Announcements
** August Nap's Competition Result : 1st Thebestthere, 2nd Glavintoby, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert, KO Cup Steve75, Most Winners Alastair, York Comp: Thebestthere**
**September Poker League Result : 1st Kevsul £75, 2nd Gemic £45, 3rd Barry John £30**
Sign in to follow this  
Spooner

Haydock - Saturday 7th August

Haydock Park

Time Race Distance Entries (NR)
1:50 PM Racing UK Handicap 1m 6f 6 (0)
2:20 PM WKD Handicap 1m 30yds 17 (0)
2:50 PM totesport.com Rose Of Lancaster Stakes (Group 3) 1m 2f 95yds 9 (0)
3:25 PM totescoop6 Heritage Handicap 1m 2f 95yds 18 (2)
4:00 PM Abacus Securities Nursery 5f 9 (0)
4:35 PM Halliwell Jones BMW 'Joy' Handicap 6f 17 (0)
5:10 PM Duke Of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry Handicap (Div 1) 6f 13 (0)
5:45 PM TurfTV.co.uk Handicap (Div 2) 6f 12 (0)

Re: Haydock - Saturday 7th August 3:25 Haydock Persian Peril 0.5pt EW - 22/1 Persian Peril looks a good price for me here. Hasn't won over this exact distance but has won on soft going over further, and with more rain forcast for tomorrow on what is already soft ground, stamina may play a bigger part. Both jockey and trainer are in form here too, so I'm hopeful for a big run. His form this year hasn't been great, but he's yet to race on soft ground. This horse also loves Haydock, winning twice from three outings there. Four of his five wins have been at this time of year, so if he's going to go in again, now's the time for it.

Re: Haydock - Saturday 7th August After his treble on Friday at Brighton, I'm anticipating that Neil Callan could have a huge day at Haydock on Saturday. After a very barren three week spell where he'd had very little support from his bigger stables, Michael Jarvis and Clive Brittain, never mind the continued mysterious dearth of good work from Kevin Ryan, and a few suspensions, Callan has finally scooped up a good quality book of rides. First up he's on relative newcomer Shubaat who was mighty impressive on his first outing. He'll have a bit of a chance on Green Moon in the third race though his own stable's horse Les Fazzani (Hanagan rides) might be the one to beat given conditions. He's then up on Jarvis's Derby horse Hot Prospect. I'd prefer to hear if they think he can handle the conditions, otherwise I'd suspect he'd have a strong shout, and lastly he rides Harry Patch, long term absentee, in race 5. Harry Patch had a very impressive 2yo campaign, but hasn't run since. He was proven in soft conditons and is well thought of. I haven't worked out staking plans but I may also cover a few multiples on the three jarvis runners.

Re: Haydock - Saturday 7th August 2:50 Haydock - Green Moon - 3pts @ 5/1 (Bet365) Extremely progressive 3 year old who has lots more to come, destroyed Monterosso in a handicap when beating him by 4 lengths, went on to win a Listed race quite handsomely after that but flopped last time out when 7l behind Monterosso at Ascot, possibly found the trip a bit of a stretch and back down to just over 10f now which is ideal. He runs here only carrying 8st 8lbs and has a great jockey in Neil Callan on board. Callan hit a dry spell for a few weeks but notched up a treble at Brighton yesterday and seems to have found his rhythm again. This horse won hist Listed race on similar ground to what he'll have tomorrow and time-wise he's faster in the final furlong that Paco Jack who has an electric turn of foot. He has had nearly two month off the track and should strip better for having a break, the trainer seemed quite confident when interviewed and I think there's a lot more to come from this horse. Seems great value at 5/1 and I feel he has a better chance than the odds suggest. I'll be surprised if he doesn't go fairly well and warrants a medium sized bet for me.

Re: Haydock - Saturday 7th August I've had a long lingering look at the three scoop 6 races 2.20: Smokey Oakey and Collateral Damage 2 horses who relish the cut and who seem to be on very interesting handicap marks. The draw could be kinder to Collateral though. 250: Fallen Idol and Les Fazzani 3yo have a good record in this one, and Fallen Idol, though not having ridden on soft conditions, should be ok, being by Pivotal. Les Fazzani of course will get the conditions. 325: Brushing and Hot Prospect I don't know if Hot Prospect will like the going, I have to presume he'd not be running if it was too much. The drop in trip may compensate for stamina sapping conditions. Brushing beat me a couple of months ago giving away 6lbs when I'd backed Pendragon at Carlisle in the Cumberland Plate, and Pendragon has impressively franked that form twice.

Re: Haydock - Saturday 7th August 4.00 Haydock These 2 year old races haven’t given me much luck since i started looking at races in depth but i love looking through them and hopefully i will gradually start to improve. This nursery is a competitive event where a good argument can be made for 3 or 4 of the runner in my opinion. However, i think the softer ground may prove the difference and experience running on it is vital. Jamesway comes into this from yard having a fine season and a with a jockey on board in equally good form but despite this i have decided to look elsewhere due to a slight reservation about how the softer ground will suit. Ballinargh Girl is a filly trained in a fairly small yard and on paper doesn’t have the greatest pedigree. She has ridden here before, when racing for the first time, and came 2nd when being pulled out into the clean air in order to run on well. Next time out she was well fancied to get off the mark and did so comfortably up at Hamilton on good to soft ground. Both of those runs were under todays jockey Andrew Elliot. She didn’t disgrace herself at HQ over 6f last time out when coming in 5th out of the 15 runners but the way she never found any extra at the finish suggests the drop back in trip my suit. Admittedly, there may be better well bred horses in this race with bigger futures ahead of them but i am willing to take a small chance with a filly who isn’t carrying a lot of weight and has already shown promise at the course and also on softer ground. 0.5pt E/W Ballinargh Girl SP

Re: Haydock - Saturday 7th August Icon Dream 2.50 Haydock (each way) 22-1 SkyBet Outpaced over 10f but then stepped up to 12f to finish narrow 2nd to Ted Spread at Chester when giving away a lot of ground at the start of the race. Dropped back to 10f and finished 3l behind Jan Vermeer. Stepped up to 2m next time out and beaten over 17 lengths that day, fading when trying to challenge. They don't seem to know the ideal distance for the horse but based on the Chester run I'd say it was probably 1m4f. Goes today over 1m2f again and on soft ground, was 2nd on good to soft ground and it may be the conditions that make most difference, rather than the trip. Only 3 yr old and should be capable of winning at least a Group 3 race, the abiity to get its toe in the ground may prove all the difference. It has raced 5 times, was 1st on heavy and 2nd on gd-sft, on gd-fm it was 6th of 8, 4th of 7 and 10th of 12.

Re: Haydock - Saturday 7th August 13:50 - Shubaat @ 5/4 Betfred Impressive when winning on debut at Doncaster, step up in trip and the predicted rain should be helpful to the selection. Can get off the mark first time in handicap company.

Re: Haydock - Saturday 7th August

Live near the course lads and it is raining very heavily don't know if this help any of you. NR
Yip it does. Hope fully it will get into the ground and be nice in soft for ICELANDIC in the 4.35 who looks a cracking e/w bet at 16's. Hasn't won since Nov 08 but is a very good horse in soft conditions. Off 94 in this Class 3 and hopefully soft ground is a mighty big threat here and 16's is to big imo.

Re: Haydock - Saturday 7th August 3.25 Another horse that will like the soft ground is bottom weight PERSIAN PERIL 25/1 BET365. Will have to be at its best off this high mark and grade but in a tough race is worth e/w bet at track it goes well at.

Re: Haydock - Saturday 7th August 2.20 Pleasant Day EW 12/1, Various, and Marvo EW 33/1 Bet 365 Just looking through the race for the Scoop 6 and these stand out to me at the prices. Pleasant Day has been disappointing this year but the form I like is where he narrowly missed out in a Group 3 last year on soft. Should have ideal conditions here and can go close despite the draw. Marvo looks weighed to go close here after some poor form but last win came on soft ground where he was 1llb lower this time last year in class 3. This is tougher hence the price but with conditions suiting for the first time in a while could go close at a big price.

Re: Haydock - Saturday 7th August 14:20 - Our Joe Mac TBP @ EVS bet365 Should be more suited on ground conditions looking at his effort at Chester a few runs ago, Fahey/Hanagan combo always worth following anf fancy their runner to make the frame. 14:50 - Distant Memories TBP @ EVS bet365 Been very progressive this season, will love the ground conditions not sure the horse will win the race as his stepping up a level again here but feel he'll go close. 15:25 - Persian Peril TBP @ 4/1 Bet365 Not proven at this level but will enjoy the softening ground, has previously enjoyed going around this course and around this trip so entitled to go better today.

Re: Haydock - Saturday 7th August 2.20 I think trainer Mark Tompkins has a good chance of landing this. He has two runner in this SMOKEY OAKEY 10/1 WIN & MARVO 33/1 E/W (65 0n bf taken). Both will like the ground and interesting the Dazzler is booked for Marvo while former lincoln winner Smokey is back on a winable mark.

Re: Haydock - Saturday 7th August

2:50 Haydock - Green Moon - 3pts @ 5/1 (Bet365) Extremely progressive 3 year old who has lots more to come, destroyed Monterosso in a handicap when beating him by 4 lengths, went on to win a Listed race quite handsomely after that but flopped last time out when 7l behind Monterosso at Ascot, possibly found the trip a bit of a stretch and back down to just over 10f now which is ideal. He runs here only carrying 8st 8lbs and has a great jockey in Neil Callan on board. Callan hit a dry spell for a few weeks but notched up a treble at Brighton yesterday and seems to have found his rhythm again. This horse won hist Listed race on similar ground to what he'll have tomorrow and time-wise he's faster in the final furlong that Paco Jack who has an electric turn of foot. He has had nearly two month off the track and should strip better for having a break, the trainer seemed quite confident when interviewed and I think there's a lot more to come from this horse. Seems great value at 5/1 and I feel he has a better chance than the odds suggest. I'll be surprised if he doesn't go fairly well and warrants a medium sized bet for me.
I've just read the trainer's comments in my local paper (glasgow evening times), trainer seems to be on a bit of a comeback mission, wanted some cut, etc. feeling a bit more positive about it after the sizeable write up.

Re: Haydock - Saturday 7th August 2.20 Haydock Smokey Oakey finally gets the ground conditions he needs, he has been running well in limited starts this season when finishing 4th in the Lincoln, failed on fast ground after but bounced back last time out in conditions race at newmarket on good ground. 3lb lower than his run in the Lincoln this year and if reproducing that he should be right in the mix! 0.5pt e/w smokey oakey 10/1 sj

Re: Haydock - Saturday 7th August HANAGAN STOOD DOWN Paul Hanagan stood down today, 11 rides Haydock and Ayr, he has been sick all night after riding a four time at Musselburgh last night. Tony Hamilton takes all his rides for Fahey. Les Fazzani is the most high profile horse affected, no word on jockey booking. Stable jockey Neil Callan is on Green Moon for Harry Dunlop

Re: Haydock - Saturday 7th August 14:20 Haydock The lightly raced Makaamen takes my eye in this race. The Barry Hills trained runner has only been on track 7 times and is now 4 years old. Had just the one run as a 2 year old before going on to win his first 2 starts in 2009 at the age of 3. The first came in a maiden race at Doncaster over 7 furlongs before following that up with another win over 7 furlongs at Newbury in Soft conditions off a mark of 90. Has dropped back down to that mark of 90 today so he is on a winnable mark. Four runs since that last win haven't been the best but I feel his two runs so far this season in the Victoria Cup and Spring Cup are better than his position suggests. This will only be his second start over the mile trip and at the prices he is definately worth a bet considering he surely has more to offer and will handle the ground conditions. Trainers only runner at the meeting and the jockey has a nice 19% strike rate for him. Mark Johnston won this race last year and I feel Autumn Riches will be one of the big dangers in this race. 0.5pt E/W Makaamen @ 16/1 (Betfred - BOG)

Re: Haydock - Saturday 7th August 2:20 Haydock: Tiger Reigns 1pt e/w 20/1 Betfred & Makaamen 1pt e/w 18/1 Skybet Purely on the statistics Tiger Reigns has a better chance than his 20/1 suggests. He is 2 from 3 on this going, 5 from 9 over this distance, and 1 from 1 at Haydock. On his highest mark, but will relish conditions where some of his rivals may not. Makaamen gives the impression there is much more to come and if right could go well at a decent price. His sire Selkirk won on softer going. Worth chancing at the price.

Re: Haydock - Saturday 7th August Not too terrrible a day, Shubat maybe bit off a bit too much but will be worth following again on better ground. A guy in my local shop talked me into backing Silver Rime, i took it to place and got a nice wee return though I did also back smokey oakey. I had a small bet on Les Fazzani too, but felt that I had to have a good bet on Hot Prospect which was unexpectedly easy looking for a 5/1 shot. Also had a wee punt on Harry Patch which I thought was looking very good, this boy will be worth following too, after a long time out injured, he looked good. I don't know what came over me, I bet him to win rather than place, I must have been a bit too full of beans after HP's win :)

Re: Haydock - Saturday 7th August One painful lesson I keep learning the hard way, If John Gosden sends runners up north, get on! Why don't I ever wake up to the obvious? 2 runners today, one 5/1 winner. The other day he had 2 runners and an 8/1 winner.