** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Rio's Racing Diary

Re: Rio's Racing Diary We arrive at Doncaster & it's windy, it was windy before we set off & I've decided that I might end up chasing the hat around the track so I've left it at home. Mistake, the sun was out & while it didn't feel that warm I'm now doing a passable impression of a Swan Vesta :eyes Still lets not complain it's better than freezing to death. In we go & it's heaving, when we were here the other week the Human League were on after racing & there was a fair size crowd, £33 that day. Yesterday UB40 are on & it's £10 cheaper, the South Yorkshire faithful seem to think they have spotted a bargain & turned out in force. A look at these 2yo's & I'm quite taken with Raaqy who's a good size & looks fit enough to these tired old eyes, Hamdan's other runner Alsaaden would fit in your pocket. Mowgli decides he prefers Aneesah from Roger Varian's who's vying for favouritism with Raaqy & Heroic Heart from Gosden's who's yet to appear, he also likes the Fahey runner Drifting Spirit. Heroic Heart is quite late in & when she waddles past us I decide that she needs this run, Raaqy it is. A bet at 9/2 is secured, Mowgli backs Aneesah & Drifting Spirit. Away they go & Aneesah tracks the lead on the near rail with Raaqy following her, Drifting Spirit is in touch heading to the last furlong but can't change gear. Aneesah holds every chance but gets squeezed a bit & downs tools. Meanwhile Hanagan's weaving a way through & is closing down the leader which is the other Hamdan runner heading the line, she gets there & wins by a short head. That'll do for a start. The eye catcher here is Kevin Ryan's Canny Style who walked out of the gate & stayed on well for 3rd. Mowgli's all over Wordiness in the next even though he was well beaten here LTO, I'd actually leave this race alone but I'm quite pleased by the look of Hanagan's mount Always Resolute when they appear. With a few quid banked I've no need to back again if I don't want, another win from Paul will do me now. Always Resolute is held up & makes progress nicely early in the straight while Wordiness is soon under a drive & not really picking up. Just when I'm thinking I've a chance the well backed Paris Snow scoots clear to win by 5l's, I get 2nd & Wordiness plugs on for 3rd. The Woodcote is on the big screen, take note York that Doncaster can show not only Epsom but Musselburgh & Worcester too. Miss Moneypenny breaks well but her & everything else are left trailing by Buratino who storms clear in the last furlong. I've given him 84 for that which ties in with his other numbers but means that Miss Moneypenny & the rest all ran below form here, or I need a new caculator, bit of a head scratcher this one. Arizona John doesn't seem to be a typical Mowgli sort, an exposed 10yo albeit a quite well handicapped one but he backs this in the next. He runs a good 2nd but Igider bounds home by just the 5l's having blobbed when well backed FTO, the stewards have a natter....

The Stewards considered the apparent improvement in form of the winner, IGIDER (IRE), ridden by Graham Lee and trained by Roger Varian, compared with its previous run at Hamilton on 15 May 2015 where the colt finished ninth of ten beaten 20¾ lengths. They noted the trainer’s explanation that the colt appreciated the faster ground having run on good to soft last time and being ridden more prominently on this occasion. They ordered IGIDER (IRE) to be routine tested.
Funny how several sources were saying that the trainer said after that first run that this is one that takes some getting fit, isn't it odd that he's not said that to the Donny G & T brigade. Wildes beats one home & is either on the downgrade already or an all weather horse. We watch the Coronation Cup on the big screen. Mowgli thinks Dolniya will beat Flintshire, I'm thinking it's between those two & have put them in my Telegraph Qipco team. "Couldn't back Pether's Moon with stolen money" Says Mowgli. Dolniya makes all until she gets nutted close home by Pether's Moon, Mowgli's shaking his head little do I know that in about 35 minutes so will I, we are not the only ones....
The Stewards considered the apparent improvement in form of the winner, PETHER’S MOON (IRE), trained by Richard Hannon, compared with its previous run at Newmarket on 2 May 2015 where the horse finished third of four, beaten by 18 lengths. They noted the trainer’s explanation that the horse had been better suited by the track. They ordered PETHER’S MOON (IRE) to be routine tested.
Next up is Abbey Angel, Mowgli's keen on her, I hope he's right. I go to the pre parade for a look, he backs her & then follows me for a look as well, I've always found that odd, when he arrives he says "What's she like"? She looks alright actually but I'm half tempted to say "She's only got three legs & the heads on the wrong end" just to see the reaction but she does look fit enough. We head back round to the front to watch. The well backed Subcontinent leads with Abbey Angel & the Abdullah runner Exosphere who's on the drift both held up. Subcontinent curls up a bit tamely when Exosphere cruises upsides heading to final furlong while Abbey Angel plods on in 3rd, that's most disappointing. On the big screen the action switches to Epsom & the "Dash" No Commentary here & as they pass the post I ask Mowgli what's won. "Desert Law" This is the Desert Law that I backed on the Sunday of the Lincoln meeting & said that he'd pop up at a price somewhere. I didn't back him at Beverley when he was drawn on the wrong side or at Redcar when he was out of the places LTO when a skinny price but did in between when 3rd at York. He's also the one that was taken out when the rule 4 scam was abused at Doncaster a few weeks back. I've seen several today that we've had history with, indeed King Torus is running a few minutes at Musselburgh but totally missed Desert Law, SP 16/1, now it's my turn to shake the head. Mowgli decides to back King Torus, he looks like he might win but gets beat a nose & a half length & is 3rd, more head shaking. My neighbour rings me up, he likes a bet on the football & I'm expecting him to start wittering on about the Champion's League final which will probably end with him wanting to back Barca to win 7-0 & Suarez to get six, however he wants to back Elm Park for the Derby, I tell him I'll stick a few quid on. First though is this dreadful looking maiden. Mowgli backs Thesme who finishes 3rd, Compton River is well beaten, no stewards enquiry however.....
Paul Hanagan, the rider of COMPTON RIVER, unplaced, reported that the gelding became upset in the preliminaries, possibly due to the high wind.
Is it just possible that I've heard it all now? Derby time. I secure some 9/1 about Elm Park, Mowgli takes Giovanni Canaletto. Hans Holbein & Elm Park set off like the devil is after them, after about half a mile Atzeni manages to get Elm Park to drop anchor a bit & Hans Holbein is well clear & still in front heading down the straight, he can't hang on can he? No, the pack arrive headed by Jack Hobbs who I'd backed in the Dante but no sooner as he set sail for home than Golden Horn & Dettori sweep past to win in style. Elm Park beats one home & 7-0 Suarez to get six might have had more chance, Giovanni Canaletto is a never in it 4th. Golden Horn was impressive & the time was fast. We hang about for the 5.10 where I have Augusta Ada & Mowgli backs Fray. Heading to final furlong & it seems I may have a chance which soon vanishes, Fray is a never dangerous 4th. We've had enough now, I'm not confident about the Stoute/Hamdan runner in the last & Mowgli can't pick his nose today. We're well up the A1 by the time Raddeh is a 2l's runner up. No return from the posted bets but the cash bet on Raaqy keeps the wolves at bay. Singles etc W/R 10-45 Stakes 763.4pts Returns 759.38pts Profit/Loss -4.02pts Multiple bets Stakes 266pts Returns 159.89pts Profit/Loss -106.11pts Exacta/Trifecta -£4.80 The not sure what to call it but if it cops I’ll be on a beach somewhere with a cold drink in one hand & a hot blonde in the other bet Stakes 80.5pts Returns 35.15pts Profit/Loss -49.35pts Expenses £620 Mowgli is bunking off work early tomorrow so a run to Ponte Carlo & the evening meeting. Raaqy Raaqy_zpszzxdv5lw.jpg Always Resolute Always%20Resolute_zpsk747vo0m.jpg Exosphere Exosphere_zpsuquwknxv.jpg Rio.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Pontefract this evening, decent card actually. Last evening I got a text from Mowgli asking me if I'd seen the Direct Racing Club horse Jessie K running in Ayr's 4.30 today? No is the short answer & having looked at the club website it gets no clearer because there's not a sausage on there about her. Hovering over the owner/trainer line on the RP site shows she was owned by Edmond Kearney & trained by Patrick J Flynn in Ireland until 2nd of June so they haven't had her long. Her form is dreadful, five runs, a last of six, 6th of seven, 12th of 13, 11th of 15 & 10th of 11 with the 14l's she was beaten on that last run the nearest she's got in the five tries & altogether she's been beaten a total of 115.5l's :eek Having said that the race today is another contender for the worst I've ever seen. The top weight Dark Crystal won twice here last July off the same mark as today but she's hardly been in form in three runs this season. Goninodaethat runs here more than anywhere & has won off a bit higher mark but again a couple of runs here this year don't inspire. All of Sewn Up's wins are on the aw & he's zero from 18 on grass & looks better at 5/6f's anyway. Coreczka managed to place with a 3rd over C&D for the first time in her six race career LTO but was beaten nearly 7l's. Blue Jacket's been running reasonably well lately for minor honours & if you put my arm up my back & forced me to back one it would probably be her. Kay Gee Be's last win was in November 2012 & he's an 11yo now. Our Man Phil is over from Ireland, presumably for the trip because he's shown nothing in eight runs. Neither has Mystical King in in six goes & this ones back from 10 months off. Clever Love won at Wolves in Feb last year on a first start for O'Meara & then after three poor runs he was binned & has done nothing in four goes for his new handler. Penelope Pitstop showed a glimmer of ability in her first half dozen starts but in five runs since the turn of the year she's lost her way. I don't know what to make of this, I just wish they'd said something, I will be rather annoyed should she run well or even win which against this lot is not impossible, we shall see. Anyway to this evening. A dozen 2yo's to start off where Martini Time is very short for my favourite trainer Mr Johnston on the strength of a 3l's 2nd to Ashadihan at Haydock 11 days ago. The 4th has been beaten again since & is the only one to have run from the race which on my numbers I have has been run at a crawl & I'm taking this one on tonight but what with? Unlit has gone 284 in three goes & clocked 60, 48, 60, consistent but not progressive. Mininggold is similar with placings of 64 but 55 then 47 on the clock although that last run was on soft. Moonlight Girl ran a 36 FTO then virtually disappeared next time. The interesting one that's run is Popsies Joy who clocked a 63 when beaten just under 5l's when green on debut at Newcastle, she has the plum draw in 1 but that's no good if she's slow away again. Jessie B Goode, Little Swift & Bint Aldar are the three likely ones from those making a debut, the latter though is almost on the M62 from box 12. A look at these before a punt as usual. The bet tonight is a trixie plus singles at the moment. Handiwork ought to go well in the 7.10 but might find this ground a bit on the quick side. Tuscan Gold keeps finding at least one to beat him & a record of two wins from 39 starts under all codes is off putting. Point the Toes won here in April off 4lb but was well beaten after, might have been the soft ground but then again she's none too consistent either. I'll take Statsminister here, she looked progressive for most of last season at up to 1m 6f's, not a bad run at that trip on her return at Newmarket & worth a try at this longer distance. In the 7.40 Normandy Barriere won two small handicaps including one over C&D & then was a fine 2nd at 7f's at York at this class 3 level. Up another 3lb for that & back to 6f's & should go well but the handicapper might just have the handle on him now. Dawns Early Light nearly won over C&D on the middle run of his three runs in maidens & could go well here but stall 9 doesn't help. Feeling Easy might just be a shade too high to win after scoring three times last season. I'll take Swift Approval who stays further than this & I'm thinking he may try to grab the lead & play catch me if you can here, good run at Haydock LTO & has won on fast ground. 8.10 I was looking at having a poke each way at All You with de Sousa up for O'Meara but two have come out leaving seven & only two places & I'm less keen now, I'll leave this alone I think. 8.40 Orbit the Moon is a C&D winner but that was his last win nearly three years back & 20 odd runs ago. Adiator ran a close 2nd on her return at Beverley over a furlong less & 2lb lower, should run well but stall 10 is a negative. I like Be Lucky for this, seems to go best on fast ground & likes to be up near the pace so box 1 is a plus, quite well handicapped too. Bet Statsminister 5/1 Swift Approval 11/2 Be Lucky 5/1 1pt trixie plus 3 x 2pt singles = 10pts staked, Bet365 BOG Rio

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I've just watched the 4.30 at Ayr when Mowgli turns up & we set off for Ponty. Jessie K was dreadful, the form sums it up....

Dwelt, behind, struggling halfway, soon beaten, tailed off
This one is going to take a serious amount of the O'Meara magic methinks. Now what did I say?
Blue Jacket's been running reasonably well lately for minor honours & if you put my arm up my back & forced me to back one it would probably be her.
Takes it up at the furlong pole & is home for all money & then tries to hand it away close home but holds on by a head at 4/1. Further adding to the Direct Racing affair is Scrutiny being declared for tomorrows 4.00 at Beverley, again not a peep on the website, however I would be gobsmacked if he runs unless some unexpected rain comes along because the ground is good to firm & he isn't supposed to be going anywhere near that sort of conditions with his feet. I realize that this is a busy stable that's going places but it's a bit much that they can't be bothered to put anything up when people have paid good money, even if it's a small amount, I can't help but feel that having landed races at the highest level last season we're not wanted anymore. It might be as well to remember that rising stars can fall to Earth even quicker. We get to Pontefract in good time but on the way Mowgli tells me that Martini Time must go well in the first. He less keen when I say that he'll be lucky to get even money & that on my numbers he'd do well to trouble a pensioner on a zimmer frame. Having had a look at them he decides to go with the unraced Little Swift but to my eyes she's nothing much, not very big & dull in her coat. The pick of the newcomers is Bint Aldar but even she looks like she could benefit from the run. The best looking is Popsies Joy for me & a bet is struck at 7/1. She flatters turning into the short straight but fails to find anything. Atzeni seems to have been scrubbing at Little Swift with no success for a long way but then she runs on for 4th late in the day. There are three from Middleham Park in here & I'm thinking one of those has won but the winner is Unilit who gets up on the bob in a very tight photo. The number of 64 for this ties in with the 60, 48 & 60 again from her first three runs & makes me think that this race is nothing special although Bint Aldar keeps on quite well for 5th & the "Nearest Finish" comment in the form & she'll know more NTO. As for Martini Time he's cooked before the turn in & the stench is so foul that the stewards spring into action but it's the usual "No explanation" tripe, which incidentally they've also trotted out for the stable's stone last at 7/4f in the first at Ayr too, why do they even bother. We go off to look at them for the 2m 1f+ handicap & I'm taken by Statsminster who's seriously big girl & makes some of these geldings look a bit titchy. Mowgli backs her & Point the Toes who's a 10yo & he seems to be chasing more old dears than Wayne Rooney lately. The start is right in front of us & Statsminster sets off to make all while Mowgli's chuntering because Point the Toes is out the back well off the pace which is not strong. Heading for the turn in & Statsminster is still in front but Handwork is pulling double just behind her & cruises past off the bend & looks to be strolling it which the low of 1.03 in running on Betfair would also indicate. Hang though what's this that's flying up the outside? It's the perennial bridesmaid Tuscan Gold landing his third win in 40 career starts having had 10 2nds & another 7 3rds. More chuntering from Mowgli about the never in it Point the Toes. He's narrowed the next down to Swift Approval which is mine & I'm thinking I may back this one again myself, Feeling Easy & Dawns Early Light. There's 15/2 on offer about Swift Approval which he dives in & takes before we go for a look which as I say is a bit odd but it seems may be contagious with events to follow. We return to the ring & the 15/2 is long gone but having had a bit on at 11/2 the 13/2 now on offer is still acceptable. He's muttering about backing the other two or just one of them, I'm trying to think of a way of splitting it between us but don't really fancy Feeling Easy myself. In the end we do nothing. Swift Approval can't get to the lead I was hoping for, chases the pace & stays on for a never dangerous 4th. Feeling Easy takes it easy & gets home a distant & never involved 7th. Dawns Early Light wins pulling a bus, I can't help but think that we've missed a trick here, if Mowgli shakes his head any harder it might fall off. He's been going on about backing this Making Shapes in the next where I was thinking I might do All You each way (Ooh er Mrs) & 4/1 pops up on the first show & he's straight in for a bet. This is where the "Bet first look later" contagion takes a grip because I nab that price too, well I'd expected 9/4 or 5/2 as well & it did look too big & neither of us are having the jolly which is Cyril for the Swift Approval team of Ryan/Gray. Having had a look & seen nothing to put us off we head back round to see that Making Shapes is now 3/1 & it looks like they may flip flop, at the off Cyril just shades it at 3's with Making Shapes 100/30. Shane Gray bounces Cyril out of the gate, never sees another runner & wins easiler, now why couldn't you do that a race earlier you &£$% Making Shapes is so bad I'm checking to see that he's trained by Peter Chapple-Hyam & not you know who. Perhaps Chapple-Hyam is on board & putting up 15st over weight but it looks like Atzeni, the mood is a bit grim now. Frankly I could go home, Mowgli fancies one in the last though but not this next & then reverts to "Grab a Granny" mode & backs Orbit the Moon. Be Lucky goes off 3/1f but there are now four non runners. Up the straight & Orbit the Moon strikes the front with Be Lucky coming after him, one of us is winning. It's me with Be Lucky a head to the good & at least the posted bet is getting a return even if there's bound to be a rule 4. Half joking I point out we could have done the forecast which paid £11.10 for the exacta & just over £3 more for the CSF. We go round to snap the winner coming in & the mood is lightened somewhat by the bloke in the winner's in a seriously dodgy outfit, it seems there's a copy of the Magna Carta on display just inside the doorway of the racecourse office & indeed on looking there is. I would think this bloke has got something to do with that because I can see no other excuse for dressing like this in a public place. Back to the front where Mowgli strikes a bet on Sleeping Apache. I'd looked at this & Jan van Hoof, I wasn't playing but there's 8/1 on offer & I've reverted to "Have a look" mode & Jan seems to have the required amount of legs & the head points the right way so I take the 8's. They're at the start & I say "Lets see what the predicted forecast is" A quick look at the Tote screen & it's £19 & change either way so I stick a small reverse exacta on, Mowgli decides on a saver on Jan van Hoof. They're loading & the outsider Furas is playing up, he's already dumped the jockey, they try without him but no, then the hood twice which has him rearing up & is snatched off, you can see on the screen he's soaked & the poor thing looks scared stiff. "Not fair on those already in" Says Mowgli, finally they lead him away, the horse not Mowgli & the last two walk in but now there's another kicking off. It's O'Meara's Scoreline, Josh Doyle gets off & the horse backs out & they go without that one too. Down the straight & Sleeping Apache & Jan van Hoof are bang there, Jan's the man & hits the front, the Apache nearly gets scalped by a late finsher for 2nd but holds on by a half. Corn in Egypt, we've both backed the last winner & bagged the exacta. There's a rule 4 of 15p for Scoreline but the other's an outsider & we collect, off to the Tote where the divi is £14.40 but with a fancied one out it seems fair enough & we split that & then it's away. We're on the M62 & I say "Just see what the CSF paid" He gets the phone out & then says "£42.06" Even now with a bit of a bonus you get kicked in the nuts, somebody ought to be asking that nice man Mr Done for a look at the Tote's books because some of these returns these days.... I shan't hold my breath. The rule 4 on Be Lucky's race cost me a point so 11pts back from 10pts staked, better than a loss. Singles etc W/R 10-45 Stakes 763.4pts Returns 759.38pts Profit/Loss -4.02pts Multiple bets Stakes 276pts Returns 170.89pts Profit/Loss -105.11pts Exacta/Trifecta -£4.80 The not sure what to call it but if it cops I’ll be on a beach somewhere with a cold drink in one hand & a hot blonde in the other bet Stakes 80.5pts Returns 35.15pts Profit/Loss -49.35pts Expenses £630 Not sure about Beverley tomorrow until a look later, York Friday/Saturday with another bumper crowd on the weekend I expect. Unilit Unilit_zps3iyrkmlm.jpg Statsminister Statsminister_zpstrzbytp4.jpg Orders & off Orders%20n%20Off_zpsecupmlji.jpg Be Lucky Be%20Lucky_zpsx8v3spat.jpg No need to dress up, just throw any old thing on Nice%20threads_zpsmayskfbb.jpg Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Having swerved Beverley where Scrutiny ran a decent 2nd on ground which would have been too lively for him it's off to York this afternoon. There are a pair of 2yo races one of which is the valuable seller which used to be run at the Ebor meeting, the rest of the card are the usual trappy handicaps four of which I have covered in a lucky 15 but one is now a non runner! 2.00 A 5th followed by a runner up would suggest that Secret Ambition is improving & I have him top on the clock with a 64 but that was from the debut run & a 49 at Donny after that would suggest that the progressive look might be misleading & that he may be one to take on. Kodimoor was a modest looking 5th on his debut at Catterick a week ago but he gets a 58 for that & is next best on my numbers. Scottish Command is close behind on 55 & looked green on his Leicester debut & he would be the appealing one from those that have run with the Fahey pair not pulling any trees up on their first starts. It wouldn't need a world beater from the newcomers to take this & the obvious one looks to be Kevin Ryan's Geno although having said that on breeding this 5f might be a bit sharp for that one. A look as always is needed. I haven't played in the 2.30 as yet, what I didn't know when I backed Maven at Beverley was that she was in foal, however it seems she has miscarried since but she must be fine or they wouldn't be running her here. 3.05 Valuable it may be but it's still a seller & they are a pretty ropey bunch. Pippin Street has a profile like Secret Ambition from the first, a 63 on soft at Ripon followed by a 44 on fast ground at Redcar, she may need a bit of cut. Smart Mover heads the numbers though with a 67 on fast also at Redcar LTO having clocked 43 on soft & then 49 on good to soft & at this point I would think I'd be backing this one with the progression & the apparent improvement on the faster ground. Not much else appeals actually with most of the rest showing little or nothing although Cliodhna ran a 34 in a better race at Windsor on debut & takes a hefty drop in class here. Again I'll have a look first. 3.40 Rex Imperator looks to be finding his feet again & is chucked in here on his old form, I'd usually be looking for an improving one for this but I can't really see one in the field & I'll take him more by default than anything. 4.10 I'd gone with Willbeme for this thinking that she was still on the upgrade & that she had the fast conditions that she likes but she's the non runner with the ground given has the reason :unsure I'm thinking I may back Gran Canaria Queen here, her form ties in with both Ridge Ranger & Jamesbo's Girl, the latter was poor LTO & the claim of Rachel Richardson would look to tilt the balance towards Gran Canaria Queen now. Links Drive Lady came back to form a week ago & will be a pound higher from tomorrow but she needs a career best under the 6lb pen. 4.40 Saved By the Bell is another of O'Meara's that seems to be coming to the boil. Not beaten far here LTO over 12f's & a pound lower than when winning here also at 12f's at this meeting last year which was the third leg of a hat trick. The progressive looking one is Trendsetter but he was off 75 when beaten in a Catterick class 5 & is off 87 now having run a good 3rd here at 2m+ & then won at Chester off 82, I'm not a fan of Chester form & that puts me off. 5.15 I think there's more to come this season from Gleese the Devil, still a maiden but has shown promise in most runs including when the penny dropped too late at 10f's at Beverley on his return, Sammy Bell can claim 3lbs & is one going places for me. Bet Rex Imperator 3/1 Willbeme non runner Saved By the Bell 8/1 Gleese the Devil 9/2 1pt lucky 15 Bet365 BOG Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Some good grub in the Fox and Roman & then across the track (fast ground) & into a sunny, warm & not too crowded course. We decide that Scottish Command is the pick for the opening 2yo maiden & head off to back him at 9/2. Secret Ambition goes off at 13/8f & can't hit the frame, unfortunately neither can Scottish Command who beats one home, not a good start. The winner is the debut making Rosina, the only filly in the eight strong field & she wins quite well clocking a 78 whilst doing so. Now having had a pop at York from two Saturdays ago when we had one screen instead of the usual two & no action from other meetings then I must praise them for yesterdays efforts, not only do we had the other screen back they show some away action too :eek That's right, while the first race is being run the second screen has the cricket on from the Oval, God give me strength!!! Mowgli has a poke at Kinema & Monaleen in the next, they're 4th & 6th. Somebody's woke up & taken the cricket off now. We have a look at the 2yo's for the seller, I've convinced myself that Smart Mover is winning this but when we get back he's 5/4 with Pippin Street on the drift, he goes 11/8 & I back him & get my just deserts when he is headed a furlong out & fades to 5th. Lady Wulfuna wins, form figures of two fat ladies but the first 8th had her clocking 54, off putting is the minus 24 for the last run though, here she gets a 73. Rex Imperator is on the slide for the next & ends up 5/1, the market has it right because from the off he is fighting for his head & throwing it around so much he looks like he's in danger of twisting it off. In the end he does quite well to be 4th, O'Meara wins the race anyway with Regal Dan & cheers Mowgli up because he's backed him. Ten minutes or so later he's happy again because he's backed Rembrandt van Rijn down at Sandown & he's got up close home having looked like he was boxed in & going nowhere. Back outside where we are both going to back Gran Canaria Queen. She's 7/1 & we are hunting for better when I spot some 15/2 & nip in for a bet with Mowgli following me, however the slip says 7/1. Having had a pop at the bookies more than once it's time for a bit of credit when due, not only does he change my slip to 15/2 he gives Mowgli the price as well, ten out of ten for Wensleydale Racing :clap Having said that it'll only count if she wins, Mowgli backs Ridge Ranger in a saver & we grab a spot to watch. Rachel Richardson bounces Gran Canaria Queen out in front & sets off to make all which worries Mowgli because she could do too much but it looks to me like Rachel's got her settled & at a nice pace. Heading to one out & she says go win it & gets a response, Jamesbo's Girl is mentioned briefly but she can't go with her & the danger is Love Island but Rachel's rode a peach & to much shouting she has enough left to win by a neck. That's better & I even have time to scoot down the other end to get a picture. I get back & Mowgli's backing Trendsetter & after a session with the head in the paper a bit on Ridgeway Storm. I'm thinking I may back Saved By the Bell again but he's only 9/2 now, having said that I'm daft enough to back one at 11/8 so... I leave him alone. Trendsetter disappoints but I'm shouting again when Saved By the Bell takes it up in the final furlong & then Mowgli realizes Ridgeway Storm is the one after him. He can't get there though & I have another winner. If Gleese the Devil can land the last I could still have a decent return from the lucky 15. He can't but runs a fair race for 3rd. Mowgli backs another winner in Sellingallthetime & then has a chunter because he's taken 7/2 & it goes off at 9/2. We head off for the car with the air now feeling heavy & the threatened rain looks sure to arrive sooner rather than later but not before we are safely aboard. Saved By the Bell returns 19pts with effectively two singles because of the no show of Willbeme. Singles etc W/R 10-45 Stakes 763.4pts Returns 759.38pts Profit/Loss -4.02pts Multiple bets Stakes 291pts Returns 189.89pts Profit/Loss -101.11pts Exacta/Trifecta -£4.80 The not sure what to call it but if it cops I’ll be on a beach somewhere with a cold drink in one hand & a hot blonde in the other bet Stakes 80.5pts Returns 35.15pts Profit/Loss -49.35pts Expenses £650 I'm typing this with the light on it's that gloomy, the wet stuff has arrived with more to follow, the card at York today is what I would describe as fiendish, I've taken two against the field in every race bar the 2yo race at 4.55 & done two stabs at the perm bet. Other than me perhaps backing one in the 2yo race that's it for today, I've looked elsewhere but nothing takes my fancy. 2.00 I've deserted Pearl Castle who won this for me last year & taken Aperix who's done well since switching from twig hopping & may have more to come yet, ground should not be a problem whatever it is now. The second pick is Innocent Touch who's run well over C&D the last twice & should be thereabouts again, similar comments about the ground for him too. 2.35 I think Richard Fahey may have a decent day so I've taken Withernsea here who was a bit unlucky LTO & will like the step back to 7f's & won't mind the rain too. The other one is Twin Appeal who's looked progressive last year & the start of this season & might not be finished improving yet, seems to go on any ground this one. 3.10 Baltic Knight won this two years ago & finished well in first time blinkers in a 7f Group 3 LTO, eased in class & back to a mile here. Wannabe Yours disappointed when last seen in a Newmarket Group 2 last September but had landed a hat trick before that with the last one a Group 3. Goes on any & down in class, will either win or totally bomb I suspect, we'll see. 3.45 Scalzo gets stuffed up 18lbs for bolting up at Haydock, he's bought by Hamdan after & backed by me here, quick everybody lay the hell out of him :p Twilght Son is a perfect three & impressed at Newmarket on his return, up just the 9lbs but more to come I hope. 4.20 Correggio is well handicapped & has run quite well both starts this season & is worth a go at a fair price but wouldn't want it to get too testing. Myfiftythreedotcom is still a maiden after 15 starts but has shown promise more than once including when nearest finish at a furlong less LTO, cheekpieces back on to help 4.55 There's another Johnston runner in this 2yo race in Miniaturist that's gone 2nd,2nd & clocked a 76 (top rated) on good FTO & then 25 on good to soft on his second run. Top of the Bank is similar, 59 on good then 20 on good to soft in the same race as Miniaturist & I'm against both of these. Sandahl ran to 62 on good to soft on debut & may be the best of those to have run however I'm thinking a newcomer may take this. Tasleet is the obvious one for Hamdan/Haggas/Hanagan but seems to be on the slide this morning. Worlds His Oyster cost £110k & needs a look at as do them all before any bet is struck. 5.30 I'll have another pop with Harwoods Volante who's back down in trip again here. The other one is Kenny the Captain who won two starts back ran alright off today's mark after & now gets 7lb knocked off by Rachel Richardson, ground should be fine. 1. Aperix 11/1 2. Twin Appeal 10/1 3. Baltic Knight 11/1 4. Twilight Son 4/1 5. Correggio 11/1 6. Harwoods Volante 15/2 Cover these in six doubles, six trebles, three fourtimers & the sixtimer using the following plan. 16 bets@ 0.25pts each way = 8pts staked, Betvictor BOG. 1. Innocent Touch 8/1 2. Withernsea 8/1 3. Wannabe Yours 10/3 4. Scalzo 7/2 5. Myfiftythreedotcom 12/1 6. Kenny the Captain 12/1 Cover these in six doubles, six trebles, three fourtimers & the sixtimer using the following plan. 16 bets@ 0.25pts each way = 8pts staked, Bet365 BOG. [TABLE=class: cms_table_cms_table_cms_table_cms_table_cms_table, width: 453]

[TR] [TD]1[/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]2[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]3[/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]4[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]5[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]6[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD]X[/TD] [TD]X [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Thursday evening I'm sat outside for only the second time this year with a cold one & thinking it's about bloody time. I took this snap of the bee getting busy & thought it might make a change from the horsey shots, I do hope that wasn't the Summer :hope Bee_zpsgdzon1jt.jpg Back to the Gee Gees, Gran Canaria Queen Gran%20Canaria%20Queen_zps9h4rrtqc.jpg Saved By the Bell Saved%20By%20the%20Bell_zps5glu7duz.jpg Rio.

Having logged on this morning to see the change in the site & fiddled my way round a bit I settled down to do a post. Having got a fair way in I’m less than impressed when I get the “Unable to contact sever” message & the whole lot disappears into the ether. I’ve now calmed down & I’m writing this in word to cut & paste which I probably ought to have been doing anyway. So... We get to our usual parking spot & the good news is it’s not raining, the next good news is the fish from the Blue Fin is in top form but the chips are a bit below standard. It’s then across the track at the 10f point where it’s really rather soggy but not so much so crossing just after the winning post. The going is good to soft, good in places with a few non runners & it’s down to business. Mowgli wants to back Pearl Castle so we head off up the back of the stands & it’s clear that it’s going to be heaving, there are long queues at the beer & food outlets & there’s 45 minutes before the first. Through to the front where he secures his bet & then back down to the parade ring where I intend to stay until the 2yo race at least. It’s overcast & the air is heavy, the runners for the first appear & several have got a sweat on already. Mowgli’s also backed Ralphy Lad in this so we have four running between us. Out come the lady amateurs & away they go. Pearl Castle chucks in a shocker & beats one home, prompting the stewards to ask why? “No explanation” says the trainer, what a shock. Ralphy Lad is a place in front of him, the trainer is a little more forthcoming... “Didn’t like the ground” Innocent Touch hits the front heading to two out, can he last home? No he gets caught in the last 50 yards & is 3rd. The good news is that one of the two that pass him is Apterix & he wins at 12/1 so a bonus point from the BOG. We both have Twin Appeal in the next, I have Withernsea & I think Mowgli has backed So Beloved too. Twin Appeal’s turn to stink the place out with no excuse offered. So Beloved also disappoints & O’Meara blames the ground. Withernsea does best in 8th if you can call that best & the wind is soon out of the sails. It gets no better after the next when Wannabe Yours who we are both on beats one home, Nicky Mackay reports that he ran too free. A place in front is Yuften who Mowgli’s also had a poke at, three races, six horses & all run dreadful, he’s not pleased. I’d like Baltic Knight to get in the first three to lock in some sort of return but he manages to come 4th. One of those in front of him is the winner Top Notch Tonto who was just about 9l’s behind on their last run, the stewards are really busy today. Brian Ellison tells them that the softer ground & the first time paint rollers are what’s worked the oracle today. I’m now beginning to fear that the opening race winner is going to be wasted. Up next is the valuable 3yo 6f feature race which contains Mowgli’s big hope for the day Scalzo. I’ve got this one as well along with Twilight Son but we are less than pleased to see Scalzo walking round the parade ring with it swinging in the breeze & something has clearly taken his eye, what it is though I’m not sure because none of the three fillies in the field are anywhere near him. This doesn’t stop the price dropping off a cliff, he starts at 7/4 having touched 13/8. He misses the break & is out the back, Hanagan is shoving by halfway & not a lot seems to be happening & he never gets in it. It says on the BHA site that there wasn’t a stewards enquiry but they still ordered a routine test after the trainer reported that Scalzo was unsuited by the going which as I’ve said was good to soft, good in places. If I’d been asking the questions I’d have been wanting to know how the beast dotted up the time before at Haydock on ground officially good to soft? Perhaps it was the good in places he didn’t like? More good news though, the skinny price on the jolly means that I get another extra point on the SP when Twilight Son wins in rather taking fashion. The bad news is I’ve now got two winners in the perm & they don’t line up so no return yet. Mowgli can’t believe one of my two in the next is Mfiftythreedotcom, he’s backed this somewhere & it was pretty ropey, he’s right it’s no better here. I can’t remember what he’s on but plenty want First Sitting for O’Meara who’s another backed into a skinny SP. I want Correggio to go with my other two winners & heading into the final furlong he’s hit the front. I’m urging him on & Mowgli chimes in with the “You’ve won this” I do wish he wouldn’t do that, it wouldn’t be the first time he’s said that & something’s arrived to nut mine. Oh look here comes First Sitting, keep going Correggio..... He does, by a neck & i’ve now got three winners in the perm & a win & place double locked away, if Harwoods Volante can do the business there’s more to come. First though we have the 2yo’s. I like Novinophobia, Mowgli googles this & tells me it’s the fear of having no wine, right, I’ve got that then. We both like Tasleet who’s a really good looking sort. He agrees that the pick of those that have had a run is probably Sandahl who’s got good to soft ground form from his debut run. Mowgli’s backed Top of the Bank but that’s a non runner due to the ground. The board showing the approximate odds by the parade ring shows 9/2 Tasleet & 6’s Novinophobia, I’m thinking I’ll back both to the same stake & we set off for the betting ring. It’s a madhouse, crammed to the gill’s with totally plastered halfwits, the floor is a sea of plastic cups, bottles & other rubbish. We’re surprised to see 9/1 on offer for Novinophobia, Tasleet is 9/2, I’m thinking now split the stake 75/25, he agrees & I back the pair for both of us. He then decides to back Mr Zoff at 22/1 as well. We stay up that end in case we win, I don’t like it, there’s that feeling that some drunken moron could stagger into me any moment, decide it’s my fault & start swinging, get them off please. Tasleet doesn’t seem to break that well, gets behind then when it’s too late the penny drops & he finishes well for 4th & the “Nearest finish” in the form line. Novinophobia seems to be going well enough until asked for a proper effort at two out & he finds nil. Mr Zoff is “Always behind” The winner is of course Sandahl & we are thinking we ought to have backed that, ah the 20/20 vision of hindsight. At least we avoided Johnston’s 5/2f Miniaturist who misses the places in 4th, no equiry but de Sousa reports that he “Ran greenly” Get down the other end sharpish or as sharp as we can in the circumstances. Mowgli’s backed Harwoods Volante along with Mon Brav each way, having stuck his head in the paper he gets on his phone & backs my other one Kenny the Captain who would get me a place double in the other perm if troubling the judge. What I need though is Harwoods to win. Off they go, Kenny the Captain is chasing the pace but fades out of it while Harwoods Volante moves smoothly up to chase the leader Best Trip heading to the final furlong. He then seems to lug in behind the leader, Phil Makin pulls him back out & gets to serious work, I’m imploring him to go past but he doesn’t seem to want to. Then in the shadow of the post he sticks his head in front & wins, well I think he’s won, Mowgli thinks so too but there’s a photo called, he has won by a head, phew. Mon Brav bags a place return in 3rd. We have to stay to watch the charity race because they’re not letting anybody back across the track until it’s been run. It’s won by a chap in his sixties on one he’s bred himself & trained by Tim Easterby, he gets a right reception when he comes back in but so do the placed ones too. Then it’s back across the track & off home. The four winners are all in the same perm & line up two double & two trebles, the stake on both totalled 16pts & a check later & it’s returned 366.12pts after a small rule 4 but with the two BOG prices kicking in. I’ll have that, you need a bit of luck with this sort of bet & I’ve had that alright. Singles etc W/R 10-45 Stakes 763.4pts Returns 759.38pts Profit/Loss -4.02pts Multiple bets Stakes 291pts Returns 189.89pts Profit/Loss -101.11pts Exacta/Trifecta -£4.80 The not sure what to call it but if it cops I’ll be on a beach somewhere with a cold drink in one hand & a hot blonde in the other bet Stakes 96.5pts Returns 401.27pts Profit/Loss +304.77pts Expenses £660 Doncaster was easy to swerve today with a poor card & wet weather, I’ll look at Beverley for Tuesday & then there are evening & day meetings at Ripon Weds/Thurs. Apterix going to post Apterix_zpscytoqrmu.jpg Top Notch Tonto Top%20Notch%20Tonto_zpsz6nixq6v.jpg Twilight Son Twilight%20Son_zpsulsducxf.jpg Correggio Correggio_zpshgsc0g9a.jpg Tasleet Tasleet_zpssqcgciai.jpg Rio.

No Beverley this evening & definitely no Thirsk this afternoon, feet up in front of the box & Ascot. I’ll swerve the Queen Anne & the St James’s Palace, although I can see Gleneagles getting turned over at skinny odds at some point but maybe not today. Coventry I have First Selection top on 118 from his Beverley win where he looked sure to be suited by this extra furlong. Yes he needs more on the bare form but then don’t they all at this stage of the season, he’s also 33/1 & I can’t let him go unbacked at that price with the Tote four places & a quarter the odds too. While the visual performance of Buratino looked good at Epsom the number was nothing much & the new Godolphin recruit is one to take on for me. Round Two clocked a 112 when winning a Curragh Listed race LTO which has him bang in this if he’s as good on faster ground having won soft & then good to soft that last start. War Department & Air Force Blue are similar in profile, one run one win in good style & numbers of 100 & 98 respectively which is smart for a first run. The unknown quantity is Finnegan from US trainer Wesley Ward. I’ll take War Department along with First Selection here. Kings Stand I’m a bit surprised to see G Force in this, I think he might be better at 6f’s & expected him to run Saturday, they’re saying he wouldn’t do both but he’s still in the Diamond Jubilee & it wouldn’t be a shock to see him run. Sole Power goes for the hat trick & seems to have his ground, however I’m not giving up on Muthmir who having gone too free at York FTO then went & won in France, should be spot on for this & goes on the ground. Windsor Castle I have Easton Angel who runs tomorrow as the faster 2yo seen in Britain & Ireland & a length behind her at Beverley was Opal Tiara who’s top in this on 126. If she can’t hit the first four at least I think I may bin the speed numbers & go back to the pin. Silver Wings won & then clocked 113 at Chester on good to soft but seems to have stalled progress wise in two runs since. Orvar clocked 112 on fast ground when winning on debut at Salisbury & should go well & Lathom also had 112 when 2nd to First Selection at Beverley. Soapy Aitken is unbeaten in two & ran to 109 at Windsor LTO Washington DC is consistent numbers wise with the best a 102 on easy ground LTO. There’s another Wesley Ward runner here with one run, one win to muddy the waters. Bets First Selection 3pts ew @ 33/1, four places, Tote War Department 10pts @ 9/1, Betvictor Muthmir 20pts @ 11/2, Paddy Power Opal Tiara 5pts ew @ 16/1, four places, Bet365, all BOG Rio

Not the greatest day yesterday, at about halfway in the Coventry First Selection gets involved in a barging match with several other runners which results in War Department almost getting knocked off his feet. He was just about in touch at the time but after that Queally eased him down & let him walk home. Buratino wins, again it looks visually impressive & the 100 awarded is his top number so far but not a world beaters rating for me. Muthmir’s 3rd beaten a short head & a neck at first glance looks a fair run but to get beaten by a 6yo, even one that’s improved a bit & won a Group 3 two runs back & a 9yo, albeit one that clearly likes the track is a tad disappointing. I can’t quite remember how Claire Balding worded it but the gist of it to me was “What was that K******d doing on the US runner Ruby Notion going off at that speed” He’s never keeping that up & got swamped by those staying on off a suicidal early pace. Watching the race you’d expect a fast time but actually it was 0.74s slower than standard & was the slowest race again the standard times on the day, even the 2m 4f handicap was only 0.52s slow. Opal Tiara actually didn’t run that badly & stayed on well late on without getting near. I wouldn’t trust the form of this race an inch, the winner Washington DC’s sire Zoffany is in his first season with runners, he was top class at 6/7f’s as a 2yo & had some smart form at a mile at 3yo’s so there’s more than pure speed in the pedigree & he’d stay at least 6f’s for me which will have helped him here. The number for the winner was a fairly ordinary 97 for the class. No return then from 46pts staked Singles etc W/R 10-49 Stakes 809.4pts Returns 759.38pts Profit/Loss -50.02pts Multiple bets Stakes 291pts Returns 189.89pts Profit/Loss -101.11pts Exacta/Trifecta -£4.80 The not sure what to call it but if it cops I’ll be on a beach somewhere with a cold drink in one hand & a hot blonde in the other bet Stakes 96.5pts Returns 401.27pts Profit/Loss +304.77pts Expenses £660 Wednesday Queen Mary I’ve no rating for Wesley Ward’s Acapulco who heads the market but I’m suspecting/hoping that the reason that she’s so short is that Ryan Moore is on top. She’s had one run on dirt at Churchill Downs at 4.5f’s in a maiden where she was rushed up to lead, headed going to the final furlong & dropped away to finish a seven & three parts 3rd. She was getting weight from the front two as well & it hardly looks like Queen Mary winning form to me. Besharah is unbeaten in two clocking 85 in a class 4 maiden over C&D, the Windsor class 4 after was only 71 though. Easton Angel as I’ve said tops my numbers having clocked a smart 99 on soft on debut & then a 131 when impressive in the Hilary Needler, not sure about stall 1 though? Deliza is another unbeaten filly & gets a 118 from a Listed race at York. Rah Rah is also two from two & has a 115 from Chester on good to soft LTO. I’m thinking the winner comes from one of those last four, I’m hoping it’s Easton Angel. The other Ascot bet is Free Eagle in the Prince of Wales’s. He’s clearly a bit fragile but has smart form already & could be even better has a 4yo. The 3rd over C&D last October is good form to say it was on heavy & the fast ground should hold no fears, not had a run but surely will be primed to go FTO. The Grey Gatsby hasn’t found last year’s smart form yet & was quite disappointing LTO, if he bounces back he’d be a big danger. The one I fear most is Ectot, He’s also back from a similar break having pulled away any chance in the Arc, rattled off a sixtimer before that but not at this class & on ground nowhere near as fast as today but that’s not to say he won’t go on it. Hard to get a a handle on the Japan raider Speilberg but he will go on the ground for sure. Going to Ripon this evening with Mowgli where I have a lucky 15 & some 2yo’s to look at. The opener is an apprentice race where all the jockeys haven’t yet had a winner & there’s a fair old difference in experience, Rhain Ingram for instance has had 77 rides on the aw & turf with 10 2nds & 11 3rds & the lad deserves a break for persevering, he’s on last year’s winner of this Fathom Five who’s 5lb lower here but last year he was in form & he’s an 11yo now & seems to have lost the plot. Mitch Godwin on the other hand has had just four rides with a 2nd & a 3rd so far, he though is on Bondi Beach Babe who looks quite progressive at a low level having got off the mark at Catterick over 5f’s three runs back & then being runner up twice back at Catterick over 6f’s & Beverley at 5f’s. Not beaten far both times the latter off the same mark as here & should go well again. I had Encantar a bit of a good thing in the 2yo maiden having posted a good number in a class 2 at Musselburgh LTO but sore shins have ruled her out tonight. This means Penny Pot Lane is top on a reasonable 75 from Catterick LTO & I may go with her. There are a few with marks in the 50’s one of which is David’s Duchess with a 52 from a debut 4th at Redcar & she’s bagged the plum box in 15 she was close up at Redcar so she may take advantage. As usual I’ll have a look first. Go Sakhee is a C&D winner which I like here & wears first time blinkers, needs a PB but is only a 4yo so should be more to come. Red Charmer has a 6lb pen & also needs a PB but has had 27 runs & is exposed. Ribblehead & Imshivalla have yet to show much this year. Cactus Valley has come out. I’m torn between Russian Heroine who has the C&D win from LTO which I like but took eight goes to win & Red Tycoon who also had a few goes before winning in some style at Ayr two runs back & then was just held in a similar race to this at Haydock LTO. Red Tycoon has the rail draw but then both of these may be held up & need a gap, I’ll take Red Tycoon. The last race can go to Tamayuz Magic but he’s the choice by default has much has anything. He seems to be the only one in any sort of form, the rest are exposed or running poorly while he won well at Newcastle at 10f’s & the runner up has won since. Good 3rd back at a mile & goes up to 12f’s tonight which ought to suit. Bets Easton Angel 20pts @ 6/1 Betfair Sportsbook Free Eagle 25pts @ 7/2 Coral Bondi Beach Babe 7/2 Go Sakhee 5/2 Red Tycoon 3/1 Tamayuz Magic 85/40 1pt Lucky 15 Betvictor, all BOG Rio

A day of mixed fortunes, I had a bit of good luck & a spot of bad luck & a dollop of rank bad betting. Things don’t get off to a flyer & I end up with a serious amount of egg on the face when Acapulco wins the Queen Mary. The bad luck here is that Wesley Ward replaces the typical “Gates open, go all guns blazing pilot” with one with a brain whose riding out of his skin at the moment in Ryan Moore. As soon as I saw he’d got Acapulco settled I was thinking I’m in bother here. Take nothing away from Easton Angel though she beat everything else hollow & could have done no more. I would agree with Paul Mulrennan that it would have been interesting had they been drawn closer together but I still don’t think she would have won. Acapulco clocks 122 for this meaning Easton Angel scored a 115, however I’m a little dubious about things here. On Tuesday the slowest time against the standard was the 0.74s under for the last race, three of the six races were faster than the standard on the day. No water is supposed to have been put on the track & yesterday despite the going being changed after the second race to good to firm, firm in places which would indicate that the ground was faster than the first day not one race broke standard. The nearest was the Prince of Wales’s stakes which was 0.07s slow. The slowest was the Duke of Cambridge at 3.80s but there were only six runners, not a deal of early pace & a shock result. The last two races were the 30 runner Royal Hunt Cup & the 17 runner Sandringham handicap, both on the straight mile & both under standard by 1.50s & 2.20s respectively. I’m not having it, John Gosden was joking before the Prince of Wales’s that he’d like to have sneaked onto the track & turned the taps on, looking at the times I’d not be surprised to learn somebody had! According to the BHA site 5mm’s was put on the whole track after racing yesterday & I await the times today with great interest. The good luck arrives in the Prince of Wales’s. Pat Smullen rides a peach of a race on Free Eagle & turning in is in prime position to take the leader while The Grey Gatsby gets held in by Western Hymn & there’s more traffic problems further back. Smullen takes it up & sets sail for home, Spencer gets out on the Grey Gatsby & is off after him & reeling him in, He needs the line, I need the line, where’s the line? He hits the line & has won, I think so, Simon Holt thinks so, the camera follows The Grey Gatsby & on the replay Simon’s now not so sure & neither am I either. The result comes, he’s held on, phew!! In front on the day there, Mowgli arrives, he was on the Grey Gatsby, we watch the Hunt Cup & set off for Ripon. He’s said he isn’t playing in the first but backs Desire at 6’s, it drifts to 8/1 & is 4th. Bondi Beach Babe runs well for 2nd but is never getting to the well backed Lazy Days in Loule who provides Jason Nuttall with a first career win, well done. We have a look at the 2yo’s. I like the look of Ponty Royal & Whispering Soul, so does Mowgli. Then Rock of Monaco walks in & she’s really nice too, what to do? I split my stake & back all three at 10/1, 16/1 & 20/1, Mowgli does the same. Whispering Soul does the best in 4th, The winner is Penny Pot Lane who after the defection of Encantar is top rated on my numbers & I’m in chunter mode now. Mowgli doesn’t like Go Sakhee in the next, he had backed Cactus Valley but that’s come out, we have a look & head for the ring where he intends backing Ribblehead but this one is now the jolly & 7/4. Go Sakhee is 5/2, I still fancy him & have a top up. Mowgli backs one & I’m half expecting it to be one of the others but it’s Ribblehead at 7/4 who then shortens up some more. Two out & I’m in front & going well, two strides later & it’s full on reverse. Red Charmer sweeps through & looks all over the winner, the 1.02 in running on betfair would also seem to think plenty thought so too which includes Mowgli. Close home it all changes & Ribbleshead gets up by a neck. We both have the next between Red Tycoon & Russian Heroine, I’m on the first Mowgli backs the latter at 3/1 & then she goes out to as long as 9/2 while mine is well backed. Red Tycoon gets trapped on the near rail but isn’t good enough anyway while Russian Heroine sees clear daylight & the rest see her backend as she scoots clear in the last furlong. We both back something in the maiden, mine was 2nd & I can’t remember what he had but it wasn’t the winner. I need Tamayuz Magic in the last to get a bit of the lucky 15 stake back & he needs him for the trixie he’d had before setting off with Russian Heroine & the non runner. Halfway down the straight & despite wandering around a bit & taking an age to get by the leader he finally gets on top in the last furlong & looks like winning (1.20 on betfair) then Lady Clitico arrives in the last 50 yards & nuts him. Long faces all round & time to go home. The two Ascot singles return 112.5pts for 45pts staked. The lucky 15 returns nowt, a few “Bad Betty’s” in there on reflection. Singles etc W/R 11-51 Stakes 854.4pts Returns 871.88pts Profit/Loss +17.48pts Multiple bets Stakes 306pts Returns 189.89pts Profit/Loss -116.11pts Exacta/Trifecta -£4.80 The not sure what to call it but if it cops I’ll be on a beach somewhere with a cold drink in one hand & a hot blonde in the other bet Stakes 96.5pts Returns 401.27pts Profit/Loss +304.77pts Expenses £660 Ascot Thursday A low key day today Norfolk I gave King of Rooks a 102 for the win in the National stakes at Sandown & the form has been franked with Buratino winning the Woodcote & the Coventry & Areen & Steady Pace 2nd & 3rd in the Windsor Castle. However I have Log Out Island clocking a 113 on debut over C&D & he had Burantino well behind him there too. Should be more to come & he’s worth a bet to turn King of Rooks over with Paddy Power offering a free bet if 2nd or 3rd. One of the lesser races at the meeting is the Tercentenary stakes but it’s still a Group 3 & the eye gets drawn to Don Camillo from Dermot Weld’s. He doesn’t really send them out here for a day out for the owner’s & when you look at the form he’s had three runs on the aw at Dundalk winning the middle one & really he’d have a stack to find on grass for the first time. However this wouldn’t be the strongest Group 3 I’ve ever seen & at 33/1 it’s worth a small poke at. The other bet today is Portage in the 5.00 Promising 2yo & won a big field maiden on his second start, didn’t get the run on the race on his return & with a bit more luck in running from a good draw in 29 he can run well. Bets Log Out Island 35pts @ 2/1 Don Camillo 3pts ew @ 33/1, both Paddy Power Portage 7pts @ 14/1 Ladbrokes, all BOG. Rio

Bit strapped for time today. If I’m a little disappointed by Log Out Island getting beat imagine how Richard Hannon feels having been told by just about everybody that it was a two horse race but Log Out & King of Rooks could only manage to be 2nd & 3rd to Waterloo Bridge. It would seem that if O’Brien ran the stable cat with Moore on at the moment he’d make a race of it. To be fair the stewards asked about the improvement & to be even more fair Aidan trotted out a right list. Drop in trip, faster ground, fast pace, produced late & reapplication of a tongue strap, take your pick from that little lot. The good news is that the stake on Log Out Island is only lent for the moment as I get a free bet which I am using today. Don Camillo made a good move heading to the turn in but couldn’t go with them when asked, he was 33/1 & I’ve had far worse runs from more than a few at much shorter than him. Speaking of which Portage!! Not for one moment did this beast ever looked like getting involved, backed to 7/1 from twice the price & runs like it’s legs were tied together. With regard to the times Mowgli informs me that there was a strong headwind on Wednesday which would go some way to explaining the slower than expected timings. Time Test was 1.95s faster than standard yesterday & is clearly one going places having got them strung out like washing. I’ve added the 35pts stake from the first yesterday so 48pts down in total. Singles etc W/R 11-54 Stakes 902.4pts Returns 871.88pts Profit/Loss -30.52pts Multiple bets Stakes 306pts Returns 189.89pts Profit/Loss -116.11pts Exacta/Trifecta -£4.80 The not sure what to call it but if it cops I’ll be on a beach somewhere with a cold drink in one hand & a hot blonde in the other bet Stakes 96.5pts Returns 401.27pts Profit/Loss +304.77pts Expenses £660 Another low key day today. The Albany has two Wesley Ward runners & one from France so no ratings for them. Miss Moneypenny has a high number from her Windsor win but didn’t get near that LTO, I’m thinking I need to revisit my calculations at some point. The Hannon pair are again well fancied Palenville has a 109 from Newmarket but Hughes is on Illuminate who scored a 101 on debut. I’m having a bit each way though on Jersey Breeze who clocked 110 when winning LTO & she has a high draw which should help. The free bet goes on Ervedya in the Coronation stakes. European 1000 Guineas form usually holds sway here. Lucida brings the best of the English Guineas form to the table having been caught close home there, not entirely straightforward this one & might just not see out a true run mile. Found will stay, in fact I think she needs a bit further now & she’s not returned in peak form, disappointed on her return but that was on heavy & better when beaten a half in the Irish 1000 on good but still gives me the feeling that 10f’s at least would suit more now. Ervedya was beaten on merit by Found in the Marcel Boussac last October but she seems to have improved over the Winter & having landed a good trial on her return she quickened up well to win the French Guineas. Not raced on ground this fast yet but I see no reason why it wouldn't help rather than hinder & I’ll go with her. Bets Jersey Breeze 5pts ew @ 16/1 Bet365 Ervedya 35pts @ 9/2 Paddy Power, free bet, both BOG Rio

Down up, down up, consistent or what? Jersey Breeze breaks well & runs alright for a long way but curls up a bit tamely in the last furlong. Ervedya did the business though & just how I hoped she would, held up, came late & led close home, Soumillon said he was lucky the gap came when it did. The stake from the free bet is not returned but the 157.5pts back is most welcome. Singles etc W/R 12-56 Stakes 912.4pts Returns 1029.38pts Profit/Loss +116.98pts Multiple bets Stakes 306pts Returns 189.89pts Profit/Loss -116.11pts Exacta/Trifecta -£4.80 The not sure what to call it but if it cops I’ll be on a beach somewhere with a cold drink in one hand & a hot blonde in the other bet Stakes 96.5pts Returns 401.27pts Profit/Loss +304.77pts Expenses £660 A run up to Redcar today, Mowgli’s going I think, I look forward to his reaction when we drive through the graveyard to get to the car park. A single at Ascot & a couple of trixie plus singles at Redcar with two races with two selections. 2.05 I liked the look of Blue Humor on debut at York & was a tad disappointed he couldn’t win at Newcastle after that but the time was good meaning he’s well clear of those with a run on 94 & he wasn’t beaten far. If he runs to that here it’s hard to see those that have run reaching that level & it would take a smart newcomer to beat him. The likeliest one would be Donjuan Triumphant from Richard Fahey’s or perhaps Tim Easterby’s Silver Sands. A look first as usual. 3.15 Donncha has won two of his last three, up another 4lb for the last win & needs a PB but still only a 4yo but I’m just wondering if he’d be a bit better on easier ground. King Torus is chucked in on some of his old form & Josh Doyle knocks off another 7lbs, right trip/ground &he ought to be winning this really. Intisaab could give him a race from the same stable, still on a fair mark Shelley Birkett takes 3lb off & trip/ground ok too. I’ll cover the O’Meara pair in this. 3.50 Flicka’s Boy is consistent but perhaps a shade high in the weights & class. Stanghow tries for the hat trick under a 6lb pen, also up in class a bit & might be a bit lively underfoot for him. Soie D’Leau was just caught by Stanghow at Beverley & there shouldn’t be much between them again here. Won a weak maiden since & has been stuck up 10lbs for that which I think is a bit harsh. The interesting one for me is Penny Royale who won at Musselburgh on fast ground at the trip three runs back, ran ok off today’s mark here after & then was a good 2nd to Russian Heroine at Ripon over 6f’s & that one won well back there the other day. Back to 5f’s on fast here & needs a bit more but may just find it & is the pick. Ascot 4.20 The Aussies are after this again with Wandjina & Brazen Beau & it’s the latter for me, top class at this trip down under & this has been the plan since clobbering the best they’ve got in mid March. Gordon Lord Byron hasn’t been at his best in two goes this year & the one to give the Aussie most to do could be the other Irish raider Mustajeeb from Dermot Weld, been running/winning over further but won a Curragh Group 2 on his return in fair style, might not want it too fast though. The best we can muster on ratings is Tropics who won a Listed race on his return & is decent but up to this class, methinks not. 4.30 If he could run up to his smart aw form then this lot wouldn’t see which way Frontier Fighter goes in this claimer but he’s nowhere near as good on grass, however this is a ropey bunch in the main & he still may beat them anyway. One who may still have more to come is the 3yo Sugar Lump who looked fair last year & ran ok FTO this term but seems to have gone backwards in two runs since. Well down in class here though & goes on fast ground so worth a chance he can get involved at a reasonable price. The maiden at 5.10 looks between Red Harry & the Dream Fast. Red Harry’s best bit of form was on good to soft on his last run in September, the yards only had nine runners this year though & have yet to get a place never mind a win. The Dream Fast hasn’t really matched his debut effort at Wolves in December & was not really involved when 4th over C&D on fast LTO but the rest of these make no appeal on what they’ve done so far & he may be the bet by default, we’ll see. 5.35 Jebediah Shine won four days ago & carries a 6lb pen which Josh Doyle’s claim takes care of but I suspect this one is better with longer between runs. Thesme cost a lot for this stable & has run quite well in a couple of maidens, 64 is not a bad mark to go handicapping off & he’s worth a go. Milady Eileen is up 3lbs for a win but eased in grade here & must go well she’s the second pick here. Bets King Torus 4/1 Sugar Lump 9/2 Milady Eileen 5/2 1pt trixie plus 3 x 2pt singles, Skybet Intisaab 13/2 Penny Royale 11/2 Thesme 6/1 1pt Trixie plus 3 x 2pt singles Betvictor Brazen Beau 25pts @ 7/2 Betfair Sportsbook, all BOG Rio

A round up of yesterday later because it’s run out to Ponte Carlo this afternoon with the Mowgli’s. A single & a trixie plus are the order of the day. 2.10 Some 2yo’s fillie’s to start with where Dawaa is probably the form pick having seemed to improve on her Thirsk debut 4th when a length 2nd at Newcastle over 6f’s LTO. However I have the time there pretty slow & I think she’s worth taking on here. Big Sky wouldn’t have to improve a lot on her Goodwood debut to get competitive here & the stiff track should suit, I’m thinking stall 10 is not great but at the last meeting wide draws were not that much of a handicap. Fahey runs three & I have Sunnua top rated from a debut 3rd at Hamilton on good to soft over 5f’s, extra furlong should suit here & it’s been raining & they’ve been watering. Kiri Sunrise has Tony Hamilton on board & on jockey bookings this would seem first choice but I remember Bimbo winning here last year at a big price when Fahey had other more fancied runners in the market. I’ll probably play after the usual look. 3.10 Abbey Angel rather let the side down on her return at Doncaster a couple of weeks ago but on refelection it was quite a warm race there & that should have blown any cobwebs off, She won well here at a mile last season & was placed on good to soft so if it is a bit easier than expected it shouldn’t be a problem. She’s the single today. 3.40 Any ease in the ground would help Gatewood & he’s probably the form choice but he’s never been one to hang your hat on for me & was pretty awful on his return. Red Galileo was another let down at York & ought to have won more than the one race in 16 that he has so far. Might not have stayed the 1m 6f’s LTO but more likely he’s a dodgepot. Only Orsenfoolsies & Nancy From Nairobi are both decent but not at this level & are flying a bit high here for me. That leaves me with Connecticut who was progressive last season when landing a hat trick & then running a belting 3rd in the Melrose, last run off 104 was a step too far but if he’s ready to roll FTO there should be more this season from this 4yo. 4.10 I shall be most annoyed if Longshadow fails to show up here having run in the last at Ascot yesterday but he’s still in as I write & I can see him coming out before the off which to me would need looking at because first off there would be a rule 4 & more importantly can you really ask a horse to run 2m 6f’s, travel 200 or so miles & then run again at 2m 2f’s less than 24 hours later? Why don’t we hand the animal rights people some more ammo to fire? Anyway Tuscan Gold did it well enough here at a furlong less than two weeks back & up 4lb he ought to be thereabouts again. Wouldn’t surprise if Awaywiththegreys runs well though if the ground has eased a bit although a mark of 85 is hardly chucked in for a handicap debut on the flat. Tuscan Gold for me. 4.40 Arethusa was progressive as a 2yo & won a Goodwood handicap off 5lb on her last start. Probably flying a bit high when upped to 10f’s & Listed class back at Goodwood on her return & the last run was ok down in class but squeezed for room at the wrong time at Sandown. This looks a bit easier race with La Dorotea not well handicapped having run a 4th in the 3yo mile aw championship & getting clobbered for it, coming down again but not enough yet for me. Pearl Earing’s ex Irish & was poor FTO for Karl Burke who’s stable isn’t firing at the moment. Two in the Pink was stuck up 10lbs for a win two runs back & couldn’t handle that next time, the handicapper drops her a pound & I have to ask what’s the point? Atlantic Affair ran poorly at Haydock last evening, will she show & if she does & wins will the stewards ask any worthwhile questions? Bets Abbey Angel 25pts @ 7/2 Connecticut 6/4 Tuscan Gold 7/2 Arethusa 7/4 1pt trixie plus 3 x 2pt singles, all Paddy Power, all BOG Rio

Twenty miles or so from Redcar on Saturday & it’s lagging it down, showers were forecast but this is not a shower it’s heavy stuff & it’s showing no sign of easing by the time we get there. The idea is to park at the track & walk to the fish shop at the front where I’d had some of the best fish & chips I can remember having last October. Change of plan, I drive past the course & luckily find a spot not too far from the said fish shop. Having purchased lunch we leave the shop to find the rain has almost stopped & head for one of those shelters that look out to sea, it’s grey & grim, the wind farm in the water looks a bit eerie through the murk. Having told Mowgli how good the food was last time we are both rather disappointed, they’re not bad just average, ah well. Back to the car & off to the track. We get in & head down by the parade ring, it’s clear there’s been a fair amount of water come down & we are wondering about the going, Mowgli’s firing up his phone to check when the PA tells us it’s “Good to firm & watered”. At least for the moment it’s stopped. The 2yo’s parade & I decide I like the look of Donjuan Triumphant while Mowgli likes Receding Waves, we strike our bets & watch Receding Waves shorten up. Away they go & Blue Humor makes the running but at two out he’s not going on & I’m glad I’ve deserted him. Donjuan hits the front & it looks like I may be collecting but what’s this that’s after him? Receding Waves who leads near the line & wins by a head, Mowgli goes off to collect while I’m thinking at least I avoided the skinny one. The next race is dreadful & I’m not playing, neither is Mowgli he says & we watch the away racing on the big screen where they are showing not only Ascot but Newmarket & Ayr as well, take note please York. Little Lady Katie is running at Ayr, we watch her make all & hang on by a short head, we haven’t backed her but I’m pleased for Frank who’s been a bit disappointed with her this season. It’s only later that evening that I see she’s been disqualified for interference & placed 2nd. Just before the off Mowgli decides to back Sail With Sultana & our old mate Barry McUseless. Bazza is scrubbing away before the end of the back straight & beats just one home, Mowgli is less than chuffed. Apparently after this race they changed the going to good to firm, good in places & then again later to good after race five, neither of us heard this given out though. This will have helped Donncha in the next & he wins again, it shouldn’t really have hindered the chances of Intisaab & King Torus both of whom we’ve backed but the pair run shockers especially King Torus who if he ever gets his head in front again he won’t be carrying my money. We watch Snow Sky win down at Ascot with Pat Smullen riding them to sleep from the front, neither of us is a fan of Telescope & Mowgli thinks we’ve missed a trick there, he may be right but it’s too late now. Penny Royale is a non runner for me in the next, Mowgli goes to the little boys room & I head to the parade ring where number four really takes the eye. Sydney Ruffdiamond looks a picture. Sean Levy’s already had two winners & I decide to see if he’s having a third on Syd, Mowgli’s back & keen on Soie D’Leau but I think the hike for the maiden win is taking the mickey. We strike our bets & take a position on the rail. Sydney hits the front at the furlong pole & wins driven out by three parts, Soie D’Leau beats one home & I suspect the handicapper is more pleased than Mowgli, I wonder will he drop back in the weights as quick as he’s been bumped up, methinks not. We stay at the rail for the 4.00 at Newmarket where Mowgli’s backed Arthenus who’s held up well off the pace, makes a bit of late progress but is never really in it & he gets the “Nearest finish” in the form line that drives me scatty & I haven’t even backed him. It’s raining again. We stay there just long enough to watch the Diamond Jubilee. They can say what they like & yes Brazen Beau might not have won had he raced with them & not on his own on the near side but I still don’t think it helped & for me the best horse in the race has got beaten here. Now I’m not happy again. We get out of the rain & watch the claimer in the Betfred, the picture on the telly is poor & the commentary muted but that looks like Sugar Lump & Sean Levy that’s hosing up & yes it is. Happier again. I have the maiden down to two & with the early show having Red Harry at evens & the Dream Fast 3/1 it’s a no brainer & the latter is backed with Mowgli also investing. Red Harry drifts & goes off 6/4 while the Dream Fast is backed to 15/8. Unfortunately the market & us is wrong here & the Dream Fast is a distant 3rd, we both think Red Harry is beaten too but he short heads the 33/1 shot Zamastar on the line. Despite having two running for me in the last we’ve decided to bale out now, Mowgli’s thinking of backing Milady Eileen & collecting at Ponty if she wins but 2/1 is not long enough for him & he leaves her alone. We are well down the road when he gets on his phone & tells me she was 2nd to Thesme & I’ve backed another winner. Sunday Ponte Carlo, overcast but not raining, I’m hoping the risk of showers means it won’t be packed, I’m wrong it’s heaving & too busy for me. I don’t like this Dawaa in the first & decide to go with Big Sky who runs a stinker & is last but one. Dawaa rears in the stalls but is beaten nearly 10l’s in 3rd & wouldn’t have won with a fast start for me. The Mowgli’s don’t find the winner the newcomer Chiringuita either. The maiden up next is down to three runners, Mowgli throws a few quid at Hamdan’s Europa who’s 12/1 & was stone last on her debut, Richard Kingscote gets her up in the last 50 yards & Mowgli is a bit happier now. He’s not having Abbey Angel who’s my main hope here & goes with Dance King, Mrs Mowgli has Sellingallthetime. We can’t even get one in the first three between us in a seven runner affair. Chadic is well backed for my least favourite trainer & looks like he may score but Liberty Red gets by in the last furlong, good. Gatewood has defected from the Listed race leaving the now odds on Connecticut with the dodge pot Red Galileo to beat for me. Mowgli backs Red Galileo & is mortified when he downs tools off the turn in & is last. Connecticut wins pulling a bus by just the 16l’s & I’ve backed a winner but I’m getting a hefty rule 4. Just before the first Longshadow who had run in the last at Ascot the day before is, as I expected given out as a non runner. This to me is an absolute disgrace Longshadow was never going to run, the bookies have a ready made rule 4 thief here & it ought to be looked at. Not that it is going to concern me, Tuscan Gold is never going a yard & is beaten a mile out, race came too soon is the excuse offered. Again we can’t hit the frame between us here. I’m actually quite keen on Arethusa in the next & when 2/1 is available I have a top up. Having then gone 15/8 she goes the other way & starts at 5/2, this is because Atlantic Affair is well backed including by Mowgli & if this wins I’m likely to throw the teddy big style. Thankfully she doesn’t, then again neither does Arethusa & again we all fail to collect. When I’d looked at the last I’d thought the progressive one was Aprovado who’d broke his duck on his seventh try LTO & was up 6lbs here, however I’d thought that 3/1 was a bit skinny so I’m not playing at 5/2. Mowgli backs him & he makes all to win by 4l’s & that sums up my day I think. The two singles lose me 50pts across the two days. The two winners don’t fall together at Redcar but one of them is paired with the non runner for another single, after rule 4’s I get 10pts, 9.8pts, 4.9pts & 2pts back from the non runner. Sunday’s trixie plus returns 4.1pts after the rule 4 so 30-8pts back from 30 staked. Singles etc W/R 12-58 Stakes 962.4pts Returns 1029.38pts Profit/Loss +66.98pts Multiple bets Stakes 336pts Returns 220.69pts Profit/Loss -115.31pts Exacta/Trifecta -£4.80 The not sure what to call it but if it cops I’ll be on a beach somewhere with a cold drink in one hand & a hot blonde in the other bet Stakes 96.5pts Returns 401.27pts Profit/Loss +304.77pts Expenses £680 I did suspect that when Wetherby said they were having some flat cards this Summer that they wouldn’t be the greatest in the world, the opening fixture was reasonable, last evening’s fare was not & easy to swerve. Beverley today is just as bad & also not worth the effort, I’m hoping that Doncaster on Friday is better. Sydney Ruffdiamond Sydney%20Ruffdiamond_zpso74qwi09.jpg Sugar Lump Sugar%20Lump_zps8ijvlff3.jpg Connecticut Connecticut_zpsgcba4fex.jpg Rio

Reasonable fare on offer at Doncaster so away I go. A trixie plus singles is the bet with some possible on course action in the two 2yo races & the maiden race. A 6f fillies’ maiden to kick off. Alsaaden is the form pick from those that have had a run & also heads my numbers with a 74 from the short head 2nd to Raaqy here around three weeks ago at half a furlong further & the slight drop in trip should help. Drifting Spirit was 2.5l’s 5th in that race & is next best but shouldn’t really turn the foem round on the same terms. Tawwaaq also runs for Hamdan & was 4th on her debut on good to soft at Nottingham in May but was beaten 9.5l’s, looks sure to improve for the step up from 5f’s there but gives the impression that more time may be needed. The rest that have run have a stack to find for me & if anything is going to stop Alsaaden it’s likely to be a newcomer & the two Charlie Appleby runners look the most obvious ones. Novantae was quite a late foal (19th April) but on breeding she should be ok. Sacred Harp is earlier (13 Feb) & might need a bit further than this on breeding. Alsaaden is just odds on so I won’t be backing her, if something catches the eye before then I may play. 2.30 Just four in this novice stakes & all won their last race. According to the conditions of the race the three colts should carry 9st plus a 4lb pen for winning a class 5, the filly carries 8st 9lb plus 4lb for winning a class 5, however the top two colts & the filly all have 7lb more which would be the penalty for winning a class 3 or 4 & only Champagne City has the 4lb extra. I’ve double checked & all of them have only won at class 5 & I am at a loss as to why this is so. The filly Lucymai heads my numbers with a 70 from a winning debut at Kempton when springing a surprise, the bare form is nothing but she still won. Champagne City made heavy weather of winning at Beverley over half a furlong further clocking a 58 having been a 9l’s 4th at York on debut, improving but don’t really fancy this one. Torment gets a 50 for a debut win at Windsor in eye catching style, extra furlong should suit & the yard have a good record in this race. Albernathy improved a stack for a poor first run to win a 7f maiden at Sandown but the time wasn’t great (41) progressive but needs a bit more. I’ll probably back Torment if he remains odds against & looks the part. 3.00 I have this between Rocket Ronnie & Norville. The latter is chucked in on some of his form but is an 8yo now & probably on the downgrade, has won at a mile at Dundalk but all his best turf form is at shorter than this mile. Rocket Ronnie hasn’t won for almost two years but is 6lb below his last winning mark & seems to be approaching the boil again & has had just three starts for this yard improving each time. Ryan Moore is five from seven for Ed McMahon last five seasons & can land another one here. 3.30 I don’t think any of these are especially well handicapped. Azraff won twice at 2yo’s the second time a nursery off 85, placed at a better level than today this season & up to 95 now, drops back to a mile & wears first time blinkers. Highest Level won a Kempton maiden on his return & second run which is working out but then was held off 5lb in a handicap back there LTO, only beaten a half length though & the winner ran a good race in the Britannia last week. Dance of Fire was a nursery winner here at the Leger meeting off 76 & a good 2nd on seasonal return here at 10.5f’s in March, stuck up to 86 after & struggled twice but down a pound & paint rollers applied. Goring won a Beverley maiden FTO & then ran a cracker off 80 in the Silver Bowl at Haydock, stuck up another 4lb for that & not so good at Epsom last time but I can forgive that. Oracolo won quite well over C&D three weeks ago but is up 7lb & a class higher here, just think that might be a touch too much to allow the follow up. Tafahom won a Nottingham maiden on his fifth try LTO but hadn’t pulled any trees up before that, improving but not fast enough to win this for me. Highest Level has just had three starts & may have more to come, he’s the pick. Unless Koora from Cumani’s or Kuriosa from Botti’s are anything on debut then the maiden ought to involve Princessofthestars, Heartless & Yet Again. The first two were 5th & 6th at Newbury on debut with little between them, both should progress for that. Yet Again was 5th at Newbury beaten 3l’s having been a bit keen & green. I need a look at these first. 4.45 I don’t especially fancy Stock Hill Fair here, only just back to last winning mark from over two years ago & all his best form is on easy ground. All Talk N No Do won well enough at Windsor two runs back but wasn’t as good up 8lbs at York LTO, better race though but not sure this extra distance is what he needs. Slunovrat was stuck up 10lbs for winning a class 6 at Nottingham but then slipped & unseated back there LTO, flying a bit high here for me. Gambol’s sole win in 12 starts was here last year at 12f’s but still 9lb higher & pretty dreadful at York LTO. Tiger Lilly won a class 3 at Nottingham at around this trip last year off 78 & wasn’t disgraced in a better race at Haydock off 6lb more after. Tried 2m+ at York on her return & was well held but down to 78 here & back in trip & class so I’m forgiving her that & going with her. Bet Rocket Ronnie 9/4 Highest Level 3/1 Tiger Lilly 4/1 1pt trixie plus 3 x 2pt singles, Bet365 BOG Rio

• 1 month later...

It’s now almost six weeks since my last post, this would be my longest period of inactivity since I started this thread back in March 2010 so why? When I commenced the journey it was mainly to be a diary of my travels in the guise of an owner in the modest way of being a member of a racing club. This was something different to the usual threads of tips and systems and the like and as such I hoped it would create interest which it seemed to do. However things change, in early 2012 I finished working and became a more regular race goer at my local tracks, later that year the racing club ceased and the diary shifted more towards a record of me going to the races which to tell the truth became much harder to keep fresh and not repetitive. Joining another racing club in July 2013 helped but now this as also closed it’s doors and I find myself back in the same situation. In terms of this forum I now do very little other than this thread, I used to get involved in other discussions but a couple of years ago having posted a reply to a question posed by another member I was subjected to a torrent of abuse by a third person which despite support from Aidy, Paul and others put me off to such an extent that unless I was asked a direct question I ceased to reply to anything. Since the site upgrade the PL seems to be dead in the water, as I say it is six weeks since I posted and there has been little activity in the systems and blogs forum with my thread in 11th position and as I write only four threads have been active in the last week. The main racing page seems to consist of the Daily Nap comp and sometimes the days racing and little else. It would seem to me that the forum no longer “Does what it says on the tin” and that the recent un-user friendly upgrade has made things worse. I have decided then that this will be my last post. I would thank all those involved in running the PL over the years but most of all those who have taken the trouble to read my ramblings over the last few. A final total with the 10pt loss from my last post included. Singles etc W/R 12-58 Stakes 962.4pts Returns 1029.38pts Profit/Loss +66.98pts Multiple bets Stakes 346pts Returns 220.69pts Profit/Loss -125.31pts Exacta/Trifecta -£4.80 The not sure what to call it but if it cops I’ll be on a beach somewhere with a cold drink in one hand & a hot blonde in the other bet Stakes 96.5pts Returns 401.27pts Profit/Loss +304.77pts Expenses £690 Good luck Rio.

Very sorry to read this but I agree with your views - particularly the reduction of a strategic monthly comp to a weekly lottery in which I partake when I can raise sufficient motivation to find a selection. I think the strategic decisions made about the site will be to its detriment but time will tell. Thanks for a cracking diary and write up. Best wishes, ML.

• 2 weeks later...