** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The Jockey Thread

Re: The Jockey Thread I thought James Doyle had a cracking day at Lingfield. Gave Mrs Neat (who can be a tricky horse) an excellent ride and followed up on Mister Green. Also thought Atzeni's ride on Erinjay was very nice timed his run to perfection. (and I was on that one :D)

Re: The Jockey Thread Terrible ride from Harry Skelton on What A Friend in my opinion... 4 fences out he jumped up between Noland and Fair Along when Noland clobbered the fence but decided not to follow through and went back in for cover behind the two of them... Then when Noland jumped the last fence, WAF jumped up beside his left hand side within half a length and had momentum, yet Skelton decided to pull his head and switch him to the right where in my opinion he lost at least a length doing that and he lost the race by a short-head... Bad ride in my opinion but credit to McCoy, great ride by him!!

Re: The Jockey Thread

Terrible ride from Harry Skelton on What A Friend in my opinion... 4 fences out he jumped up between Noland and Fair Along when Noland clobbered the fence but decided not to follow through and went back in for cover behind the two of them... Then when Noland jumped the last fence' date=' WAF jumped up beside his left hand side within half a length and had momentum, yet Skelton decided to pull his head and switch him to the right where in my opinion he lost at least a length doing that and he lost the race by a short-head... Bad ride in my opinion but credit to McCoy, great ride by him!![/quote'] WAF needs at least 20 runner field to perform. Not sure what Harry could have done. Think Fair Along threw the win away with two slow jumps in the home straight.

WAF needs at least 20 runner field to perform. Not sure what Harry could have done. Think Fair Along threw the win away with two slow jumps in the home straight.
I have no issue with the horses performance, WAF should have won that race only for Skeltons decision to switch him after jumping the last, he lost momentum and lost by a short-head...

I have no issue with the horses performance' date=' WAF should have won that race only for Skeltons decision to switch him after jumping the last, he lost momentum and lost by a short-head...[/quote'] He needed to switch his legs, WAF often runs towards that side of the track anyway and is probably stronger on that side. He probably wouldn't have got close if not doing so.

He did looked like winning the Hennessey last season' date=' but he didn't. That's the way he is. Switching him didn't change a thing trust me. He's just not that genuine in a finish.[/quote'] That is fair enough, everyone has a different opinion!! Have a good day Mileni and Lars.. :D

Terrible ride from Harry Skelton on What A Friend in my opinion... 4 fences out he jumped up between Noland and Fair Along when Noland clobbered the fence but decided not to follow through and went back in for cover behind the two of them... Then when Noland jumped the last fence' date=' WAF jumped up beside his left hand side within half a length and had momentum, yet Skelton decided to pull his head and switch him to the right where in my opinion he lost at least a length doing that and he lost the race by a short-head... Bad ride in my opinion but credit to McCoy, great ride by him!![/quote'] Bump Bump... Mr Skelton loses it again... :\ (Celestial Halo) All he needed was one good jump at the last but he made a balls of it.. Yes i know Mille Chief is a much better horse but i really think Celestial should have won that..

Re: The Jockey Thread What A Freind is a hard horse to get right, I was surprised they gave the ride to Skelton or any of the Nicholls youngsters tbh. May be they were looking for someone to ride in both Aon and Gold Cup. What A Freind likes to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory, can't be put in the lead until very late, otherwise he just gives up, also runs in snatches. It was Skelton's first time on the horse and I thought he did fair enough, punters have to make a decision whether the price taken is worth taking a chance on the jockey. Celestial Halo is actually a better horse than Mille Chief (so far), if you go back far enough (his last Wincanton run). Yes, probably would have won without the mistake. Whether you can blame Skelton for the mistake; possibly. However, think we should also credit the jockey for being in the right position coming to the last and rode a polished race up until that point. This was the horses best run of the season and Skelton has done better than other jockeys who've tried this term. I do think you have a fair unwritten point Aidy (if this is what is behind your post): I do think Nicholls has lost races by not employing top jockeys in Ruby / Noel's absence. :ok I wonder if Celestial Halo does not travel these days. I believe I am right in saying he has not run well away from Wincanton since a trip to Ireland. May be something happened on the journey.

What A Freind is a hard horse to get right, I was surprised they gave the ride to Skelton or any of the Nicholls youngsters tbh. May be they were looking for someone to ride in both Aon and Gold Cup. What A Freind likes to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory, can't be put in the lead until very late, otherwise he just gives up, also runs in snatches. It was Skelton's first time on the horse and I thought he did fair enough, punters have to make a decision whether the price taken is worth taking a chance on the jockey. Celestial Halo is actually a better horse than Mille Chief (so far), if you go back far enough (his last Wincanton run). Yes, probably would have won without the mistake. Whether you can blame Skelton for the mistake; possibly. However, think we should also credit the jockey for being in the right position coming to the last and rode a polished race up until that point. This was the horses best run of the season and Skelton has done better than other jockeys who've tried this term. I do think you have a fair unwritten point Aidy (if this is what is behind your post): I do think Nicholls has lost races by not employing top jockeys in Ruby / Noel's absence. :ok I wonder if Celestial Halo does not travel these days. I believe I am right in saying he has not run well away from Wincanton since a trip to Ireland.
Yip that is the main issue. Personally i dont think Skelton has the craft or the brain for the Nicholls horses on the big day, i am surprised Daryl Jacob or McCoy did not ride What A Friend, but who knows, maybe they thought Noland would beat it? Maybe im being over-critical of Skelton but personally i think both What A Friend and Celestial Halo should have been in the winners enclosure!

I think Skelton, Mahon and Schofield are promising jockeys; they just aren't ready for the big time yet.:ok Why doesn't he use Thomas more?
I think Thomas got himself a bad reputation last season with an awful lot of fallers, silly mistakes and carelessness.. But no doubt he is a very good jockey, maybe Nicholls has just lost faith on him and wants someone more reliable? I dont know... I have been extremely impressed by Aiden Coleman the past few weeks, one to keep an eye on in my opinion

Re: The Jockey Thread Didn't really want to start a new thread so i suppose it fits in here..... I just want to ask; how much emphasis you guys put on a jockey - horse relationship? ie. if a jockey is on board a horse for the first time after another has partnered the horse (and won some races) for most other runs would that be a big negative? And do you think a regular jockey is needed for some horses and others can be rode by anyone? EDIT: Reason for asking is that i am completely unsure. I dismissed a selection last week because a jockey was on for the first time then the horse went and won.

Didn't really want to start a new thread so i suppose it fits in here..... I just want to ask; how much emphasis you guys put on a jockey - horse relationship? ie. if a jockey is on board a horse for the first time after another has partnered the horse (and won some races) for most other runs would that be a big negative? And do you think a regular jockey is needed for some horses and others can be rode by anyone? EDIT: Reason for asking is that i am completely unsure. I dismissed a selection last week because a jockey was on for the first time then the horse went and won.
IMO sometimes a new jockey can freshen a horse up, but I do like the jockey to have ridden a horse before. Frankie or Fallon on a horse thats not won can work wonders, just for the feedback they give to owners/trainers for future races, like preferred ground or if they want dropping back or stepping up in trip.

Re: The Jockey Thread I blame Miss C V Hart and Paddy Brennan for costing me winners today. Both 'fell' when in front, seemingly holding the horse back when they had a lot of animal beneath them and not far to go, should've let the reins out and let the horse stride on for the win. [/pocket talking] :wall

Re: The Jockey Thread Yeh good little rider! Another shocker tonight from that Gemma Marshall girl though on Epsom Salts, horse looks ready to win shocking ride exactly same as last week on Sunshine, and this time it was a 6 runner race horrendous riding clearly not very educated on a finish which is worrying!

Noticed Probert had 3 winners from 4 at Lingfield today :clap
I mentioned him in the 1st post on this thread, very good little jockey, seems to fly under the radar a bit and did well at York last year when I was there. Definitely one to keep an eye on when the flat season kicks off. :ok