** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

UEFA > Champions League > 24th - 25th August

Re: UEFA > Champions League > 24th - 25th August

I still remember that when Everton was 4th in Premier League they also failed to qualified to CL group stage...
Yeah, but Everton faced Villarreal, when they were breaking through in Spain. Totally different imo. Everton getting knocked out doesn't have any baring on this game.... And I thought Spurs have started the season exceptionally well. They were dreadfully unfortunate not to beat Man City. Despite all the injuries to key players and having one fit forward, they went away to Stoke and won. Stoke is as tough a place as any in the EPL to get a result. Spurs were naive away to Young Boys. They set themselves up poorly tactically for an away CL fixture. Something Harry Redknapp will have to adjust to if they are to compete in the CL. At home they will be allowed to play their own game, and it won't matter too much which formation they go with as Spurs will create a lot of chances at home. Also I tend to think short term form can be irrelevant in these sort of cup competitons.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hapoel vs Salzburg uefa.com: Hapoel Tel-Aviv FC hold a 3-2 lead against FC Salzburg after the away leg of their UEFA Champions League play-off, yet the Israeli side's preparations have been dominated by the state of Etay Shechter's hamstring. The 23-year-old scored 22 league goals last season and was on target again in last week's opener in Austria, but an injury in Saturday's 1-0 defeat by Hapoel Haifa FC leaves Eli Gutman sweating on the striker's fitness. "We are praying Etay recovers and have every faith in our medical staff," said the Tel-Aviv coach. "He has a 50-50 chance of making it and he has assured me he will do everything he can to be fit. He is a major asset to our team, but we will have to be able to adjust should he fail to recover in time." Midfielder Yossi Shivhon definitely misses out after his booking last week, although Gal Shish is available again after his own one-match ban and Gutman is confident his team will still have enough to reach the group stage for the first time. "We are proud to be playing in these play-offs, as I said before the first leg, but we're far from settling with this," he said. "Our approach is to start this game as a completely new match regardless of the result in the first leg. We will require 100% discipline and concentration, as well as all our players' personal ability, to be able to succeed." Salzburg also have selection problems, with defender Franz Schiemer and winger Jakob Jantscher both banned after the first leg, yet the latter is still optimistic his team-mates can turn round the tie in his absence. "None of us are thinking about the Europa League yet," he said. "We will try everything to capitalise on this chance and to achieve something great. I am sure that we still have that chance." Striker Roman Wallner, whose second-half penalty last week gave Salzburg hope, was more bullish, saying: "We believe in ourselves and the possibility for a sensation. We have to stay calm, wait for our chance and seize it." A year ago, Salzburg went down 3-0 to another Israeli side, Maccabi Haifa FC, having lost the first leg of their play-off tie 2-1 at home, although Huub Stevens does not expect a repeat performance. "If we had no belief in our chances, we would not have flown to Tel Aviv," said the Dutch coach, who welcomes back summer signing David Mendes da Silva and whose team's scheduled weekend fixture against SK Sturm Graz was postponed. "The task is of course very difficult, but it is still very possible. We have a 30% chance and we want to use it." Any evaluation of the absences of both teams?

Itai Shekhter'll have a fitness test before the game. Chances are 50/50 (less optimistic than yesterday) But his injury has thrown a spanner in Hapoel's works already.

Eli Gutman, Hapoel's manager was at the centre of an ugly incident after the 0-1 defeat to Hapoel Haifa, and has yet to regain his confidence. Hapoel will play 4-4-2 anyway, but Viktor Meri (Shekhter's sub) is a non-entity. Shivhon's suspension will force holding midfielder Romain Rocchi (Metz) to the starting XI. A similar line-up has faltered at Aktobe, but with their shaky defense exposed again on Saturday, Hapoel might like to put more man behind the ball and just get this game over with.

I am leaning towards Hapoel because Salzburg needs to attack and it's suitable for Hapoel who is great on counter attacking and they will go into this game with full optimism while Salzburg feels like the bad to worse team. Hapoel did beat Rapid Vienna last year 5-1 at home and this should not be so different so I think Hapoel will take this 3-1. They where better then Vienna and Salzburg is not so mutch better. I think Hapoel is the better team and have a lot more desire to get to CL. Macabi Haifa was the other israeli team in CL last year and they came second in their league after Hapoel only on goaldifference. Hapoel don't need to win this game but this is still leaning towards a convincing win for them. -1.0 Hapoel Tel Aviv 2.675 bet365 for me..
Indeed the game can go that way, with two caveats. Hapoel got everything to lose in a momentous game for them. (A loss, and their most influential players will have been cherry-picked by January. A win'll have the opposite effect) The pressure was already evident in Saturday. The other concerns Hapoel's shaky back and the tendency to protect it, especially if hapoel score first. But as you say the opening half-hour will be decisive.

Re: UEFA > Champions League > 24th - 25th August I cant help myself, but I really like the Bremen lay / back the over. The first match indicated that Bremen has huge problems in defense still with Pasanen on left and Prödl instead the long-time injured Naldo. They were leading 1:0 with a great long shot by Fritz with his weaker left feet from like 20 meters. Further, Sampdoria had the chance to get the equalizer but hit the post. Second goal was a result of a stupid push during a corner kick which ended in a penalty for Bremen. Sampdoria also lost a player here, but still they occasionally tried to get a goal. After 3:0 of Pizarro which was played out nice, but had some luck involved in finish, Samporia managed to get the 3:1 with 10 man in 90+ minute. This weekend, they faced Hoffenheim. Again they did lead by luck - a penalty early in the match. Hence, Hoffenheim knew how to exploit this Bremen team and they outplayed them 4:1 in first half, sitting on the result in the next halftime. If Bremen is already talking about "that we can score an away goal too", they are somewhat also expect to concede a goal. I definitely like the lay Bremen, and back over 2.5 here but willing to do those bets in game after a first impression of what Sampdoria is willing to offer. :ok

Re: UEFA > Champions League > 24th - 25th August SHERIFF TIRASPOL V.S. FC BASEL - FC BASEL -0.25 @ 2.075 LADBROKES Basel is currently on a 1 goal lead against Sheriff.They could have had a 2 goal cushion if not for the penalty kick saved. I will expect them to score 1 more tonight to seal the game. FC Basel to win by 1 goal for me.

Anderlecht versus Partizan Partizan sold some important players in this transfer window: -> regular centre back Kneżevic -> extremely important left fullback Lomic who was useful in attack (3 goals & 12 assists in 25 games!!) -> first goalkeeper Bozovic -> one of two best strikers Lamine Diarra (14 goals & 8 assists) -> forward who was used in rotation system - Brana Ilic (not so important, but when Diarra left the team Ilic would be very useful) They did not buy any special player. They have money from players who were sold (over 4 millions euro), but did not spend that money at all. On the other hand Anderlecht bought only 22 years old forward centre Chavarria, but almost all important players stay at the club. The only important player who left team is left fullback Jelle van Damme.
I think you didn't do your research as good as you should've done.. Anderlecht bought more players then only Chavarria... Lecjaks is a new defender Anderlecht bought to play on the leftback if needed. He scored the anderlecht own-goal in Partizan Kljestan is an american midfielder who played a couple of matches for Anderlecht this season and scored a few goals aswell.. last new name at anderlecht is Barrios, but I don't think he played games for Anderlecht yet... so there is more then 1 new name! Anderlecht is playing defensive football in european away games, but at home they'll play a 4-3-3 system. They'll probably still miss Biglia who's a very important player for Anderlecht, but Polak is back and he has to lead the midfield now. Anderlecht will be strong at home, I can assure you that! Losing and missing the champions League would be a disaster for anderlecht! They really MUST qualify for the group stage of champions league football, and I believe they will. I don't see partizan making any chance of winning in Anderlecht actually... I would even consider taking anderlecht -1 AH this game, but the only question is will Lukaku play? He's a very important player to anderlecht surely now other striker De Sutter is injured. Nevertheless a lot of the midfielders can score goals for anderlecht aswell + defense is very strong in the air what could be dangerous on free kicks or corner kicks. Juhasz to score (with an header) is also a possible bet perhaps....

Yeah, but Everton faced Villarreal, when they were breaking through in Spain. Totally different imo. Everton getting knocked out doesn't have any baring on this game.... And I thought Spurs have started the season exceptionally well. They were dreadfully unfortunate not to beat Man City. Despite all the injuries to key players and having one fit forward, they went away to Stoke and won. Stoke is as tough a place as any in the EPL to get a result. Spurs were naive away to Young Boys. They set themselves up poorly tactically for an away CL fixture. Something Harry Redknapp will have to adjust to if they are to compete in the CL. At home they will be allowed to play their own game, and it won't matter too much which formation they go with as Spurs will create a lot of chances at home. Also I tend to think short term form can be irrelevant in these sort of cup competitons.
Spurs in CL groups will be best news to me, yet it doesn't change the fact that YBB are massive @ 11,00 - a very sharp team, with enough experience in Europe, with the scalp of Fenerbahce on their belt, and a tiny advantage from Game 1 - not much, yet and advantage. One mistake and Young Boys scoring first on the break could be a disaster... I would not compare this tie to the Everton experience with Villareal, rather to Manchester City struggling in both games vs Midtylland in UEFA recently. One goal is enough to Spurs, but if they settle with this, could be disaster as well. I also think that physically YBB are no worse than Spurs. Will not rush with this one for now, but I see it as one of the highest-scoring games in this early round -that with no serious attention to this game at all. UNTIL TOMORROW THOUGH...

Re: UEFA > Champions League > 24th - 25th August I think Tottenham are being overrated due to the home advantage they have. From the first leg it was clear that the gulf in class between the two sides is not as large as many thought. I'm not ruling out a home win but I think the odds on Young Boys are very generous considering their performance and the fact that in the previous round they went out to Turkey and managed a 1-0 win against Fenerbahce which is no easy task!

:beer Agree with that. And I do not understand why Partizen is priced @ 6.00, it's not like they are playing agains English, German or Italian team. Partizan @ 6.00 William Hill
In first game in Belgrade away team show notihng. All stars from Anderlecht is get darked and that two goals... hmm... first was after obviously atack faul and second after big mistake of Partizan's goalkeeper... and nothing else from Anderlecht. Partizan been better team, misses two great chances, and we expect that game could be played again. Totally agree with You. Partizan win.

I cant help myself, but I really like the Bremen lay / back the over.
I personally think that backing over 2.5 is a must here. First of all I just don't see Sampdoria not starting the game full speed ahead. They know they have to win at least by 2 goal difference, and I'm pretty sure they also know that Werder Bremen defense is not rock solid. Bremen on the other hand knows that scoring a goal will almost secure CL so I think over 2.5 is the way to go. Good luck to u all

Re: UEFA > Champions League > 24th - 25th August I made some picks which were posted in Midweek bets last night. Looking at the games again today, I almost changed my mind on some of my choices. No more bets for me until HT on the in-pllay - the 1X2 odds and the AH lines are well-set in view of the first games, etc. The Over 2,5 Goals lines are under-priced as well, I guess based on the simple logic that some team have to go forward big time - not enough to me in most games tonight. Unless people here expect surprises... For the record the Partizan game opened last week ( on in-play ) at 2,25 for Over 2,5 Goals, in Bremen - at 1,83, in Salzburg - at 2,00... IN-PLAY all night and GL all

In first game in Belgrade away team show notihng. All stars from Anderlecht is get darked and that two goals... hmm... first was after obviously atack faul and second after big mistake of Partizan's goalkeeper... and nothing else from Anderlecht. Partizan been better team, misses two great chances, and we expect that game could be played again. Totally agree with You. Partizan win.
And what did Belgrade show? Anderlecht played defensive away from home as they often do, but still they managed more attempts on goal then Partizan. They controlled the game and got deservedly 0-1 up. 5 minutes later Partizan created their fist (and only real) chance and levelled the game, before Lecjaks decided to help Partizan a little by making one of the most beautiful own goals ever seen. I always had a feeling that if Anderlecht really pushed they would score. They did and 2-2 is a very good result away from home. Anderlecht's team performance was far from great and they got some key players out of form or injured, but Partizan is so poor that I can't see anything but an Anderlecht home win. I'd go for Anderlecht -1.5, but I have already to much money on Anderlecht qualifying so I'll just let it ride.

Re: UEFA > Champions League > 24th - 25th August my bet of this evening in CL play offs is Basel to win against Sheriff.Vladimir Branković and Miral Samardžić plus Erokin are missing for Tiraspol which,imo,is too much for a team forced to attack and opened itself in order to cover the handicap from the first leg swiss team is pro enough to take advantage of this fact

Re: UEFA > Champions League > 24th - 25th August Hapoel Tel Aviv-FC Salzburg: I watched the game last week in the Red Bull Arena and i was shocked. Both teams made such big mistakes in their defence it was horrible.They did not have the niveau for the champions league group stage anyway.There could have been 6 or 7 goals.But if we look at the game closely last week there had been a few key situations.An early penalty 4 minutes after the beginning for Hapoel and the goal in the 44th minute.hapoel did always score with very fast counter attacks when salzburg began to play good football.Also the 3:1 goal 10 min after the halftime break. 3:2 at the end because of the Wallner pealty goal. After the 3:2 Hapoel could have scored two goals more because of their fast attacking football. What i want to say is that salzburg has to play offensive today, they have nothing to loose. So coach stevens will play with Wallner(or boghossian) and Alan (2 strikers).That is a very important fact because Stevens never does that. Even against poor teams like kapfenberg. So he will risk a lot today. Like i mentioned before Hapoel did very well with playing fast counter attacks.So i believe there will be many goals tonight. So because of the reasons that i mentioned above my main bet for todays match over 2,5 goals(tipico1,75) .Another bet i looked at: both teams to score@1,65 tipico So good luck to all of you

whats the story with the tottenham team news and probable line up people? You'd have to think if at least some of the 75 injured players have recovered they'd be morals to take care of a swiss team at the lane with 2 away goals in the pocket... :dude
Modric Bentley are out so I would expect a team from this squad on grass to progress. Tottenham (from): Gomes, Cudicini, King, Hutton, Bale, Kaboul, Naughton, Bassong, Dawson, Corluka, Jenas, Assou-Ekotto, Walker, Huddlestone, Rose, Lennon, Palacios, Kranjcar, Dos Santos, Crouch, Defoe, Keane, Pavyluchenko. No value though at 2/9 PPower so avoiding.

Hapoel vs Salzburg uefa.com: Hapoel Tel-Aviv FC hold a 3-2 lead against FC Salzburg after the away leg of their UEFA Champions League play-off, yet the Israeli side's preparations have been dominated by the state of Etay Shechter's hamstring." Any evaluation of the absences of both teams?
Hapoel'll probably won't risk Shekhter. chances are he starts on the bench.

And what did Belgrade show? Anderlecht played defensive away from home as they often do, but still they managed more attempts on goal then Partizan. They controlled the game and got deservedly 0-1 up. 5 minutes later Partizan created their fist (and only real) chance and levelled the game, before Lecjaks decided to help Partizan a little by making one of the most beautiful own goals ever seen. I always had a feeling that if Anderlecht really pushed they would score. They did and 2-2 is a very good result away from home. Anderlecht's team performance was far from great and they got some key players out of form or injured, but Partizan is so poor that I can't see anything but an Anderlecht home win. I'd go for Anderlecht -1.5, but I have already to much money on Anderlecht qualifying so I'll just let it ride.
Hmm. Obviously the same game we look with different fan's eyes :). Don't be mad on me and let the better team win tonight. :ok :hope for Partizan

Maybe Anderlecht didn't show anything but what we must say about Partizan performance then and playin at home??? just awful but still the better chances were for Anderlecht....they played with a very defensive approach but still managed to score 2 goals. At home Anderlecht is a different team playin in 4-3-3 with big pressing,this time we can expect a good pitch not like in Belgrade. Also good news is that Biglia and Legear are back in the squad and it's always good for the team....probable line up is : Proto, Gillet, Mazuch, Juhasz, Deschacht, Kouyaté, Marecek, Polak, Boussoufa, Suarez, Lukaku. I took HW @ 1.7 in local with good stake GL

Hapoel Tel Aviv-FC Salzburg: I watched the game last week in the Red Bull Arena and i was shocked. Both teams made such big mistakes in their defence it was horrible.They did not have the niveau for the champions league group stage anyway.There could have been 6 or 7 goals.But if we look at the game closely last week there had been a few key situations.An early penalty 4 minutes after the beginning for Hapoel and the goal in the 44th minute.hapoel did always score with very fast counter attacks when salzburg began to play good football.Also the 3:1 goal 10 min after the halftime break. 3:2 at the end because of the Wallner pealty goal. After the 3:2 Hapoel could have scored two goals more because of their fast attacking football. What i want to say is that salzburg has to play offensive today, they have nothing to loose. So coach stevens will play with Wallner(or boghossian) and Alan (2 strikers).That is a very important fact because Stevens never does that. Even against poor teams like kapfenberg. So he will risk a lot today. Like i mentioned before Hapoel did very well with playing fast counter attacks.So i believe there will be many goals tonight. So because of the reasons that i mentioned above my main bet for todays match over 2,5 goals(tipico1,75) .Another bet i looked at: both teams to score@1,65 tipico So good luck to all of you
Agree with you, small bet on over 2.5 @1.85 (b365).

Maybe Anderlecht didn't show anything but what we must say about Partizan performance then and playin at home??? just awful but still the better chances were for Anderlecht....they played with a very defensive approach but still managed to score 2 goals. At home Anderlecht is a different team playin in 4-3-3 with big pressing,this time we can expect a good pitch not like in Belgrade. Also good news is that Biglia and Legear are back in the squad and it's always good for the team....probable line up is : Proto, Gillet, Mazuch, Juhasz, Deschacht, Kouyaté, Marecek, Polak, Boussoufa, Suarez, Lukaku. I took HW @ 1.7 in local with good stake GL
any news on Legaer and Lukaku?? Because I know Lukaku has troubles with his knees, if Legaer is fit to play I think perhaps he'll play and Suarez go to the centre in place of Lukaku...

Re: UEFA > Champions League > 24th - 25th August Sampdoria vs Werder. Over 3.5 goals. 3.00 @ Stan James Werder is one of the most attractive teams. The Germans play themselves and doesn't ruin opponents' play. That's why they lose quite often, like they did in their last Bundesliga match going 4-1 down away to Hoffenheim. Sampdoria needs to score at least twice today and that promises open match. I can see over 3.5 goals here which was the case in the first leg which was won 3-1 by Werder. Anderlecht vs Partizan. Over 2.5 goals. 1.80 @ Stan James Sure winner this one. There's nothing like sure bet but this one is, well at least looks like one. Anderlecht got two away goals in Belgrade (2:2) and should be rated as favorites to advance from this tie. Partizan will be forced to play attacking football and that will open up their defense with Anderlecht being able to get enough chances on counter attacks. Won't be dull match and 3 goals at least in this one.

any news on Legaer and Lukaku?? Because I know Lukaku has troubles with his knees' date=' if Legaer is fit to play I think perhaps he'll play and Suarez go to the centre in place of Lukaku...[/quote'] confirmed line up: Proto, Gillet, Mazuch, Juhasz, Deschacht, Kouyaté, Biglia, Polak, Boussoufa, Suarez, Lukaku. Great news :Biglia startin and Legear on the bench

Re: UEFA > Champions League > 24th - 25th August Apologies for the late feedback but I have to say it, Sevilla looks a classic betting trap tonight... 0-1 away is always very very difficult to overturn and Braga are no mugs, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for them and write them off at your peril, these guys fought Benfica to the very last minute of the Portuguese league and came up good in nearly every difficult match they played with the exception of Porto away. I think Sevilla could win by a goal yet go out, and it wouldn't surprise me if Braga get a result here. Braga +0.75 at 2.75 with Bet365 is the value bet for me.

Sampdoria vs Werder. Over 3.5 goals. 3.00 @ Stan James Werder is one of the most attractive teams. The Germans play themselves and doesn't ruin opponents' play. That's why they lose quite often, like they did in their last Bundesliga match going 4-1 down away to Hoffenheim. Sampdoria needs to score at least twice today and that promises open match. I can see over 3.5 goals here which was the case in the first leg which was won 3-1 by Werder. Anderlecht vs Partizan. Over 2.5 goals. 1.80 @ Stan James Sure winner this one. There's nothing like sure bet but this one is, well at least looks like one. Anderlecht got two away goals in Belgrade (2:2) and should be rated as favorites to advance from this tie. Partizan will be forced to play attacking football and that will open up their defense with Anderlecht being able to get enough chances on counter attacks. Won't be dull match and 3 goals at least in this one.
WIN WIN What a drama in Genoa. Fantastic late goal by Werder! :nana:rollin:clap

SEVILLA V.S. BRAGA - (AH) SEVILLA -1.25 @ 1.86 ladbrokes See, now Sevilla needs at least a 2 goals cushion, without conceding, to even qualify. If that isn't an equation for a 2-0 or 3-0 scoreline, i dont know what is ;) Very honestly, Sevilla is a force to reckon with at their home ground. They did beat barcelona 3-1 at home a few weeks back. I know some of you guys probably say, "againstallodds, that wasn't Barcelona's first team!" Well, that can be a valid reasoning but, Barcelona has such a great team depth, it doesn't actually matter whether they are playing team A or team B. Messi was there, Ibramovic was there, Dani Alves was there. Just admit it, Sevilla is scary at home. Braga? If my memory serves me well, Sevilla should have been 1 up in first half if not for the post. So yeah, go for -1.25 tonight because a Category Luis Fabiano storm is coming tonight boys!:lol
:rollin:rollin

WIN WIN What a drama in Genoa. Fantastic late goal by Werder! :nana:rollin:clap
congrats :) we all discussing about who was gonna win the anderlecht game, and a lot of guys placed a bet, but no one but you had it right so it seems :eek

Re: UEFA > Champions League > 24th - 25th August The strangest penalty shoot-out I have ever seen in the Anderlecht - Partizan game, Anderlecht kicked three penalties that wouldn't have gone in if they had two goals on top of each other! The pitch has cost them £15m..the Partizan goalkeeper is an utter clown, if they play him against better sides they will get murdered, well either of these teams are likely to get murdered! Poor defensively both of them.. Sorry know this doesn't really belong here, just wanted to make my point!

Apologies for the late feedback but I have to say it, Sevilla looks a classic betting trap tonight... 0-1 away is always very very difficult to overturn and Braga are no mugs, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for them and write them off at your peril, these guys fought Benfica to the very last minute of the Portuguese league and came up good in nearly every difficult match they played with the exception of Porto away. I think Sevilla could win by a goal yet go out, and it wouldn't surprise me if Braga get a result here. Braga +0.75 at 2.75 with Bet365 is the value bet for me.
:notworthy

The strangest penalty shoot-out I have ever seen in the Anderlecht - Partizan game' date=' Anderlecht kicked three penalties that wouldn't have gone in if they had two goals on top of each other! The pitch has cost them £15m.. [/quote'] The strange thing about it is that Partizan players didn't seem to have any problems with the penallty spot - all their penalties were on target. But especially Anderlecht's first and last penalty were totally bizarre.

I dont touch Ajax with those odds. I see value on Auxerre and Basel. Basel defeat Debrecen last round in both matches. Debrecen is better team than Sheriff. Basel have a chance to score goals when Sheriff plays an open football. Away win @ 2.55 :nana Zenith is not doing great on away matches and also they only scored 1 goal at home against Auxerre. Zenit could not beat 10 men Urziceni on away match. Urziceni is at the bottom of their league and did not get a win there. French teams are always strong and very dangerous at home. I can see a French victory here but can Auxerre pass, dont know. Home Win @ 2.40 GL all
this is what i called swiss chocolate. come on auxerre its ur turn.:beer