anything in it?[/quote'] They've been flip-flopping around all morning to be honest. I'm not one for following movements unless it's monumental stuff but it's perhaps worth considering this time, on the basis of where these guys come from - Ukraine and Kazakhstan. Probably two countries where match-rigging does exist. That's the cynic speaking in me. The pragmatist in me says the odds are drifting because this match will divide opinions as it's a close one. I'll let you decide which one to believe... ;)

Okay, gone for two. Handicaps appealing on one and fishy has reinforced my feelings on Marchenko. New Haven: Denis Istomin vs Lukas Lacko - Lukas Lacko +2.5AH games @ 1.926 with Pinnacle (3/10)
Lacko +3 @ 1.926 pinnacle mate

Goodness knows what happened at the end of the set. At 5-5 there was like a break in play for about 5 mins' date=' then Marchenko lost the set. An injury perhaps, but don't like his chances of coming back from a set down.[/quote'] Certainly was a strange one. 5-5 was an inopportune moment for a break in play. No need to give up hope yet, he can still come back. This is Korolev he's playing, not Federer.

Certainly was a strange one. 5-5 was an inopportune moment for a break in play. No need to give up hope yet' date=' he can still come back. This is Korolev he's playing, not Federer.[/quote'] Early impressions were after that brief pause was that he picked up a niggle as he lost the next 2 points but a break up so really not sure what happened.

Early impressions were after that brief pause was that he picked up a niggle as he lost the next 2 points but a break up so really not sure what happened.
Could have been a scoreboard problem, couldnt it? I mean, they have had quite a lot of them in Montreal and the video did not function properly in New Haven yesterday, so who knows.

Early impressions were after that brief pause was that he picked up a niggle as he lost the next 2 points but a break up so really not sure what happened.
odds did change in korolev's favor before the beginning of the match, and as someone said well the countries where they come from... so i regret betting on marachenko:cry

still cant believe rodionova' date=' 1 out of 12 break points in a set, how the hell[/quote'] That's Rodionova lol, just don't know what you will get as I learnt the hard way a while back. 1 set all, 4-0 40-0 up, lost the match, stayed away ever since lol.

Could have been a scoreboard problem' date=' couldnt it? I mean, they have had quite a lot of them in Montreal and the video did not function properly in New Haven yesterday, so who knows.[/quote'] Yep very true, it just seemed very very strange and unexpected when it happened. That's the problem with just scoreboard watching I suppose, its hard to comment.

Could have been a scoreboard problem' date=' couldnt it? I mean, they have had quite a lot of them in Montreal and the video did not function properly in New Haven yesterday, so who knows.[/quote'] bet365 had the same problem too. Who knows? It could've been an alien interfering with the umpire's imputting. Something we'll probably never know. Korolev's broken back now.