Paddock watching

Went to Kempton on Saturday afternoon, and found myself drawn to the paddock for the last 5 races. I spent a good 15 minutes watching the runners and it was undeniably informative. I am no expert, but I have a rough idea of what a fit horse should look like. I wondered if it was worth starting a thread, that anyone who goes racing live could potentially contribute to on their return, re the state of fitness of horses that they have seen. Of the 5 races that I looked at below are some of my notes. 3.25 Listed contest over 10 furlongs was the first trip down, and discovered Willie Haggas was there to watch South Easter. Maybe he's just lazy and didnt fancy Donny, but it seemed to suggest his horse was set to run well. Either way the horse looked well but certainly there's something to work on. The pick of the paddock coat wise was undoubtedly Safari Sunup who then ran a blinder for 2nd. I'd definitely consider him if he's out quickly, as he is in great nick. In the 4.00 maiden stakes, nothing was absolutely gleaming. Takeaway was the biggest and most well developed, strongly muscled around his rear. But he hadn't come truly into his coat and I'd say there was improvement to come. Obviously after the manner of his victory it is apparent he's a useful animal. Both the Mick Channon horses looked strong types, and were definitely fit. Beach Patrol ran a solid race from the front to finish 2nd, whilst Master Macho will surely benefit from the run. But neither looked remotely like they were at peak fitness and improvement will follow. I'd back both of them on their return to action, if suitably pitched in! They were split by the Michael Scudamore Iztaccihuatl who ran a very promising race in 3rd. He looked great in his coat, perhaps the best of them. Worth keeping an eye on. Of the others Jibouti is a nice looking individual but is rangy. He'll definitely do better in time, he had nowhere near the muscle definition of Takeaway. Unknown Rebel looked ok in his coat, and was supported enough to suggest connections were expecting better. Interesting to see if he is out again soon. The 4.35 was a funny one. I backed Navajo Chief purely on the back of seeing him in the paddock. He looked absolutely sensational. He is 100% at the moment and I will be very keen if he turns out again, maybe over 10 furlongs. He was backed from 33's, so not unexpected as far as connections go but I think he could be out again soon. Others that looked good in the paddock were Marosh and the very well backed Highland Quaich. The latter was a strong word from ISIRIS according to one of our party, he works at Sporting Index and had rung the trading room beforehand, and I think they'll be on a retrieval mission soon as he looked very well. The race didn't pan out for him at all, and Keniry appeared to have a bad day at the office from our view, But he's obviously been showing something at home. The winner Huygens looked ok, but only that, the way he won suggests he could improve again for the run. Duellist looked fit enough but not amazing. Same with Midfielder and Areeda. Avon River looked a long way from peak fitness, very dull in her coat and I wouldnt have thought winning anything anytime soon. In the 5.10, Love Delta who looked very well. However after 4 wins on the bounce she had every right to be the paddock pick. But after her defeat, now might be the time to oppose her. None of the others came close to looking as well in their coats so there's a suggestion that maybe the handicapper now has her where he wants her. Some of the others will improve for the run, no doubt. Indeed other than Love Delta, only Duplicity and Raddy Tell Pauline looked really as if they were coming truly to hand. Yer Woman, the eventual winner looked ready to do herself justice but was along way from being a standout, so there could be more to come from her. The same could apply to Edgewater. In the final race I was very keen to check out Dani's Girl[ as I'd had a strong word for her. And she did look great in the paddock. So someone was expecting something. However she pulled and raced far too freely for her young and talented apprentice Keiren Fox. Interesting to see what they do with her because physically she looks ready to run well. There has to be another race in Gala Evening. He looked fit but not gleaming and yet the way he won was of a very decent horse. Maybe he is a type that doesn't neccessarily "gleam" but I guess there's alot more to come. Dance The Star looked very well but has been running alot on the allweather so has every reason to be fit. She could maybe strike again before the flat kicks off in earnest. Right Stuff didnt dramatically take the eye, nor Rose Row but they both ran decent enough races. Yellowstone looked healthy enough, starting to come into his coat. Silver Suitor was an impressive looking beast, a big sort and he looked straight enough without being at his peak. Definitely a few to take out of the meeting, the coming weeks will reveal more...:hope

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.