** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Champions League- 6th April

Re: Champions League- 6th April None of the singles really take my fancy but after looking on William Hill some of these match trebles seem quite tempting. Barcelona Win and Under 10 Corners and 4-6 Cards @ 6.00 Barcelona Win and Under 10 Corners and Over 6 Cards @ 15.00 Arsenal Win and Under 10 Corners and 4-6 Cards @ 31.00 Arsenal Win and Under 10 Corners and Over 6 Cards @ 71.00 When they played at the Emirates there were only 4 corners throughout the entire match, all for Barcelona. When Barca play you don't really see them attacking the wings and settling for a corner, with the technical ability on their team they'd much rather pass their way through the defence and have a shot. I've posted the Arsenal odds because they look pretty good to me, all they need is an early goal to unsettle Barca and we could see a repeat of the second half at the Emirates. Wouldn't surprise me if there are over 6 cards too, Sol Campbell's in and he won't be able to match the pace of Barca's players. Also, if either team goes behind early I can see things getting scrappy because of frustration. Sol Campbell First Goal Scorer @ 34.00 Sol Campbell / Barcelona 2-1 @ 331.00 (scorecast) He's got a physical presence and could be a threat when it comes to corners. I think Barcelona will underestimate him in the box. Barcelona 1-0 @ 8.50 Barcelona 2-0 @ 8.00 With Barca already having 2 away goals, scoring first would put them in a great position to dictate how the game is run and focus on possession play, giving Arsenal minimal opportunties to score. Let me know what you think, i'm new to this so will get better at these reasons with time :\

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions League- 6th April

While I am a massive fan of Ibra, and his presence will definitely be missed through the middle, these players are very capable. I see the Barcelona style of play as an ethos, and Pedro, Bojan and Jeffren have all been groomed in it from a young age. Ibra is the standout player through the middle, but even he drifts out to the right quite a lot. The strikers positions are all interchangeable, and the players do this naturally. A front line of Pedro-Bojan-Messi will cause Arsenal so many problems with their pace and movement. I don't think Arsenal are the team to resort to using overtly physical tactics to quieten these players either. Pedro has 17 goals in all competitions this season, Bojan scored two good goals at the weekend having hardly played this season, and we all know about Messi. Ibra might be missed, but they will manage.
Fantastic post mate :clap. Couldn't of wrote it better myself ;). Those who don't watch Spanish football week in week out or at least follow in this occasion Barcelona, don't really know what some players are capable of. I myself am also a fan of Ibra and for all the stick he was taking weeks ago i still knew he would come good. His presence will be missed but Barca also play differently when he is in the squad compared to when Pedro, Henry or Bojan are on instead of him. Pedro & Bojan are more than capable of causing anyone problems. In the first leg, it seemed to me that there was a lot of Messi this Messi that. It just seemed to be all about him. It seemed they worried so much about him that they forgot the rest of the team. Iniesta missing in the first leg was a big boost for some people and him alone influenced some people's bets. They forget who comes in though to play in his position. Anyways, long point short, they should fear the team more than individual players. For those who don't know Milito & Marquez. They are both top quality players. Milito has impressed lately and has got more game time. He is more than ready to step up to the plate and i rate him as highly as Pique & Puyol. Marquez is the mexican captain, speaks for itself despite his lack of game time. Pep has tried to include him recently introducing him once or twice to keep him tickin over and refresh his squad. Also with Abidal returning at the weekend there and playing very well Pep could play him at left back bringing Maxwell into centre half so it may not be Milito & Marquez although i am certain Milito will play, maybe not Marquez. IMO, Xavi will start in midfield with Busquets and Keita. I dont expect Pep to start Toure or Iniesta, just because both returning from injuries and there is no need for him to start them despite them being declared fit. Upfront IMO, will be Messi, Pedro & Bojan because of Bojan's performance at the weekend and how he stepped up to the plate when he was asked to at the last minute before ko i cant see how Pep can not start him. Finally, Arsenal's team news is worse than the first leg and the fact they dont have Fabregas, Arshavin, Gallas & Song is worrying. Surely, Campbell wont start. His pace could be Arsenal's downfall in this leg. Also, in an above post, someone set out a starting 11 and didn't include Walcott in it. From his performance in the first leg, surely he has to start. He made all the difference for Arsenal. Listening to Gael Clichy speaking on tv recently he was saying Arsenal wont be full out attack from the first whistle, they will let the game settle although they know they need to score and Barca dont. My predicted starting 11 - Barcelona. Valdes Alves - Milito - Maxwell - Abidal Xavi - Busquets - Keita Pedro - Messi - Bojan if not Maxwell at the back then Marquez and i still reckon Maxwell will play, moving to left sided midfield possibly replacing Busquets or Keita in midfield. :)

You people live in England, and there have to be some Arsenal supporters in here. So with this being said, how much confidence is surrounding the club right now? With Barcelona weakened in the back can Nasri, Bendtner and gang step up and score a couple goal to win this? I really thought I'd get more stronger opinions on this as there are members in here who live in England.
I thought JK just answered a lot of this? :eyes I've given my opinion too. We're both English ;)

With Barca already having 2 away goals, scoring first would put them in a great position to dictate how the game is run and focus on possession play, giving Arsenal minimal opportunties to score. Let me know what you think, i'm new to this so will get better at these reasons with time :\
That sounds like it could happen :ok. A bet on a goal in first 30 mins prob be good bet. Wouldn't expect Barca to go rushing to get a goal but with their possession play and creating opportunities if the goal comes it comes i reckon. It's Arsenal who need to score and everyone knows that but Barca wont sit back and wait for them to attack first.

They haven't got a bad replacement though have they' date=' in Henry.[/quote'] I really don't think Henry will play, I don't think he could bare scoring against Arsenal. He's only played twice in 2010 anyway. The line-ups will probably be; Almunia Sagna - Campbell - Vermaelen - Clichy Denilson - Diaby Eboue - Nasri - Rosicky Bendtner vs Valdes Alves - Milito - Abidal - Maxwell Busquets Xavi - Keita/Iniesta Bojan - Messi - Pedro

I really don't think Henry will play, I don't think he could bare scoring against Arsenal. He's only played twice in 2010 anyway. The line-ups will probably be; Almunia Sagna - Campbell - Vermaelen - Clichy Denilson - Diaby Eboue - Nasri - Rosicky Bendtner vs Valdes Alves - Milito - Abidal - Maxwell Busquets Xavi - Keita/Iniesta Bojan - Messi - Pedro
3/1 for Messi looking good for me at ladbrokes and others......

I know we're underdogs but I wouldnt get carried away, we're still a top quality team even with the players missing. I wouldn't take the first leg as a sign of how this one will play out either, I doubt Barca will press as hard as they did in that game, and we were carrying Fabregas and Arshavin in the first 20 minutes when we were getting dominated. We will miss song but at least we'll have 10 players willing to close the ball unlike last week when we had 5 or 6 players struggling. If the price on Arsenal goes any higher than 7/1 I'm well on it.
I spy another battle between the lump on a team that'll win at any price brigade and the look for value mob. As always there is only one long term winner, there simply isn't a team in the world that Arsenal should be 9s against. They were 4.5 away to Chelsea a little while back. Are Barca that much better than Chelsea ? Some people will try and tell you that they are, but the facts such as the closeness of last seasons CL semi between chelsea and arsenal doesn't support it. Arsenal must be taken at 9s, 5s is much closer to fair odds.

Re: Champions League- 6th April I guess we all have different opinions but I must have been watching another game last week. I don't think the bookies have got the prices wrong at all but hey ho, I guess it is all about opinions as I said. I wouldn't worry about Bohan & Pedro coming in for Ibrahimivic one bit, both are fantastic young talents and alongside Messi their pace and movement will cause havoc at the back for Arsenal. Even with Fabregas & Arshavin I don't think Arsenal would trouble Barca at the Nou Camp and now playing without them, I really do fear for them.

I'm never comfortable backing teams that dont have to win normally but in this case I am willing to make an exception. Barca showed against Stuttgart in the last round that they will attack in waves long after the match is over as a contest. Arsenal, with their poor away form, are in trouble against a Barca side who do everything that Arsenal do...better. At the prices I would be tempted on arsenal with a full strangth line up, but with their injuries there is only one logical choice. Ill take Barca with a 1.25 goal handicap at 1.8.
Also worth a look is both teams to score at 1.7. Better price than 1.5 for over 2.5 goals, and BArca usually give their opponents a chance or two.

Re: Champions League- 6th April what suprises me is no walcott in your line-ups... He had a great game home against Barca I think... Wouldn't suprise me if he starts instead of Eboué.... Think he has the key as well... If he's in a good shape Barca can get into difficulties. Barca defense: not a lot of speed... Only Alves but if Walcott plays on the other flank....

what suprises me is no walcott in your line-ups... He had a great game home against Barca I think... Wouldn't suprise me if he starts instead of Eboué.... Think he has the key as well... If he's in a good shape Barca can get into difficulties. Barca defense: not a lot of speed... Only Alves but if Walcott plays on the other flank....
Yup, I was suprised myself, seems like the Arsenal fans here don't rate him that highly, he did well in the weekend in the EPL delivering ball after ball form the right flank and also had a few decent shots in that game as well... Walcott brings the speed factor into arsenal's game play I feel and I would start him right off the bat... Anyway, another bet caught my eye, that being a substitute to score a goal @ 3.50 paddypower

Re: Champions League- 6th April The willhill possession odds for the return leg is 7-1 for Barca to have +65% possession Big price but Im not so sure about this one These are the possession stats for both teams home/away games Barca v... Suttgart 58% Inter 59% Rubin 69% Kiev 69% Arsenal at... Porto 55 Olympiakos 54 Liege 67 AZ 47 Barca had 62% at the emirates. What do we think :\

The willhill possession odds for the return leg is 7-1 for Barca to have +65% possession Big price but Im not so sure about this one These are the possession stats for both teams home/away games Barca v... Suttgart 58% Inter 59% Rubin 69% Kiev 69% Arsenal at... Porto 55 Olympiakos 54 Liege 67 AZ 47 Barca had 62% at the emirates. What do we think :\
Ill take it, but I cannot find it :( Where is it located in hills?

Sorry I dont know - its another derek mcgovern bet - and I cant access bookmakers sites until tonight http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/columnists/mcgovern/2010/04/06/barcelona-will-be-top-guns-in-champions-league-115875-22165160/
Yeah I saw it, so fustrating that douchebag, he mentions some good bets from time to time but it can never be found on the bloody site... ARGH!!!! Anyone see and match possession bets on any other sites? Could ya point them out to me please? Thanks :) Another bet which caught my eye is: Barca -3 corners @ 1.85 hills Barca -2 corners @ 1.53 hills (looks nailed on) Seeing how the corner count at the Emirates was 0:4 in favor of Barcelona..

On the CSKA game: Do Inter have any experience playing on plastic? Noone in the Seria A uses artificial turf' date=' but do Inter have any training grounds with these conditions?[/quote'] I have read that their training facilities have two full size artificial pitches and one smaller artificial pitch. So I suppose they are as prepared as any visitor to Moscow. If you want to check just Wiki 'Angelo Moratti Sports Centre'

Re: Champions League- 6th April Also I wouldn't be surprised to see Abidal back at left-back, not centre back. He played at the weekend and played well. He also has far more physical presence than Maxwell so is better equipped to deal with Walcott. Maxwell had a bit of a nightmare when Walcott came on last week. With Yaya doubtful Maxwell could again be played in midfield as at the weekend. I think Abidal at left-back would be a good move if Theo starts.

Re: Champions League- 6th April Those people that have backed INTER tonight, if Inter do take a lead in Moscow, make sure you LAY them off quick as you can, as they can afford to lose 2-1 and still go through. I can see Inter going for an early goal and then sitting back and defending the rest of the game, and I doubt they will win the match if they sit back and defend. I know INTER can win this game but they probably won't and will just be interested in Qualifying.. I expect Inter to be in Control of the game but I can see a DRAW here tonight. I will be laying Inter for sure before kick off, and as I mentioned before if Inter take a lead in Moscow LAY them off in running would be my advice.

So what ur saying is that if the score is 0-0 at half time' date=' Arsenal is then going to win this game??Lol.. Do u remember the score of the first leg in London? What does it tell ya?? Remember who is chasing the game here ![/quote'] In the first game Barcelona came out and played at an intensity that would of been impossible to maintain for longer than the fifteen minutes it did, then, for me, the only significant difference in the match was Almunia's mistake, which gave Barca the lead. I don't care what anyone says, none of the other guys come anywhere close to Ibrahimovic, and his loss will be felt. It's like replacing Van Persie with Vela, or... Fabregas with Ramsey. Perhaps there may be a few goals towards the end of the match, if the tie isn't going Arsenal's way and they tire, but I see no reason they can't make it a closer game than the bookies obviously think.

Re: Champions League- 6th April As a Gooner, I'm going against the grain of you guys and sticking by my team, Arsenal FTW :) As much as I dislike Bendtner, I can see Walcott and him being a nice little pairing and causing some problems. Not doubting the fact that the odds are hugely in Barca's favour for obvious reasons, but if you don't support your own team, who will?... I'll be looking at some of the alternative bets I think...

Sorry I dont know - its another derek mcgovern bet - and I cant access bookmakers sites until tonight http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/columnists/mcgovern/2010/04/06/barcelona-will-be-top-guns-in-champions-league-115875-22165160/
I think he's full of crap. He sometimes will give one of those tips where a profit is guaranteed, y'know, like when backing two things on different sites, but you go to the sites, and the bets are never there.

As a Gooner, I'm going against the grain of you guys and sticking by my team, Arsenal FTW :) As much as I dislike Bendtner, I can see Walcott and him being a nice little pairing and causing some problems. Not doubting the fact that the odds are hugely in Barca's favour for obvious reasons, but if you don't support your own team, who will?... I'll be looking at some of the alternative bets I think...
I think a good rule of betting, mate, is never to bet on your own team, as sentiment will always be involved, and this clouds judgement. I used Norwich in two acca's over the weekend and they were the only side to let me down :)

Never said I was going to bet on them' date= just not going to bet against them, hence why I'll be looking at the Over 2.5's/Corners etc :P
Obviously think you're gonna win 3-0 then ;)

Re: Champions League- 6th April The odds on Barca are crazy. Not worth considering at the moment, those odds may rise as more people will LAY than back barca at that price. The bookies are leaving a carrot out on that one. Barca had alot of chances and alot of control in the first leg and from seeing the first leg, most pepole probably think the 2nd leg is going to be a rout.. This is the 2nd leg of a Champions league quarter final knock out stage. Its a cup match and anything can happen. Arsenal are capable of getting a goal, and if they can keep Barcelona out like they did in the first half of the first leg then who knows. Personally I don't know why people would get involved and bet on a game like this but hey. Must be the BUZZ.