** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The Jockey Thread

Re: The Jockey Thread Firstly I laid the FAV SPEEDFIEND...only because Yarmouth is the most disgusting course in the country, if you back short ones...The Fav, should have won this..Who does Stephen Donohoe think he is trying to kid here, beaten a length into 4th,,From the start to the finish he was looking to get this beat, Utter disgrace if you backed it...When it goes in a nursery wait till their money is down...and lump on..it wont win next time it will wait for the hcap mark...more than likely..Trash Jockey n Trash Trainer ..HTH

Re: The Jockey Thread 9pm Ireland LEP.....If you ever ever need a reason not to bet on Irish Racing...This should answer all...Just about the biggest set up race you will ever see in your life....What a bag of spanners this was......They will tell you it was straight tho!:rollin:rollin.

Re: The Jockey Thread

9pm Ireland LEP.....If you ever ever need a reason not to bet on Irish Racing...This should answer all...Just about the biggest set up race you will ever see in your life....What a bag of spanners this was......They will tell you it was straight tho!:rollin:rollin.
One of the most ridiculous races I've ever seen, cant believe what I just watched. More inclined to think it was jockey incompetence though rather than some conspiracy theory, the winner was 50/1 and the race was full of apprentice riders. If you were to set up a race, I doubt you would make it so ridiculous and draw so much attention as that.

Seems like the Gr1 winning combo of Doyle and Brittain are no longer as I suspected in May ' date=' he's only had a very tiny amount of rides for Brittain since. Shame for Doyle , he's having a very tough time trying to re establish links .[/quote'] Great to see the return of the Brittain / Doyle combo with a 16/1 winner at his favourite track Yarmouth. Hope more trainers use the services of the Gr1 winning jockey.

One of the most ridiculous races I've ever seen, cant believe what I just watched. More inclined to think it was jockey incompetence though rather than some conspiracy theory, the winner was 50/1 and the race was full of apprentice riders. If you were to set up a race, I doubt you would make it so ridiculous and draw so much attention as that.
An sp of 50/1..I do believe t started out at 150 on course n the shops...a few £10 at that price is enough.....Also you miss the two jollys, at evens and 7/4.....,,,,,,Katie walsh n jane mangan...know all about pace,,they are not that raw m8....NA stunk to high heaven, Come racing eh!

Re: The Jockey Thread [h=1]Toomey seriously hurt in fall[/h] [h=2]Jockey Brian Toomey was on Thursday night suffering from a "life-threatening head injury" in hospital following a heavy fall at Perth.[/h] Toomey, a 3lb claimer, was partnering the Lisa Harrison-trained Solway Dandy in the Book Now For 2014 Perth Festival Conditional Jockeys' Handicap Hurdle when the 11/4 favourite came to grief three flights from home. An air ambulance arrived shortly after the accident, but Toomey was instead transported to Dundee's Ninewells Hospital by road. Speaking shortly before 10pm, a spokesperson for NHS Tayside said Toomey was "suffering from a life-threatening head injury." Toomey is attached to the yard of Kevin Ryan in North Yorkshire and is the boyfriend of the trainer's daughter, Amy. Hambleton Racing have horses with Ryan and tweeted: "Very concerned to hear the news about Brian Toomey this evening, thoughts with him and Amy." above taken from sporting life: Well it brings it all home how much these jockeys put on the line for are entertainment lets pray and hope for Brian Toomey fingers crossed and my thoughts are with you and your loved ones

Re: The Jockey Thread Dreadful ride from up and coming promising young James Doyle in the 130Sandown. Over 10 lengths off the pace, ran into trouble approaching final furlong, beaten a neck. Pythagorian was heavily backed all day, and would win this race hands down if ran under the same circumstances.

Dreadful ride from up and coming promising young James Doyle in the 130Sandown. Over 10 lengths off the pace, ran into trouble approaching final furlong, beaten a neck. Pythagorian was heavily backed all day, and would win this race hands down if ran under the same circumstances.
Have a look at Frankie Dettori on Auction. Possibly the worst ride I have ever seen.

Re: The Jockey Thread Two brilliant contrasting rides from the best jockey in the world right now, Ryan Moore. Last to first on Integral, waited and waited for the gap and then powered away, even revealing after the race the saddle slipped and he almost fell off! And then in the last on Circus Turn, rode the rest of the field to sleep from the front and kept the horse going all the way to the line. Also a mention for Andrea Atzeni who is turning into a fantastic jockey. On the other hand, I can never bring myself to back a horse with Ted Durcan on board, must be one on the weakest jockeys riding. Biographer travelled up on the outside of the field pulling a bus but he was outridden by the brilliant Buick who had been hard at work for at least a furlong longer.

Joseph is good. A long way off Moore though. Ryan doesn't make errors.
All jockeys make errors but they all seem to get highlighted when they're made by either Joseph O'brien or Richard Hughes. I don't look for mistakes during a race but there have been times when I've seen Moore not riding out and he never seems to get any criticism. Sent from my GT-I9100 using PL Forum

Peslier' date=' Soumillion? What about the jockeys who come over from America for the odd ride? There is no way of saying he's the best in the world. He's arguably the best in the country, but Hughes officially currently holds that accolade.[/quote'] Hughes, for me, could never be classed as a true great. Simply because he cocks up in too many races. Looks unbelievable when he wins.. Same applies to Paul Carberry in Ireland, imo has more talent than Ruby and McCoy put together, but doesn't use it.

Re: The Jockey Thread It was just my own opinion, as there is absolutely no way you could prove it. If I owned a Group 1 horse and I had to pick a jockey to ride it I would pick Moore every time. If the horse he is riding has a chance he very rarely lets you down. Hughes is on top at the moment but I don't think he is a jockey you would want in a big race, hence why he only one his first Classic this year.

Peslier' date=' Soumillion? What about the jockeys who come over from America for the odd ride? There is no way of saying he's the best in the world. He's arguably the best in the country, but Hughes officially currently holds that accolade.[/quote'] Being champion jockey doesn't automatically mean you are officially the best, just the fact you have ridden more winners than any other jockey. R Hughes has a cult following on here and some don't like it when some of the members highlight his laziness when beaten and in my opinion R Moore is miles superior. Much the same with Ruby Walsh and AP McCoy, AP is the champ but Walsh is superior in my opinion.

Being champion jockey doesn't automatically mean you are officially the best, just the fact you have ridden more winners than any other jockey. R Hughes has a cult following on here and some don't like it when some of the members highlight his laziness when beaten and in my opinion R Moore is miles superior. Much the same with Ruby Walsh and AP McCoy, AP is the champ but Walsh is superior in my opinion.
Hughes sometimes looks like a one trick pony doesn't he? Hold it up, don't get the gaps and then cruise home out of the places. It's good from a welfare point of view that he won't thrash a horse to grab 3rd place when he knows he can't win but he seems to rely on luck in running a lot, hoping the gaps come. People accuse Spencer of the Hollywood rides but Hughes is as bad and Spencer can win from the front. Some jockeys like Moore seem to have a really good clock in their head and I remember reading about American jockeys being able to ride to the second at home during prep work. The trainer askes them to ride a furlong in a specific time and they can do it to the second, it goes hand in hand with their use of sectional timings yet I wonder if our jockeys could do the same as effectively. I think Moore is the best we have in this country and Aidy has a point with Moore not making mistakes but I'd say he just makes fewer mistakes. He also seems like a jockey that has done his homework, figured out how the race will be run, who will lead, whether to drop his horse in behind the leaders, race prominently, from the back etc. What do the Irish lads (Aidy, Robertob and anyone else from Ireland) think of Pat Smullen? I've been impressed at times when I've seen certain rides for Dermot Weld but I don't see enough of him on a day by day basis on average horses to have a great opinion of him and don't see loads of Irish racing. I was a big fan of Mick Kinane, that fella did know how to ride horses.

Hughes sometimes looks like a one trick pony doesn't he? Hold it up, don't get the gaps and then cruise home out of the places. It's good from a welfare point of view that he won't thrash a horse to grab 3rd place when he knows he can't win but he seems to rely on luck in running a lot, hoping the gaps come. People accuse Spencer of the Hollywood rides but Hughes is as bad and Spencer can win from the front. Some jockeys like Moore seem to have a really good clock in their head and I remember reading about American jockeys being able to ride to the second at home during prep work. The trainer askes them to ride a furlong in a specific time and they can do it to the second, it goes hand in hand with their use of sectional timings yet I wonder if our jockeys could do the same as effectively. I think Moore is the best we have in this country and Aidy has a point with Moore not making mistakes but I'd say he just makes fewer mistakes. He also seems like a jockey that has done his homework, figured out how the race will be run, who will lead, whether to drop his horse in behind the leaders, race prominently, from the back etc. What do the Irish lads (Aidy, Robertob and anyone else from Ireland) think of Pat Smullen? I've been impressed at times when I've seen certain rides for Dermot Weld but I don't see enough of him on a day by day basis on average horses to have a great opinion of him and don't see loads of Irish racing. I was a big fan of Mick Kinane, that fella did know how to ride horses.
The problem with the Irish jocks is we don't see enough of them.. The UK jocks could have 4 or 5 times the amount of rides Smullen has in a season. I was so impressed with Murtagh already this season in the big races, the time to back Smullen is for the Galway Festival. Weld averages 6-10 winners for that festival every single year.

The problem with the Irish jocks is we don't see enough of them.. The UK jocks could have 4 or 5 times the amount of rides Smullen has in a season. I was so impressed with Murtagh already this season in the big races' date=' the time to back Smullen is for the Galway Festival. Weld averages 6-10 winners for that festival every single year.[/quote'] Is there less Irish flat racing than there is jumps racing? There seems to be plenty over the sticks yet fixtures seem more limited on the flat but not sure if that is right or just my perception? How does it compare to racing over here, would it be something like 3 uk fixtures for every Irish fixture?

Re: The Jockey Thread Don't think UK jockeys have 4 to 5 times more rides than their Irish counterparts. Probably 10/20% less, this is probably due to having less meetings but on the plus side there are a lot fewer jockeys. I know very little about Irish racing but agree that P Smullen is very good. Also MJ Kinane is probably one of the best jockeys I've ever seen in my 20 odd years of watching the sport.

Re: The Jockey Thread Well, Smullen is 36 now, and has roughly 8,500 rides. Ryan Moore is 29 and has 9,850 rides. If Smullen stopped riding now, and you added up Moore's rides til he was 36, he would have at least double the amount of rides smullen had.

Re: The Jockey Thread Yes your calculations seen plausible. Don't forget Moore is at the top of the tree and therefore will find it to get a full book of rides especially when there is night evening. Smullen is in the top tier but as we know there are less meetings in Ireland. Moore won't have 4-5 times more rides but about double by the time they reach retirement age.