** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Champions League- 6th April

Re: Champions League- 6th April And that proves the odds were correct all along, and Barca, if anything should have been shorter than the odds on offer. Will never understand how people could have thrown money away on Arsenal tonight, be aswell flushing it down the toilet at 7.45pm. :lol

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions League- 6th April Inter Milan @ 2.30 :D Inter cruised through to the semi finals Barcelona - Arsenal over 3.5 @ 2.26 :D What Messi has achieved so far at such a young age is unbelievable. If he stays injury free and does not get the sh1t kicked out of him as this may be the only way to stop him, then he will go on to become the greatest ever player - better than Maradona and Pele. The defenders are physically much quicker, more structured in their play and able to think more quickly than in previous decades but he still finds ways to outsmart them. He is far too good.

Re: Champions League- 6th April

And that proves the odds were correct all along' date=' and Barca, if anything should have been shorter than the odds on offer. Will never understand how people could have thrown money away on Arsenal tonight, be aswell flushing it down the toilet at 7.45pm. :lol[/quote'] This guy understands the argument.

??? Yeah cos Arsenal are not well known for throwing themselves to the ground eh pfft :lol
They are but im not sure its warrented when everyone does it in the PL these days, guess im just sick of the way football is going. I guess I should just stick to watching league 2 and below where the players dont dare try it.

I dont think you understand the arguement that the other side are making' date=' if you did, you would agree with them. :lol[/quote'] We understand the argument. The bookies obviously were very certain that Arsenal wouldn't win and therefore seen the opportunity to draw people in to bet on them with the big odds that way making themselves more money. Those who didn't bet on Arsenal just knew there was no way they were going to win either. I can see how Arsenal supporters kept faith and had to back their own team, which is fair enough. :ok

We understand the argument. The bookies obviously were very certain that Arsenal wouldn't win and therefore seen the opportunity to draw people in to bet on them with the big odds that way making themselves more money. Those who didn't bet on Arsenal just knew there was no way they were going to win either. I can see how Arsenal supporters kept faith and had to back their own team' date=' which is fair enough. :ok[/quote'] You need to think of betting in terms of % rather than absolutes.

Re: Champions League- 6th April Well Barcelona were the favourites tonight no doubt. If Arsenal fans were not to agree then any neutral will tell you that. Barcelona's odds were so short but and some people just backed Arsenal because of how high their odds were saying its football or its a cup tie, never know what could happen. So no, people dont always back teams for the odds but just for the reason they think they will win

And that proves the odds were correct all along' date=' and Barca, if anything should have been shorter than the odds on offer. Will never understand how people could have thrown money away on Arsenal tonight, be aswell flushing it down the toilet at 7.45pm. :lol[/quote'] Any given result doesn't prove whether the odds were correct or incorrect, you'd have to play the same game over and over again to be truely aware whether the odds were correct. Plus people who backed Arsenal haven't "thrown their money down the toilet", at least not the sensible ones they would have laid for a nice profit all round after they took the lead surely. I doubt you were saying "the odds were correct" when Arsenal went 1-0 up. Thought Arsenal didn't play too badly but Messi on that form is unstoppable and was the main difference between the two teams. I still say Barcelona were too short, this is often the case with highly fancied teams and the reason why you won't get rich back long odds on favourites all the time. I stayed away from tonight's games but I thought Arsenal's odds were too big but didn't fancy them at all to put any money on them.

Well Barcelona were the favourites tonight no doubt. If Arsenal fans were not to agree then any neutral will tell you that. Barcelona's odds were so short but and some people just backed Arsenal because of how high their odds were saying its football or its a cup tie' date=' never know what could happen. So no, people dont always back teams for the odds but just for the reason they think they will win[/quote'] Of course, you have to look at the teams and make up in your mind the chance of each team winning - but if you disregard the odds given, well, you don't need to be a mathematical genious to understand that that equals a loss in the long run :)

think we may be two people who - one backs for just who they think will win and another who backs for the odds and profit ?
or a subtle combination of the two i.e. back odds that represent value that you think will win.

Re: Champions League- 6th April yeah i enjoy a combination of the two aswell but just tonight i couldn't see Arsenal winning despite how high the odds were. Was just a case tonight where i had to put the money where i on who i thought would win no matter the odds. Did have to look into the game more and pick out bets though instead of straight barca win.

They are but im not sure its warrented when everyone does it in the PL these days' date=' guess im just sick of the way football is going. I guess I should just stick to watching league 2 and below where the players dont dare try it.[/quote'] Believe it or not he's still bitter about the Eduardo dive earlier in the season against Celtic. Not too disheartened about tonight, at the end of the day what can you do about 4 goals against the run of play? :tongue2

And that proves the odds were correct all along' date=' and Barca, if anything should have been shorter than the odds on offer. Will never understand how people could have thrown money away on Arsenal tonight, be aswell flushing it down the toilet at 7.45pm. :lol[/quote'] It's a difficult one for me. At the start of the week I said the odds were a joke, and that I still believe was the case. Barcelona were too short, and Arsenal were too long. Regardless of how great you think the side is, at this stage of the CL, no side deserves to be given only a 10% chance of winning. I suppose the analogy I like best is purchasing a new TV. I can go out and buy a 44 inch TV tomorrow, but would I just walk into Curry's and pick up the first one that I come across for £800. No, because I'd be being ripped off. I'd prefer to know that I'm getting a fair deal in anything tbh, before parting with my hard earned. There are some games though that fall into another category, where perhaps all normal logic does not apply, and the game tonight perhaps was one.

I dont think you understand the arguement that the other side are making' date=' if you did, you would agree with them. :lol[/quote'] no i understand completely. the odds on arsenal suggested that the bookies saw arsenal winning this game just 1 time out of 10. some people thought that this was wrong and that arsenal would in theory win more times than this and thats where the value comes from. i can see the logic, but i'm still never going to bet on a decimated arsenal side, at the nou camp, against one of the finest barcelona sides in living memory, with one of the greatest players of our generation on scintillating form. i took only one bet tonight and that was barca -1.5 @evens, not very high stakes but it returned a nice profit.

:welcome Under 10 corners looks a cracking bet considering they were only 4 corners at the Emirates So people instead of stressing yourself's out on the corner handicaps go for unders cos its not either team style to go for corners In terms of game i can see Barca winning but not not by a big margin, Song being missing is a key lost for Arsenal as it was him an Alumina that kept them in the game in the 1st hlf in the 1st leg. I can see barca exploting that area also Denilson can't defend, Sol Campbell quiet slow i can the barca pacey front 3 tearing him too shreds. I see Halftime draw is good value but i can see Barca hitting them early so they can put the tie to bed Also Messi Decoy well he might of been in the 1st leg but i can see being eager to score this time round, also being penalty taker does help and he does take some freekicks Under 10 corners in the match 8/5 Hills :clap Barca HT/FT 10/11 PP :clap Messi 1st goal 3/1 Hills :sadHes score 4 goals but nt the 1st, plus i had betdnar to score 1st in the 1st leg an he does it now why!!!!!! Ps. I like Cska +1 but aint gonna get involved in this one
Profitable day :beer

Re: Champions League- 6th April Bayern (+0.5) @ 2.13 Watched Man U without Rooney and that doesn't look good. Bayern should play tight tonight using the flanks and their pacey players like Ribery, Olić what should create lots of problems to United's defense. I tought that odds would something like 2.20 in United's favour and even then i wouldn't backed them so this looks acceptable for me. GL.

Interesting... Samir Nasri to Score and Xavi to be booked: 45/1 @ PP Messi to score and Xavi to be booked : 12/1 @PP Messi to score and Campbell to be booked: 17/2 @ PP Bendtner to score and Campbell to be booked: 19/1 @ PP Can see Campbell being ran circles round tonight so may show frustration? Food for thought...
Question, if i took Messi to score and Campbell to be booked does it get refunded as he didn't play???