** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

2010 Formula One World Championship

Last year I tipped Brawn to do well (click here) though I failed to put my money where my mouth was!! . That's because the bookies and most punters don't hear about testing (or realise the ramifications) until the evening news. This year many of the cars have already been shown. McLaren in particular looks really good, instead of going for last year's Red Bull nose (which most teams have done), they also have a sharks fin that extends to the rear wing and many other cool features. But today is the first day of testing. If McLaren, Schumacher (or anyone else) blow everyone away today then I would put money on them immediately and lay off in the evening or later :D This is the best thread to follow for news: http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=116947

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 2010 Formula One World Championship Today is the last day (3rd) of the first test. Here are the general thoughts by F1 afficionados: - Ferrari look up there, as do McLaren (with Hamilton at least). - Mercedes is also probably up there but may be lagging slightly behind. - McLaren may even be sandbagging. People are waiting to see a low fuel run from Hamilton. - Sauber are the big surprise so far by posting consistently good times. Unlikely to be championship challengers but definitely not far behind. - Alonso got up to speed extremely quickly in his first test in the Ferrari today - Very early days yet, but so far Button is not yet matching Hamilton in the McLaren. Yes, it's early days but you could look at Alonso and he is already up to speed The wildcard is Red Bull (who are not participating in this test). Nobody has any idea how fast they will be compared to everyone else. Most people think they should be challenging for the championship. Also, Adrian Newey is regarded as having got to grips again with championship winning aero since last year. Given the engines are frozen (development-wise), all that matters now is aero (and fuel consumption). Who would I bet on? Massa is still consistently underpriced. I surmise that this is due to public perception of him, being in the shadow of WDCs. And yet in 2007, 2008 and 2009 he has not showed any quarter given against Kimi. So I think a good bet at 9.8@Betfair. Also I'd go on Red Bull as a pure speculative bet. Either it will come in or it won't. Vettel is 8.2@Betfair. For all we know, come the next test they could "do a Brawn" and blow everyone away. Why do I think this? Because Newey is known as the best aerodynamicist in F1 when he gets it right. Look at this year's cars and nearly all are featuring the unique nose that he designed last year. Would be hilarious if he changes concept entirely and everyone is forced to play catch up again.

• 4 weeks later...

Re: 2010 Formula One World Championship About to submit my F1 Fantasy predictions, and thought I'd tap in to you lot for my knowledge. Is this the only one or are there any other threads for the F1 season? :unsure

• 2 weeks later...

Re: 2010 Formula One World Championship No banter on here. I like betting F1 but haven't done any bets so far as I think it's really difficult to tell from the limited testing (and most have new important bits to add for the 1st race). Do you have any specific questions?

Re: 2010 Formula One World Championship

Do you have any specific questions?
It's a Fantasy F1 competition, predicting which drivers and teams will do well, with a limited number of points available. More a case of gut feeling of whether it will be a Ferrari/McLaren/Mercedes/Red Bull year. I can change my mind as the season goes on, but I was looking for the less well-known teams and, especially, drivers who might be underestimated by most. I'm likely to go for Ferrari and Alonso, and pad my selections (1 team, 5 drivers) out with 2 well-known and 2 lesser-known drivers. The rest of them are petrolheads, but I'm more of a casual fan, who likes to see plenty of overtaking and (injury-free but) spectacular accidents.:$

It's a Fantasy F1 competition, predicting which drivers and teams will do well, with a limited number of points available. More a case of gut feeling of whether it will be a Ferrari/McLaren/Mercedes/Red Bull year. I can change my mind as the season goes on, but I was looking for the less well-known teams and, especially, drivers who might be underestimated by most. I'm likely to go for Ferrari and Alonso, and pad my selections (1 team, 5 drivers) out with 2 well-known and 2 lesser-known drivers. The rest of them are petrolheads, but I'm more of a casual fan, who likes to see plenty of overtaking and (injury-free but) spectacular accidents.:$
I've played a few fantasy games in the past and had a bit of success:cash. So I imagine it will come down to the price you have to pay for the drivers. From the big names I agree and would go for Alonso, definately think he is favourite for the championship. Away from the big 4 teams, I think the best drivers will be Hulkenberg and Kobayashi - both of there cars look reasonable and both driver could have big futures. Avoid any of the new teams if you can, they will be way off the pace and I think quite unreliable.

Re: 2010 Formula One World Championship Bahrain GP Race Winner - Schumacher - 1pt EW (1/4 1,2,3) - Betfred - 8/1 These odds reflect that this is Schumacher's first competitive race for a few years and first on this circuit. Having said that, don't sporting greats generally always amaze us? Unlike many boxers who have come back when clearly they shouldn't've, just for the pay day, I don't this is the case here. I think Schumacher has a point to prove, I think he genuinely believes he can still compete at the very top. He has proven time after time he is a quality driver (arguably best ever) and provided his car gets him round, he'll push it to the limit. Despite having not raced competitively on this circuit (New since his 'retirement') it won't be his first go round come sunday! He'll know it like the back of his hand by the go. I just think he has every chance of at least making the podium in what is always an unpredictable first race. So i'll take the legend to finish in the top 3 at a generous 8/1.

Re: 2010 Formula One World Championship Practice 1 - Nico Rosberg @ 13 Last year Rosberg topped the practice timesheets very often. Whether or not this was a Williams philosophy or his own is up in the air, but considering he is now in an even stronger car this year, I think there's a strong chance that he continues the trend of topping the time sheets in practice.

Bahrain GP Race Winner - Schumacher - 1pt EW (1/4 1,2,3) - Betfred - 8/1 These odds reflect that this is Schumacher's first competitive race for a few years and first on this circuit. Having said that, don't sporting greats generally always amaze us? Unlike many boxers who have come back when clearly they shouldn't've, just for the pay day, I don't this is the case here. I think Schumacher has a point to prove, I think he genuinely believes he can still compete at the very top. He has proven time after time he is a quality driver (arguably best ever) and provided his car gets him round, he'll push it to the limit. Despite having not raced competitively on this circuit (New since his 'retirement') it won't be his first go round come sunday! He'll know it like the back of his hand by the go. I just think he has every chance of at least making the podium in what is always an unpredictable first race. So i'll take the legend to finish in the top 3 at a generous 8/1.
What a waste of money, surely there is some better H2H to take for the race :lol

What a waste of money' date=' surely there is some better H2H to take for the race :lol[/quote'] Can't beat a good bit of constructive criticism! You don't get 8/1 H2H mate... It's 1pt... the house isn't on it! Don't like it, don't do it.... simple

Practice 1 - Nico Rosberg @ 13 Last year Rosberg topped the practice timesheets very often. Whether or not this was a Williams philosophy or his own is up in the air, but considering he is now in an even stronger car this year, I think there's a strong chance that he continues the trend of topping the time sheets in practice.
Fortunately was on this for Practice 2 at the increased odds of 21 :ok (I hope the fact that I was for Practice 1 negates this being aftertiming)

Re: 2010 Formula One World Championship Michael Schumacher v Nico Rosberg 2 @ 2.00 WillHill Schumacher is a definitly no 1 in Mercedes, but I'm not convinced, that in first race he can compete with top drivers from last seasons. Especially in Q team now can't favour him with special tactic and etc. I remember last season, everyone was sure that Schumacher starts in Ferrari after Massa accident, but his rsults in training was really poor and he gave up. It's not easy back after few years, F1 change very fast. Now he is after all this test seasions, but specially at the begining of the season I don't see him better than Rosberg. On today's practise seasions Rosberg beat him by 0.5 sec. And look at the 3 tests before season. I know it means nothing but in Montmelo and Jarez Rosberg achived better time, only at the begining of the tests in Cheste Schummacher was better. For me 2.00 in Q for Rosberg it's tempteting.

Michael Schumacher v Nico Rosberg 2 @ 2.00 WillHill Schumacher is a definitly no 1 in Mercedes, but I'm not convinced, that in first race he can compete with top drivers from last seasons. Especially in Q team now can't favour him with special tactic and etc. I remember last season, everyone was sure that Schumacher starts in Ferrari after Massa accident, but his rsults in training was really poor and he gave up. It's not easy back after few years, F1 change very fast. Now he is after all this test seasions, but specially at the begining of the season I don't see him better than Rosberg. On today's practise seasions Rosberg beat him by 0.5 sec. And look at the 3 tests before season. I know it means nothing but in Montmelo and Jarez Rosberg achived better time, only at the begining of the tests in Cheste Schummacher was better. For me 2.00 in Q for Rosberg it's tempteting.
Of course it's for qualification. After today's problems of Buemi I think it's worth to try Sebastian Buemi - Jaime Alguersuari 2 @ 3.20 from Ekspekt. And if You need sth to ako Sutil better than Liuzzi should come easilly. Odd not too good, 1.36 in Willhill but only singles there, I played it in Interwetten for 1.25 with Rosberg :)

Re: 2010 Formula One World Championship Bahrain Winner - Felipe Massa @ 9 Betfair Massa has won here 2 of the past 3 years and I think is a great chance again. Ferrari did not really show it's true pace yesterday and I think today you will find they are going to quite quick this weekend. Though Alonso is more adaptable and consistent, I don't feel Massa should be over double his odds. When he's on it, Massa is very hard to stop, and Bahrain is certainly a track that he enjoys.

Michael Schumacher v Nico Rosberg 2 @ 2.00 WillHill Schumacher is a definitly no 1 in Mercedes, but I'm not convinced, that in first race he can compete with top drivers from last seasons. Especially in Q team now can't favour him with special tactic and etc. I remember last season, everyone was sure that Schumacher starts in Ferrari after Massa accident, but his rsults in training was really poor and he gave up. It's not easy back after few years, F1 change very fast. Now he is after all this test seasions, but specially at the begining of the season I don't see him better than Rosberg. On today's practise seasions Rosberg beat him by 0.5 sec. And look at the 3 tests before season. I know it means nothing but in Montmelo and Jarez Rosberg achived better time, only at the begining of the tests in Cheste Schummacher was better. For me 2.00 in Q for Rosberg it's tempteting.
quite easy :beer Alguaserii lost, Sutil win. Generally I'm waiting for tomorrow race, now it looks little strange for me, especially times worse over 10 sec. I wonder what happen tomorrow. I don't think that any truck from new teams reach the finish.

Sport Motorsport
Event Bahrain Grand Prix
Selection Barrichello to finish in the top 6
Strength 10/10
Date 14/03/2010
Bookmaker/Price Blue Square @ 5.00 (Back)
Reasoning This seems very interesting. It's because of the new rule that the drivers in Q3 have to start the race on the tyres they set fastest lap in qualifying on, so all of the top 10 apart from Sutil will be on slightly used soft tyres. Barrichello will be 11th with some nice shiny new hard tyres. The front guys will have a short first stint, whereas Barrichello will have a long first stint and hopefully in the middle phase of the race he will be strong and can move up. I'm not sure how much of a factor this will be, but the BBC commentators were mentioning it a lot and even suggesting Barrichello for a podium! I think that is going too far but top 6 is doable. The Williams is in reasonable shape, and Barrichello hasn't been far off the pace of McLaren most of the weekend. Barrichello is also a wily old fox and I think he can get the most out of this sort of strategy. Expect the Ferraris and Red Bulls to be too quick - question marks over realiability of the latter - but everybody else is gettable.
Sport Motorsport
Event Bahrain Grand Prix
Selection Sutil to finish in the top 6
Strength 10/10
Date 14/03/2010
Bookmaker/Price Ladbrokes @ 3.50 (Back)
Reasoning Same rationale as the Barrichello bet. Sutil is starting in 10th and he chose to run in Q3 on the harder tyre. This should leave him in good shape for the race. He and Malia both mentioned this in the post-qualifying interview and they seem to think it will be a big factor in the race. Even if it is not, the Force India seems to be a very good package. It's genuinely quick at this circuit, and showed last year it is very efficient on fuel and tyres which could also be a big factor in this race. Don't think the McLaren is quick on the pace this weekend, maybe not the Mercedes either. Kubica is a surprise in the top 10, and I think all of these will be vunerable to guys behind them like Sutil and Barrichello.
Sport Motorsport
Event Bahrain Grand Prix
Selection Ferrari to win the race
Strength 10/10
Date 14/03/2010
Bookmaker/Price Sportingbet @ 2.10 (Back)
Reasoning Vettel got the pole and looked very strong in qualifying, but I like the look of the Ferraris in the race. Throughout the winter Ferrari showed immense long run pace, and we've seen for a couple of years they are vunerable in qualifying. 2nd and 3rd a good result for them in qualifying and I can't choose between the drivers for the race so take this bet. Alonso is probably a bit quicker, but he didn't do the job in Q3. Massa is excellent in Bahrain, and this is one track where he really needs to beat Alonso. If I had to bet on the race winner I think Massa is the best price (5.3 Betfair), but I prefer this market. Also questions over the Red Bull reliability so I'll oppose Vettel. He's show he is very good at leading from the front, but I think this is one race where he won't have the pace to do that.

Re: 2010 Formula One World Championship I half agree with Cramer in that the outside the top 10 and Sutil on the hard tyre will prove very interesting, but I feel that the fastest lap market is the better place to exploit this. Unlike previous seasons there will only be one low fuel run all race, and that will be at the end of the race. This is the time 90% of fastest laps will be set. Aside from low fuel the conditions you are looking for is tyres (softer are often better for fast laps), which Sutil and those outside the top 10 will be on in the final stint. Furthermore, those with faster cars, namely the winner, will likely be easing the car home and thus wont have a flying lap, whereas those on softer tyres might be pushing til the end for an extra position etc. As such, you want to identify runners who still have a fairly quick car, but will likely be on the softer tyre when they have their low fuel run and will have a shorter second stint to ensure those tyres are fresher. Fastest Lap Adrian Sutil @ 34 HIGH VALUE, strong stakes Rubens Barrichello @ 41 Kamui Kobiashi @ 51 Sebastian Buemi @ 101

Re: 2010 Formula One World Championship I agree with Batichello, 11th it's the best starting position form middle. Generally I'm afraid 1st race, I wonder how many cars stay at truck without fuel :). I played Barichello top 10 for 2.10 Interwetten. I also as yesterday thinking of Rosberg to beat Schummacher for 1.80, he is definitly better driver now, but Schummi is a no 1 for Mercedes and I'm afraid team orders or just that mechanics concentrate more on Schummacher bolid.

Re: 2010 Formula One World Championship How many cars from the Virgin Racing Team will achieve a position in the end classification?no cars @ 2.20 B&W Everyone know that new teams hadn't much time and money to prepare cars. We saw it yesterday when Glock lost his wheel without any accident. On first training seasion DiGrassi didn't leave box, Glock made only 8 laps. On 2nd Di Grassi 21 but Glock only 3. On last tests in Montenello Virgin drivers made only 163 laps, it's the worse from 11 teams which test there cars. Renouiklt which was on 10 position made 302 laps, 5 teames over 400! I think maybe one truck from new teams reach finish today, probably it will be truck from Lotus :)

How many cars from the Virgin Racing Team will achieve a position in the end classification?no cars @ 2.20 B&W Everyone know that new teams hadn't much time and money to prepare cars. We saw it yesterday when Glock lost his wheel without any accident. On first training seasion DiGrassi didn't leave box, Glock made only 8 laps. On 2nd Di Grassi 21 but Glock only 3. On last tests in Montenello Virgin drivers made only 163 laps, it's the worse from 11 teams which test there cars. Renouiklt which was on 10 position made 302 laps, 5 teames over 400! I think maybe one truck from new teams reach finish today, probably it will be truck from Lotus :)
probably won after less than 20 laps :cow Di grassi lost after 2 laps, Glock after 16 lost 5th gear, probably mechanics still trying t ofix it, but I don't think so that they manage Only 2 drivers from new teams left, both has 3 pitstops so far :)

that had to be one of the most boring races ever' date='god help F1 if it is gonna be like this all season[/quote'] Personally... I have to agree... I went into the kitchen to watch the paint dry halfway though!

that had to be one of the most boring races ever' date='god help F1 if it is gonna be like this all season[/quote'] I have to agree, but...... Now we have more interesting Q seasion I think, there isn't any tactic with fuel, only stupid rule about the same tyres at the begining of race as at in Q3. But I always prefer to bet on Q insted the race, less problems with accidents etc I think now F1 will be even more predictable, probably odds will be shorten for h2h duels, but if only we will have luck with broken cars it can be profitable :) For me begining of the season was brilliant, but it often is when new season in any sport begin and bookmakers hasn't so perfect informatin from last time

Re: 2010 Formula One World Championship Hello guys, I'm new to this forum. Formula 1 is the only sport I bet on, so it's great that F1 betters can gather here to share their tips. I'm looking forward to sharing my tips with you! I just started keeping track of my bettings on f1punter.blogabet.com. This weekend I played Massa for the podium, so I'm currently on a 100 % winning percentage :dude I also played Barrichello for points (not on the blog), thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...

Re: 2010 Formula One World Championship Simply cannot go past Vettel this weekend. Up until his mechanical in Bahrain he looked like he was going to win, despite some early hard tyre problems. There was an interview with Webber that weekend, and the body language and the things he went out of his way not to say all indicated that this is a very special car. Vettel himself has dubbed the car "Luscious Liz". Now, ask yourself, when was the last time you heard a driver name his car like that? I really can't remember. If a driver goes around and starts naming his car, then to me, that's a big sign that he knows it's a special car. For mine, Vettel is a big favourite to win this race.

Simply cannot go past Vettel this weekend. Up until his mechanical in Bahrain he looked like he was going to win, despite some early hard tyre problems. There was an interview with Webber that weekend, and the body language and the things he went out of his way not to say all indicated that this is a very special car. Vettel himself has dubbed the car "Luscious Liz". Now, ask yourself, when was the last time you heard a driver name his car like that? I really can't remember. If a driver goes around and starts naming his car, then to me, that's a big sign that he knows it's a special car. For mine, Vettel is a big favourite to win this race.
I've also gone for Vettel this weekend... Ferrari and McLaren to battle it out for the podium places... I expect Force India and Sauber to be pretty fast around Albert Park so go for a points finish for Sutil and De La Rosa... I don't see much in Webber this weekend though (famous last words :lol)