** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis: 26 July - 1 August

Loads of tournaments this week. ATP events in Umag, Gstaad and Los Angeles. WTA in Istanbul and Stanford. One early pick for me. WTA Stanford: Kleybanova to beat Ivanovic @ 8/13 (Bet365:7/10) Ivanovic is slumping these days, personal problems and loss of form and confidence. Looks emotional on court these days and her serve is not good recently. Anyway, she's struggling. Kleybanova looks a pretty bad match-up for her....3-1 H2H with 2 wins coming in 2010...Kleybanova winning 6-3 6-0 at the French, and 6-2 6-3 in DC on hard court. French win is extremely worrying for Ivanovic as she really should have a clear advantage over Kleybanova on clay but got walloped. On a fast court, have to favour Kleybanova. She has a pretty good serve, can out-hit Ivanovic and is rightly favourite here IMO. GL!

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis: 26 July - 1 August Following no doubt. Think I'm right in thinking the last time these two played was at the French Open. Backed Kleybanova then and won in straight, 6-0 in the second. Have a trend atm to oppose Ivanovic whoever she plays :lol

Re: Tennis: 26 July - 1 August Also looking closely at Pe'er. One of my favourite women players in truth, playing Hantuchova who hasn't done too much this year. 5/6 atm which is interesting. Pe'er is so often under-rated in the bookies eyes even though when ever I see her she seems to impress.

Re: Tennis: 26 July - 1 August I'm off on holiday on thursday so want to have a decent week before I relax and enjoy the sun. Not taking slider's bets this week, they will only choke ;). That accumalator looks good though for today mate. Just a third one I intend to have a closer look at is the Sharapova match. Jie Sheng got to the semis in Australia earlier in the year and has a good price. Looks like there should be some money to be had :hope

Re: Tennis: 26 July - 1 August Right had a look and I'm going to take an outright in Stanford at a small stake. Pe'er to win Bank of West Classic- 25/1- E/w 1/2 odds first 2- 1 Pts- Ladbrokes Going to take this one as I feel the Israeli could get a little run together in Stanford. Been a fan of her all round play and attitude on and off a tennis court. She has had a really good season, both on clay and hard court. In the first two hard court tournaments in the year she made the semi and then the final, losing to Alona Bondarenko, but beat the likes of Hercog, Kirilenko and Errani relatively comfortably. She carried on this good form but was unlucky in who she was faced. At the Australian Open she was drawn against the beautiful Wozniacki ;) but was beaten. Her best peformance of the year came in Dubai where she beat the likes of Wickmayer, Li and got her revenge over Wozniacki, before losing to Venus in the semis. After this, she was only beaten by the top class players on the women's circuit such as Clijsters and Jankovic. Through the clay court season she also impressed, losing to one half of the Williams sisters 3 times in consecutive tournaments. From her performances it shows she can mix with the big guns. If she gets on a run, fair chance she could play Sharapova in semis which would test her, but I'd like to believe that if she is playing well enough to reach the semis, she could go all the way. It's a massive price and the bookies are looking past her to mount a serious challenge so feel it's worth a shot even with small stakes.

Re: Tennis: 26 July - 1 August ATP Farmers Classic: Winner Marcos Baghdatis @ 34/1 - bwin The odds Bwin have set here are just way too large imo, and far above the market. Baghadatis has been lucky enough to be drawn in the easy half of the tournament, avoiding big names such as Murray, Gulbis, Lopez, Malisse and Fish, and won't meet any of these before a final. Sam Querrey will be his main oponent in going to a final, but Baghdatis should be second favourite on this bottom half of the draw. He's had some bad results on the grass his last three times out, but on the hard court he recently beat Federer at Indian Wells, won in Sydney and reached the semi's in Dubai. Odds are clearly way too high here, for a player with a really good chance to reach the finals.

Re: Tennis: 26 July - 1 August

ATP Farmers Classic: Winner Marcos Baghdatis @ 34/1 - bwin The odds Bwin have set here are just way too large imo, and far above the market. Baghadatis has been lucky enough to be drawn in the easy half of the tournament, avoiding big names such as Murray, Gulbis, Lopez, Malisse and Fish, and won't meet any of these before a final. Sam Querrey will be his main oponent in going to a final, but Baghdatis should be second favourite on this bottom half of the draw. He's had some bad results on the grass his last three times out, but on the hard court he recently beat Federer at Indian Wells, won in Sydney and reached the semi's in Dubai. Odds are clearly way too high here, for a player with a really good chance to reach the finals.
That looks a good fine tbh, might have a bit of that. Only thing that remains with Baghdatis is that he is hit or miss. Sometimes he will give it his all and sometimes disinterested. Had that really good win against Federer early on in the year then lost to Robredo, a guy nowhere near Federer's standard. Could be worth it at those odds though.

Re: Tennis: 26 July - 1 August Lammer @ 2.28 on Betfair Price shortening everywhere here. Unbackable normally but he won the doubles here last year and being local is likely to have acclimatised to the conditions, Gstaad is 1000m above sea level. Brown has a terrific serve but has lost over and over again on clay to even lower ranked players than Lammer. He played singles and doubles bundesliga matches yesterday and only arrived last night. So I don't think he's prepared at all. Small stakes as there's plenty of much better matches coming up.

Re: Tennis: 26 July - 1 August Couple matches today that have caught my eye. Oleksandr Dolgopolov -4 (AH) v Paolo Lorenzi. 1.79 @ Pinnacle (6/10) I reckon Dolgopolov as a much more better player at the moment and current ranking suggests exactly the same. Dolgopolov has made huge strides lately and should be able to the job pretty convincingly today. Lorenzi still has not stepped up from Challenger tour and perhaps this match against quality player like Dolgopolov will be too much for the Italian. Not sure Dolgopolov will be able to win in straight sets as he likes to play 3-setters but the end result should be Dolgopolov win and by 4 games at least. Juan Ignacio Chela -3.5 (AH) v Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo. 1.81 @ 5Dimes (7/10) Chela clear favorite in this one. Hidalgo has got past his best tennis some time ago whilst Chela is coming back to his best. She should be able to win pretty easily and 4 games is not that much in current circumstances. They have played 4 times before and Chela has won the lot, being victorious in last 3 matches all of which have been won by at least 5 games.

Re: Tennis: 26 July - 1 August Okay as well as my outright on Peer, going for a few around the tournaments today. Robredo and Chela double @ 1.81- Ladbrokes- 7/10 Quite clear these two players are good clay courters and are a class above their opponents here. Robredo plays GIl, who usually plays the lower ranked players around the circuit and has mixed success but could cause a problem here. However, Tommy has shown some good form on clay recently, getting to the semis in Sweeden, where he beat the likes of Golubev and Verdasco. Didn't make much progress in Hamburg last week where he lost to Starace in 3 sets but all in all he should have too much for the 83rd seed who most recently lost to the numbr 203 seed in his last outing on clay. Chela as Psycho has mentioned is playing some really good tennis atm, especially on clay which brings the best out of him. The striking comparison is the head to head though, which although doesn't mean too much on ocassions, Chela has in truth eased to a 4-0 H2H record. Chela has found some from at the right moment so can't see any problems for him today on his preferred surface. Kleybanova to beat Ivanovic 8/13- Ladbrokes- 6/10 A stand out bet for me really. Ivanovic always seems to have decent odds as a result of her number 1 status a couple of years back. Besides in2 events this year, she has really struggled no matter what the surface. In the first event of the year on hard court in Australia, she made it to the semis before losing to Justin Henin. But from that point on, she only won 2 matches out of 7 on the hard court against players that a couple of years ago she wouldn't have had any problem with. She had her 2nd good run of the season in Italy where she again went to the semis but her form dipped again and she lost the majority of matches. Hasn't played since Wimbledon so might not be up to pace with Kleybanova. The Russian has already won an event on hard court this year back in February and leads the H2h 3-1, 2 of those wins coming in straight sets this year. Tough draw for Ivanovic but can't see her winning this win, although wouldn't mind if she made it last a little bit, just for viewing reasons :lol. Date Krumm to beat Safina 11/8- Ladbrokes- 3/10 Going to take the 40 year old here as I feel she could spring an upset. She showed some good form on the hard court early on in the season, beating players such as Petrova and Razzano. Not being the youngest, she depends heavily on her ability to place the ball, using skill and making her opponent run around the court. This could be ideal due to Safina's recent injuries. Dinara did well at the Australian Open, reaching the 4th round, but since then has been plagued with injuries. Eventually had to retire in that 4th round match against Kirilenko and was forced to miss a few months due to the injury. Since then, she had only played 6 matches, losing 5 of them including to Krumm at the French Open. She again had injury problems and has missed the last month and a half so this is her first match back and she has been granted a Wildcard entry to the competition. Will be interesting to see how she fares but to make her favourite, after losing to her opponent a couple of months back and to have had bad injury trouble, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me so the experience to go through here for me. Gl all :ok

Re: Tennis: 26 July - 1 August Date-Krumm/Safina OVER 21 games (Asian H'cap) @ 1.926 (Pinnacle:5/10) Struggle to see either girl closing this in something like 6-4 6-4 or less. Safina has struggled since returning from injury, in her 6 matches since returning she has gone over this line 5 times and the other she was walloped by Peer. Her serve is not working, her movement, timing all look below her best standard. Date-Krumm is a veteran now but she's a fighter and beat Safina at the French this year despite being injured herself, and she has never really done much on clay in her earlier career whereas Safina is strong on the surface. On hard, she should be competitive aswell....could be a tough match for both. GL!

Re: Tennis: 26 July - 1 August there are some interesting ties in the women's qualifiers in stanford!! the following are my picks! jamie hampton to beat christina mchale 8-11 paddypowers i've been watching out for this youngster for a while now in the itf challenger tournaments in the states!! she seems to be a player with a lot of potential! in qualifying she beat lee waters in straights but perhaps more impressively she beat betthanie mattek!! she's in really good form at the moment and is full of confidence as she has won back to back itf challenger events in boston and grapevine...in grapevine she beat lepchenko in the semis and the very useful japanese girl nara in the final!! mchale has long been touted as a future star of tennis for the us and the 18 year old undouvtedly has talent!! yet her game still seems raw and one-dimensional from what i've seen of her and she has struggled so far to compete at this level of competition in her career!! she's not in bad form but hasn't really beaten anyone of any real consequence this year (except maybe kudraytseva in charlestown who is capable of losing to anyone) and she has been on the end of recent defeats to glutshko, mayr and camerin! she battled through in 2 tie-breaks in qualifying against mikasi doi who is decent but the high flying hampton is a step up still! (its worth noting that mchale did beat hampton in january on clay.. hammered her in fact....but my gut feeling is that hampton is a different monster now full of confidence and i like her chances here but we'll stick with a 2 [pointer for now!

please may i ask you about Malisse - Sela match? do you think Malisse will win or its better to stay away from this match?
Malisse is 1.4 in most places mate, the line has been beaten down too far IMO. Not surprising after Malisse took a set off Roddick while Sela was woeful against Young last week. I'd say Malisse will win but no value in his price. Smeg, I'll follow you on Hampton. Really impressive scalp beating Mattek, girl seems to be on fire....:hope

Re: Tennis: 26 July - 1 August Hello !!! after short holiday i am back with some picks:nana ATP Gstaad- winner Gasquet 3/10 @9,42 Betfair ATP Umag - winner Davydenko 2/10 @3,25 Paddy Power ATP Los Angeles - winner Murray 3/10 @2,25 Paddy Power I saw Richard today, his play was superb. He is after injury, and yes, after.. Nice odds for me. Davydenko is top10 player and he must win some tournament. Last year he won in croatia and i hope this year will too..Andy Murray, another top10 player..really big favourite in LA and best player here... ATP Umag Chela over Ramirez-Hidalgo 9/10 @1,44 Pinnacle x Dolgopolov over Lorenzi 9/10 @1,32 Pinnacle combination 9/10 @1,8744 Pinnacle Chela is better player. He has better H2H with Hidalgo. He was unlucky against Kohli and against Montanes, but Chela played well. Today easy win for Chela. No doubt. Dolgopolov is young player. He has very good first serve and forehand. He lost to Mayer in Hamburg, but he played well too. Lorenzi is not ATP player, he is average challenger player. He lost to Andujar last week an he had a lot of problems in first and second round with poor player. In my eyes is Dolgopolov better than Andujar and this must be easy win too.:hope

Re: Tennis: 26 July - 1 August Yep Smegster - you've reeled me in as well. Hampton has won her last ten matches in a row on hardcourt while McHale has been looking ropey recently, losing in the first round of a tournament that Hampton went on to win at Grapevine :hope

Oh well. Looks like McHale just has the wood over Hampton' date=' regardless of form.[/quote'] yeah sorry about that mate!! on paper it looked like a good punt!! but the tie break proved decisive! still bad judgement on my part!! we'll just have 2 keep on goin!

Re: Tennis: 26 July - 1 August A. Velotti to beat A. Beck 4.84 at pinnacle (3/10) The young argentinian is an actual promise and is usually a davis cup sparring, so he knows the feeling of playing against top players (of course not in tournament level) but the huge odds justify the bet for me. Beck is not good form and lastly has lost to players that are not very good so in my opinion Velotti might stand a chance here. :hope

Re: Tennis: 26 July - 1 August Alisa Kleybanova -2.5 (AH) v Ana Ivanovic. 1.85 @ Expekt. (7/10) Kleybanova has got the game to blow everybody off the court, even best players in the world. Despite the fact that she is very big girl and overweight she moves very well and will be a nightmare match-up for Ivanovic who is struggling for form for ages. They have played 4 times before and Kleybanova has won 3 of those matches including last two meetings where she hammered Ivanovic by 6-2, 6-3 and 6-3,6-0 with the later win coming on clay which is not Kleybanova's favorite surface. I see no much value in outright win for the Russian and believe that she will be able to cover this handicap.