** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

2010 Boxing Thread

superfoo

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread

Do you bet on just boxing ??? That is all i bet on - i am quite new to it but have been following boxing,amateur & professional, as long as i can remember. I backed D.Alexander to win on points & was left feelin sore this morning when i saw the result !!! I would appreciate it if you, or anyone else for that matter, could give me some advice on stake sizes, money management etc. in order to improve my game:cash
I bet on various other things but I prefer and believe I know more about boxing than any other sport - though Ive got to admit Im finding it increasingly difficult as my record is showing:( Im not in a position to advise regarding staking and tbh it was a question I wa going to post at the beginning of the year just before I started this thread. Personally I have set myself a target to double my £1000 in a year (as detailed in post 1) but that is way off track at the moment. Either way I would say that posting all your selections is a good start regarding discipline. Last year I ran a thread for personal selections for 6 months and still couldnt fathom staking. If your interested the thread and table is below. http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/f16/boxing-betting-thread-84747/
I think thats pretty much it for the year as boxing goes. Very disappointed to see the table showing a negative 20 points, considering my aim was to very ambitiously double my money when this started:$ NOt as easy at it looked if Im totally honest, especially to find decent value. So the final table afer 6 months is below.

Bet No.

Market

Odds

Stake

Returns

P/L

Cum P/L

Miranda

v Ward

5/2

McCall

v Hopoate

4/6

Chagaev v Valuev

+9.5

2/5

Cotto v Clottey

+10.5

4/9

Green v Dominguez

4/7

Holmes

v Minto

9/2

Jacobs v Smith

+9.5

8/15

McDermott

v Fury

9/2

Cleverly v Fry

+7.5

2/3

Froch v Dirrell

various

Napa v

Davies

11/10

Moore

v Rhodes

1/3

Smith

v Quigley

8/15

Yorgey

v Angulo

7/1

Ndou

v Hatton

4/9

Paquiao v

Cotto

13/5

Munroe v Maludrottu

+9.5

1/2

Ward (UD)

V Kessler

9/1

Mitchell

v Prescott

10/11

Khan v Salita

4/5

I realise you are going to have losses but there were too many errors towards the end for me there especially the Cotto one where I believe I iver staked but despite reservations I thought the price was literally massive. Also, was a little gutted with the Ward loss considering the circumstances but maybe I was a little to greedy and precise.
user_online.gifreport.gif

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Guys, Im just doing the tables at the moment and I have got to admit its a little more difficult than I expected. Im not moaning but it would be greatly appreciated and make it a lot easier for me if you could put your stake and selection in bold or at least mark it clearly:ok Table up shortly but I ve got to say it doesnt make the best reading i DONT THINK.

Foo

Bet No.

Market

Result

Odds

Stake

Returns

P/L

Cum P/L

Amoako bt McCallister Dec.

McCallister UD

20/1

Amoako bt McCallister

McCallister UD

8/1

Larsen v Magee over 8.5

Magee TKO 7

4/9

Sylvester bt Larsen Dec.

Sylvester TKO 10

13/8

Sylvester v Larsen over 8.5

Sylvester TKO 11

4/7

Booth v Marsh - distance

Booth cut 11

4/5

Provodnikov bt Jaregui

Provodnikov KO 8

1/4

Doanire v Vargas Under 9.5

Donaire KO 3

8/11

Morel v Penalosa Over 9.5

Morel SD

2/5

Sonsona bt Vasquez

Vasquez KO 4

6/4

Alexander bt Urango by Dec or TD

Urango TKO 8

8/11

Mowgli

Bet No.

Market

Result

Odds

Stake

Returns

P/L

Cum P/L

Amoako bt McCallister ko/tko

McCallister UD

12/1

Bertie

Larsen bt Magee on points

Magee TKO 7

8/5

Matt

Concepcion bt Hammond

Conception points

4/5

Lawton bt Kirakosyan

Kirakosyan tko 3

7/4

Concepcion bt Omeara

O'Meara UD

11/10

Sinclair win Prizefighter

LOST

4/1

Butler win Prizefighter

LOST

13/2

LFCPete

Chisora Bt Baker 7,8,9,10

Chisora TKO 2

4/1

Cleverley bt Brancallion 7-12

Cleverly TKO 5

5/2

Darchinain/Urango Dec double

Darchinian UD Alexander KO 8

Greenhoff

Kirakosyan bt Lawton ITD

Kirakosyan tko 3

15/8

Pryce/Sinclair raech final Prizefighter

LOST

4/6

Price v Sinclair ITD

Pryce SD

16/5

Hilliard bt Arron

Arron UD

100/30

Darchinian v Guerrero under 6.5

Darchinian UD

5/6

Kevshat

O'Meara win Prizefighter

LOST

7/1

Sinclair bt Pryce

Pryce SD

11/8

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread REALLY DOESNT MAKE THE BEST READ WITH NO-ONE SHOWING A PROFIT:eyes AND ME BEING THE BIGGEST CULPRIT:wall Thought I had got myself back on track but 2 results that I must admit I was pretty confident with have let me down.

Is there somewere i enter my bets in this table so i can keep track too ???
Yeah mate - just enter them in this thread and you will be added to the table. When staking please state how much on who andwhere it was placed pretty clearly - in bold if you remember so I can skim when I try and to up. Good luck mate you seem to have a lot to offer the thread:ok

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Just placed £20 on Dodson to ko Smith @ 11/2 - ladbrokes. Being a Scouser i have followed both these lads since their amateur days. I think this is a real possibility. Heres why. Dodson knows this is last chance saloon. His last bout, the stoppage defeat to Quigley was nearly an excellent victory. He will be hungry for this, im assured of that. Lose this one & its over. It all depends on what he brings fight night. My only concern with him is he struggles with the weight, i have personally seen him boiling down in the sauna suit a couple of years ago & complaining to anyone who would listen about his weight issues. Despite his inactivity since the Quigley loss Dodson will be dangerous for about 6 rounds & will press the issue, he has got a fair whack & the heart of a Lion and at 11/2 a decent price. One more point concerning Dodson, he has paper thin skin, so dont rule out him being stopped on a cut. Paul Smith has never impressed me as a Pro. Despite an abundance of natural ability & a impressive amateur background ( 2002 Commonwealth Games Silver Medallist ) he has under achieved. It is no secret on Merseyside that he has a slack attitude towards training & discipline yet shows good ring fitness & a decent chin. Neither of these two will run from each other & Smith should edge out Dodson over the course but £20 of my money fancies a Dodson stoppage. I expect cuts from either fighter too. My other bet today is Pacquiao to win by decision @ 7/4. He wont stop the Ghanian, he has one of the best chins of the last 10 years easily.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Just placed £20 on Dodson to ko Smith @ 11/2 - ladbrokes. Being a Scouser i have followed both these lads since their amateur days. I think this is a real possibility. Heres why. Dodson knows this is last chance saloon. His last bout, the stoppage defeat to Quigley was nearly an excellent victory. He will be hungry for this, im assured of that. Lose this one & its over. It all depends on what he brings fight night. My only concern with him is he struggles with the weight, i have personally seen him boiling down in the sauna suit a couple of years ago & complaining to anyone who would listen about his weight issues. Despite his inactivity since the Quigley loss Dodson will be dangerous for about 6 rounds & will press the issue, he has got a fair whack & the heart of a Lion and at 11/2 a decent price. One more point concerning Dodson, he has paper thin skin, so dont rule out him being stopped on a cut. Paul Smith has never impressed me as a Pro. Despite an abundance of natural ability & a impressive amateur background ( 2002 Commonwealth Games Silver Medallist ) he has under achieved. It is no secret on Merseyside that he has a slack attitude towards training & discipline yet shows good ring fitness & a decent chin. Neither of these two will run from each other & Smith should edge out Dodson over the course but £20 of my money fancies a Dodson stoppage. I expect cuts from either fighter too. My other bet today is Pacquiao to win by decision @ 7/4. He wont stop the Ghanian, he has one of the best chins of the last 10 years easily.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread andy,you going on friday ? Went to smithy and quigs but won't be at this one. foo, heres the bets i've placed on here this year. murat/corbin..under 7.5 1.67 Won. SYLVESTER/lyell, LARA/brewer, MANFREDO/vanda TREBLE 1.52 Won brinkley/vanda..Brinkley ITD 8.0 Lost mcallister/omokoa..Omoakoa ITD 13.0 Lost shumenov/campillo..Shumenov 2.10 Won concepcion/hammond..Under 8 rds 2.10 Lost cleverley/branco..Cleverley ITD 2.10 Won de gale/barr..De Gale 1-4 rds 1.66 Won (Max) de gale/barr..De Gale 1-3 rds 2.60 Won leva/lawton..Leva ITD 2.87 Won leva/lawton..not go distance 2.10 Won Pryce or sinclair to reach final..1.66 Lost pryce/sinclair to finish ITD..4.20 Lost aaron/hillyard..Hillyard 4.33 Lost aaron/hillyard..hillyard by tko 12.0 Lost darchinyan/guererro..Under 6.5 rds 1.83 Lost

Bet the farm on Pacquiao... Clottey is a no-hoper. Don't be surprised if it's a late stoppage victory as Clottey's corner is very inexperienced bar Lenny De Jesus (former Pacquiao cutman), and they probably will wave it off in panic... Humberto Soto over David Diaz looks all set too
How'd you price Soto up for this ?

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread I'm on the Pacquiao decision too although I'm a bit worried that Clottey's clamshell defence could be prone to a waving off if Pacquiao lands a decent amount unanswered late on. If anyone should take it to points against Pacman it's Clottey, the biggest man Pacquiao has facd and someone who has shown good survival skills after being rocked in his career.. he has only been down once, a flash knockdown from a sof jab against Cotto which didn't do any damage. Clottey shouldn't do enough to get anywhere near a decision and Pac's punch ouput and speed should see him cruise to a decision victory for me. M.Pacquiao to bt. J.Clottey by Decision or TD 10pts 2.75 Skybet Also thinking of backing Gomez to see off Castillo, perhaps for the last time. The guy has made a career off of beating the legend Arturo Gatti in similar circumstances and Castillo has been fighting bums since being decisioned by Lujan in 08 although apparently Roach was impressed with him in sparring with Pacquiao. Gomez is no world beater but he is a hard worker and I can see him taking a decision over the faded legend. Not sure if I'll take the 1.53 on offer at the moment though and there are no Method of Victory markets out as yet. EDIT: + M.Pacquiao to bt. J.Clottey by Decision or TD 5pts 3.00 Skybet

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread i think bet 365 may be a bit generous with there pricing on the mayweather mosley fight they are offering 13/2 on mayweather stoping him while the others are going 3/1 5/2 im not saying this is a certainty but with these generous odds worth a punt i think

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Nice work Foo - appreciated. :clap Dodson to beat Smith - 2/1 betfred 10pts Just screams value this and as short as 11/8 elsewhere, pretty much the same as what Andy has said, I see as a very close fight and with that you have to back a guy at 2/1. Pacquiao to beat Clottey via stoppage Stan James 4/5 20 points I know what has been said about Clottey and how tough he is and he chin etc but I just cannot see him getting through the full 12, Pacman will hit him at all angles all night and its gotta take its toll, I think Manny threw nearly 1,000 punches at Cotto last time and although he took him into the 12th it could have been stopped a long time before, I just view him as an almost unbeatable fighter at this point in his career, I dont care about the bigger man thign as Pacman has kept on meeting bigger men and stopping them, Clottey has never been in a ring with a fighter of this class and I see Manny stopping him somewhere between 7-10.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread I will be there Friday night - the biggest show in town that night !!! Keen to see Kell Brook, been following him since day one also, remember him well from the amateurs, very talented kid, will go far with the right guidance

i think bet 365 may be a bit generous with there pricing on the mayweather mosley fight they are offering 13/2 on mayweather stoping him while the others are going 3/1 5/2 im not saying this is a certainty but with these generous odds worth a punt i think
Dont see PFB stopping him, wil probably take it on points though, hence the generous price. Hatton apart, Floyd hasnt stopped anyone decent for a long time.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Wow lot of action on here since I last looked!!! Thanks as well guys for making the bets clear - it really is tough trying to fathom several pages without scrolling through each post. Odds info for the biggie this weekend.

14 March 2010
02:00 Alfonso Gomez (8/15)Jose Luis Castillo (7/4)Draw (25)match-allodds.gif
02:00 Humberto Soto (1/3)David Diaz (9/4)Draw (28)match-allodds.gif
03:00 Manny Pacquiao (1/5)Joshua Clottey (9/2)Draw (33)
Personally fancy Soto and Gomez but will see what Im willing to stake plus I want to take a look at the other markets involved.

andy,you going on friday ? Went to smithy and quigs but won't be at this one. foo, heres the bets i've placed on here this year. murat/corbin..under 7.5 1.67 Won. SYLVESTER/lyell, LARA/brewer, MANFREDO/vanda TREBLE 1.52 Won brinkley/vanda..Brinkley ITD 8.0 Lost mcallister/omokoa..Omoakoa ITD 13.0 Lost shumenov/campillo..Shumenov 2.10 Won concepcion/hammond..Under 8 rds 2.10 Lost cleverley/branco..Cleverley ITD 2.10 Won de gale/barr..De Gale 1-4 rds 1.66 Won (Max) de gale/barr..De Gale 1-3 rds 2.60 Won leva/lawton..Leva ITD 2.87 Won leva/lawton..not go distance 2.10 Won Pryce or sinclair to reach final..1.66 Lost pryce/sinclair to finish ITD..4.20 Lost aaron/hillyard..Hillyard 4.33 Lost aaron/hillyard..hillyard by tko 12.0 Lost darchinyan/guererro..Under 6.5 rds 1.83 Lost
Hi GH - sorry if Ive missed things. I have only put on what was posted in this thread. Think Ive got most of them but for each post I need the bet, stake and odds @ where. If possible point out the post number and I will amend - hope thats ok mate.:ok

I will be there Friday night - the biggest show in town that night !!! Keen to see Kell Brook' date=' been following him since day one also, remember him well from the amateurs, very talented kid, will go far with the right guidance[/quote'] Some nice odds for Brook who imo is a near certainty as if you study his opponents record hes pretty much a can. I read something by Martin Power going through it all - I will see if I can find it and post. Either way Kell Brook by KO TKO or Disqualification looks decent value at 2/7 as short as 1/6 elsewhere. Will be back with info and atake hopefully.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread About Bienias…. I have'nt seen him, aint sure if many has...? Is he any good, he has'nt Beat NO one what so ever, lost his Debut to a 0-5-0, that opponent went on to have 12 fights with only the 1 Win against Krzysztof Bienias... He aint fought anyone, his last fight against a 9-0 but look he beat, he's rated light welterweight 209 in the world, before that Sven Paris 27-4 but who did he beat, he's 224 in the world, before that it was Cristian Frias 20-4-2 who is also a light welterweight and is 594 in the world winning all his fights against people who were making there Debut... Have a look..... "He did beat a certain Yuri Romanov , albeit at a very early stage in Romanov's career. Gosh what a wasted talent that guy is....he seems to have dropped of he planet!" Never spotted that, very good boxer but as you say he only had 3 fights doing a 10 rounder... None of the above is my words but a lot of it makes a lot of sense and you have to wonder how hes managed to get in the ring with Brook?

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread cheers foo, will put the posts up tomorrow. Hey lads, Urango's stoppage has put the willies up me re; the, 'can Pac stop clottey?' argument. No one envisaged urango being stopped, and look what happened. i can certainly see the scenario pete pointed out, where clottey is in clam mode whilst pac rains in unanswered shots. Crap workrate has always been clottey's downfall at this level. Cotto was there for the taking.. I notice Pacman via UD, (which would be the favoured outcome i'd think) is only a paltry 15/8, as opposed to the 7/4 for the outright dec'. If the stoppage were to occur, it'd be late on in the fight imo. dutching clottey's rd groups of 7-9 and 10-12 pays out 3.60. still looking into this.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread I think Cottey will be competitive in this bout & will keep a reasonable workrate going. i.e just enough to keep himself in the bout. Does anyone have any doubts on George Grove's upcoming clash with Ghanian Charles Adamu ??? A big step up for the kid but a bout he is more than capable of winning. Also can anyone tell me much about the Argentinian Martinez, who Kelly Pavlik is facing off against next month - i have seen a little bit off him on Youtube & he looks pretty slick, a lot of people mentioning he is gonna box rings around the methodical Pavlik

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Huck ITD/Soto double 1.79 sportingbet 10 pts. Fancy Huck to revert to TKO mode for the challenge of the swamp donkey. Had 6 on the spin, before the more challenging opposition of ofolabi and ramirez in his last two fights. Richards has no real right to be challenging for the title, having had only two fights at cruiser against very poor opponents, following a lacklustre heavyweight stint. Will give his all, but can see Huck methodically putting him through the pain barrier before a mercy stoppage from the ref. Soto, whilst never reaching elite, is an excellent fighter. Should have too much in his locker for Diaz, who would have liked more time to prepare for the bout. giving up height and reach, Can't slag diaz off, because no one has a bad word to say about the guy, but his toughness will put to the test in this one. Has a great heart and will need it.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Smith rds 7-9..15/2 b365. 1 pt. smith rds 10-12.. 10/1 laddies. 1 pt. Played this v's Quigley, but never looked like coming in. Probably over-rated smigga's power, plus quigleys chin stood up to the test. Decent enough odds for an another interest imo. Dodson will be lively early doors, but a nip and tuck affair should swing in smiths favour mid onwards. Dodson can be stopped, and the wars he's been involved in, could catch up with him on friday.

Smith rds 7-9..15/2 b365. 1 pt. smith rds 10-12.. 10/1 laddies. 1 pt. Played this v's Quigley, but never looked like coming in. Probably over-rated smigga's power, plus quigleys chin stood up to the test. Decent enough odds for an another interest imo. Dodson will be lively early doors, but a nip and tuck affair should swing in smiths favour mid onwards. Dodson can be stopped, and the wars he's been involved in, could catch up with him on friday.
Shrewd punting imo, fancy the 10s for last 3 rounds but tbh if there wasnt the rivalry to add spice I cant really see how Dodson can win but Smith deas have a tendency to not use his boxing and can let it be very tight on the cards. 8/15 for the win but not sure yet. I fancy a bit of a roll up this weekend.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Agree about smith. Think he's found his level to be honest. maybe a european tilt against limited opposition somewhere down the line, with frankie pulling the strings. ;). Big things expected early on in his career, with some decent ko's to his name, prime tv exposure on contender, and then nothing much really at the higher level. injuries don't help of course, but word is he's not the most dedicated trainer. dodson predictable in his approach, with smith having the better skills, but he does tend to let the fight dictate, instead of him dictating the fight..if that makes sense.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread foo, heres those results posted on here. Have retreived the posts numbers to make it easier for you. On your last boxing thread, which was closed for this new one, which is now on Page 2.... page 16, post 326 shemenov 10pt page 16, 328..murat 10pt page 16-17 334..brinkley 2pt p16-17..334 manfredo/lara/sylvester treble 1.52 10pt on this thread.. post 10..amokoa 1pt post 29..concepcion..10pt post 34..cleverley itd..10pt post 39..de gale rd 1,2,3,4. 10pt for the benefit of this thread. Played the bookies max. post 39..de gale rd 1,2,3. 10pt. post 52..leva/lawton not to go distance..5pt. sheer value. my records has it 40pts up.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Smith v Dodson Local rivalries resume in Liverpool tonight. I fancy Smith in this one as I consider him a superior boxer to Dodson. Smith is younger and fresher than his aging apponent and his career at last seems to have picked up some momentum. Bits have been discussed in earlier posts about this fight so dont want to drone on. Frustrating thing about Smith is he seems to leave a lot of his potential and good work in the gym - Pepe Correa was virtually creaming over him on The Contender but he tends to neglect his skills in the ring opting for a bit more of the hustle and bustle. Dodson is likely to come out and land early, amybe tiring himself a little early and despite his experience may not pace himself fully. Hopefully Smith will weather this and begin to wear down his rival with body shots, pulling away in the later stages and causing problems for a worn down Dodson. In short cant see Smith throwing this away now that he is British champ and an impressive showng tonight may lead to bigger things. Most logical is Smith on points but Im going to follow Greenhoff with the late stoppage as I think its a distinct possibility at big odds and Dodson was caught in the last against Quigley when seemingly ahead. Recommended bet 50 pts Smith bt Dodson 1/2 CORAL. 5pts Smith win Rounds 10-12 10/1 Ladbrokes (as short as 13/2)

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Povetkin v Mora Not going into much detail with this one as I think its unnecessary. Povetkin is as short as 1/80 at Bet365 (BP 1/25) and that tells its own story. I guess Mora could have a punchers chance but thats about it andPovetkins chin seems pretty solid behind that guard. Over 5.5 is 1/1 and that can be offset with the round betting. Works out as money back if it goes over 5.5 but potential to win a little if Povetkin can blast him out. Ibrigamov who is not known as a puncher caught him and stopped in the 1st so its not out of the question. Recommended bets - 50pts over 5.5 rounds Evs Sporting Bet. 10 pts each Povetkin win rounds 1 (12s) 2(8s) 3(6s) 4(6s) @ BWIN Round 5 (8s Skybet) Total stake 100pts 1st or 2nd half of 5th suits me fine:)