Ripon 25th May

2.40 Ripon Highkingofireland ran a promising race last time out but a concern that he needs some cut in the ground is a niggling problem along with another 2lb rise back in weights put me off him slightly. Bid For Glory is clearly not the same horse he was a few years ago BUT is looking potentially dangerous off this mark, last win came off a mark of 90 on AW in 2007, ran some better races on AW over winter before disappointing last start since been given a break and has gone well fresh before. 0.25pt e/w bid for glory 3.40 Ripon Decent prize up for grabs and if Nicholls has got Jack Dawkins fully wound up for his he could be dangerous (he should be as he was trained for thirsks hunt cup but refused to go in stalls), this is his first run for Nicholls and potentially looks his best chance on paper, his last win came over 2f further than this but has won twice over this trip and having gone the wrong way at back end of last year he now looks well handicapped and worth a try over shorter again with fast ground to suit. 0.25pt e/w jack dawkins 16/1 bet365

Re: Ripon 25th May Ripon 3.10 A difficult race to assess, where none of the runners have competed over today's trip of 9 furlongs. There are two horses I like though who look like they may be overpriced. The first is Jupiter Fidius who ran a stinker last time out at Doncaster (30 Apr), but did put in a nice effort the race before at this track (8f Gd 15 Apr 10) finishing a neck behind the useful Eleanora Duse, and 1.5 lengths behind the winner Monterosso. Both of those horses have gone on to more impressive runs, and if that race is a fair representation of this horses ability, I can see it going close today. It's best speed rating was recorded in the race previous to that at Leicester (Gd/Sft Gd pl) back in Oct 09, and it might be my biggest concern that this horse likes a bit of cut in the ground. It's also the top weight. The other I like at a nice price is Vito Volterra who managed to win 3 times out of 6 runs in 2009. Really solid on the clock, with 3 of it's last 6 runs rating 64, and one at 63. Has won on Gd/Sft and Gd/Frm as well as on artificial, so seems capable on all surfaces. Also It's handicap rating is dropped again after a close up 4th (1l) in it's last race. I feel both of these horses could appreciate the step up in trip. I'll also mention Yashrid who makes it's handicap debut and could of been allocated a decent mark. Will include it for RFC and RTC purposes, I've not decided yet whether I'll back it to win. I could make a case for a few of these, particularly Mighty Clarets and Music Of The Moor, but I'm going to stick with the speed ratings, and the 3 top rated. Jupiter Fidius, Vito Volterra, Yashrid 1pt Reverse F/C + 1 pt Reverse T/C = 12pts Win + e/w bets and prices to follow. Ripon 3-10 Handicap (Class 4) 10f Horse Best Lto 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th Jupiter Fidius 73 -- 51 73 46 -- -- Vito Volterra 64 64 (33) (64) (63) (53) 64 Yashrid 60 60 57 (54) -- -- -- Epic 59 41 (36) (32) (41) (47) (40) LTO Speed: Vito Volterra 64 Yashrid 60 Mighty Clarets 53

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.