Announcements
** July Nap's Competition Result : 1st Rainbow, 2nd Trainmad091, 3rd Zidane123, KO Cup Bathtime For Rupert, Most Winners Alastair, Goodwood Comp: Glavintoby**
**July Poker League Result : 1st Craggwood £75, 2nd Like2Fish £45, 3rd Rivrd £30**
Sign in to follow this  
mowgli77

The Jockey Thread

Re: The Jockey Thread It is a gambling forum, and you are entitled to your opinion, but the vulgar language you used in that long post of drivel is not tolerated here. Childish, immature pocket talking post, you can dress it up whatever way you want. Say what you want, but leave the foul language out. This isn't a playground for you to come in and vent your anger at life JIM.

Re: The Jockey Thread I'm a little late coming to the party here, and Aidy has touched on it, but what do people think of Moore handing the title to Hughes on a plate by deciding not to ride in Britain again this season? I can remember there was a big debate on the jockey's title last year and how Moore had won the most prize money (same again this year) and that, perhaps, the criteria for the jockey title should be rethought. Winning the title isn't going to get you more rides anyway and I'm sure Hughes is just as happy churning them out and writing on his CV that he's the reigning champion jockey as Moore is focusing on winning the bigger races and writing that he's won the most prize money. Probably for the best anyway as Hughes would have given the better acceptance speech ;)

Re: The Jockey Thread It's quite an easy answer as to why Moore handed it to him Jay, simply he doesn't give a toss about the jockeys' title. He's more concerned about concentrating on his big job at hand in Australia and in the big races, he was never one that set his stall out to win a jockeys' title and he said that himself earlier in the season.

Re: The Jockey Thread

It is a gambling forum, and you are entitled to your opinion, but the vulgar language you used in that long post of drivel is not tolerated here. Childish, immature pocket talking post, you can dress it up whatever way you want. Say what you want, but leave the foul language out. This isn't a playground for you to come in and vent your anger at life JIM.
Swearing was invented for piss poor rides.

Swearing was invented for piss poor rides.
I backed a horse called Down Ace at 11/8 yesterday, ran at Thurles. Paul Carberry decided to give the winner a 30 length head start over 2m2f and he lost by a length, so I know how frustrating it is. But all the same, there is no need for the language. By the way, I urge you to look at the Down Ace ride yesterday, and tell me what you think.

Re: The Jockey Thread Jimmy2shoes : great post. I applaud no nonsense truth speakers. Aidymac : you say I talk shite all the time . For somebody who polices the forum with his online truncheon , is that an acceptable way to conduct yourself ? By the way I am not offended in anyway. Carry on saying that , I would prefer that if thats how you feel. Champion jockey ...Richard Hughes. I agree with Jimmy , he does not deserve praise. The criteria of determining the best jockey is not best served by the championship. I am not in any way saying R Hughes is not a top jockey , he is , although he is very lazy when all chance of a win has gone. Ryan Moore is the best and gave the title away.

I backed a horse called Down Ace at 11/8 yesterday' date=' ran at Thurles. Paul Carberry decided to give the winner a 30 length head start over 2m2f and he lost by a length, so I know how frustrating it is. But all the same, there is no need for the language. By the way, I urge you to look at the Down Ace ride yesterday, and tell me what you think.[/quote'] I watched that ride yesterday. I would describe it as pi55 poor. Aidymac , you use the word shite to describe my posts. You can't restrict one persons use of language when you use similar language yourself. Question , are you offended by foul language ? The truth is I am not. The use of certain words emphasizes the severity of your content. Do you ever swear yourself? How do you know others are offended? To be honest I don't know anyone who is genuinely offended.

We often get threads discussing certain jockeys that have given a horse a particularly good or bad ride and there is sometimes discussion around jockeys in form, jockeys that do well at certain tracks and ones to follow or ones to avoid. I thought it might be an idea to have a specific thread to discuss jockeys performances and rather than it just be punters slagging off jockeys and talking through their pockets like you may find elsewhere lets try concentrate on the good rides mainly and make a note of up and coming jockeys that look like stars of the future.
First post from the thread. If you look at the last page or two it has descended into exactly what we'd hoped to avoid. For every one post praising a jockey there are 10 moaning about a ride yet not very much in the way of jockeys to look out for. It would be nice to talk about the wonderful seasons of Atzeni, Moore, Oisin Murphy, Tudhope and Paul Mulrennan to name a few rather than focus purely on bad rides.

First post from the thread. If you look at the last page or two it has descended into exactly what we'd hoped to avoid. For every one post praising a jockey there are 10 moaning about a ride yet not very much in the way of jockeys to look out for. It would be nice to talk about the wonderful seasons of Atzeni' date=' Moore, Oisin Murphy, Tudhope and Paul Mulrennan to name a few rather than focus purely on bad rides.[/quote'] Ok fair point. So where do we discuss the bad rides ? or do we just just forget them and brush them under the carpet ?

I backed a horse called Down Ace at 11/8 yesterday' date=' ran at Thurles. Paul Carberry decided to give the winner a 30 length head start over 2m2f and he lost by a length, so I know how frustrating it is. But all the same, there is no need for the language. By the way, I urge you to look at the Down Ace ride yesterday, and tell me what you think.[/quote'] Yipp poor ride from Carberry, SHOULD have tracked closer to Dazzling Susie, PC was pretty much gambling on DS getting tired over the last 2 fences, she didn't. Down Ace wasn't beat by a length fella, more like 5+ Full Result
Pos Dist Horse Trainer Age Weight Jockey SP
1st 2 Dazzling Susie (IRE) John F Phelan 9 11-0 B T O'Connell 9/4
Made all, slight mistakes 1st 2, inclined to jump slightly right, went on from before 5 out, a little slow 3 out, pushed along approaching straight, reduced lead 2 out, stayed on well from before last to draw clear again run-in opened 2/1
2nd 5½ 3 Down Ace (IRE) N Meade 7 10-10 P Carberry 4/7f
Soon raced in poor 3rd, slightly slow 5th, went moderate 2nd approaching 4 out where mistake, closed 2 out but ridden, one pace from before last and soon no impression opened 8/11
I feel for you're loss, i know some will say its racing but it just fk'ing angers me so much at times. Maybe its just time to take a step back for a while, tried it twice already this year, maybe the break just wasn't long enough.

Re: The Jockey Thread Ryan Moore cracking ride on Adelaide in the Cox Plate in Australia. Kept out the back and then swept around the field to come home strongly. Did it the hard way but got everything just right check out a video if you can!

Re: The Jockey Thread [h=1]Imposter withdraws cash from riders' accounts[/h] BY GRAHAM GREEN6:55PM 24 OCT 2014 BRITAIN'S jockeys are being targeted in a fraud that has resulted in £20,000 being taken from the bank accounts of Joe Fanning, Paul Hanagan, Rab Havlin and Andrew Tinkler in the past week and a half. In each instance cash was handed over the counter by staff at different branches of Barclays to somebody claiming to be the jockey. It has also emerged that earlier this year a number of riders, including Andrew Thornton, Tony Hamilton, Liam Treadwell, Dougie Costello, Jim Crowley and Nick Scholfield, who were customers of either NatWest or Lloyds Bank, fell victim to the fraud, which is so far thought to have netted around £50,000. Following the previous incidents the money was refunded, as is again expected to be the case with the recent thefts, but in the absence of a co-ordinated investigation by police, who say banks have their own fraud teams, Professional Jockeys Association chief executive Paul Struthers is urging riders to be vigilant and regularly check withdrawals from their accounts. Speaking to the Racing Post on Friday, Newmarket-based Havlin said: "I had £2,600 taken on Wednesday but I was lucky because I get a text message if anything goes in or comes out over £1,500. I got a £1,750 debit alert on Thursday morning alert so I rang the bank and they said there had been a cash withdrawal in Leamington Spa, and they also took £850 out of my other account which I didn't know about. "I was nowhere near Leamington Spa on Wednesday and it's fortunate I got the alert or they could have gone back in every day and kept taking more. Barclays have said the money will be refunded, but it hasn't been so far."

Re: The Jockey Thread That's crazy stuff. When I first heard about it I presumed that it would be Weatherby's private bank who handle most race related finances, but to know it's gone on at three high street banks is even more worrying!

Re: The Jockey Thread Tony McCoy is going to take some time off.........:eek He's still suffering from the effects of his last injury and hasn't felt right since coming back to he's going to take at least two weeks to rest before having further tests He'll miss The Open Meeting Is this the first sign that the Champ is merely human after all ?........

Re: The Jockey Thread Buick and Doyle to Godolphin. :eek Got to feel for De Sousa, not being treat very well has he by the boys in blue? They've used about a dozen jockeys or more this season. I can't see Godolphin doing anything in the top group 1 races until they get a proper stallion. Coolmore seem to have the Derby sewn up every year.

Buick and Doyle to Godolphin. :eek Got to feel for De Sousa' date=' not being treat very well has he by the boys in blue? They've used about a dozen jockeys or more this season. I can't see Godolphin doing anything in the top group 1 races until they get a proper stallion. Coolmore seem to have the Derby sewn up every year.[/quote'] Agreed. Find it strange to a certain extend as well. Both had good jobs with guaranteed shots in Group races year in year out. Money does the talking though. Can't begrudge them. It's probably hard to say no to a million dollar retainer from Godolphin. I just hope it doesn't destroy their promising career, because they are hugely talented guys, though even they can't make up for the lack of equine quality that Godolphin has on offer currently, as you rightly pointing out. I feel sorry for De Sousa, who has been very badly treated in my mind. On the other hand it frees him to have a real go in the jockeys championship next year. Personally I do really like him. He's no-nonsense, tactical aware and strong in the saddle. What Godolphin isn't liking about him, is beyond me. But then, it seems Godolphin finds it difficult to reflect properly on their own failoures. They used to be a top class operation. Now the majority of their horses is competing in poor class All-Weather races. Says it all, really.

Re: The Jockey Thread A couple of ladies deserve a mention.. Lizzie Kelly for landing the fixed brush hurdle yesterday on Aubusson. And Lucy Gardner on Bredon Hill Lad in the first at Exeter today, I had her backed at 5/2, looked well beat, hit 1000 in running but Lucy galvanized the horse somehow... Fantastic ride.

Re: The Jockey Thread Jim Crowley's ride on Whispering Star in the Southwell 1:10 ? Anyone else see it ? Wouldn't like to have backed it, horrific ride in my opinion. And he is a brilliant jockey in general.

Re: The Jockey Thread Yep, saw it and he looked to be cruising. Should have tried to kick on sooner but Whispering Star didn't pick up anyway. I looked at the stallion stats for this race and in general, War Front's progent do not perform well on the fibresand anyway, whereas Invicible Spirit's (Wu Zeitan) do. However, just from looking from a race point of view, Crowley didn't look to have the best of tactics there.

A couple of ladies deserve a mention.. Lizzie Kelly for landing the fixed brush hurdle yesterday on Aubusson. And Lucy Gardner on Bredon Hill Lad in the first at Exeter today, I had her backed at 5/2, looked well beat, hit 1000 in running but Lucy galvanized the horse somehow... Fantastic ride.
It wasn't until after the race that I looked at Lizzie's stats - started riding under rules in 2009 - 43 rides since - 10 winners and has ridden a place 8 more times! Definitely one to take a note of, IMO

Jim Crowley's ride on Whispering Star in the Southwell 1:10 ? Anyone else see it ? Wouldn't like to have backed it, horrific ride in my opinion. And he is a brilliant jockey in general.
Just saw this now. Anyone who backed the horse will have an ill feeling in the stomach after the race. Crowley didn't look good and probably should have kicked on earlier. But you know how it is with those strong travelling sorts - more often than not they don't find nothing off the bridle. May be simply the case with this horse, or the filly lacks the will to win. Five x 2nd on the bounce now!

Re: The Jockey Thread Two cracking rides today 17th Dec 2014 - from. Tom Scudamore on Gevrey Chambertin, made all and was a very positive ride full of passion, great stuff. Jamie Spencer - on Master of Irony, coming off the bend it looked like even a place was ambitious, but he never gave up and knew what he had under him, 1f out he asked for an effort and got it, Cracking ride. Xmas card in the post Jamie.

Re: The Jockey Thread I think Kevin Sexton deserves a mention here. He caught the eye when winning on Balbriggan for Gordon Elliot and has been riding for him in big Sunday handicaps in Ireland since losing out by 1/2 a length on Vasco du Mee at Fairyhouse before finishing 4th on Lord Scoundrel last Sunday at Navan. Both Balbriggan and Vasco du Mee were huge gambles so when 3lb claimer Sexton is booked to ride for Elliot in a big handicap it looks wise to pay special attention. Definitely looks like a jockey with some talent as he as shown particularly over the past month.

Re: The Jockey Thread What a truly stunning ride from young Tom Marquand in the last at Lingfield Park. Look beat but sat and chilled and got busy where it mattered and got up to win, stunning for only his second CV win. Watch him for the future. [h=4]Full Result[/h]

Pos Dist Horse Trainer Age Weight Jockey SP
1st (7) 7 Chauvelin R Charlton 4 9-3 Tom Marquand (5) 2/1f
Tracked leading pair, 2nd 9f out until 8f out, chased leading pair, 2nd again well over 1f out, ridden to lead inside final furlong, kept on well opened 9/4