** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 Just one for me. Might have to dodge a few showers in the TV game so I'll just stick to the match itself. 3pts Sussex to beat Somerset 11/10 Extrabet Both these sides have perfect 3 from 3 records in Group A so as they say in boxing - someone's 0 has to go. Both sides are missing key personnel for this match but that hasn't restricted them in the tournament thus far. The winners of this game will go a long way towards winning this group although there is still a long way to go. Somerset will be without Craig Kieswetter who is preparing for the world twenty20 final and they have a fitness doubt over Alfonso Thomas which is why Damien Wright is still in their squad and not Murali Kartik. Jos Buttler, the reserve keeper, hit a ton in the Championship game in the week in a Somerset side who are in decent nick. Sussex are without Luke Wright and Michael Yardy who are also in the Caribbean. Ed Joyce is recovering from injury as well. Matt Prior is playing county cricket at the minute though and that's a big boost. Murray Goodwin will skipper the side and his runs will be a boost. Rana Naved, Kirtley and Martin-Jenkins are in great touch with the ball while Monty's eager to catch the selectors eyes having been called up to the Lions squad. Sussex are the best 40 over side in the country and although they are missing a couple they still have sufficient back up for them. Somerset will always be top heavy with the bat but a lot revolves around Charl Willoughby with the ball. If he goes well Somerset restrict their opponents. If he doesn't they don't. Having won the last 2 Pro40's I don't think Sussex deserve to be odds on to anyone so at 11/10 I'll take the Sharks to go 4 from 4 today.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 No joy for me yesterday after Hildreth's stunning knock. Back to +7. All the games today have to shower dodge and I wasn't around last night to look into the matches so nothing for me today unless the TV game gives up a bet in play.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 2 for me tonight 3pts Glamorgan to beat Surrey 11/8 Blue Square These sides have begun the CB40 league in totally differing ways. Glamorgan, a point behind the rest when it started have stuttered so far while Surrey are unbeaten with good wins over Lancashire and Worcestershire. Both sides miss key personnel for this match which is the 1st game under the lights at Sophia Gardens this season. Glamorgan will be without opening bowler James Harris who was on England Lions duty this week. Owen, Ashling and Harrison could well form the pace attack with Cosker and Dalrymple key spin ingredients. Mark Cosgrove and Jim Allenby get the Dragons off to a good start ahead of the youthful but talented middle order. Surrey will be without Steven Davies and Iftikhar Rao who have both played key roles in their wins so far. Davies has half centuries in both matches while Rao was taking wickets. Gary Wilson will take Davies' place. Dernbach, Tremlett and Nel could make up the pace attack while Gareth Batty is a solid spin option. Surrey look slightly light with the bat in Davies absence even with Ramprakash in their side. Glamorgan are a decent outfit at home and I think they'll win this. Surrey are missing a massive cog to their unit in Davies while Harris' absence isn't such a loss to Glamorgan in terms of covering personnel. It's a day night match which automatically make's Glamorgan favourites given the 50/50 nature of day night cricket in this country so it's the Dragons for me. 3pts M.Cosgrove to beat M.Ramprakash Evs Bet365 It's always dangerous taking on the run machine that is Mark Ramprakash but as Meatman said to me on MSN in a way I couldn't put it better, one day cricket isn't his game. It most definitely is Cosgrove's. He's a hard hitting Australian batsman. Technically sound and bang in the runs in CB cricket this season. He's hit 3 50's with a top score of 86 and is scoring at a strike rate of 120. Ramprakash is yet to go past 25 which is a surprise but equally measures how his game is more suited to first class cricket. Cosgrove will open for the Dragons which is a further boost and based on their seasons so far I'm taking the Aussie to win this match bet.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40

Totally agree with Glammy they look like a totally different side this season so far. Anything to say about the 6's line Kev?
Looks low but I expect the ball to swing in the humid conditions. Happy to leave it this time.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 Still +7 for this competition. Warwickshire vs Hampshire is the TV game tomorrow and I'm off to Edgbaston to watch it. It's where my betting interest lies too. I'm going with 3. 3pts Hampshire to beat Warwickshire 13/8 William Hill Given how Hampshire were among the ante-post favourites for this tournament we've been written off pretty quickly here. Hampshire have lost every match so far in this competition and are desperate for a win to kick start their campaign but they come in here having toppled the Championship league leaders in the week so confidence will be good. Warwickshire have a perfect record in this competition and thrashed Hampshire when the two sides met at the Rose Bowl 8 days ago. I'm not quite sure if Warwickshire will have Chris Woakes back or not. He was on Lions duty but the match finished early so I suspect they will and have factored him in accordingly. Bell and Trott remain the key pins in a batting lineup which came under fire from their captain in midweek. Imran Tahir as ever will be a big danger with the ball as will the left arm seam of Neil Carter. Anyone who has read the writeup's for the 3 games I've opposed the Royals this season will know I've done it partly because we've been without Michael Lumb. He makes his season debut in this match and he and Jimmy Adams have a sensational record at the top of the order for Hampshire. Neil McKenzie is in a rich vein of form at the minute while Sean Ervine's arguably in the form of his life. There will be a young attack out but James Tomlinson could benefit from the humid conditions with some swing while Herath and Dawson will bowl tidy spin. Hampshire have been without Lumb and Mascarenhas all season and it's showed. Having Lumb back is a massive boost. Confidence for the sides could have gone in opposite directions this week. Warwickshire were rolled over here for 100 and loose change with only Neil Carter making double figures while Hampshire have beaten one league leader and will hope to make it a double of beaten league leaders here. Hampshire won the 50 over comp last year so it must be remembered that they are a good one day side and while nobody can argue the Bears aren't too, I feel 13/8 offers sufficient value to back Pothas' charges here. 3pts D.Maddy's Performance Pts - 38&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Darren Maddy scored 56pts in the match at the Rose Bowl recently and that's despite only facing 4 balls with the bat due to a big partnership between Bell and Trott. He should get more batting in this match to score sufficiently more runs but even if he doesn't he scored 50pts in the field in the reverse match. His nagging, accurate medium pace seamers can be hard to get away and he can pick up a couple of free wickets which batsmen looking to attack him and failing. He fields at slip too and is a very solid one day batsman so with 3 genuine scoring methods I'm on the overs here. 1pt ew N.McKenzie Top Hampshire Batsman 5/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) South African batsman Neil McKenzie struggled to begin with in his Hampshire career but recently he's come alive, to the pleasure of the Hampshire faithful. He top scored when these two met in the reverse fixture which immediately makes this 5/1 a spot of value and since then he's won a Championship game with a superb unbeaten final day century. As we know from the test arena and his time with Durham, when McKenzie gets in good nick he fills his boots often and I think he can continue that good form here. Ervine's in great nick and Lumb's back so top scoring won't be easy but batting 4-5 will be perfect for the South African and given we get a refund for 2nd or 3rd I'm happy to take McKenzie each way here at 5's.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 Cracking day to watch cricket today. Not a cloud anywhere to be seen. Even better as a Hampshire fan to turn up and see us splatter the league leaders all around Birmingham. Easy win for Hampshire but Maddy did next to nothing which was all the more annoying as I nearly took Ervine's performance instead :eyes. +1.88pts for the day though so 8.88pts up for the tournament now.

Sunday 23 May 2010 Home Away BPP
maximize.gif Somerset v Worcestershire (13:45 BST) 1.53 3 98.55 %
maximize.gif Scotland v Nottinghamshire (13:45 BST) 5.5 1.23 99.48 %
maximize.gif Gloucestershire v Northamptonshire (13:45 BST) 1.72 2.25 102.34 %
maximize.gif Durham v Leicestershire (13:45 BST) 1.61 2.5 101.90 %
maximize.gif Lancashire v Surrey (13:45 BST) 1.76 2.3 100.30 %
maximize.gif Unicorns v Sussex (13:45 BST) 6 1.2 100.00 %
maximize.gif Netherlands v Middlesex (14:45 BST) 5 1.25 100.00 %

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 4 for me tomorrow in what is the last real betting opportunity in this tournament before it's break. There are a couple of matchdays over the bank holiday weekend but not sure if there will be a betting opportunity or not as the matches involve Scotland and Holland. I'll do the 4 bets in 2 posts. TV match is Lancashire vs Surrey which I'll do in this post. 5pts Durham to beat Leicestershire 8/13 Paddy Power This is a short price but I still think there is enough mileage in it. Durham have started the season off quite nicely in this competition and come into the match boosted by their 1st Championship win last week. Leicestershire are well out of form having lost their last 6 matches in all competitions, the latest of which was at home to Scotland somewhat embarassingly in front of the sky cameras. Durham will be missing a couple of key performers in Ian Blackwell and Stephen Harmison for this match. Blackwell looks like being out for a while with injury while Harmison is rested. Michael di Venuto comes in for Blackwell and Neil Killeen gets a gig in Harmison's place. I'm not too worried about no Harmison because Killeen is a good one day performer. Liam Plunkett is back from Lions duty to hopefully boost the attack. Mitch Claydon also plays too. Leicestershire are also missing some important players. Will Jefferson is injured and he's joined on the injury list by James Benning and Wayne White so that's 3 decent one day players out of their side. James Taylor returns from Lions duty though so he'll play. Nadeem Malik and Naik have been picked in the squad which could contain a weak bowling attack, Hoggard and Henderson aside. Durham are still a decent one day side even without Blackwell and Harmison. As I said above their replacements are good unlike Leicestershire who are calling on inexperienced youngsters. The Riverside is never an easy place to go and win and although the price is a little on the short side I still think it's worth backing Durham to do the business here. 3pts Surrey to beat Lancashire 13/10 Sportingbet Surrey maintained their unbeaten start when they went to Glamorgan and won on Friday night. Lancashire's start hasn't been too great with 2 wins but 3 defeats from their 5 matches so far. In what's beginning to look a stronger group than it appeared on paper, Lancashire need a win here to stay in touch at the top. A win for Surrey would take them top if other results go their way. Lancashire have Jimmy Anderson in their side for this game after he asked Andy Flower if he could play. Ashwell Prince is the key performer in the batting lineup but Stephen Moore isn't far away from the England side. Paul Horton is just starting to find some real consistent form with the bat while Steven Croft is getting a reputation of a decent finisher. Glen Chapple and Sajid Mahmood have always been decent bowlers at this level but Lancs are missing Newby and Hogg with injury. Surrey have Steven Davies back from Lions duty and he'll go straight back into the side, probably for Gary Wilson who didn't really do a lot the other night. He'll open alongside Hamilton-Brown with Ramprakash looking in decent nick at number 3. As always with Surrey it's the bowling that causes concern but Andre Nel amd Chris Tremlett will be hard to face and then Batty and Schofield, back on his old stomping ground, will enjoy the spin friendly conditions. There's no doubt Surrey have played the better cricket of the two in this competition and they are just looking like becoming an effective one day outfit. They beat Lancashire at Whitgift School earlier in the season and with Davies back in their mix I'll take them to win this too at a slightly large price.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 Wins for Gloucestershire and Surrey give me a minute 0.09pt profit on the day. Up to 8.97pts for the competition now. There's a couple of matchdays next weekend before a break for the twenty20 tournament.

Wins for Gloucestershire and Surrey give me a minute 0.09pt profit on the day. Up to 8.97pts for the competition now. There's a couple of matchdays next weekend before a break for the twenty20 tournament.
Everything I'm looking at is stuck on Northants 154/5 needing 39 from 29... ECB live app,sky sports app and round up following Surrey game plus BBC website?!?!? No update on any of them for 20 mins!!! I'll take your word for it kev! I dodged a bullet today by not fancying Durham or Holland but followed your great picks with Surrey and Glouc. Cheers mate :clap

anyone see unicorns' date=' chase down 327 vs sussex, wonder what price they were inplay!![/quote'] Sorry don't know the price but it was a very short boundary and great wicket for batting on. Durston (played in the Champions League for Somerset) still played a blinder but Sussex bowlers should never have let them get near that total! Unicorns might be worth a look in the future if they play more games at Arundel.

Cracking day to watch cricket today. Not a cloud anywhere to be seen. Even better as a Hampshire fan to turn up and see us splatter the league leaders all around Birmingham. Easy win for Hampshire but Maddy did next to nothing which was all the more annoying as I nearly took Ervine's performance instead :eyes. +1.88pts for the day though so 8.88pts up for the tournament now.
You wear your colours? Have been there before many a time and have given up wearing colours a lot of cricket "fans" bring the football mentality to Edgbaston and just looking for a ruck What happened to David Griffiths? I hacve had him in my fantasy cricket and you cant change any players. He injured?

Sorry don't know the price but it was a very short boundary and great wicket for batting on. Durston (played in the Champions League for Somerset) still played a blinder but Sussex bowlers should never have let them get near that total! Unicorns might be worth a look in the future if they play more games at Arundel.
Durston about to be snapped up by a county side.

Durston about to be snapped up by a county side.
Yep, looks like Derbyshire are going to take a chance on him in the twenty20.
You wear your colours? Have been there before many a time and have given up wearing colours a lot of cricket "fans" bring the football mentality to Edgbaston and just looking for a ruck What happened to David Griffiths? I hacve had him in my fantasy cricket and you cant change any players. He injured?
I usually wear a Hampshire shirt. That mentality has come in with twenty20 cricket hasn't it. Generally I find, as with most sports, those looking for trouble aren't those who wear replica shirts. Griffiths is injured. Shame really because I think he's a top prospect. The danger he'll have is getting back into the side because Kabir, Jones and Mascarenhas are all not far from getting back from injury. :welcome to PL btw. Good to see another county cricket fan around. Warwickshire fan I take it?

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 How did your hear about Wes Durston mate? I got told but cant find it anywhere For my sins I support Derbyshire, a good team to lay in T20 as we will be god-damn pathetic. When I went to Edgbaston the other year we beat them and the "fans" were wanting to fight us cos they had lost to us. You couldnt make it up.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 Going to chance one tomorrow. 1pt Holland to beat Derbyshire 10/3 Stan James 10/3 is slightly big on a Dutch side I think have a cracking chance of picking up a couple of wins in this competition over the bank holiday weekend against sides who may just have one eye on the twenty20 which starts next week. Derbyshire are first up for the Orange army and the Falcons have only won once in this competition all season and that was against rooted to the bottom Northants. Derbyshire have slumped in 4 day cricket recently too. Derbyshire's batting is still heavily reliant on Chris Rogers, as we saw in the recent Championship game. However the talent of Chesney Hughes that John Morris has highlighted is starting to come to the fore. Wes Durston has been signed from the Unicorns and could well debut for the county in this match but how he deals with the expectation will be interesting. Derbyshire aren't going great guns with the ball at the minute and if Robin Peterson doesn't have a good game you have to worry for the Falcons. Holland haven't gone down by much in their matches to date and I think they can be competitive here. Michael Dighton returns to his old stomping ground and he's begun the season in good nick. If a couple of the Dutch players can perform around him, especially with the bat, then Holland won't be far away here. They've done well with the ball in their matches so far which is a worry for Falcons fans with their weakish batting. Derbyshire are the favourites here and they should win but they're in poor form right now and when the expectation of winning is there when confidence is low strange things can happen at times. Holland are no mugs even without ten Doeschate and at 10/3 I'm happy to have a small punt that they perform to their potential and pull off an upset.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 Taking Holland again. 1pt Holland to beat Northamptonshire 3/1 Bet365 Holland picked up a great win over Derbyshire on Sunday and now they travel to bottom of Group B, Northants. That win over Derbyshire wasn't Holland's only decent performance in this competition. They lost narrowly to Essex by only one run earlier in the competition so they are playing fairly well. Northants have lost every match in the competition and will be under real pressure here as a defeat pretty much ends their interest in the tournament almost before it's begun. Northants will give a one day debut to Chaminda Vaas and will hope he can keep check on Holland's batsmen. Jack Brooks has been suitably rested and will return for this match while Dave Willey is another who will hope to go well. Boje and Middlebrook offer good spin options. Niall O'Brien, Mal Loye and David Sales form a good batting lineup and then there's the all round talents of Andrew Hall who is now skipper. However he'll know that Northants haven't gone well with the bat in this competition thus far. As I said on Sunday, Holland just need someone to bat around Michael Dighton. Bas Zuiderent, the ex-Sussex batsman was the man to do it at Derbyshire. Dighton was superb hitting a quicker than a run a ball ton in that win. Holland's bowlers have gone fairly well in this competition all the way through and if they can get stuck in the Northants top order they may not be chasing a huge amount. Holland will be high in confidence, buoyed by their win on Sunday while Northants have not only lost every one day game this season but threw away a good position in the Championship against Surrey last week which could dent their confidence further. They're not scoring big runs at the minute in one day cricket and their seam bowling is pretty young aside from Vaas. Holland look a biggish price given recent results and at 3/1 I'm happy to take a punt on them winning back to back matches this weekend.