** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Rugby League: Pre-season discussion & Ante-post bets

The new Rugby League season starts next Friday so thought it would be good to get some discussion going before the off and a chance to get any ante-post bets down in print. I think this season will be an excellent season and just looking at the ante-post markets there's some decent value around. I wonder how the cold snap will effect things when the season starts.

Re: Rugby League: Pre-season discussion & Ante-post bets Reckon the weather has hampered a lot of teams' preperations. A lot of the clubs did'nt even undertake warm-weather training this pre-season due to the financial restrictions. Even money-bags Leeds stayed at home did'nt they? I know Warrington have been in Tenerife though. Without question, players fitness won't be up to scratch come game-time. Hours of gym work is all well and good, but vital coaching 'plays' will be behind schedule given the frozen paddocks. Not even looked at odds but rhinos have a far better chance than last season, given the Aussie champs woes.

Re: Rugby League: Pre-season discussion & Ante-post bets Not all the ante-post's are out yet but skybet lead the way as usual. Dave hodgson @ 67.0 worth further investiagation. JT 3rd last year. Don't think huddersfield have changed their backline too much. Re-called a young winger from Batley after a great campaign, but surely as a squad strengthener. Trouble with Hodgson is past injury concerns, but hunky dory last year hardly missing a match. Any huddersfield updates would be welcome. Spotted a crackin' club/player top tries number but waiting for an EW option. As usual can't wait for the biff to start.:notworthy

Re: Rugby League: Pre-season discussion & Ante-post bets Will be taking Kyle Eastmond to be top tryscorer, not surprisingly he has been given the number 7 shirt after Sean Longs departure, he scored 8 in 13 games last season and is one to watch this year. Kyle Eastmond - Top Tryscorer 20/1 Ladbrokes (E/W) 1st 4 1/4.

Re: Rugby League: Pre-season discussion & Ante-post bets Yeah, can’t wait for the season to get into full swing. I’ve had a few ante-post bets as well but don’t usually do them. For me, it’s tough trusting my opinion rather than hard stats :\. I’ll be posting my tables again this season once we’re a few games in – hope nobody minds? Leeds to finish 1st in Regular Season standings @ 2.04 (Betfair – 2.1 available at Bwin) 5.8 Units Bit of bias on this one but I can’t see past the Rhinos for top-spot this season. Briefly touching on the opposition, Saints look like an ageing squad who may overly rely on Eastmond a touch this season, Hull KR and Huddersfield will face a challenge matching their displays for a second consecutive season, Catalans will miss the mix of steel and creativity offered by the outgoing Greg Bird and I can see the closest challengers this year being Tony Smith’s Warrington (see below). I also fancy the likes of Hull FC and Bradford to have improved seasons – and they may well have to for the sake of their under-pressure coaches! On the Rhinos, Brett Delaney comes in to replace the departing Lee Smith and they have some fantastic strike players in Peacock, Eastwood, Lauitiiti, Leuluai and the improving Burgess. As well as the headline grabbing Sinfield, Burrow, McGuire, Webb and Hall, for me the most important players are the unsung heroes of Ablett, Kirke and Jones-Buchanan – if they can keep everybody fit I see them having a great chance of 1st place this season. Warrington to beat Huddersfield – Regular Season Match Bet @ 4/5 (BlueSq) 5.8 Units Warrington to win Super League XV Grand Final @ 11/1 (VCBet) 1.3 Units E/W The match bet is not really a reflection on the off-field issues Hudds are having at the moment, but more fancying Warrington to have a really good season this campaign – Hudds were the only side matched up with them at what I thought was a decent price. They have a Super League winning coach in Tony Smith, good handful of decent arrivals in Atkins, Myler and Solomona , solid go-forward in Morley, Westwood and Carvell and some exciting youngsters in Riley, McCarthy, Cooper, Mitchell (and the incoming Myler). The last time a side other than Saints won the Challenge Cup was Hull FC in 2005 and they followed that up with a Grand Final appearance the following season so hopefully that’s a decent omen. Hull FC to beat Huddersfield – Regular Season Match Bet @ 6/5 (BlueSq) 5.8 Units Again, not any reflection on the chances of Huddersfield – who could very well have an excellent season again – but they were the only side who afforded Hull a decent price. FC were decimated by injuries last season and coach Richard Agar did well to hold onto his job in the eyes of many. Ultimately, they’ve kept faith with him and have recruited excellently in the shape of the experienced Fitzgibbon, Long and O’Meley. For me though, I really like the look of the younger players such as Tansey, Hall, Briscoe and the returning Washbrook and I’m hoping they lead Hull to a greatly improved campaign this year. A total of 20 units invested which hopefully will keep me interested up til play-off time. GL all :hope :ok

Re: Rugby League: Pre-season discussion & Ante-post bets I think Leeds will be THE team again lee, but i reckon there'll be improved odds available at some stage of the season. I'd like to know what COUH has to say about Hull. He disappeared from the forum last year after giving some blinding tips. For me, it's imperative Long stays fit, which is'nt a given with his recent injury woes. The aging Fitzgibbon is more renowned for his goal kicking, not one of the most dominant forwards to come out of Oz. Heard good things from the Wigan camp. The cheif exec' has HIS own man in charge now. Only Paul Deacon added to their rollcall, but the players are really responding to Mcguires training methods and fitness regime. Big Feka has shed two stone! All eyes will be on Warrington to see if Smithy can work his magic in the league campaign. Whilst Bradford have made some cracking signings 'on paper', but i still have little faith in McNamara. Big season for KR having over-achieved last year imo. Good coach at the helm, but will those massive debts come back to haunt them. will have a nostalgic tickle of Cunningham for man of steel at 13.0. definitely the last season for this legend of the British game. Vying with last years form hooker Scotty moore and roby, but he'll get plenty of game time to win over weepy eyed journo's who have follwed his career from day one. :cry Still eyeing up Wigans match bets.

Re: Rugby League: Pre-season discussion & Ante-post bets Couple of regular season bets for me. What's the deal with David Hodgson? Has to be a reason why he's 66/1 when he's pretty prolific. He hasn't lost a leg has he :unsure. Will have to get on that if nobody can shed any light on it. 3pts Salford to finish bottom 3/1 Skybet You'd think this is a two horse race, or as a Harlequins fan, I'm hoping it's a two horse race :lol. But I'm not sure Salford are that far clear of the Crusaders that they merit being this price. Crusaders had a lot of pressure and turmoil on their shoulders last season and while the same applies here to a certain extent, I think they have done well in getting Brian Noble in as coach and he in turn has begun to recruit well. Salford have to miss Richie Myler this season, he's one of their better prospects and although Shaun McRae knows the Aussie scene for replacements, my gut feeling is Salford will find themselves under pressure this season with the expectancy of improvement. If Noble can coax a couple of early wins out of the Crusaders to give them some foothold in the season I can see them challenging the City Reds for 11th spot. The value in this field lies in Salford for me. 1pt ew S.Tompkins Top Regular Season Tryscorer 33/1 Skybet (1/4 1,2,3,4) I really enjoy watching Sam Tompkins and I expect a bonza season from the Wigan youngster. He went over the whitewash 12 times last season and I would imagine and expect him to build on that this season. I think the young stand-off will be pushing 20 tries if not more. He knows how to break the line which is key and his support play is 1st rate. Has all the skills on the powerplay on the last tackle and everything he needs to have a "Danny McGuire" impact on Wigan's season. A lot of people, myself very much included, think Wigan will go well this season and if they do then Tompkins will be a major force in that. He looks booked in to go well to me so I'll take the GB international to land a punt at a double carpet.

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Rugby League: Pre-season discussion & Ante-post bets Anyone got any clearer ideas yet for season bets? I was thinking of having a punt on Amos Roberts currently 6/1 top tryscorer and Wigan either for Grand Final/Regular Season winner at 7/1. I've been impressed by the way Roberts has started the season, running in 2 trys in each match played so far. He's a quick player, and has some strong and intelligent creators around him to provide the opportunities. My reasoning for Wigan really centres on the fact that they missed the Grand Final last year by a smidgen really and from what i've seen look better than last year. As a neutral, they're a team that i always look forward to watching and are sort of my adopted team. They've got some exciting youngsters like the Tompkins brothers, and obviously the experience of the likes of Richards and Gleeson. I know obviously the likes of Leeds and Saints had a few dodgy results early on, and they will get better in the warmer months; and the likes of Wire and Hudds have strong squads- but i just feel Wigan can compete with most if not all of those and go the distance. Not too sure where their weaknesess might be, and i know it's easy to back them after a few good results, but it would give a bit of excitment to things and i think i might just have a dabble with those.

• 6 months later...

Re: Rugby League: Pre-season discussion & Ante-post bets

Not all the ante-post's are out yet but skybet lead the way as usual. Dave hodgson @ 67.0 worth further investiagation. JT 3rd last year. Don't think huddersfield have changed their backline too much. Re-called a young winger from Batley after a great campaign, but surely as a squad strengthener. Trouble with Hodgson is past injury concerns, but hunky dory last year hardly missing a match. Any huddersfield updates would be welcome. Spotted a crackin' club/player top tries number but waiting for an EW option. As usual can't wait for the biff to start.:notworthy
JT 3rd again. Not the jackpot, but i'll take it. :cheers