** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis - Australian Open

Re: Tennis - Australian Open I have to say i totally agree with you on the monaco match gooner! monaco is decent on hard courts if not spectacular but he has reached the 4th round of the us open(losing in 4 to djokovic)! he's a great match player and i think llodra is a match-up that will suit him! i checked his record against llodra and other net rushing leftys!he has won one and lost one against llodra but he has a 4-0 record against melzer and 2-0 record against lopez who are both leftys with similar games to llodra! strangely enough he actually struggles more against the defensive players nas he hasnt enough power to blow them off the court!he has a solid backhand and i think will be well able to make passing shots and play smart tennis against llodra! llodras form is still suspect (i wouldnt read anything into his win against vassalo arguello who is very poor on any surface other than clay)!and i also think his fitness is suspect also and monaco has such great battling qualities that if it does go the distance monaco is likely to be the fitter and more hungry....i feel! 2pts juan monaco to beat michael llodra at 4-6 with paddypowers.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - Australian Open Accumulator: Roddick x Gonzalez x Isner x Ljubicic @ 4/5 Roddick faces a tricky match with Bellucci, but don't think Bellucci has enough right now to beat him on hard. Roddick typically does enough in these early rounds...serves well and waits for a chance to break. His ground game has improved. Win expected. Gonzalez should also beat Ilhan. Had a little drop in the middle of the Rochus math dropping a set but will be too powerful for Ilhan here. Sorenson again screws me...:spank...but surely Isner is too strong. Big server has to have too much, he won in Auckland last week. Ljubicic versus Golubev might be closer but still fancy Ljubicic here. Not reading too much into Golubev's win over Fish....Fish was carrying an injury and struggling to serve. Ljubicic is a better HC player and has clear advantage here. Kubot to beat Giraldo Not sure on this one actually....have to think more about it.

Re: Tennis - Australian Open Philipp Kohlschreiber (vs Odesnik) x Feliciano Lopez (vs Schuettler): Double at 1.95 Two players who hopefully should progress to R3. We'll start with Kohlschreiber. The German and the American are tied at 1-1 on the H2H but their last meeting was five years ago. I'm one of Kohlschreiber's biggest sceptics but he seems to have rediscovered a bit of form. He has a delicious backhand and should have the tools to see off Odesnik, who can be a tricky customer. I can't see him, however, being able to out-strike the German. The only way the higher ranked player can lose this is in the mind. As for Lopez, I was very impressed with how he saw off Cuevas yesterday and he's meeting an opponent he leads 5-1 on H2H. Lopez has a big lefty serve and loves to dominate the net. He won't feel the ill effects of playing yesterday, although I think the ageing German could be a little tired after a good battle with Querrey. He did well to win there but he's playing a guy he hasn't got a good record against - I wonder if Lopez's serve bothers him. Anyway, I'm happy to side with both of these players. Bet strength: 2pts Victor Troicki (vs Mayer) x Ivan Ljubicic (vs Golubev): Double at 1.97 Right, Troicki first. I've been impressed with how well he's played this year and he took out an awkward opponent in Lapentti in the last round. He plays a German who can be a decent player, but I'm not sure if he can keep it up consistently over five sets. He did well to come back against Petzschner from two sets down but I'm worried he was in that position in the first place. Troicki holds all the aces here. As for Ljubicic, he annihilated Kubler in the last round and is wily fox who knows how to do Grand Slams. Golubev had a good win over Fish but the American pressed the self destruct button on a few occasions. He won't get the same errors from the Croat, who will dominate his service games with a huge action. I really think Ljubicic will have too much. Bet strength: 2pts James Blake vs Juan Martin Del Potro: Blake at 4.33 This will raise a few eyebrows. Del Potro is one of the world's best but he's been a little off-colour since winning the US. I can see fatigue in his game. Yes, he did well in London, but it was a battle and I'm not sure he's fully recovered. I also think the court is too slow for him. He has a great forehand but it's not quite as effective on this slower hard court. Blake's has had the measure of him before, although that meeting was a few years back and both players have changed. Even still, I expect Blake to rise to the occasion. He has a strong game and has caused Federer and Nadal problems on a hard court on the past. It's more of a hunch than anything else, but I'm not sure Del Potro is ready for a Slam physically, and Blake could take advantage. Bet strength: 1pt The other game that caught my eye was Niemenen vs Serra. I liked the Finn after Serra's marathon win over Melzer but in the end, the Frenchman has beaten him four times and there are doubts over Niemenen's fitness. No bet for me. I also had a brief thought about Karlovic to beat Benneteau, but that's a hard one to call. Too many dangers. Hopefully this round can glean a few more winners for us! Good luck to all, Atko

Re: Tennis - Australian Open I think of those three troiki is the best value! he's a big game player and generally doesn't lose to players of lower ranking when it comes to the grand slam. mayer came back from two sets down against petschner but won those sets too easy for my liking making me conclude that petschner just fell apart which he has done many times before! i think it could be a close match, maybe 4 or 5 sets but i can't see anything other than troiki coming through!he's a battler,he plays the big points very well,his backhand is a serious weapon and his funky serve when on form can earn him a lot of free points and comes in very useful in tie-breaks! close matches. mayer hasn't really made any impression on the majors since wimbledon about 5 years ago and he really is just a good challenger player! troiki is 4-9 with bet365 and i dont like backing those adds in a single bet so i would stick him in an accumualtor with hewitt and safina at 4-6. safina is looking determined and is hitting the ball well and hewitt will surely be too good for donald youing!good luck 3PTS TROIKI,HEWITT AND SAFINA TREBLE AT 4-6 WITH BET365

Re: Tennis - Australian Open Will take Troicki as a single. Bit short but really can't see him slipping up here. Troicki to beat Mayer @ 2/5 Mayer is OK, can be a tricky player but Troicki is a class above. Think Mayer is a bit of a choker really, and only here because Petzschner is a bigger one. Troicki is usually reliable against inferior opponents....good form already this year in Doha and Sydney only losing to Baghdatis and Nadal. Beat Lapentti well in the end (in first round here) who is a fighter....good result I think. Surely comes through this.

Re: Tennis - Australian Open I see Dementoeva as a huge favourite to win against Henin. I know that Dementieva likes to win warm-up slam tourneys and to lose in the slams but she's in that shape as she used to be way ago as she competed with Kim Clijsters in equal terms. And the advantage from way back then is now that she serves much better. And Henin's comeback is not that good what it seems. She's not ready to compete in that level even though she played nice match against Kim few weeks ago. Should be confident Dementieva's win 1.83 @Willhill

Re: Tennis - Australian Open Going Against a few of you and taking Mayer V Troicki Saw his first round match and he was excellent. He was ranked 32 in the world afew years back but a dip in form coupled with a family death then an injury saw him have to rebuild his career on the Challenger circuit.. Last year he has shown some of his old form and will be up for a match here. Am a fan of Troicki (Just), but I think at 3.1 Mayer is the Bet here if you are looking value

Re: Tennis - Australian Open Hi folks these are my tips for tonight, keeping reasoning short and sharp, cause many tips, some reasons have already been given... Main bets: Blake to win a set @1,625 pin 9/10 Blake for me is too inconsistent to go for a straight win, so choosing the safe option here. Del Potro is not at his best at the moment and lost a set to Russel so losing a set to Blake would be no surprise. Blake served well against clement which is curical to be able to stick with del potro. Peer -5,5 Games tb. Hrdecka @1,862 pin 8/10 Peer is firing at the moment the likes of Kirilenko,Errani, Dokic,Rybarikova by this margin so i see no reason why she can´t do the same with Hrdecka. Koroloev to win a set vs. Berdych @1,714 8/10 Berdych is in good form and i have no real doubt that he will pull through against Korolev but the Russian/Kazachian is no mug and capable of a high level ( if not for 5 sets, just for 1 or 2 ) and Berdych is also not known for beeing Mr.Constant. Wouldn´t take Games Handicap on Korolev, can see a weird scoreline in this, like 6-1 1-6 6-3 7-6 Berdych or something... Veic +8,5 Games tb. Monfils @1,917 pin 7/10 Monfils is not known for blowing somebody of the court, Veic surely is 110% motivated at this stage in a slam and will fight till the end. Can see a similar scoreline like Monfils´ first round ( 6-4 6-4 6-4 ). Have also taken smaller bets ( 2-3 points ) on Grabin, Date, Wickmayer, Zheng, Serra, Karlovic, King, Cohen-Aloro+7,5, Wawrinka 3-0, Isner 3-0; Good luck and good games :cheers:beer MfG Arantxa

Re: Tennis - Australian Open 3pts J.Henin to beat E.Dementieva 11/10 Stan James 3pts Match to go 3 sets 6/4 Sportingbet Either I'm missing something here or these prices are all wrong. I accept Justine Henin hasn't been back long but she's already shown signs that her quality is still there in that epic match she had against Clijsters 2 weeks ago. To be fair to Dementieva, she's playing well and won a tournament coming into this event but can you really trust the Russian at 4/6? I can't. All too often under intense pressure her serve goes to pieces and any 2nd serve Henin sees in this match she's going to be all over like german measles. Henin never served brilliantly against Flipkens in round 1 but she got the job done and this always looks like a match with a few breaks of serve in it. I just think Henin's more trustworthy under pressure and her little bit of added quality will come through here. It looks a gimme for 3 sets as well. They've played 7 times in the past, 4 of them have gone to a 3rd set and with both in good nick I see no reason why it won't go the distance here. Whether it ends up going to 3 or not, it shouldn't be a 6/4 shot so I'm on a 3 set match and Henin to just edge out the nervy Russian.

Re: Tennis - Australian Open I like your thinking on the 3 sets bet kevshat but i can't pick a winner personally. dementieva's second serve in the old days was woeful but she really has improved it and is serving way less double faults these days. however, like you said if it gets close i'd be backing henin in the pressure moments! now for my final tips: 1)veic plus 8.5 games against monfils 10-11 with bet365 i basically agree with aranxta's reasoning on this one so see his/her post 2)murray versus gicquel under 29.5 games at 8-11 bet365 3)pavlyuchenkova plus 5.5 games against kuznetsova at 4-6 with powers 4)safina-zahlavova strycova under 18.5 games 5-6 with powers 5)troiki versus mayer over 37.5 games at 4-5 bet365 6)kerber plus 5.5 games against rezai at 10-11 bet365 7)del potro minus 5.5 games against blake at 5-6 with powers 8)korolev versus berdych over 34.5 games with bet365 at 5-6

Re: Tennis - Australian Open i also think bartoli will hammer zahkavova and beat the handicap and probably jankovic too but those bets are just value bets really! and i think ilhan can beat the handicap against gonzalez. my main bets have already been posted but those are the handicap and total games bets i quite like! no 3pointers however!! i forgot one more bet! 9)baltacha versus k bondarenko over 19.5 games at evens good luck all!

Re: Tennis - Australian Open Feliciano Lopez @ 1.55 Decent price if you ask me. Lopez is not a typical spaniard, he is more an all rounder and looks quite solid on this surface, at least when comparing with German guy. Lopez passed first obstacle, Cuevas in 3 sets, looked confident and physically strong, while Schuettler won against American Querrey who had awful match looking at stats. In any case, i have full confidence in this outcome. gl. Ljubičić @ 1.60 Golubev was solid on hopman cup but i don't give him too many chances in this match. Ljubo worked a lot on his fitness lately, and presented very solid tennis on exibitional tournament in Kooyong where he defeated JMDP and lost to Gonzo. He lost only 5 games to relatively unknown Kubler so he should be fresh enough as well. Golubev plays mostly on challengers, didn't had too much success in big tournaments so far and i see him as pretty limited player more or less. Ljubo takes this tournament very seriously, i already said that he worked on his fitness so it would be a pitty not to use such schedule.

Re: Tennis - Australian Open Karlović @ 1.70 Going again with my compatriot here. Karlo is full of confidence after beating Stepanek in the first round, that win meant a lot for tall Croat, and he was exstatic after that. No need to analyze his style too much, he depends on serve but he showed some skills from the baseline against Radek, otherwise it would be impossible to beat him. Karlo also worked a lot on his fitness so i doubt that 5-setter so early will be a problem for him, at least not so early in the season despite his height. Bennetau had lots of problems against Guez, showed some weakness against the serve and that could be a problem tonight. I didn't expected more than 1.70, this is fair price but i have to follow my hunch here and back Karlo all the way cause i have good feeling about him. gl.

Re: Tennis - Australian Open Nieminen @ 2.10 Can't overlook the fact that Nieminen is simply better player than limited Serra. I suppose that his absence in 2009 and injury problems heavily affected these odds but it looks like those problems are behind him. Serra had 5-sets marathon against Melzer in the first round and it could affect his fitness. This is at least a coin toss, if not a game where Jarrko should be a slight favourite IMO. GL.

Re: Tennis - Australian Open Thomaz Bellucci @9.00 1/10 Will take a shot at a suprise here. Bellucci has been playing pretty well lately and I think this could be a tricky match for Roddick. Roddick only managed 7 aces in his first match and with these courts being slow I think Bellucci has a shot. Barbora Zahlavova Strycova @7.00 1/10 Taking another small play here with Strycova. With the way Safina can melt down I will always go against her getting good odds. Even looking at Safina @1.08 is madness. Strycova has beaten Safina once and lost to her once. However, she beat Safina all the way back in 2004 still worth small stakes IMO. Elena Dementieva @1.92 5/10 Feel like I am falling for it here obviously a reason I will go for Dementieva in this match besides the fact she can win the tournament is this is Henin's second tournament back. She is obviously a great player and did reach the final in her first tournament back but it was a pretty weak field. However, she did play Clijsters close in a great final. I want Henin to prove to me she can win this match after that layoff we shall see. Sorana Cirstea @3.28 5/10 Also like Cirstea and getting pretty good odds here. Not really a big Kleybanova fan although she beat Dokic in 1st match Dokic was really a mess and with her attitude never had a shot despite the support. Cirstea comes in here under the radar I think she can make a little noise in this tournament and I expect for here to move well up from 44 in the world rankings where she is currently. Good luck to all enjoy the matches :ok

Re: Tennis - Australian Open

Hi folks these are my tips for tonight, keeping reasoning short and sharp, cause many tips, some reasons have already been given... Main bets: Blake to win a set @1,625 pin 9/10 Blake for me is too inconsistent to go for a straight win, so choosing the safe option here. Del Potro is not at his best at the moment and lost a set to Russel so losing a set to Blake would be no surprise. Blake served well against clement which is curical to be able to stick with del potro. Peer -5,5 Games tb. Hrdecka @1,862 pin 8/10 Peer is firing at the moment the likes of Kirilenko,Errani, Dokic,Rybarikova by this margin so i see no reason why she can´t do the same with Hrdecka. Koroloev to win a set vs. Berdych @1,714 8/10 Berdych is in good form and i have no real doubt that he will pull through against Korolev but the Russian/Kazachian is no mug and capable of a high level ( if not for 5 sets, just for 1 or 2 ) and Berdych is also not known for beeing Mr.Constant. Wouldn´t take Games Handicap on Korolev, can see a weird scoreline in this, like 6-1 1-6 6-3 7-6 Berdych or something... Veic +8,5 Games tb. Monfils @1,917 pin 7/10 Monfils is not known for blowing somebody of the court, Veic surely is 110% motivated at this stage in a slam and will fight till the end. Can see a similar scoreline like Monfils´ first round ( 6-4 6-4 6-4 ). Have also taken smaller bets ( 2-3 points ) on Grabin, Date, Wickmayer, Zheng, Serra, Karlovic, King, Cohen-Aloro+7,5, Wawrinka 3-0, Isner 3-0; Good luck and good games :cheers:beer MfG Arantxa
Think i will add a 4/10 on Blake @3,95 to my list. Reasons are enough and in the outright market a few quids want to get rid of del potro while nobody wants to buy him, what makes me a little bit suspicious..... Peer won 6/7 6/2 6/1 easily beating the handicap despite losing a set:loon ITS WOMENS TENNIS, surely nobody can ever predict it...just have to make educated guesses....

Re: Tennis - Australian Open Cirstea - Kleybanova Cirstea underdog against kleybanova ?? Cirstea will be the future star of WTA. Cirstea has a greater game than Kleybanova's. If she has no serious injury problems during her career , she will win a grand slam in her career. Kleybanova can not be the player who can be a favorite against cirstea i think. Cirstea to beat Kleybanova @3.23

Wickmayer cruised through qualification looking really strong. Last two matches were won 6-0 6-1 and 6-0 6-0 Pannetta is the only player of real quality that could stop her making at least the third round. As said above it's a back and lay play
So Wickmyer thrashes Pannetta with some style and faces Errani in the third round with the winner of that due to play a qtr against most likely Hennn or Dementavia. Wickmyer has moved in enough from when I took her in qualifying to cover my bet. All profit from here on in :ok

Re: Tennis - Australian Open Have taken Hennin tonight btw. Demmentavia ia choker at the top level, Justine has won 7 grand slams. Kim at last years US open showed us just how much more of this game is in the head, not the legs.

Re: Tennis - Australian Open Can anyone enlighten me here. I would be inclined to side towards Dementuva at the odds due to the fact that Henin has just returned. Although she had a good tournament on return, this is a major. I have been informed from several punters that Dementuva is somewhat "dodgy", as she often plays ratyher strange, shall we say.

James Blake vs Juan Martin Del Potro: Blake at 4.33 This will raise a few eyebrows. Del Potro is one of the world's best but he's been a little off-colour since winning the US. I can see fatigue in his game. Yes, he did well in London, but it was a battle and I'm not sure he's fully recovered. I also think the court is too slow for him. He has a great forehand but it's not quite as effective on this slower hard court. Blake's has had the measure of him before, although that meeting was a few years back and both players have changed. Even still, I expect Blake to rise to the occasion. He has a strong game and has caused Federer and Nadal problems on a hard court on the past. It's more of a hunch than anything else, but I'm not sure Del Potro is ready for a Slam physically, and Blake could take advantage. Bet strength: 1pt
Had great fun following this from work on Bet365! Didn't come in, but the value was clearly with Blake, taking it to 10-8 in the decider! I think he was 2-0 up in the 5th wasn't he?

Re: Tennis - Australian Open Del Potro is a class act, great fighter. Can't see him going the distance though, that wrist is still causing him problems. But just when you think DP has nothing in the tank, he finds a way to battle on. Just stuck some money on Monaco to beat Llodra, and Granollers to beat Falla. Will talk about reasoning later but am not doing great this week, maybe best thing is for people to go with the opposite....:\

Philipp Kohlschreiber (vs Odesnik) x Feliciano Lopez (vs Schuettler): Double at 1.95 Two players who hopefully should progress to R3. We'll start with Kohlschreiber. The German and the American are tied at 1-1 on the H2H but their last meeting was five years ago. I'm one of Kohlschreiber's biggest sceptics but he seems to have rediscovered a bit of form. He has a delicious backhand and should have the tools to see off Odesnik, who can be a tricky customer. I can't see him, however, being able to out-strike the German. The only way the higher ranked player can lose this is in the mind. As for Lopez, I was very impressed with how he saw off Cuevas yesterday and he's meeting an opponent he leads 5-1 on H2H. Lopez has a big lefty serve and loves to dominate the net. He won't feel the ill effects of playing yesterday, although I think the ageing German could be a little tired after a good battle with Querrey. He did well to win there but he's playing a guy he hasn't got a good record against - I wonder if Lopez's serve bothers him. Anyway, I'm happy to side with both of these players. Bet strength: 2pts Victor Troicki (vs Mayer) x Ivan Ljubicic (vs Golubev): Double at 1.97 Right, Troicki first. I've been impressed with how well he's played this year and he took out an awkward opponent in Lapentti in the last round. He plays a German who can be a decent player, but I'm not sure if he can keep it up consistently over five sets. He did well to come back against Petzschner from two sets down but I'm worried he was in that position in the first place. Troicki holds all the aces here. As for Ljubicic, he annihilated Kubler in the last round and is wily fox who knows how to do Grand Slams. Golubev had a good win over Fish but the American pressed the self destruct button on a few occasions. He won't get the same errors from the Croat, who will dominate his service games with a huge action. I really think Ljubicic will have too much. Bet strength: 2pts James Blake vs Juan Martin Del Potro: Blake at 4.33 This will raise a few eyebrows. Del Potro is one of the world's best but he's been a little off-colour since winning the US. I can see fatigue in his game. Yes, he did well in London, but it was a battle and I'm not sure he's fully recovered. I also think the court is too slow for him. He has a great forehand but it's not quite as effective on this slower hard court. Blake's has had the measure of him before, although that meeting was a few years back and both players have changed. Even still, I expect Blake to rise to the occasion. He has a strong game and has caused Federer and Nadal problems on a hard court on the past. It's more of a hunch than anything else, but I'm not sure Del Potro is ready for a Slam physically, and Blake could take advantage. Bet strength: 1pt The other game that caught my eye was Niemenen vs Serra. I liked the Finn after Serra's marathon win over Melzer but in the end, the Frenchman has beaten him four times and there are doubts over Niemenen's fitness. No bet for me. I also had a brief thought about Karlovic to beat Benneteau, but that's a hard one to call. Too many dangers. Hopefully this round can glean a few more winners for us! Good luck to all, Atko
Much better today. Only a 1 point loss and it could've easily been a win, as Blake was a ball-hair away from taking out Del Potro, who I am convinced will lose sooner rather than later in this tournament. Well done all the winners (think there were a few), in particular the chap who had Florian Mayer! :tongue2

Re: Tennis - Australian Open so disappointed with paszek!!! i guess it was just blind faith!! also got pretty unlucky with the total games and handicap betting! 6 wins 4 losses! although pavlyuchenko plus 5.5 games was a horrible tip......my wordt of the tournament.....and i knew it as soon as i put the bet on!!

Hi folks these are my tips for tonight, keeping reasoning short and sharp, cause many tips, some reasons have already been given... Main bets: Blake to win a set @1,625 pin 9/10 :nana Blake for me is too inconsistent to go for a straight win, so choosing the safe option here. Del Potro is not at his best at the moment and lost a set to Russel so losing a set to Blake would be no surprise. Blake served well against clement which is curical to be able to stick with del potro. Peer -5,5 Games tb. Hrdecka @1,862 pin 8/10:nana Peer is firing at the moment the likes of Kirilenko,Errani, Dokic,Rybarikova by this margin so i see no reason why she can´t do the same with Hrdecka. Koroloev to win a set vs. Berdych @1,714 8/10:nana Berdych is in good form and i have no real doubt that he will pull through against Korolev but the Russian/Kazachian is no mug and capable of a high level ( if not for 5 sets, just for 1 or 2 ) and Berdych is also not known for beeing Mr.Constant. Wouldn´t take Games Handicap on Korolev, can see a weird scoreline in this, like 6-1 1-6 6-3 7-6 Berdych or something... Veic +8,5 Games tb. Monfils @1,917 pin 7/10 :nana Monfils is not known for blowing somebody of the court, Veic surely is 110% motivated at this stage in a slam and will fight till the end. Can see a similar scoreline like Monfils´ first round ( 6-4 6-4 6-4 ).:eek Have also taken smaller bets ( 2-3 points ) on Grabin:ok, Date:@, Wickmayer:ok, Zheng:ok, Serra:ok, Karlovic:ok, King:@, Cohen-Aloro+7,5:@, Wawrinka 3-0:ok, Isner 3-0:ok; Good luck and good games :cheers:beer MfG Arantxa
Blake lost 8-10 in the decider, was worth the 4 units though... Going 11-4 with 4-0 with the main picks all won, good day:cheers Should have bet on the monfils scoreline, would have made a fortune...