Professional poker player,new to the forums, need sports betting help.

Hello, I think the title pretty much says it all and i have a lot of questions to ask. Generally i'd like to become profitable at sports betting, mainly in football (soccer) and to understand a way to track my results and grow a bankroll from sports betting. I'm a professional poker player so i understand a lot of topics that carry over to sports betting. Including variance :wall, bankroll management and so on. I'm just clueless with where to start.I would read books but i can't imagine any are current enough to give any sort of insight. I've also had a look around for tipsters online and i was once a subscriber to "the secret betting club", i didn't really have the enthusiasm to follow any of the services they reccomended at the time though. Would it be a good idea to follow the best tipsters on here to get an idea then move from there? There's a lot of information about i just don't know which bits to follow. Thanks p.s. apologies if this is in the wrong forum or if i've broken any rules.

Re: Professional poker player,new to the forums, need sports betting help. Hi, TastesLikeTuna, and :welcome to Punters Lounge. My personal advice would be to follow a system that selects bets based on "value". The philosophy behind these systems is to try and beat the bookies by pin-pointing matches where there is a good chance that the bookies have underestimated the probability of a team winning. You have to develop an independent assessment of a winning probability and compare it with the bookies odds... where your own assessment of a winning probability exceeds the probability offered by the bookies odds, then you have a value bet. This is a very simplistic way of describing it, but I hope you get the idea. I would refer you to football-data.co.uk, which gives a more professional description of developing a probability analysis. I also refer you to Djordje's thread on PL, "Goal Rating System", which is doing very well at the moment. By the way, what does taste like tuna ?.... apart from tuna, of course :tongue2

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.