** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The Jockey Thread

Re: The Jockey Thread I love Tom Scu, but not sure about that ride on I'msingingtheblues. Front two went like mad infront and he followed. When they steadied, he took cover behind Tchico Polos and Somersby. Then when they quickened again he went 2nd and Herecomesthetruth ran out, he pressed and took it up. Traded 1.82 win and 1.02 for place and ended getting beat in 4th. Excellent run by the horse, but bad judgment by Tom imo.

Re: The Jockey Thread

I love Tom Scu' date=' but not sure about that ride on I'msingingtheblues. Front two went like mad infront and he followed. When they steadied, he took cover behind Tchico Polos and Somersby. Then when they quickened again he went 2nd and Herecomesthetruth ran out, he pressed and took it up. Traded 1.82 win and 1.02 for place and ended getting beat in 4th. Excellent run by the horse, but bad judgment by Tom imo.[/quote'] He's shocking, nuff said.

Re: The Jockey Thread Daryl Jackob on Ere Alfie, brilliant ride today. That's how you ride low weight stayer from the front. 2nd fav supposed to need the run. Take A Mile doesn't finish his races. Take it up and run them to the ground. Cracking ride. I knew he will do that and will outstay them. That's why I'll always prefer the NH racing. The jump jockeys are just different breed. Even those, who are just below the so called "top" can be relied upon. Jason Maguire, Graham Lee, Daryl Jackob, Paddy Brennan etc. You can always trust them. Jump jockeys I salute you :D

Re: The Jockey Thread Ian Burns at Southwell today on Hunters Belt, horse seemed to resent the kickback, and they obviously went off too quick too. He held him up quite a way off the pace and wide (on the better sand). He pushed the button for her to go 3f out and she cruised past the tired horses and won easily. Would have traded at a massive price in-running I suspect!

Ian Burns at Southwell today on Hunters Belt' date=' horse seemed to resent the kickback, and they obviously went off too quick too. He held him up quite a way off the pace and wide (on the better sand). He pushed the button for her to go 3f out and she cruised past the tired horses and won easily. Would have traded at a massive price in-running I suspect![/quote'] He even took a pull when he hit the front on the turn for home :rollin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Re: The Jockey Thread Everymanforhimself was thrown in on his best form to be fair but I did my nuts on Silaah and was not best pleased! Despite breaking slowly and pulling hard throughout he really should have put the race to bed. He was on the steel at the 1f pole and Everymanforhimself was in overdrive. Its all right trying to be flash if you are Richard Hughes riding Paco Boy in a group 1, but not some unknown kid riding a horse that has often been run in claimers. It was almost as bad as Chelsea Banks on Green Wadi in an appretince handicap at Lingers last week. Sporting Life said she gave it a tender ride in the finish but that was being remarkably diplomatic.

It was almost as bad as Chelsea Banks on Green Wadi in an appretince handicap at Lingers last week. Sporting Life said she gave it a tender ride in the finish but that was being remarkably diplomatic.
http://www.attheraces.com/form.aspx?id=2380161&ref=cardmain&dte=2010-12-18&refsite=&npl=yes is the link to Green Wadi's form to get the replay. Fancied that tomorrow till it was snowed off. :(

Re: The Jockey Thread Very strange ride on Green Wadi there. Banks gave a similar ride to Turner's Touch at Kempton, a 25/1 shot, held up last, looked to be travelling well turning in but wasn't put in the race at all. The thing with Silaah though in the jockey's defence is that he went for home too soon on the horse at Lingfield and was headed on the post back in November. Probably needs to be delivered late although I admit it didn't look great. The horse isn't exactly willing in a finish though.

You wont see many worse rides than what Michael O'Connell just gave Silaah at Southwell in the 2.05. An absolute shambles' date=' the BHA should be looking into that and handing him a ban.[/quote'] Expect you're talking through your pocket here, as to call for him to be banned for that ride is just ridiculous. As BKI just mentioned, Silaah is pretty reluctant in a finish. He sometimes doesn't get home over 6f on a regular surface so on such a slow track today it might have been a struggle. Silaah was travelling best throughout, but why would he want to push the button when travelling so well? You're implying that if he'd given him the kitchen sink at the furlong pole, he'd have won easily? Can't see that, especially for how little he found at the finish when under pressure. The amount of 2nd's he's had, just proves this point, especially the run BKI mentioned at Lingfield. Jockey didn't do too much wrong. 95% of horses would have won with a similar ride after travelling that well, Silaah isn't one of them.

Re: The Jockey Thread I backed Silaah today, in a single and treble and doubles with Ace of spies and Nightjar. I lost a bit of money but i don't think the jockey is to blame, hes young and inexperienced and when you put your cash down you have to consider this. Everymanforhimself didn't win out of turn and is no donkey. Hes a good horse and won well. Yes the jockey on silaah could of maybe gone for it earlier, but would he of won ? i doubt it. He could of stayed on the bridle and maybe won ? More likely because when he sat and drove the horse stopped but thats inexperience. young and inexperienced, he'll learn. It annoys me when you constantly hear and read people say the jockey is to blame especially when there young and learning. Everybody has to start somewhere and when yuo back claimers and apprentices you have to take this in to consideration.

Expect you're talking through your pocket here, as to call for him to be banned for that ride is just ridiculous. As BKI just mentioned, Silaah is pretty reluctant in a finish. He sometimes doesn't get home over 6f on a regular surface so on such a slow track today it might have been a struggle. Silaah was travelling best throughout, but why would he want to push the button when travelling so well? You're implying that if he'd given him the kitchen sink at the furlong pole, he'd have won easily? Can't see that, especially for how little he found at the finish when under pressure. The amount of 2nd's he's had, just proves this point, especially the run BKI mentioned at Lingfield. Jockey didn't do too much wrong. 95% of horses would have won with a similar ride after travelling that well, Silaah isn't one of them.
I think you are being far too kind on Michael McConnell. It isn't so much that Silaah doesnt get 6f, he does (he actually has winning form over 7f so easily gets 6f at Southwell), and its not that his attitude in a finish is questionable. The reason he often gets so many seconds is because of pace biases in races counting against him. Take, for example, his recent second to Sir Geoffrey. The winner made all and never came back to the field (often the case at Southwell). Those in behind all want marking up for the run. I watched the replays of Silaah when he won at Carlisle in the claimer and he hacked up and was delivered early. He isnt one of those horses that idles in front and literally has to be delivered on the line. If McConnell had got to work earlier he would have easily won today. Like I said to Diamond, I did my nuts on the horse and am obviously angry, I backed the best horse in the race today so am well within my rights to criticise a young kid that needs to learn from todays experience. It was grossly incompetent and not acceptable. Shit happens though, well done to Diamond for finding the winner :ok

Re: The Jockey Thread I've been a lot happier recently Wayne with Phillip Makin taking Callan's old job at Hambleton, though I kind of f'kd up a bit today... I had a tenner e/w treble on Everyman, Nightjar and Jim Bowie as my only bet today. You know what I'm like, I like small stakes for high rewards, I still got a decent enough return but hit the crossbar again. Good to see Makin in that job now, was a bit frustrating this year with their revolving door policy, so looking forward to seeing some consistency for us to follow again.

Re: The Jockey Thread I must admitt its the 1st time Ive read this thread and very interesting what others think of jockeys and had a look through all the post [may have missed hin] Fo me although will be in Dubai now one that as not had a mention is S DE SOUSA If you follow him in HANDICAPS ONLY of 6f up to 2m1f from MAY until the END of the TURF SEASON in CLASS 4 5 AND 6 RACES you cant go far wrong and had 1 of is best seasons ever this past year 239/46wins in those rases and a 46% overall profit and 31/6wins in the 16/1-25/1 bracket no winners above 28/1 [17/0] but 4 placed to give a 10% profit EW. Seems to improve every season but maybe a lot more following him now than in the past which will have a bearing on future prices. Also onl 1 winner from 20 if over 6yrs old and if you did not include them a 56% profit from 219 runs so MAYBE 1 TO FOLLOW THIS COMING TURF SEASON T%M

• 2 weeks later...

You wont see many worse rides than what Michael O'Connell just gave Silaah at Southwell in the 2.05. An absolute shambles' date=' the BHA should be looking into that and handing him a ban.[/quote'] Gave him a cracking ride the past two times... although the other jockeys did give him a bit of a start. Enterprising stuff tonight, mind.

Re: The Jockey Thread He has done his job the last twice yes, but I think he realised he rode a howler in the race i criticised him for. I was at Southwell on New Years day and he noticeably drew upon the whip early then and the horse did responded well - like I said he would in my previous post. He isnt a bridle horse that finds nothing when whipped. I didnt back him today because I felt he had a little to find at the weights but the horse is flattered by the win because allowed the run of the race. That said, it isnt always easy to time the fractions from the front so well done to him today.

• 1 month later...