** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40

I read it somewhere. Telegraph I think. As a Derbyshire fan, can you ask your lot to start winning a few 4 day matches, although not this week ;).
Winning any match would be a start. The game against Holland absolutely pathetic

• 1 month later...

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 2 for me tonight. 3pts Worcestershire to beat Sussex 5/2 Blue Square I'm sort of priced in here because this is a huge price in a two horse race. Although it's a completely different format of the game to the twenty20 there's no doubt Worcestershire finished off the twenty20 matches in better form. Sussex lost 6 of their last 7 matches and did well to be so close to 2nd place in the end. Worcestershire were never serious qualification contenders but at least they restored some confidence and pride. Sussex will be looking for a win to more closer to Surrey and Somerset at the top of this tough group. Michael Yardy will skipper them. Luke Wright and Matt Prior are available but Dwayne Smith is only contracted for the twenty20. Monty Panesar will be hoping for a recall to the side. Worcestershire have their captain Vikram Solanki back in the ranks but will be without an overseas player here as Shakib hasn't arrived just yet. Moeen Ali is the form man for the Royals while with the ball young Chowdhry is making a name for himself and should go well on a turning wicket. Day/night cricket so it's always a bit more of a lottery. This match wouldn't come under my d/n theory as there are permanent lights here but it's something to think about. Worcestershire have no pressure on them as they are as good as out of this so it may free the likes of Solanki and Ali up to take Sussex on. Sussex's confidence might be a bit low so at 5/2 I'll take the Royals here with the price a shade too big. 1pt M.Yardy Top Sussex Batsman 7/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) It's hard to know exactly where in this Sussex lineup Michael Yardy will bat but similar to McKenzie for Hampshire yesterday, I suspect he'll be the glue around which the big hitters play. I would imagine Yardy will bat at 5 but he could easily bat higher. He played a couple of really good one day innings for England in recent weeks and also put in a decent knock in the twenty20's since his return. Smith isn't here anymore so I expect Yardy to come in and although this is a strong Sussex batting lineup I'm not sure it's so strong that Yardy should be 7/1. At the price I'll have a go on the England international to top score for his side this evening.

2 for me tonight. 3pts Worcestershire to beat Sussex 5/2 Blue Square I'm sort of priced in here because this is a huge price in a two horse race. Although it's a completely different format of the game to the twenty20 there's no doubt Worcestershire finished off the twenty20 matches in better form. Sussex lost 6 of their last 7 matches and did well to be so close to 2nd place in the end. Worcestershire were never serious qualification contenders but at least they restored some confidence and pride. Sussex will be looking for a win to more closer to Surrey and Somerset at the top of this tough group. Michael Yardy will skipper them. Luke Wright and Matt Prior are available but Dwayne Smith is only contracted for the twenty20. Monty Panesar will be hoping for a recall to the side. Worcestershire have their captain Vikram Solanki back in the ranks but will be without an overseas player here as Shakib hasn't arrived just yet. Moeen Ali is the form man for the Royals while with the ball young Chowdhry is making a name for himself and should go well on a turning wicket. Day/night cricket so it's always a bit more of a lottery. This match wouldn't come under my d/n theory as there are permanent lights here but it's something to think about. Worcestershire have no pressure on them as they are as good as out of this so it may free the likes of Solanki and Ali up to take Sussex on. Sussex's confidence might be a bit low so at 5/2 I'll take the Royals here with the price a shade too big. 1pt M.Yardy Top Sussex Batsman 7/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) It's hard to know exactly where in this Sussex lineup Michael Yardy will bat but similar to McKenzie for Hampshire yesterday, I suspect he'll be the glue around which the big hitters play. I would imagine Yardy will bat at 5 but he could easily bat higher. He played a couple of really good one day innings for England in recent weeks and also put in a decent knock in the twenty20's since his return. Smith isn't here anymore so I expect Yardy to come in and although this is a strong Sussex batting lineup I'm not sure it's so strong that Yardy should be 7/1. At the price I'll have a go on the England international to top score for his side this evening.
Flipping hell, just seen what Sussex got, not watching it but imagining the boundaries are tiny like the T20 yesterday?

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 Yeah just seen bit of it now. Boundaries don't look too short just been hearing that the Worcestershire bowling was poor like Wanderer said and a lack of quality. Seriously I don't even recognize any of their bowling lineup :eek

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 Half time bet for me. I actually backed Derbyshire before the off at 11/10 but PL was down so I couldn't get it on here. No damage done though. 4pts Derbyshire to beat Gloucestershire 6/5 Bet365 Derbyshire have an excellent chance of winning this match. At half time they have put up 225/8 on a tired, slow, low typical Derby wicket which is offering a fair bit to the bowlers. Derbyshire have as many as 4 spin options and that looks favourable for them as Richard Dawson was Gloucester's best bowler and kept things tight. Alex Gidman, the Gloucestershire captain absolutely slaughtered his team in the media after their defeat to Surrey in the twenty20 at the weekend so confidence may well be low in their side. Derbyshire's strength is putting a score up and then defending it with their spin and medium pace bowling options. I think 225 is a very good score on this wicket and will take the Falcons to defend it under the lights.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 I don't know what I've done to deserve some of the luck I'm getting recently. Pissing down with rain with the scores tied on D/L and a wicket just fallen. The umpires let the new batsman walk out, face one ball, get the 2 they need to win then go in and it's abandoned :wall:wall:wall:wall:wall. Joke :puke. +2.30 now.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 There's a full round of fixtures about to start today but I wasn't around last night or this morning to look into it. Given the focus of many will be on the upcoming twenty20 quarter finals tomorrow and Tuesday it's probably not a bad round of matches to miss.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 2 for me tonight. Missed the juicier prices on a Sussex win but I'm on them to win this group which kinda goes hand in hand so no biggie. 4pts Lancashire vs Sussex - Under 5.5 6's 5/6 William Hill There's been 4 CB40 matches at Lancashire this season and only the Glamorgan one on the opening weekend of the tournament has seen anywhere near this total. Other than that the highest is just 4 6's. That's not a complete surprise given the size of the boundaries at Old Trafford. As well as the size of the ground we also have to factor in that Lancashire's strength is in their bowling attack and Sussex's bowling attack isn't weak by any means. Lancashire's biggest hitter is arguably Stephen Moore but he's out for the season with the shoulder he dislocated at Chelmsford last week. Of the other Lancashire batsmen, those who look to and are capable of long innings - Smith, Horton and Chanderpaul, none of them are big hitters. There's no Dwayne Smith for Sussex these days and Matt Prior is with England. Ed Joyce at the top of the order isn't a big hitter so it's literally Nash and Wright that can scupper us. I don't see it happening though so I'm happy to be on the unders in this one. 0.5pts ew S.Mahmood Top Lancashire Batsman 33/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Sajid Mahmood isn't a top order batsman but he showed in the twenty20 quarter final at Chelmsford last week that he's more than capable of hitting a long ball. I'm not suggesting he's going to bat at 5 again tonight but if Lancashire feel they are behind the rate or look to take advantage of a powerplay then Mahmood could easily be shoved up the order. This is a relatively young Lancashire batting lineup this afternoon with the Championship being their main priority and if the likes of Chanderpaul and Smith do fail then Mahmood could easily get enough time to top score. If not he's still a decent price for a place so at 33/1 I'll chance that everything fits in for Mahmood to have a decent crack tonight.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 The 6's weren't in any doubt and although I got what I wanted out of Sajid Mahmood's position in the batting lineup, he got picked off by the spinner so no joy there. +2.33 though so up to +4.63 overall.

Wednesday 4 August 2010 Home Away BPP
maximize.gif Surrey v Glamorgan (15:40 BST) 1.53 2.8 100.93 %
Note the hour early start time.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 Ok so to The Oval for what should be a decent enough game of creekit. 2 for me. 5pts Surrey Highest 1st 8 Overs 4/5 Skybet This looks a huge price even with the tie included. Surrey are going to open their batting with two of the most aggressive openers in county cricket in Steven Davies and their captain Rory Hamilton-Brown. Both are very quick scorers and against a Glamorgan new ball attack which won't contain James Harris I would expect the Surrey openers to get off to a fast start. To be fair Glamorgan counter that with Mark Cosgrove although Jim Allenby isn't in the squad today but one thing I noticed about Mark Cosgrove is that even though he scores big and pretty quickly by the end of his innings, he scores slowly while he's getting going with lots of dabs and touches to 3rd man. In an 8 over bet I'm happy that he'll be taking at least half of them to get going. Then of course he's batting with a new opening partner which could also cause problems. Surrey will fire Chris Tremlett and Andre Nel, if he's fit, at the Glamorgan openers and they won't be easy to get away. I've stuck to the 8 overs here rather than the 15 because Glamorgan have a lot of spin options who could come on after the mandatory 8 over powerplay. 1st 8 overs though I would expect Surrey to dominate and bring this in nicely. 1pt R.Croft Top Glamorgan Batsman 12/1 Ladbrokes Last time Glamorgan played a 40 over match, against Sussex a week or so ago, Robert Croft opened the batting. There was no Mark Cosgrove on that day but for some reason I've not been able to find out there's no Jim Allenby tonight so there's an opening berth to be filled again tonight. Logic would suggest Croftie is 1st to fill that role. He only scored a run a ball 19 but with Cosgrove likely to be the main scorer at the other end, Croft can sit in tonight and look to bat a longer period of time. There isn't much ew value around in this Glamorgan lineup tonight but Croft has opened the innings plenty of times in the past and top scored so although I don't like win only top bats at a double figure price with a strong chance of him opening I'll take Croft to bat a few overs and set a decent target for the rest to try and chase.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 Tricky match to call this. In theory there's nothing to suggest Northants can't win other than their record in this competition. Middlesex under Dexter don't impress me at all and if this was a true day/night game in every sense of the word rather than a day/twilight game then I'd probably take Northants at the odds. No serious bias in the batting lineups to take an overs bet like yesterday so I'll try a small bet on the 6's. 3pts Middlesex vs Northants - Over 5.5 6's Evs Skybet Usually I wouldn't take a 2nd look at the overs in a one day match at Lords but I think there's some mileage in it here. We're just under 3 weeks until the Lords test match so I'll take a chance we're away from the middle of the square tonight, the test match wicket is usually in the middle for camera purposes. Also in the ODI here with Australia I recall the boundaries coming in quite a lot and that was the case in the 3 twenty20 matches I went to at Lords so that could well happen again. Both sides have players who can hit a long ball. If Owais Shah gets in he can splatter it and likewise David Sales or a Rob White for the Steelbacks. Elton Chigumbura hits 6's too if he gets in. Dexter and Berg are no slouches when it comes to 6 hitting. Neither bowling attack has much to write home about so there's nothing stopping 6's being hit. Usually we don't see many 6's at Lords but there's enough factors to allow me to believe we could see a few tonight so I'll have a small punt on the overs here.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 Great call - put a 2 point bet on following your write up, flicked the telly on to hear nick knights pitch report and the ridiculously short boundary and raised my bet to a ten point bet. Will hills had shortened to 8/11 though but free money I think! Cheers Mate

Sunday 8 August 2010 Home Away BPP
maximize.gif Hampshire v Durham (12:45 BST) 1.8 2.1 103.17 %
maximize.gif Glamorgan v Lancashire (13:00 BST) 2.42 1.66 101.32 %
maximize.gif Derbyshire v Yorkshire (13:45 BST) 2.5 1.62 101.73 %
maximize.gif Essex v Northamptonshire (13:45 BST) 1.61 2.66 99.50 %
maximize.gif Gloucestershire v Middlesex (13:45 BST) 1.75 2.2 102.60 %
maximize.gif Kent v Leicestershire (13:45 BST) 1.72 2.3 101.37 %
maximize.gif Nottinghamshire v Scotland (13:45 BST) 1.11 8 102.50 %
maximize.gif Surrey v Sussex (13:45 BST) 2.1 1.9 100.00 %
maximize.gif Unicorns v Somerset (13:45 BST) 6 1.17 102.14 %

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 2 for me tomorrow. 4pts Gloucestershire to beat Middlesex 4/5 VC This is a fairly important match in Group B. Gloucestershire, after their win over leaders Yorkshire last time out, have an excellent change of progressing to the semi finals. Middlesex's defeat to Northants on Thursday night pretty much ended their campaign in this years CB40 but I guess if they win out from here the top 2nd place could be theirs. Although cricket doesn't follow straight form lines, Yorkshire beat Middlesex a couple of weeks ago while Gloucestershire beat Yorkshire last time out. Gloucestershire have named a very strong side for this match. William Porterfield is in sensational nick with the bat at the minute and the likes of Gidman, Marshall and Taylor all have good one day run scoring abilities in them. Steve Kirby returns to the side for this one and he, Jon Lewis and Anthony Ireland all contribute to a solid pace attack. Richard Dawson's spin could be key on a Cheltenham wicket. Middlesex have named the same squad which played Northants and it's hard to see where they can improve their side. I would imagine the same 11 would take to the field with Newman and Simpson opening again and so much riding on Owais Shah and Dawid Malan with the bat. Pedro Collins was crap with the ball the other night and Dexter will hope his West Indian paceman goes better in this one. Tim Murtagh will continue to back him up. Middlesex were woeful the other night and as I say, I don't see what changes they can make to their side. One day success for Gloucestershire is no surprise, particularly under John Bracewell and I think the Gladiators, on a wicket they've just played a 4 day game on which could be crucial, can prevail here. 3pts Kent to beat Leicestershire 8/11 Paddy Power In truth neither of these sides are likely to make it through to the knockout stages of this competition but Kent are continuing to play a full strength squad which could be key here. Leicestershire haven't enjoyed the best of season's in one day cricket and it's hard to see that continuing here. Kent's season has been decimated by injuries but when they've been fully fit they've generally played ok. Kent's captain Rob Key is back in their side after he damaged a hand a month or so ago. Joe Denly, van Jaarsveld and Geraint Jones are all in tip top form with the bat while Darren Stevens remains in the form of his life. This Canterbury wicket tends to turn a lot these days and so Tredwell and Bandara will be tough to face as will Mahmood and Cook with their cutters. Amjad Khan could complete the bowling attack. Leicestershire will be without Andrew McDonald who has been ruled out of the rest of the season with a shoulder injury. Jacques du Toit could open the innings with James Benning. Taylor, Nixon and New are in decent nick with the bat. Hoggard will open up with the ball and if this wicket does turn then Claude Henderson will be key. Nadeem Malik and Nathan Buck look set to complete the Foxes seam attack. Kent on their day are one of the best one day sides in the country. As I said above, generally when they are at full strength they play well and signs are they might just be getting over the loss of Ryan McLaren with Darren Stevens stepping up into his shoes. Leicestershire are fairly limited at 40 over level and with Kent having home advantage and two international spinners in their side I'm on the Spitfires here.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 Doesn't matter how! Kent won pretty easily by 8 wickets..... Checked the Gloucs. Score and they needed 37 off 18... With 2 new batsman at the crease... To be honest I'd given that one up, only to see they won it! 2 excellent efforts Kev! :notworthy

Doesn't matter how! Kent won pretty easily by 8 wickets..... Checked the Gloucs. Score and they needed 37 off 18... With 2 new batsman at the crease... To be honest I'd given that one up' date=' only to see they won it! 2 excellent efforts Kev! :notworthy[/quote'] Cheers mate. Gloucestershire needed 18 off the last over. Luckily for us Lewis was on form. 2 2 4 6 6 was more than enough :ok. +5.39 for the day and +16.02 overall now.