** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

'Tales of the unexpected'

Re: 'Tales of the unexpected'

Terrible losing run must come to an end sometime! Whispered Secret 225 Southwell (25/1) (also entered 3.55 Cheltenham) The Yorkshire Chase, usually run at Doncaster and not as competative as in previous years, i like the look of Whispered Secret, been running quite well without getting his head in front, ran over a trip way too short last time but still finished in front of Kalca Mome, back over his trip and like the ground i dont see why he's quoted at 25's. Started the season rated 140 and now down to 127, got to be worth a small interest. Also entered at Cheltenham ive just spotted and is the preferred race by connections, still 25/1 and dont see why he cant mix it with them either so i'll go with it where ever he runs.
:ok

Re: 'Tales of the unexpected' Lol, do you remember the Nap of the day and the banker of the day. EW Fancies later. And a thing I forgot we have. The top selections with some profit/loss chart I was running. Good old days, eh? :lol

TOP3 3.55 Cheltenham- Whispered Secret BillyHills 4.30 Cheltenham - Ma Yahab AK1979 4.30 Cheltenham - Orpen Wide Bowles10

Re: 'Tales of the unexpected' nice return there MIleni, i also recall super sunday when a few people won over a grand on PL just following 4 or 5 tips anyway another true betting related story my old man likes a bet and is a shrewd character & happy to listen to his cronies who give their advice to him anyway, when the england manager job came up, he had a decent look at the market (remember this is pre-internet, so no rumour mills or discussion theads etc), and decided to pitch in with £20 on a particular favourite of his as he could not believe the guy was priced at 50/1. Anyway, the inevitable happened, the guy was named manager and he picked up a cool grand for his £20 stake. The bookie was William Hill and he placed it on his credit account. Anyway, on the front page of the Sporting Life (paper was in its old format, large full pages) was 2 small paragraphs titled up "HILLS CLIENT 50/1 HODDLE COUP". The story went on to advise that Hills had paid out £1000 to 1 client and this was their biggest payout on the England Managers market! Imagine that today, having the biggest payout on any manager market, it surely cant happen can it these days. My old man was ecstatic that it made the papers & has the cutting in his "This is your life" book another to follow......

Re: 'Tales of the unexpected' This isn't as good a story as most people's on here, but it was probably the reason I'm posting on this forum today! Turned 18 in December 2008. Started getting into Horse Racing the Feb after. Few AW bets etc... to be honest didn't go well, and decided to follow tips off certain forums (not this one) for a little while to get my feet. Anyway, Cheltenham Festival was just round the corner. At this time I had no idea how big it actually was, especially as it was during the weekday, I thought it must be a low-key thing! As they'd have the big meetings on the weekend, right? :lol Anyway, sort of knowing about how to read the form, I stumbled across the betting for the Champion Hurdle. Bizzarely stumbled across Punjabi first, and thought it would be one of the favourites... So was shocked to see it 28/1 or whatever. Four or five of my mates were wanting a bet and I told them to back Punjabi. They lapped it up, especially as it was such big odds. I was sort of bullshitting with how confident I was and they had a few more quid than me on it! Nice touch though. Then of course, they wanted another winner. I saw in the form a certain Kayf Aramis, saw it had won twice on the trot fairly well. Had no idea about how it had to go up 14lbs in the handicap, face the best opposition it had ever to face, and the horses it beat were hardly great. If that race was today, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. But yet again I informed my mates that I'd be giving that a bet. Kayf Aramis won the Pertempt and my mates were loving it. THe winning run came to an end in the Gold Cup, unsurprisingly, tipping Maidson du Berlais.:$ These two days would my best until Autumn, and probably are the reason why I really do love this sport! Shame I can't pick winners like that anymore though.

Re: 'Tales of the unexpected' Hi Everyone, Hope this message finds everyone well. Many thanks for all the great stories. Lars reminded me just now that I've got one too ... The company I work for had a wonderful day out at Cheltenham, courtesy of Betfair. The race was the 2009-03-12 14:05 Chelt 3m Hcap Hrd, The Pertemps Final. There I was, in the Betfair Tent with our chairman, MD and office manager chatting with some big wigs from Betfair. They asked who we fancied in the above race. I am the Horse Racing programmer for our company and I said, "No. 21 Kayf Aramis", which left the faces of the Betfair crowd rather blank: it was trading around 20 at that point. As it went in running, I sat down with my laptop to look at the next race, not paying much attention. First I heard our Chairman: "Get it there!" Then, the MD: "GO ON!" Needless to say, I was a bit more popular and was asked several more times that day for our opinion, and we managed a few more winners. Great day indeed. Roll on 2010! G

Re: 'Tales of the unexpected' Finally had half hour to read through these fantastic stories, really enjoyable read especially BH's one amazing how some peoples brain works!! Wish i could contribute cant really only been in the industry for about 1-2 years and cant really think of any stories!