** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The Jockey Thread

We often get threads discussing certain jockeys that have given a horse a particularly good or bad ride and there is sometimes discussion around jockeys in form, jockeys that do well at certain tracks and ones to follow or ones to avoid. I thought it might be an idea to have a specific thread to discuss jockeys performances and rather than it just be punters slagging off jockeys and talking through their pockets like you may find elsewhere lets try concentrate on the good rides mainly and make a note of up and coming jockeys that look like stars of the future. One to Follow - Declan Cannon I've been to Pontefract today and came away mightily impressed with this young lad. He is a 5lb claimer and if he carries on like he has today he'll have no problem riding out his claim. He had clearly done his homework and studied the Pontefract course, you start to turn left not long after the 2f pole and ideally need to be front rank in a prominent position as the finish is really stiff and uphill and horses often struggle to quicken up that hill and make up ground on those that have already kicked for home. If you have Racing UK or have registered on their site have a look at Declan's rides on Follow The Flag, Sharakti and Tamarind Hill, especially the last two mentioned. He gets his horse to the front and kicks for home round the bend on each of the rides, gets done in a photo on Sharakti after looking like he'd got the win after cheekily kicking early on and then managed to get up for a win on Tamarind Hill, bearing in mind this horse had 1 win from 26 races before today. I was quite unaware of him until today but will keep a close eye on him from now on and see if he goes on from here. Ponty can be a tough track to win at but he showed he is a match for the top jockeys even if he does get to claim 5lb. Bearing in mind it can be hard to come past horses late on at Ponty I feel the late run of Rhyton is worth noting, clearly come on loads from the last run and delievered with a late drive from Richie Mullen for Stoute and kept the horse working up to the line for a photo finish victory. Confident ride and looked as though he had left it too late but that horse will go on to bigger and better races. DAVID PROBERT Saw this young lad land a quick 63-1 double at York on Primo Lady and Hanoverian Baron and was impressed with him on the day. (http://www.racingpost.com/horses/jockey_home.sd?jockey_id=86013) Not in great form of late but has 47 winners on the board so far and 46 second places so not doing too badly. Tylicki was his apprentice rival and although currently out injured he only has 26 winners in 2010 so Probert is doing well considering he has ridden out his claim. Will be interesting to see how he does in some of the lesser contests, he had a poor Ascot and his last winner was on 11th June but too early to write him off, only a matter of time before he starts riding the winners again. RIDE OF THE DAY I would have to put my old hero Kieren Fallon down as ride of the day on Markington. It was last, at the back of the field and the front runners were starting to leave him with a fair bit of ground to make up. Less experienced jockeys might have panicked but he started to get to work on the horse and had it niggled along very early while other jockeys were still to get to work on their mounts. He came past every horse in the field to have a prominent position and kicked on for the win. Kieren Fallon at his best on this horse. I thought Theola was a massive danger as it just cruised up on the bridle and then found absolutely nothing and went backwards. Who are your jockeys in form (quite obviously Ryan Moore) and who are your jockeys to follow at the current time? What do you think of Amy Ryan as an apprentice?

Re: The Jockey Thread Keiren Fox and Declan Cannon are the best apprentices riding at the minute IMO and I expect both to have ridden out there claims very soon. Barry McHugh can't be far off either, he rode a worldie on Just Lille up in Scotland somewhere the other week and seems to have been stuck on 3 lbs for ages. John Fahy also showed plenty of promise before disappearing for a while not noticed him much since. Ryan Powell also caught my eye last season. I read somewhere he was set to go to the US over the winter to gain more experience, so he is another I'm gonna look out for this season, although havent seen him much so far.

Re: The Jockey Thread

Keiren Fox and Declan Cannon are the best apprentices riding at the minute IMO and I expect both to have ridden out there claims very soon. Barry McHugh can't be far off either, he rode a worldie on Just Lille up in Scotland somewhere the other week and seems to have been stuck on 3 lbs for ages. John Fahy also showed plenty of promise before disappearing for a while not noticed him much since. Ryan Powell also caught my eye last season. I read somewhere he was set to go to the US over the winter to gain more experience, so he is another I'm gonna look out for this season, although havent seen him much so far.
Forgot about Kieren Fox, he was on Christopher Wren for me the other week wasn't he? Cheeky little bugger was looking over his shoulder as he eased it down that day to win comfortably. What is your opinion on the great man Jamie Spencer these days? I noticed you backing a few of his and also noticed him ride a few cheeky winners from the front. Who said he was a one trick pony? ;)

Re: The Jockey Thread yeah, fox was on that one. he first came to my attention when winning on scamperdale at 33/1 at wolves. He gave it a dream hold up ride and hacked up on the outsider of the field so ive always looked out for him since. He doesnt get many good rides, but does well with what he does get. He is used by michael attwater quite a bit. Ive warmed to spencer a bit more now. Ive been burnt the last few times when backing him but dont hate him as i did before. He seems to do well for kevin ryan so thats one combo i do look out for. Like you say, he is quite good from the front. so a front running ryan trained runner would be ideal!

Ryan Powell also caught my eye last season. I read somewhere he was set to go to the US over the winter to gain more experience, so he is another I'm gonna look out for this season, although havent seen him much so far.
Ryan Powell has a lot of potential, have backed a couple of his rides and they've done well, mostly for Stan Moore (who has been doing fairly well this season anyway). Decent value for his claim, but hopefully won't wear it out too much, still think he's a bit weird in his "drive" and it doesn't look as fluid as I think it should. Still got a long way to go, mind! A couple of others I like, apart from the ones mentioned are Adam Beschizza, who claims 7lbs. Only 17 or something and has had some big priced winners. Seems pretty strong in a finish and at 17, can only get stronger. Seems to have been getting a few more rides for different trainers, which can be only be a positive experience. There was also a very good ride at Beverley last week, from a certain Shane B Kelly, who was also claiming 7lbs. Gave Bollin Freddie (?) an excellent front-running ride and didn't go for the whip until the last furlong, obviously knowing he had some horse left under him. Hasn't had many rides as of yet but one definitely to look out for.

• 1 month later...

Re: The Jockey Thread Anyone got any nominations for ride of the week after Goodwood? I didn't see many races but I did see Hughes on Canford Cliffs, I thought he had left it too late but if ever there was a ride timed to perfection it was that one. I love to see hold up horses travelling well on the bridle and then it is like the jockey has pressed turbo and the horse bolts to the front, great jockeyship to deliver a horse on the line like that. :ok Nice to see Fallon banging in the winners, think he had a treble on Friday, a double the other Saturday at York and seems to be getting on some decent horses now too as more trainers seem to be using him. It's also good to see Hanagan leading the race for the jockeys title, Moore was short price/odds on fav for most of the season because of the support from the Stoute stable but Fahey has done really well. I remember seeing Hanagan about 8-10 winners in front and he was still 10-1 to win the title, hesitated on backing him and then regretted it as he kept extending that lead. I have noticed Amy Ryan getting a few winners too, including when riding for her dad, good little jockey isn't she?

Re: The Jockey Thread William Buick on Beachfire by far the best ride this week. Niggled after 1f when missing the break. Such a quirky character. Thought he has zero chance of winning, but he kept asking him and produced him on the outside. To win from so far back is credit to horse and jockey (nothing came from the back this week). I think William did a great job there. Beachfire has a mind on his own and is very lazy, so that's my ride of the week. Other jockeys would have finished tailed off in this situation :ok

Anyone got any nominations for ride of the week after Goodwood? I didn't see many races but I did see Hughes on Canford Cliffs, I thought he had left it too late but if ever there was a ride timed to perfection it was that one. I love to see hold up horses travelling well on the bridle and then it is like the jockey has pressed turbo and the horse bolts to the front, great jockeyship to deliver a horse on the line like that. :ok Nice to see Fallon banging in the winners, think he had a treble on Friday, a double the other Saturday at York and seems to be getting on some decent horses now too as more trainers seem to be using him. It's also good to see Hanagan leading the race for the jockeys title, Moore was short price/odds on fav for most of the season because of the support from the Stoute stable but Fahey has done really well. I remember seeing Hanagan about 8-10 winners in front and he was still 10-1 to win the title, hesitated on backing him and then regretted it as he kept extending that lead. I have noticed Amy Ryan getting a few winners too, including when riding for her dad, good little jockey isn't she?
I was very impressed with Hughsey too Phil, his timing was just perfect, he could come across cockily the way he does it to some but its sublime to watch, like Spencer, with the timing!! Amy Ryan rode a cracker on one the other week, a ride that belied her years. It was aboard Sea Lord for Mark Johnston on 9th July (replay is on the link at the top http://horses.sportinglife.com/Arch_Race_Pup/0,13215,382112,00.html), the commentators likened it to a front running Frankie ride.

William Buick on Beachfire by far the best ride this week. Niggled after 1f when missing the break. Such a quirky character. Thought he has zero chance of winning' date=' but he kept asking him and produced him on the outside. To win from so far back is credit to horse and jockey (nothing came from the back this week). I think William did a great job there. Beachfire has a mind on his own and is very lazy, so that's my ride of the week. Other jockeys would have finished tailed off in this situation :ok[/quote'] I was sick as a parrot watching that one go in. The horse seemed to take a lot of winding up on his previous race so I passed over him in favour of Cumulus Nimbus who I felt was a stronger traveller. My horse took fourth but NRs meant I didnt get a return, and yeah, brilliant from Buick to get Beachfire to win. My favourite winner of the week was Sea Lord in the mile handicap. He was a sitting duck at the front under Royston Ffrench off a big weight as he's won plenty of handicaps of late. Frankie came out of the pack cruising on the Royal Hunt Cup winner Invisible Man but Sea Lord kept pulling out more and showed a great attitude to repel him and win by 3/4l or so.

My favourite winner of the week was Sea Lord in the mile handicap. He was a sitting duck at the front under Royston Ffrench off a big weight as he's won plenty of handicaps of late. Frankie came out of the pack cruising on the Royal Hunt Cup winner Invisible Man but Sea Lord kept pulling out more and showed a great attitude to repel him and win by 3/4l or so.
Invisble Man is a doubtful battler for me. Just didn't want to get past. Think he's done that kinda thing before?

Invisble Man is a doubtful battler for me. Just didn't want to get past. Think he's done that kinda thing before?
Im not sure Milen. I do remember he came sweeping home to mug 22/1 shot St Moritz in the Royal Hunt Cup at Ascot but I will let him off given the Johnston runner gained compensation next time out, for us both and many others I bet.

Im not sure Milen. I do remember he came sweeping home to mug 22/1 shot St Moritz in the Royal Hunt Cup at Ascot but I will let him off given the Johnston runner gained compensation next time out' date=' for us both and many others I bet.[/quote'] Think St Moritz was simply outstayed there and was weakening. 7f seems to suit him better?

Think St Moritz was simply outstayed there and was weakening. 7f seems to suit him better?
Yep, just saw he got beat over 1m today. Definitely 7f horse for me. The way I see it, Invisible Man should have won if running to his Hunt Cup form off just 6lbs higher. So there's a case for him not willing to go past, but it's not just that. That's just one of the things. It's always hard to win 2 big races in a row when we're talking about something further than 5f/6f.

Think St Moritz was simply outstayed there and was weakening. 7f seems to suit him better?
In top class handicap company I reckon 7f is probably his optimum as its so hard to dominate such a large field isnt it. One of the jockeys during Goodwood was commenting on the frenetic pace in some of the early races and said a lot of the jockeys are high on adrenaline and can do so much too soon. I reckon in a noddy event St Moritz would get a mile personally, but he is rated near 100 now I think small field races like that are likely to be off the agenda and he will be competing in valuable races, which always attract big fields.

Re: The Jockey Thread My Fav ride was young Billy Cray in the big handicap yesterday on Even and odds good little jockey who is well worth his claim a good strong ride timed to perfection mind you his trainer ain't to bad is he. Some say stick a pin in these big handicaps to try and find the winner no need just follow dandy he picks them up cheap lays them out for a race if it doesn't win don't panic comes back the following year and wins them nothing lucky about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: The Jockey Thread I wasn't that too concerned about who was on a horse until this week and often felt the jockey was overrated but I have witnessed some awful rides at York and today at Sandown. I was discussing Dettori's ride on Capponi with Billy at York, needs to front run and then be asked to battle to the line. Dettori was drawn wide and was always going to have a tough task to get it over and in front but he got out of the stalls and settled to just tack over to the field and race in about 5th but then when it needed an effort it just shuffled back through the pack and did nothing. I'd have been happier seeing him use up energy to get it across and in front and if it faded away then so be it but to not even have any chance at the 2f to 1f point is hopeless. I was also not too concerned about Dazinski because Durcan has won on it but Fin said he doesn't rate Durcan and Billy had said the same the day before. I still backed it but saw a shocking ride on it. If the horse had a chance and was not good enough I can accept that, not a problem and reconsider backing it again. He had it at the back of the field all the way around but needed to be making some kind of headway approaching the turn for home. He didn't bother, he left it too late and let the front rank horses kick for home first so they had momentum on a galloping track and Dazinski was never going to reel in the front runners, it would have needed wings to pass those horses. All I wanted was for it to be in with a chance turning for home but I already knew it was beaten with the way it was ridden and felt sickened by it. Today I backed Eddie Ahern on Spensley at Sandown, it was a class 4 race and Kieren Fallon had mentioned how Spensley was on a good mark and ready to win next time out. I'd have been more confident had he been on boar but he's in America. Ahern had already ridden one of mine to follow to victory in Native Khan and even then it was the class of the horse that got him out of trouble as he sat behind a wall of horses in a small field waiting for a gap to come. On Spensley the whole field moved away from the rail so they did not get stuck behind horses except for Ahern on Spensley, got stuck in the pack and was never going to find gaps as they all bunched up in the race for the post. Finished about 5th but with a better ride would definitely have placed and possibly won, had absolutely no chance due to how it was ridden. Hughes had the right idea on the winner, stay near the front and out of trouble becuase over 7f you can't build momentum and then have it stopped because there is no route through and end up needing to weave through the field. In a class 4 race you can't really ask a horse for a lightning quick turn of foot, this is not a Group 1 horse like Paco Boy for example. I like hold up horses but really need to be careful with who is on board. I know Spencer gets a lot of stick but he did well on Dirar and also won the last race on Hawk Mountain with a great timed run in the race where Dazinski was nowhere. Have a look at the 3 rides mentioned and see which you think is the worst. :( I am the 1st to give a jockey credit for a good ride but witnessed some horrors this week. On a positive note Kieren Fallon rode really well at York, Dettori was pretty good apart from Capponi and even Frank Spencer did well. Sariska wouldn't run and the John Oxx horse banged its head on the stalls, he got booed in front of the grandstand after that race and I felt a bit sorry for him, not his fault really was it? Philip Robinson was top class on the Jarvis horse yesterday and Queally did well on Midday and also was unlucky on Twice Over. Keep an eye on those 3 horses mentioned because with a half decent jockey on board they are all future winners: Capponi Spensley Dazinski :ok

• 3 weeks later...

Re: The Jockey Thread Before today Kieren Fallon was 11 winners from 28 rides for Mark Johnston, he just fired in a treble for the same trainer today, definitely a combination to keep an eye on lately. He is usually on Cumani's horses but seems to have developed a great partnership with Johnston's horses too. :ok

• 2 weeks later...

Re: The Jockey Thread Have a look at Jamie Spencer's profile on the RP site, hardly one of a poor jockey is it? Youngest ever jockey to win a classic at 17 year old in 1998 (Irish 1000 Guineas) Won that race again in 2002 St Leger winner in 2003 Dual Oaks winner on Sariska Has won the Tattersalls Gold Cup, the Champion Stakes, The St James Palace Stakes, the Coral Eclipse, the Prix de L'Abbaye, the Lockinge, the Ebor twice on Purple Moon and Dirar, and the RP trophy to name just a few of the decent races he has won in. Often eases his mount when beaten rather than whipping the hell out of it and owners/trainers appreciate that. They don't want a horse beaten up when it's fading and they also want to protect handicap marks. We never see any specific threads when a jockey has ridden well but plenty when they have lost or given a horse a poor ride. It's like the manager that never praises you for anything positive but is quick to pull you in the office whenever anything goes wrong.

Re: The Jockey Thread I've red few of these. Should give them a read once again, some new ones added. Richard Hughes: Do you ever read the Betfair forum? No, not at the moment. I will when I retire, though – I'll go on and slag off all the jockeys who ride the losing horses I've backed. Andrew Thornton: What’s the funniest thing that ever happened to you in the course of your career? There have been loads of funny moments but there was one in particular. Me and a group of lads were driving up the M40 on the way to a meeting and saw that old black ford covered in orange writing advertising Blackpool Tower in front of us. We all thought who the hell is that? Once we got level with the ford, we cracked up laughing when we realised Seamus Durack was at the wheel! Turns out he was being sponsored by them for a year but I will definitely remember this for a long time. :lol :lol