** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis - 23-29 August

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - 23-29 August

Taking 3 today, not sure if the handicaps will be up on bet365, may just be Pinnacle which I don't use. Andreev X Lacko double @ 2.4- Bet365 4/10 Not massive stakes here but both have a good chance of winning IMO. Although Andreev has had ongoing injury problems this year and missed alot of tennis, his quality of tennis should still be higher then Clements. Already beaten Malisse on hard this year whilst giving Fedex, Russell and Roddick decent matches. Clement has had more practice on the surface, however he has lost 4 of his last 5 against opponents of a less quality to even a half fit Andreev. He had a great start to the year but has tailed off since then and his best tennis is certainly behind him. Lacko is an obvious choice due to his good form on hard court this year. Beaten the likes of Ljubicic, Mayer and Hewitt more recently. Serra out of form, out of practice, losing to a guy ranked 428 a few weeks back and narrowly coming through against a guy outside the top 1000. Points to a Lacko win and hopefully Andreev can do the business as well. Hantuchova to beat Kanepi- 8/11 Bet365- 7/10 This around the odds I was expecting for Slovakian. Had quite a tidy season, beating good players on clay and hard, not so good on grass but luckily this is hard which she has performed well on. Made the semis in San Diego a few weeks back before losing to Radwanska but shows the form she has been in. Only thing I'm not keen on is that most of her wins are tight and stressful which makes you sweat buckets over her but hoping she can get the job done here. She leads the H2h 2-0 over the Estonian, both wins coming on hard, one earlier this year in an easy straight sets. As long as she's focussed, should win this one. Schiavone to beat Safina- 4/5 Bet365- 5/10 Where do I start with this one seriously. I'm at that stage with Safina where I was with Ivanovic, which is bet against her at decent odds. Did so last week but somehow she came through it with an unbelievable match where her opponent could not take a break point to save her life. Safina was 4-1 down in the third and somehow won it. Know that a few of us were just puzzled and a little suspicious to say the least over that one. Fact is that she was playing poor tennis, throwing in a double fault in most of her service games. Schiavone beat her 2-0 last week and hard to see Safina getting a result here if she plays like she did. At this price, feel you have to take the Italian.
WIN WIN LOSS Shame Schiavone couldn't make it a full house. Not sure what happened after she took the first so easily. 3/4 for the day though with the Wozniacki handicap so quite happy. :cheers

Re: Tennis - 23-29 August Four for me today, would love to back Istomin, but I do not know anything about his injury. Victor Hanescu to bt. Daniel Brands (1.71 at Pinnacle) 7/10 Quite an interesting match. Hanescu definitely wants revenge for Wimbledon, where he though that the referee was against him - he was dominant in that match until the incident occured. Furthermore, it seems that Brands is not as strong when serving - Kubot had plenty of chances yesterday. Hanescu should win this one, he has the better game on return and his serve will trouble Brands. Viktor Troicki to bt. Jarko Nieminen (1.70 at Pinnacle) 6/10 Troicki a big step in class for Nieminen, who defeated Seppi yesterday. Troicki is a better player in all respects and should win this one, expected 1.6 so taking this. His serve seems to be good enough and after I saw what Nieminen can do against Robredo, I am convinced that this match should go to Troicki in two sets. Aleksandr Dolgopolov to bt. James Blake (1.90 at Pinnacle) 6/10 The only thing that worries me here is motivation, otherwise Dolgopolov would be a huge favourite for me. He is in form and causes problems to players like Berdych, Ferrer, or Youzhny. Yes, James Blake won convincingly yesterday against a pure clay-courter, but the way he played against Istomin was just crazy. Dolgopolov should be around 1.7 at most. Radek Stepanek to bt. Fernando Gonzalez (1.71 at Pinnacle) 6/10 Two players returning to the circuit, but Stepanek has already returned and had some results. Gonzalez has not played since the French Open and that should limit him here. Also, the H2H record is 4-1 and Stepanek has won all the meetings on hard courts. Solid favourite here for solid price.

Re: Tennis - 23-29 August Will do a few dogs today with small stakes, not a week to be throwing money around. Young to beat Chela @ 2.290 (Pinnacle:2/10) Watched Young yesterday against Robert and he played well, granted Robert is pretty average...Young still served well and was hitting some nice forehands. He's motivated for this week so I have no problem backing him here....Chela last played vs Fed in Toronto so probably looking to get some matches on hard before the US Open. I expect Young to be competitive here however, see how he does. Andreev to beat Baghdatis @ 3.280 (Pinnacle:2/10) Andreev is a headcase to be fair but he's got a big game and I think he needs this win more than Baghy here. Actually not sure what Baghy is doing here considering he lost in the 1st round to Gil last year and has had a great hard court season in prep for the US.Looks like a chance to fade him here. Andreev has an 11-4 record at New Haven including a semi last year, beat Clement in round one yesterday.......I don't back this guy much but today seems like a good chance to do it. Of course Baghy is a level ahead if he brings his top game but after such a hard week last week, it's questionable whether he will. GL!

Re: Tennis - 23-29 August Not a great day yesterday. Gone for seven bets today - plenty stood out for me today. We'll see what happens. Small stakes again. New Haven: Lukas Lacko vs Thomaz Bellucci - Thomaz Bellucci -2.5 games @ 1.862 with Pinnacle (4/10) Think this is too generous on Bellucci. He's coming into a game on the hard courts and is a notch above Lacko in terms of class. He did quite well in Cincy, taking out Becker and forcing a final set breaker against Baghdatis, and has the serve and the forehand to do damage on this surface. Lacko won yesterday over an out-of-sorts Serra but he'll need to improve to beat the Brazilian. Lacko's got a horrendous record against lefties so this'll be tough for him. Bellucci should have enough to get by in this one. New Haven: Taylor Dent vs Tommy Robredo - Taylor Dent @ 1.909 with Pinnacle (3/10) This bet is more against Robredo than anything else. The Spaniard lost to a similar sort of player in Berrer last week and has really struggled for wins and confidence. He lost to Dent last year in Miami and if the American can serve well, he should be able to pick off Robredo when the chances inevitably arise. Dent will be backed by the home crowd and I can see him wanting this more than Robredo, who probably just wants this year to end. New Haven: Thiemo de Bakker vs Mikhail Kukushkin - Thiemo de Bakker -2.5 games @ 1.917 with Pinnacle (3/10) Kukushkin beat Greul yesterday but was far from convincing, especially on serve, where he dished up too many errors. De Bakker is turning into a very decent, solid player on this surface, particularly on serve, and I reckon the Kazakh will find it pretty hard to break the Dutchman. De Bakker's been playing in the last two Masters so this is going to be a drop in quality for him. Kukushkin is no Roddick, Lopez or Monfils. Handicap seems generous on a superior player, more than happy to play it. New Haven: Alexandr Dolgopolov vs James Blake - Alexandr Dolgopolov @ 1.943 with Pinnacle (3/10) Forget Blake's result yesterday, it was a freak. Riba's first match on a hard court in main ATP event, it's not too much of a surprise that he was skittled. Much tougher match for Blake here against one of the game's rising stars. This event, let alone the match, is winnable for the Ukrainian. Can see his spin and slice causing the American a number of problems here, who is out of form big time despite beating Riba. This is a case of a man on the upswing facing a man on the downswing. Happy to back Dolgopolov here. New Haven: Radek Stepanek vs Fernando Gonzalez - Radek Stepanek -2 games AH @ 1.909 with Pinnacle (3/10) I expect Stepanek to get a bit of confidence after seeing off Cuevas yesterday. This is Gonzalez's first match since the French and I expect he's here to try and get a match under his belt ahead of the US. Very hard for anyone to come back after such a long lay off and beat a decent player. I'd imagine Stepanek to be very aggressive and look to go deep here as he's not had a great number of wins - injuries have curtailed him somewhat. The Czech leads the H2H 3-1 and has never lost to the Chilean on hard - good enough for me. New Haven: Donald Young vs Juan Ignacio Chela - Donald Young +2 games AH @ 2.02 with Pinnacle (2/10) This is worth a shot for me. Young's coming into a bit of form and has the talent unquestionably - has won junior Slams and has perhaps just been looking for a break. Chela's a bigger test than Robert yesterday but the young American acquitted himself well against Gulbis in Cincy and has the weapons and the lefty serve to hurt Chela. Argentine is more comfortable on clay but has done okay on hard recently. However, Young's motivated to do well this week and can easily take a set, if not win, here. New Haven: Teymuraz Gabashvili vs Xavier Malisse - Teymuraz Gabashvili +3.5 games AH @ 1.926 with Pinnacle (2/10) Got my heart monitor fitted for this :lol Handicap is too big here. Gabashvili's having a decent year and is more than capable of running Malisse fairly close. Big-serving Belgian has been playing well enough but I expect a dip from him at some point and is more than capable of going missing on serve. Gabashvili's very well-acquitted off ground and likes playing on this sort of surface. Small stakes considering who it is but quite fancy him to do okay here. :hope

Re: Tennis - 23-29 August Early choices in New Haven. Both ATP and WTA... 1) Victor Hanescu vs Daniel Brands. Over 23 games. 1.85 @ Gamebookers. (6/10) This has to be over 23 games. Really can't see any other outcome than that. Both guys strong on serve and not so strong on return. Perhaps Hanescu with more options and skills but it will be hard for him to get much of a play on Brand's serve. They had a controversial match @ Wimbledon this year. It went to 5 sets with first 3 being decided in tie-breaks. If I'm not mistaken Hanescu was serving for the match in the 4th set. Correct me if I'm wrong. He failed and then having being broken at the start of the 5th set faked an injury and retired. He had a spat with Brand's supporters. Don't think what to make of both players' chances today but expect dominant performances on serve and tie-break or two. Over 23 games here without any 2nd thoughts. 2) Denis Istomin > Benjamin Becker. 2.12 @ 188bet (5/10) Becker in rubbish form lately and if Istomin is ok with the injury he picked up in Cincy last week he should be ok to advance here without any doubts. Beckers poor form is main reason why I'm going against him. Like I said if Istomin will be fine, he'll take care of Becker. Odds so high only because of that match against Federer in which Denis was forced to pull out with an injury. 3) Jan Hajek > Florian Mayer. 3.74 @ Pinnacle (3/10) Potential banana skin here. Not a fan of either player and with this tournament being a week before US Open have to go for underdog obviously. Hajek knocked out big serving Dustin Brown in the first round and should have tons of confidence after that win. He's beaten Mayer both times they've played all be it on clay. The German without much of a form since his great run in home tournament in Hamburg. Beating Beck and Russell no big deal really and today he might be upset by Hajek. Worth a shot for sure. 4) Maria Kirilenko > Elena Vesnina. 1.80 @ Pinnacle (6/10) Ithink Vesnina has played too much tennis lately. She played both singles and doubles last week in Toronto. Went straight from doubles match to New Haven and played qualies here as well. Too much tennis. I don't think she will feel right about it. Kirilenko not the world beater but in current conditions I see value in 1.80 odds. She has beaten Vesnina in their only meeting, that will give her confidence. Besides Andreev is playing here as well (will have his match later in the day), so she won't be rushed anywhere and can play some tennis this week. Fatigue main factor here for backing Kirilenko. 5) Alona Bondarenko vs Marion Bartoli. Under 20 games. 1.86 @ 188bet (7/10) Bartoli should destroy Bondarenko. Again... He demolished her last time they played and that was in Montreal last week. Unless Bartoli is forced to play a tie-break in one of two sets she will do this in under 20 games. I think she's well capable of that and has been in very good form lately losing only to players whom she can't beat at any time. Bondarenko is not one of them. So expecting straight forward win for the French woman here. Or Bondarenko, this bet allows a shock scenario to go thru as well.

Re: Tennis - 23-29 August Bellucci tb. Lacko @1,62 pinnacle I will take only this for some mid stake... it's week before GrandSlam and I don't want to put much monney because probably some of this players will choke.. and I will take Psciho's and Atko's picks on some combos for miiini stakes... gl :hope

Will do a few dogs today with small stakes, not a week to be throwing money around. Young to beat Chela @ 2.290 (Pinnacle:2/10) Watched Young yesterday against Robert and he played well, granted Robert is pretty average...Young still served well and was hitting some nice forehands. He's motivated for this week so I have no problem backing him here....Chela last played vs Fed in Toronto so probably looking to get some matches on hard before the US Open. I expect Young to be competitive here however, see how he does. Andreev to beat Baghdatis @ 3.280 (Pinnacle:2/10) Andreev is a headcase to be fair but he's got a big game and I think he needs this win more than Baghy here. Actually not sure what Baghy is doing here considering he lost in the 1st round to Gil last year and has had a great hard court season in prep for the US.Looks like a chance to fade him here. Andreev has an 11-4 record at New Haven including a semi last year, beat Clement in round one yesterday.......I don't back this guy much but today seems like a good chance to do it. Of course Baghy is a level ahead if he brings his top game but after such a hard week last week, it's questionable whether he will. GL!
Think I'm going to follow you IAG with a wee stake on Andreev. Got all the hallmarks of a shock.

Re: Tennis - 23-29 August Lost the connection and failed to post some more tips over here. Hope some of you got them on the main website. Some better things happening comparing to the early matches. Having couple more selections in mens' matches. Igor Andreev +1.5 sets vs Marcos Baghdatis. 1.83 @ 10bet (5/10) Not sure Baghdatis will be 100% for this one. He has played a lot of tennis lately and might me tired mentally as much as physically. Andreev in terrible form but has got one win under his belt beating Clement yesterday. It was far from convincing but the main thing was the win. I reckon he should be good for at least one set today. Baghdatis in current conditions probably will lack motivation and might not be focused during whole match. Andreev is well capable of taking a set of him. Taylor Dent > Tommy Robredo. 1.99 @ Pinnacle (6/10) Both players in poor form with Robredo being in the worst situation. Dent has played some decent matches lately but still can not serve consistently enough to get the job done in convincing fashion. Having said that he might have a better shot today than Robredo. Really not sure Tommy is in the right mood at the moment. Dent surely more motivated, playing at home and should see this one out.

Re: Tennis - 23-29 August Good thing Chela woke up. Made up for Pennetta's mess. Double break up in the first set, won by just couple games and then had over 10 break point chances in the 2nd set, took just one and won the match 6-4, 6-4 and ruined my -4 games handicap. Poor Flavia.

Re: Tennis - 23-29 August Two more from me today. Going with Stosur's handicap and James Blake of all people :lol Samantha Stosur -4.5 AH vs Sara Errani. 1.89 @ 188bet. (6/10) Stosur has been out for awhile with an arm injury and badly needs this tournament otherwise she would be without match practice before US Open. No idea what sort of form she's in but even being not 100% she should be too strong for Errani. Stosur has got huge serve and forehand and that will hurt Errani big time. Stosur should have no problems to win by 5 games here. They have played once before and that was won pretty easily by Sam 6-3, 6-2 in Beijing couple years ago. James Blake > Oleksandr Dolgopolov. 1.91 @ Pinnacle (5/10) I know lot of people might think that I must be crazy to back total loser like Blake but I just have a feeling that this might just be a turning point in his season. His a local here in Newport, has won this tournament before and got off to a flying start dropping just 1 game against Pere Riba. Ok, the Spaniard is no force on hard courts, but he's Top 100 player anyway. Dolgopolov is well capable of beating Blake, but not sure he will. His form has dropped. It's not a secret that he loves clay more than anything and with Blake having proper motivation and attitude there's no reason for him not to get a real go at this one.

Re: Tennis - 23-29 August Two bets for me. Singlebet Blake 2-1 4.40 @ centrebet Double 18.20 @ sportingbet Troicki 2-1 @ 4.33 Blake 2-1 @ 4.20 Stake 10/10 Troicki faces Nieminen and he can take a set no doubt while Blake can drop a set along the way. No bets are safe and I think Blake can be up for a good game and that makes me think of 2-0 Blake so I am a bit worried. Psycho says Dolgo has droped in form and if Blake has a turning point he can play very well which means one set can be tight but Blake wins in straight sets. I lose both bets if Blake wins in straights so I feel quite worried about that.

Re: Tennis - 23-29 August what do you think about petrova - mattek? petrova @2, i mean she obviously is the best player of the 2, she leads the H2H 2-0, lately mattek is the one which has had the best result but still, anyone saw those players play lately ?

Re: Tennis - 23-29 August Nightmare card in New Haven today, so many unpredictable players up against each other. The weather is supposed to be brutal too - although it will clear up tomorrow - so I'm taking a well-earned break and will hopefully return tomorrow. Good luck to all who get involved :ok

Golubev Tb gabashvili @ 1.60 what are you guys thinkin
Crazy odds on Golubev - 1.60 holds no value whatsoever. Didn't even qualify for the Masters events in Cincy and pulled out injured against Fognini - not sure how fit he is. Gabashvili's having a decent year although generally playing at a lower level than Golubev and can be dangerous from the ground; however, he's extremely erratic. Not a match I'd want to get involved in at all.