** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The Jockey Thread

Re: The Jockey Thread Do stable jockeys actually get the choice of what horse they would prefer to ride if the yard has more than one or is the final say with the trainer? I think it's the latter. For instance, how often does Joseph O'brien gets beaten on short odds by a longer odds Heffernan ride? Or how about a Hughes shortie beaten with a strong Dane O'neill ride? Ok, it may not be an everyday occurance but I've thought for a while now that trainers may use a second string jockey on the better horse which in turns affects the market giving a more generous price in many cases.

Re: The Jockey Thread

Do stable jockeys actually get the choice of what horse they would prefer to ride if the yard has more than one or is the final say with the trainer? I think it's the latter. For instance' date=' how often does Joseph O'brien gets beaten on short odds by a longer odds Heffernan ride? Or how about a Hughes shortie beaten with a strong Dane O'neill ride? Ok, it may not be an everyday occurance but I've thought for a while now that trainers may use a second string jockey on the better horse which in turns affects the market giving a more generous price in many cases.[/quote'] I think your right in the main,,,it also comes down to how a certain horse will react with a jockey...some jockeys are all whip..that may turn a horse off, and vice versa...The Trainer is the boss, and with owners the buck stops with him..so far as owners are concerned.

Do stable jockeys actually get the choice of what horse they would prefer to ride if the yard has more than one or is the final say with the trainer? I think it's the latter. For instance' date=' how often does Joseph O'brien gets beaten on short odds by a longer odds Heffernan ride? Or how about a Hughes shortie beaten with a strong Dane O'neill ride? Ok, it may not be an everyday occurance but I've thought for a while now that trainers may use a second string jockey on the better horse which in turns affects the market giving a more generous price in many cases.[/quote'] Ive always thought along those lines jay the trainer has to keep the 2nd string jock happy by getting him some winners! When a trainer throws a decent claimer on top of a 2nd or 3rd string horse in a big handicap it often goes well at a big price.

I'm admittantly bringing this up because I backed the horse but i think Paul Moloney's had abit of a shocker there in the 4.45. I only caught about the last mile of the race but De Faoithesdream looked to be absolutely cruising to victory, he clearly idled out in front down the straight but despite taking plenty of looks over his shoulder to see that the eventual winner was staying on, Moloney was slow to react and Richard Johnson took advantage. Was well backed that one aswell so bet there's some unhappy connections!

Re: The Jockey Thread I think Doyle had a poor night all round, I think I counted two or three races in a row where you thought he would have learnt that you cannot track the leader at Windsor if they are on the rail as if you're waiting for the gap to appear you'll be waiting all day. It took him to the 1 1/2 furlong pole each time to figure this out and then wasted any momentum the horses had by furiously trying to switch over to the outside. On an other thread I posted about the stat's I am keeping at the moment regarding who I consider to be the top jocks in the country, a list which includes Doyle. This covers all horses where the horse the jockey is riding has at least 1 selection on the RP website for about the last 3-4 weeks. Doyle has the worst strike rate, 3/27 (11%), and one of those was Al Kazeem.

Re: The Jockey Thread Thursdays Listed 1m6f race at leopardstown was a bit of a farce, last year's Irish St Ledger winner Royal Diamond was allowed a 20 length lead and ended up winning with ease, pretty inept of the other jockeys to let the winner get so far in front. I'm don't really follow Irish racing, but to me it happens with a bit of regularity.

Thursdays Listed 1m6f race at leopardstown was a bit of a farce, last year's Irish St Ledger winner Royal Diamond was allowed a 20 length lead and ended up winning with ease, pretty inept of the other jockeys to let the winner get so far in front. I'm don't really follow Irish racing, but to me it happens with a bit of regularity.
Constant...In flat graded races m8...I pointed out a couple of weeks ago(before n after the race)..a 4 horse G3 race..3 from Coolmore..and 1 complete rag....the 2nd fav from Coolmore that was still an entire...had not won a Group race out the 3 of them....the 4/9 shot(jo'b), started very slow, lost 8 lens..never put in the race,,the othere 2 was like watching a breeze up gallop...Neddless to say the right 1 won,,,and well backed...Come Racing Eh!:rollin

Re: The Jockey Thread Couple of days ago now but did anyone see Harry Bentley's ride on Aquilonius at Lingfield? Horse was untried over the 2m and there was stamina questions. Led strongly and was around 15l clear 6f out, he slowed him down before picking up again approaching the line and won comfortably. Very well judged ride.

Re: The Jockey Thread If there is ever a Jockey on the down turn over the last few years..It has to be TED DURCAN...his stats are now struggling to hit 10%, for a once very good jockey...Seen him in a couple tonight..woefull, well and truly a jockey to dodge IMO.

If there is ever a Jockey on the down turn over the last few years..It has to be TED DURCAN...his stats are now struggling to hit 10%' date=' for a once very good jockey...Seen him in a couple tonight..woefull, well and truly a jockey to dodge IMO.[/quote'] See above mate, already made my feelings made on Durcan! Jim Crowley also riding poorly at the moment according to my little system (top jockeys in uk, all rides with one selection in RP). Adam Kirby riding very well at the moment, seems too be a jockey always thinking how he can get the best out of a horse : 7.45 Lin King Torus (won ridden from the front), 8.45 Lin Chrissycross (came from the back all the way around the outside for a place on a 9/1 shot).

Re: The Jockey Thread The more i watch the Irish Oaks the more i ask myself WTF was Tom Queally doing / thinking about, he seems to have got into a battle with the very overrated ''i only ride for my Daddy'' J.O'Brien. In high prize races like this and many many others i keep wondering...........How many races are won making the running ? and how many are won by the CLEVER Pro jockey that bides his time ''STALKING'' then picks off the so called Pro's when it really matters - and wins. Hats off to Johnny Murtagh, Queally and O'Brien need a reality check, never been and never will be a fan of both of them, Frankel made Queally look good, but then again, Mike Tyson could have jumped on Frankel and would have been made to look good too. Hefferman & Murtagh read the race like two Pro's and finished 1st & 2nd, when it comes to winning a race via a BATTLE - J.O'Brien will never cut the mustard, he's weak, the Fallon's & Kirby's and Moore's in a driving ''​I WANT THIS RACE FINISH'' would simply p1ss all over him.

If there is ever a Jockey on the down turn over the last few years..It has to be TED DURCAN...his stats are now struggling to hit 10%' date=' for a once very good jockey...Seen him in a couple tonight..woefull, well and truly a jockey to dodge IMO.[/quote'] Yipp - DURCAN is wetter than a w@ankers rag, he's shocking!!!!! If i was an owner id not have him mucking out, let alone ride my horse.

The more i watch the Irish Oaks the more i ask myself WTF was Tom Queally doing / thinking about' date=' he seems to have got into a battle with the very overrated [i']''i only ride for my Daddy'' J.O'Brien. In high prize races like this and many many others i keep wondering...........How many races are won making the running ? and how many are won by the CLEVER Pro jockey that bides his time ''STALKING'' then picks off the so called Pro's when it really matters - and wins. Hats off to Johnny Murtagh, Queally and O'Brien need a reality check, never been and never will be a fan of both of them, Frankel made Queally look good, but then again, Mike Tyson could have jumped on Frankel and would have been made to look good too. Hefferman & Murtagh read the race like two Pro's and finished 1st & 2nd, when it comes to winning a race via a BATTLE - J.O'Brien will never cut the mustard, he's weak, the Fallon's & Kirby's and Moore's in a driving ''​I WANT THIS RACE FINISH'' would simply p1ss all over him.
O'Brien - 22/52 (42%) Queally - 8/25 (32%) My system (see above) would say otherwise. Impressive figures from both I'm sure you would agree.

Yipp - DURCAN is wetter than a w@ankers rag, he's shocking!!!!! If i was an owner id not have him mucking out, let alone ride my horse.
:rollin, Heard someone shout at Haydock a few weeks ago...."There goes, dead durcan, someone wake him up"

Re: The Jockey Thread Cracking ride from PJ McDonald yesterday in the 4.55pm at Ripon. He was on Kuantan One, got to the front with 5f left to go and kicked for home. You're watching the race thinking surely he's going to come back to the pack but he kept it up to its work and won really well. Clever ride, caught them all napping.

O'Brien - 22/52 (42%) Queally - 8/25 (32%) My system (see above) would say otherwise. Impressive figures from both I'm sure you would agree.
Even a blind pig can find the odd truffle. The both of them were shocking in the Irish Oaks, they were like two novice riders each wanting the lead, Johnny got it right, he sat back like a true pro and watched them both cut their throats.

Re: The Jockey Thread Did anyone see the ride by Tom Queally in the 8.00 at Kempton last Tuesday? Just pacing through the replays from last week and this ride left me sitting in my chair with the mouth wide open. Amazing stuff! It's one of many really good rides I see from Queally this year. He makes mistakes of course, as he's human, but he really developed into absolute top class in the last two years.

Re: The Jockey Thread agree Roberto, Queally is top class, and intelligent. He is actually one of the most intelligent jockeys on the scene, this guy has a serious education, and people may not think it helps in horse racing, but of course it does. Henry Cecil was no clown, only the most capable jockey would have been allowed to ride Frankel Anyone that thinks Queally is useless, hasn't a clue (sorry Jim).

Re: The Jockey Thread Yep, absolutely. He comes across as a very intelligent and knowledgeable guy, indeed. I like to hear what he has to say in interviews, what isn't the case with many jockey as most of them say all the same. But Queally knows what he's talking about. In terms of riding I suppose the years sitting on Frankel really helped him. Of course, if you have this kind of massive pressure, everyone is watching every little move you make on the horse, then you really learn how to deal with it and how to stay cool and make the right decisions in difficult situations. In my mind he's one of the best judges of pace these days anyway. So often he gets things right - not always of course, but that is the nature of the sport. Also I like to see how cool and calm he stays, even if he gets outpaced early on on a horse. No hard pushing or usage of the stick, rather trying to give the horse a chance to relax and find its stride - as for example in the mentioned ride at Kempton. Top man!

Yep' date=' absolutely. He comes across as a very intelligent and knowledgeable guy, indeed. I like to hear what he has to say in interviews, what isn't the case with many jockey as most of them say all the same. But Queally knows what he's talking about. In terms of riding I suppose the years sitting on Frankel really helped him. Of course, if you have this kind of massive pressure, everyone is watching every little move you make on the horse, then you really learn how to deal with it and how to stay cool and make the right decisions in difficult situations. In my mind he's one of the best judges of pace these days anyway. So often he gets things right - not always of course, but that is the nature of the sport. Also I like to see how cool and calm he stays, even if he gets outpaced early on on a horse. No hard pushing or usage of the stick, rather trying to give the horse a chance to relax and find its stride - as for example in the mentioned ride at Kempton. Top man![/quote'] I remember reading abput the controversy in Ireland where he was an apprentice for Pat Flynn, Tom's father forced him to finish his education and he prevented Tom from riding for a year. He moved on to Aidan O'Brien and won a Group race at the age of 19. Now, at that time, he was never going to make it with Aidan as first stable jockey, so he moved over to the UK and had 59 winners in his first season, and won the apprentice title.. That is some achievement. People keep going on about Frankel making Queally look good... Sorry folks, there was Midday, Twice Over, Fleeting Spirit, Timepiece, Chachamaidee etc before Frankel where Tom won some huge races.

Re: The Jockey Thread I like Young Joseph and Tom Queally, both very good, however both not top class, although Queally is not far off top class. Young Joseph is probably about 5 years away . It won't be long before Queally is in the same league as Moore ,Murtagh, Dettori, Spencer etc...