** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Gaelic Games

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Gaelic Games

Yeah she said 5, 10, 18, 42, 44, 45 bonus will be 2. Looks like were all in the same boat for this one lads. Hopefully this match is over by half time and Kilkenny win by 14 points. No doubt Tipperary have the ability to run them close but it will have to be via a poor performance by the Cats and a great display by Tipp. Don't think Brian Cody does poor performances though, :tongue2
Exactly what happened, rounds off a terrible week for myself, apologies to anyone that followed. Time to take a break for a few weeks. :sad

Re: Gaelic Games all the signs point to Cork http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/cork-should-start-counting-their-chickens-2341164.html

BAD news Down fans: Rocky the Chicken has 'pecked' the Rebels to win on Sunday! Kildare's GAA equivalent of soccer's Paul the Octopus, has become famous this summer by showing a similarly uncanny knack for picking out the winners of championship matches. Three bowls of feed are placed in front of him (one for a draw) and after Rocky correctly plumped for the Down bowl against his native Lilywhites, he was lucky to escape a grilling. So impressively has Rocky ruled the roost in the prediction stakes all summer, that his owner, Elaine and Paul McDonald from Newbridge, got him back out to predict the destination of 'Sam' on Sunday and his beak came down firmly on the Rebels side. "He did not even look at the Down bowl," Elaine revealed. "He went straight for Cork and did not even look around." In chicken language that means the Mournes could be plucked! Canon Hughes a great loss to game Colleges football and hurling have always been a fertile breeding ground for outstanding county players. None more so than St Jarlath's College, Tuam, a footballing nursery with a marvellous tradition. Dozens of All-Ireland winners, mainly from Galway but from other counties too, went through the hallowed halls over the years, so it's ironic that one of the college's legendary figures should die in the week before the big final. Canon Oliver Hughes (66), who'll be buried in Corofin today, coached St Jarlath's to four Hogan Cup successes in 1978, 1982, 1984 and 2002, having won an All-Ireland with the college as a player in 1961. A native of Killererin, home parish of Galway star Padraic Joyce who captained St Jarlath's to All-Ireland glory in 1994, Canon Hughes was attached to the college from 1972 to 2003, much of which he spent as president. He took over as parish priest in Corofin in 2003. His last Hogan Cup success was in 2002 with a team captained by Michael Meehan and which also included Galway colleagues Gary Sice, Alan Burke, Darren Mullahy, Niall Coleman and Kildare's James Kavanagh. Down refs chip in to training fund If anything proves how far-reaching an All-Ireland final can unite a county in a very special way, it's the gesture by Down referees to donate their expenses to the team's training fund. They have been roundly and soundly congratulated for their generosity, but we wonder if it will do anything to improve relationships when the All-Ireland adventure is over and it's back to club action. If a referee is getting some verbals, will a county player dash in and reprimand the mouthy one: "Hey, shut up, that guy gave up his exes for the training fund." And if a county player is giving trouble, will the referee rebuke him: "And to think I gave up money for you, you ungrateful prat." We await developments on the club fields of Mourneland. Irish Independent
So start at the risk of getting banned ill post this De Banks

How oft do my thoughts in their fancy take flight to the hime of my childhood away. To the days when each patriots vision seemed bright. Ere I dreame'd that those joys should decay When my heart was as light as the wild winds that blow down the Mardyke through each elm tree, Where I sported and played 'neath each green leafy shade, On the banks of my own lovely Lee. Where I sported and played 'neath each green leafy shade, On the banks of my own lovely Lee. And then in the springtime of laughter and song, Can I ever forget the sweet hours With the friends of my youth as we rambled along 'Mongst the green mossy banks and wild flowers. Then too, when the evening sun's sinking to rest Shed its golden light over the sea The miad with her lover the wild dasies pressed On the banks of my own lovely Lee. 'Tis a beautiful land this dear isle of song Its gems shed their light to the world. And her faithful sons bore thro' ages of wrong. The standard Saint Patrick unfurled. Oh! would I were there with trhe friends I love best And my fond bosom's partner with me We'd roam thy banks over, and weary we'd rest By thy waters, my own lovely Lee, We'd roam thy banks over, and weary we'd rest By thy waters, my own lovely Lee. Oh what joys should be mine ere this life should decline To seek what shells on thy sea- gilded shore. While the steel feathered eagle, oft splashing the brine Brings longing for freedom once more Oh all that on earth I wish for or crave Is that my last crimson drop be for thee, To moisten the grass of my forefathers' grave On the banks of my own lovely Lee, To moisten the grass of my forefathers' grave On the banks of my own lovely Lee.

Re: Gaelic Games So lads, lets bring the curtain down with a few winners!! Whats the thinking then?? Leaning toward a max bet on Cork to cover the handicap. Time is now for these players. They've been here before, know the story, and truth be told, Down have played 2 Finals already just to get here. Cork have so much more room to improve; if they let it in, the could win well. Gonna have another scan, and confirm bets pre throw-in.

Re: Gaelic Games Yee must all be in the pub or the poor house!! Max bet on Cork -2 @ 6/5 with PP. As i said before, this Cork team need to sh*t or get off the pot. Down, fair play to em, but they shouldn't really be here. A dry day would have me more confident, but it seems to be brightening up abit. The time is now yee Rebels; don't let me down (pardon the pun). :hope

• 1 month later...

Just thought i'd bump the thread up abit... Any of yee GAAmblers have any leans re the International Rules?? PP's novelty bet for 4 or more punches to be thrown looks to be tempting for a small stake; 2/1. 4 punches? Just one heat of the moment scuffle between two lads and it could be won and done!?!?!
Actually, scratch that; the threat of suspensions this year should see the convicts having abit of manners, especially given that missing game time = a hit to their pockets. I do like Ireland in the handicap though; -3 for the first test. Ireland have 8 (i think) former or current Aussie Rules players on board. Oz will undoubtably be better off the next day, coming on from getting a game under their belts. I reckon they'll be looking at a big(ger) showing in Croker. With goals = 6pts, and goalkeeping not a natural part of the Oz game, there is always a chance for Ireland to bag a few and put up a flattering scoreline. With every year the fitness gap closes too and the round ball is such a HUGE advantage. Feck it; i'm going in heavy on this, 10pt bet with PP just under evs. :hope

Actually, scratch that; the threat of suspensions this year should see the convicts having abit of manners, especially given that missing game time = a hit to their pockets. I do like Ireland in the handicap though; -3 for the first test. Ireland have 8 (i think) former or current Aussie Rules players on board. Oz will undoubtably be better off the next day, coming on from getting a game under their belts. I reckon they'll be looking at a big(ger) showing in Croker. With goals = 6pts, and goalkeeping not a natural part of the Oz game, there is always a chance for Ireland to bag a few and put up a flattering scoreline. With every year the fitness gap closes too and the round ball is such a HUGE advantage. Feck it; i'm going in heavy on this, 10pt bet with PP just under evs. :hope
Jesus; i really could do with taking a few weeks off... How bad was that?? Ireland were just muck; they should let them use the oval ball next Sat, at least they'd have a decent excuse then for the standard of their kicking. And what was with all the flicking and toe tapping? They looked totally petrified with the idea of bending over and picking the fecking ball up. I'll be staying clear of the GAA bet wise til 2011...

Re: Gaelic Games Feck it; i just can't let those bags away with that flop show last week. Am going to take Oz -3 (just under Evs again with PP) for a 5pt bet and try get some of last weeks stake back. The Brogan goal will mean the Aussies will still have their ears pricked, not that i reckon complacency will be a problem; they looked supremely prepared last w/e and totally tuned in to doing a demolishion job. Ireland on the other hand looked tired and clueless. It would be one thing if Ireland had a week to regroup together as professionals, but as they scattered back across the country, the Austrailians just settle back down to the dawing board. Expect Ireland to huff and puff from the off, maybe even try and 'handbag' it up, but ultimately they should fail to get going. The danger of a few 6 pointers is always there, but its not as if this is lost on the Aussies; their keeper actually looks like a decent enough 'keeper' and physically they are just so dominant; it really is men and boys stuff in this regard. And they should be even better, coming on from the game last week. That said Ireland have had an extra week to get used to the round ball (joke!). Oz to cover the 'over' start. Patriotism and punting are distant cousins!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re: Gaelic Games Dublin, a confident bet to beat Waterford, trading roughly around 2/1, in their league opener in the Hurling. Daly(Dub manager) and co have something to prove this year and this fixture represents a genuine opportunity for them to reassure themselves of the merit of their Div 1 status. Davy and the Blaa's on the other hand, probably couldn't care less at this point in all honesty. Take Dublin for the win here

• 1 month later...

Re: Gaelic Games Deathly qt here punters!? Thoughts on the All IRE club finals today?? Football is my game and its hard to look past Cross covering -2 @ 6/5 with PP. Nice blend of youth and experience, and whilst St Brigids are no mugs, Cross in Croker just feels too good to me. Oisin may well bow out, and will be keen to do things right and go out on the highest of highs. The Cross machine to rack up another title for me... :hope Thoughts??

Deathly qt here punters!? Thoughts on the All IRE club finals today?? Football is my game and its hard to look past Cross covering -2 @ 6/5 with PP. Nice blend of youth and experience, and whilst St Brigids are no mugs, Cross in Croker just feels too good to me. Oisin may well bow out, and will be keen to do things right and go out on the highest of highs. The Cross machine to rack up another title for me... :hope Thoughts??
Ooooh; you can't leave it much later than that can you!? Fisted point with the last touch of the game wins it by 3 for Cross. Should have been safe when Oisin was clean through, one-on-one, but they got it done in the end. :clap

• 2 months later...

Re: Gaelic Games Right lads, lets kick the 2011 Championship off... 2 singles, both with bet365 (took odds a few days ago, could be gone); Leitrim +5 4pt bet @ 11/10 Sligo have a weakened team out, whilst Leitrim have a no fear line up of 7 debutants + their star forward back. First day out, and i cant see Sligo, even at home, having 2 goals to spare, especially without their main man up front. Clare +13 4pt bet @ 10/11 Cork can cover this handicap if they take the notion, but on day one? I just cant see Clare letting themselves get run over by 14pts; maybe in a qualifier, but not in a MSFC tie. A crack at the all Ireland Champs, no pressure? Even if Cork run away with it, i can see them clearing their strong bench and cantering home in cruise control. Big Cork win for me, but nott by 14 plus points!!

Right lads, lets kick the 2011 Championship off... 2 singles, both with bet365 (took odds a few days ago, could be gone); Leitrim +5 4pt bet @ 11/10 Sligo have a weakened team out, whilst Leitrim have a no fear line up of 7 debutants + their star forward back. First day out, and i cant see Sligo, even at home, having 2 goals to spare, especially without their main man up front. Clare +13 4pt bet @ 10/11 Cork can cover this handicap if they take the notion, but on day one? I just cant see Clare letting themselves get run over by 14pts; maybe in a qualifier, but not in a MSFC tie. A crack at the all Ireland Champs, no pressure? Even if Cork run away with it, i can see them clearing their strong bench and cantering home in cruise control. Big Cork win for me, but nott by 14 plus points!!
Mixed bag; Leitrim romp home, but Cork pushed on when i thought they would just cruise home. :\

Re: Gaelic Games All 7 favourites gave a combined odds of 5-2 but Leitrim undid that. With those odds you have to go with the handicaps and then its fingers crossed half the time! This weekend we have football 11-10 Offaly 11-10 Wexford 15-2 Draw draw looks good there! 8-11 Down 6-4 Armagh 13-2 Draw Down priced on 2010 form there. Hurling 2-7 Dublin 7-2 Offaly 10-1 Draw Offaly +5 @5/6 looks good here 1-6 Wexford 11-2 Antrim 11-1 Draw Wexford -6 @10/11 as Antrim could crash 4-11 Tipperary 11-4 Cork 10-1 Draw Tipp -3 is 10/11 but they lost in 2010!

Re: Gaelic Games This w/e, Down -1 @ EVS with PP looks to be a bet for me. Down are a quality side coming off a solid Div 1 campaign, and of course a monster 2010. I watched them destroy Monaghan up in Newry, and Monaghan should of beaten Armagh in Armagh in their NFL game. Yes, they could be looking further down the road after the success of last year, but wee James is a wily character, and he’ll/they’ll be taking nothing for granted on Saturday; there'll be no Anglo Celt if they mess up on day 1. With or without A Rodgers, the 2 lads in the middle are a more than effective unit, and they'll hold their own. Both half lines are stacked with breakball terriers and they have good scoring power. As for Armagh, are they any better of a team this year than the side that got mauled in last year's Championship? I heard reliable whispers that all has been far from well in the camp, with training degenerating into 60 minute games of backs & forwards. McKeever, their talisman at the back, can’t be at Championship pace coming of a knee ligament injury, and the loss of Swift up front is a definite blow. There's not a score kind in the half forward line, and Down should then be able to pay extra attention to Stevie Mc and J Clarke. Down will have more than enough in my opinion to cover a 1 point head start... :ok

Re: Gaelic Games Also... Am loving the return of PP's player Unders & Overs; BJ Padden -0.5pts @ 2.25, J Clarke -1.5pts @ 1.66 & T Kernan -0.5pts @ 2.25 all look tasty... BJP will be playin a defensive first role, the wrong side of midfield, and will be doing well to last the hour. JC is a half back at heart, could nick one, but not 2. Win it and give it man, and again will be doing well to last the hour. Heard whispers that TK wont even start; C Vernon is going to push into the half forward line with another lad coming into midfield. Add to the fact that he's crap too.