** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The Jockey Thread

Re: The Jockey Thread

Another handicap mark protected in the 9.00 at Kempton earlier' date=' Tom Queally definitely stopped his mount Tagalaka from achieving the best possible placing, coming down the outside like a train, quick glance across, hands dropped.[/quote'] I stick by my what i've said before, Frankel made him look good, he's never been, and never will be in my top 10 flat jockeys. I see the winner missed missed the start and lost about 6L - so fair play to him, gamble landed, wonder if Queally would have rode the same finish had it been Royal Ascot.

I stick by my what i've said before, Frankel made him look good, he's never been, and never will be in my top 10 flat jockeys. I see the winner missed missed the start and lost about 6L - so fair play to him, gamble landed, wonder if Queally would have rode the same finish had it been Royal Ascot.
He was already a top jockey before Frankel came along.

I look forward to the day you say something positive about anything Jim.
He's never done me in favours fella, i guess we stick with the jockeys that put food on the table, and sometimes they very jockeys be it male or female are not always at the top of the picking order. Mistakes made in life are our lessons in disguise. And sometimes, the best lessons learned, came from the worst mistakes made. Just my opinion for what that's worth.

Re: The Jockey Thread it really depends on how you define top jockey, for me it's the best of the best which at this moment in time includes Moore, Buick and Murtagh. I could include another 2 or 3, but any list which has much more is not within my definition of top jockey. Queally is almost there, he needs to prove himself in the big races.( yes I know he rode Frankel but so could of any of the top 10 jockeys too with the same results) Let's not have any posts including MJ Murphy or Connor King as contenders for top jockeys.

Re: The Jockey Thread The top jockeys are top jockies for a reason. Their judgement and strength. The reason jockeys go for the inside a lot of the time and look for a gap is they have no brains. A lot of them love playing jockey and try to win a neck instead of making sure. Thats why they lose more than they win

Re: The Jockey Thread Never been much of a fan BUT jockey Danny Tudhope rode a class race in the 3:40 at Haydock Park. He was boxed in but never once showed any signs of panic, he always knew he had the best horse in the race under him, once the field past him he then switched down the wide outside and past the lot of them with a WooooooSh, Top Class ride. http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/results/08-08-2013/haydock-park/result/576292/pickavance-handicap

Shame they had already handed out the price for best ride of the day at Ascot ''BEFORE'' the last race' date=' as the best ride on the card was by Gary Stevens in the last.[/quote'] Best jockey I have ever seen ride in this country. I was mightily impressed when he first came here , having mostly raced in the States where the courses are round and flat. He was able to instantly adapt to the different types of British course which as we all know have their own characteristics, shapes and sizes. His ability to win so many races with no experience of this country is a reason why I consider him the best jockey in recent years. In todays final race , what a fantastic ride , last to first in a sprint !! It might be the last time we see him ride in this country , hopefully not.

I agree, what a ride. One of the best I have ever seen actually. The horse looked 1000 to finish 3rd at one stage, never mind win the race.
For any familiar jockey like Moore , Holland or Spencer it would be a great ride , however Stevens doesn't know the course ( much ) , doesn't know the horse or the oposition , or the trainer , plus he's 50. Thats what made it a top ride.

James Sullivan ought to be ashamed of the ride he just gave Fazza in that 3.30. Really do wonder what goes through these jockeys head sometimes.
Mmmm he got into some trouble, he was trying to get down the rail but the door got shut, think he meant well.

Mmmm he got into some trouble' date=' he was trying to get down the rail but the door got shut, think he meant well.[/quote'] Why go down the rail in a 15 runner field when you're sitting practically last on the home bend? Why take a route where you're going to need a hell of a lot of luck to pull it off? He's deliberately tracked across from wide out to go down the rail for some unknown reason. He was drawn 11, just sit tight then come down the centre, like those who finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th did. Not saying he would have won, but he would have been challenging for the places. Just pure stupidity, it made no logical sense to do what he did.

Why go down the rail in a 15 runner field when you're sitting practically last on the home bend? Why take a route where you're going to need a hell of a lot of luck to pull it off? He's deliberately tracked across from wide out to go down the rail for some unknown reason. He was drawn 11, just sit tight then come down the centre, like those who finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th did. Not saying he would have won, but he would have been challenging for the places. Just pure stupidity, it made no logical sense to do what he did.
Yeh understand what your saying, don't think he'd have won taking the outside route fella, as you say might have been a lot closer, just one of they things, stick it aside for another day. Cruel game at times man.

Never been much of a fan BUT jockey Danny Tudhope rode a class race in the 3:40 at Haydock Park. He was boxed in but never once showed any signs of panic, he always knew he had the best horse in the race under him, once the field past him he then switched down the wide outside and past the lot of them with a WooooooSh, Top Class ride. http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/results/08-08-2013/haydock-park/result/576292/pickavance-handicap
​Runs again at York - Friday 23rd, if you want it you'll find it, nice horse.

Re: The Jockey Thread Strange Godolphin booking in the 20.10 handicap at Kempton on the All-weather this evening with Paul Hanagan taking the ride on Ehtedaam with both the 2 top Godolphin Jockeys De Sousa and Barzalona both available. I know De Sousa had shocker on this last time at York and Hanagan has ridden for the previous owners of this horse as retained jockey but surely Barzelona would take the ride if De Sousa has been jocked off? Hanagan also picks up a Godolphin ride in 19.10. Is De Sousa on his way out of Godolphin and maybe swapping jobs with Hanagan? Any one know anything about this?

Re: The Jockey Thread Both horses are owned by Hamdan al Maktoum. The cream of his horses go to Godolphin where they race under that banner, from time to time when Godolphin horses decline and don't meet the standard they go back to their original owners / trainers. An example is Albarahin, H.al.M. to Godolphin back to H.al.M. It is the same for Sheikh Ahmed (yellow colours) and Sheikh Mohammed's son ( green with red cap) and other Maktoum associates.

Re: The Jockey Thread Another thing of interest is that I think NH trainer John Ferguson, is the NH division of Godolphin. I am not completely sure but I do there was a John Ferguson who was Sheikh Mohammed's bloodstock agent for approx 2 decades. Virtually all Bloomfields (the name which his horses run under) horses are ex Darley stock ( Godolphin / Maktoum associates ). A lot of them are rated high enough on the flat that if they were trained by other stables, they'd be stable stars. Earlier this month a Bloomfields horse races 3 times in NH races then got transfered back to Mark Johnston in the familiar green and red cap. Can anyone confirm this?

Re: The Jockey Thread Good to see James Doyle getting some recognition. I always find it a bit odd though when an owner/breeder has a retained jockey rather than a trainer. It will also probably mean jockeys like Buick and Queally will miss out on decent rides but it will give Doyle a chance to propel himself to another level. I know there have been a few punters on here that have thought a lot about Doyle for a while. It's also good to see Declan Cannon with a few winners lately. Anyone any idea where he has been for so long? I mentioned him on P1 of this thread and he was a 5lb claimer, still claims 3lb but seems to have been off for ages.