** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

UEFA Europa League » Nov 05

Djordje

Re: UEFA Europa League » Nov 05

AEK Athens president and managing director Nikos Thanopoulos has urged everyone at the club to "become a family again" to turn around a disappointing run of results. The team are seventh in the Greek Super League with just three wins from nine games so far and have only three points from their first three games in Europa League Group I going into Thursday night's meeting with Belarusian side BATE, who beat them in the return fixture in Minsk a fortnight ago. Thanopoulos met with coach Dusan Bajevic and the players this week at the club's Thrakomakedones training centre in a bid to spark an improvement and told www.sport.gr: "There are demands from you because you are good players. "We all have responsibilities - the administration, the coach and the players. We all share the negative results. "We need to become a family again as a team and get good results and people will join us and support us again. You need to do justice to yourselves and to the history of the team. That is why people have been angry." AEK will be without Grigorios Makos after the defender suffered bad bruising to his thigh during the week. Fellow defender Daniel Majstorovic was also left out of the 19-man squad named by coach Dusan Bajevic because of a chest injury suffered by the Swede. BATE are level with AEK on three points after beating the Greeks last time out but trail Benfica and Everton, who both have six. Missing from Viktor Goncharenko's party for the trip to Athens was Igor Stasevich due to injury, along with Vitali Bulyga, who is struggling for match-fitness, and Hovhannes Goaryan who is struggling with an illness. Goncharenko is happy with his team's preparations for the game and told the club's official website: "We have monitored AEK very carefully. We have videos of all the matches AEK have played since our last meeting and in this regard we have extensive information." Goncharenko believes Majstorovic's absence will be a problem for AEK, adding: "Majstorovic is a true leader, an experienced and respected player who has long been in the AEK camp. Apparently, the team finds it very difficult to cope without him, particularly in the domestic league where Athens are not going so well. It is necessary (for them) to correct the situation, so now is no time for experiments."

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...I can't say that people are necessarily betting their houses (that would be foolish even if Ajax were playing a second division team from the Faroe Islands....). At about 14:15 (GMT) there was only about 80,000 GBP on the match whereas the Villarreal - Lazio match had 1.2 million GBP (and here the odds have seriously shortened for Villarreal's win). We are still a while away from kick off so things may change... Furthermore, the rationale "everybody is betting on it and therefore it will go wrong or it will go right" is not really a valid cause and effect relationship and really shouldn't cloud one's betting choices. Results don't occur because people bet or don't bet on the result. Other factors determine the outcome and they take place during the 90' of match time... But sure, if you feel bad about the Ajax win stay away from it or you might think about taking Ajax on..... Good luck mate in your bets....:hope
i agree with all the analysys, i wanted to bet heavily on this game myself. with "everybody" i was referring to the locals. i checked around & every croatian guy is saying the same thing & betting the house on ajax. this reminds me of the ajax-dinamo match of a couple of seasons ago & we all know how that ended. when i see all the money going on one side & the odds not moving i stay away or bet against the public as this is a contrarian indicator. as i`m one of the local guys that can`t see any other result than a 3 or 4 to nil victory for ajax, i`m skipping this one as i think there`s enough value on offer today in other matches.... villareal look to have turned the corner & should be taken @1.80-ish. hertha are undervalued regardless of their injury problems & [email protected] looks like a big gift. basel should win with ease against cska therefore [email protected] seems more than fair. with toulouse rotating the squad, [email protected] with the motivation on their side & a full squad should wrap up the group. good luck

Re: UEFA Europa League » Nov 05 Hamburg v Celtic Celtic- 7/1 Betfair Agree that Celtic are overpriced here and I will have a few quid on them at 7/1 on Betfair. I wasn't overly impressed with Hamburg in the first game and Celtic's wastefulness in front of goal cost them. The Germans still have long-term injuries to their main strikers and have conceded three goals in each of their last two games against Monchengladbach at the weekend who they lost to 3-2 at home and against Schalke the week before. Celtic have Marc-Antoine Fortune coming back which gives us a real boost in the striking department and he will probably come off the bench for the last 25-30 minutes. I also think Scott Brown's absence is a good thing as he is a woeful player and a midfield of Crosas, N'Guemo and Robson can allow our wide players to go express themselves. Also Hinkel & Fox are now fit and up and running again the two full backs. Andreas Hinkel has been excellent going forward this season and is an assist machine, creating two goals at the weekend and will be looking to put on a good performance in his native country ahead of the World Cup. Yeah Hamburg deserve to be favourites and will fancy their chances but not to this extent. This group has already thrown up some crazy results like Rapid beating Hamburg 3-0 then losing 5-1 in Tel Aviv. If Celtic can be more clinical in front of goal then they have a chance so feel at 7/1 its worth a wee punt. Will also look at Villarreal and Ajax based on some excellent write-ups on here :ok

Re: UEFA Europa League » Nov 05 Celtic DNB @ 5.00 Are we missing something here? I fully agree with lads above who say that this is a massive and totally missed price. Celtic were the better team at Celtic Park although i do rate HSV as slightly better team, but... This is a specific competition in which surprises happen almost every round. HSV miss two regular, important player, Celtic will miss two as well + Boruc. I would agree with the odds if HSV is strong like Liverpool for example, but they aren't, and Celtic will surely get their chance to collect three points. HSV's form is far from impressive form, they lost to MG last weekend and if Gladbach could win, so can Celtic.

Celtic DNB @ 5.00 Are we missing something here? I fully agree with lads above who say that this is a massive and totally missed price. Celtic were the better team at Celtic Park although i do rate HSV as slightly better team, but... This is a specific competition in which surprises happen almost every round. HSV miss two regular, important player, Celtic will miss two as well + Boruc. I would agree with the odds if HSV is strong like Liverpool for example, but they aren't, and Celtic will surely get their chance to collect three points. HSV's form is far from impressive form, they lost to MG last weekend and if Gladbach could win, so can Celtic.
That a good shout mate, totally forgot about the DNB market. Celtic DNB is 5.8 on Betfair which is good as it offers you that added protection of the stake back if its a draw.

Levski Sofia v Red Bull Salzburg UNDER 2.5 goals @ 1.8 - BET365. Sofia are yet to score in the Europa league, and have improved domestically since their early season slump. Salzburg have only won twice in seven away attempts domestically, so I make this a tighter game than the odds suggest. Since Georgi Ivanov became manager of Sofia, they have picked up two back to back league wins. Salzburg will also be without three attacking players; Alexander Zickler, Christoph Leitgeb and Svento are all missing.
Just watch to see whether Janko is playing for Salzburg as I think he has been their top scorer and was back in action last weekend....

FK Partizan 0 @ 1.92 - Ladbrokes v Club Brugge. Partizan have lost al three Europa league fixtures, but demonstrated that they are capable of scoring, as they hit two in their 2-3 loss versus Toulouse at home. Belgian football, similar to Scottish football is in a bit of a slump right now. Club Brugge have not won away in their last six attempts in European competiton, and I think the home side have a decent chance here given that Brugge will be without first choice defender, Carl Hoefkens.
With all due respect just a quick info about Partizan; their last 12 (I believe it's 12) Uefa Cup / Europa League matches are 0-0-12. Poor team, very bad coaching. They play Euro competitions mostly because Red Star Belgrade is in crisis. I'd rather go with Brugge AH 0 but good luck anyway.

Is it just me who think Celtic are totally dismal and if put in the Premier League would be scrapping it out for 14th place? Seriously guys' date=' come on. Think about it for a minute. They are just plain awful.[/quote'] No, I agree with you. The thing is, if you go anywhere near as to say on here how crap the Scottish league is you get mobbed by a bunch of mouth-breathing neds! :lol

With all due respect just a quick info about Partizan; their last 12 (I believe it's 12) Uefa Cup / Europa League matches are 0-0-12. Poor team' date=' very bad coaching. They play Euro competitions mostly because Red Star Belgrade is in crisis. I'd rather go with Brugge AH 0 but good luck anyway.[/quote'] I don't see their form as being that bad. Over the last year in the proper stage, they have faced the likes of Sevilla, Stuttgart, Sampdoria, Liege. Not surprising that they haven't produced a positive result. They have won qualifiers. Brugge have a tough game away at Liege at the weekend also.

Agree that Celtic are overpriced here
My thoughts on this game are that the price on Celtic is about right. It might come as a bit of a shock to some Scottish fans, but that is really how far your nation has dropped in European standings. Good luck with all those that take Celtic, but there is no value in betting on an away side that have won once in nineteen away European fixtures.

Re: UEFA Europa League » Nov 05 Exactly. It's so easy to look like a good team when you are playing the likes of Hamilton, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen week in week out. Really out of their depth in Europe and you guys do this a lot. You say Celtic are overpriced blah blah blah. If anything, for every single European game they play, they are very underpriced. Highly amusing when people try and translate a home match against Kilmarnock into an away match at Hamburg.

No' date=' I agree with you. The thing is, if you go anywhere near as to say on here how crap the Scottish league is you get mobbed by a bunch of mouth-breathing neds! :lol[/quote'] Think you better watch how you conduct your post in future, if I am not mistaken you were involved in an altrication with another punter on last nights CL thread and now your posting like this....think you should be a bit more friendly in your conduct.

Exactly. It's so easy to look like a good team when you are playing the likes of Hamilton' date=' Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen week in week out. Really out of their depth in Europe and you guys do this a lot. You say Celtic are overpriced blah blah blah. If anything, for every single European game they play, they are very underpriced. [b']Highly amusing when people try and translate a home match against Kilmarnock into an away match at Hamburg.
Where did anyone do this..? Whats your picks for tonight..? Maybe concentrate on that instead of criticising other peoples post and picks :ok

No' date=' I agree with you. The thing is, if you go anywhere near as to say on here how crap the Scottish league is you get mobbed by a bunch of mouth-breathing neds! :lol[/quote'] I don't think so, I have advised to back against Celtic when at odds on before. Yeah the SPL is crap and Hamburg should win but they are generally 4/9 which I wouldn't get over-excited about. It also works the other way, a few times this season Celtic have been odds on at home to Hearts twice & Rapid Vienna, even away to Hapoel where I have said you should back against them, but whenever I tip Celtic it seems you get the ' your betting with your heart' response. Jase82- perhaps you are right but there have been some really excellent bets against Celtic in recent years in the Champions League, Shakhtar 11/10- Benfica evens against us in Ukraine/Portugal and Celtic generally 3/1 4/1. There isn't much pressure or much to lose tonight, sometimes in the Champions League there is the hoodoo of not having won which is whipped up in the lead up to the game. I think at 7/1 its worth a fiver but not expecting anyone else to follow. Good luck everyone.

Where did anyone do this..? Whats your picks for tonight..? Maybe concentrate on that instead of criticising other peoples post and picks :ok
Last time I checked this was a football forum, so I can respond to anything I see in any way I see fit. That's the whole point of a forum.

Think you better watch how you conduct your post in future' date=' if I am not mistaken you were involved in an altrication with another punter on last nights CL thread and now your posting like this....think you should be a bit more friendly in your conduct.[/quote'] Banter mate! I'm quarter Scottish myself :ok What happened to good old English/Scottish hatred?! And the "altercation" yesterday for the record was some knob telling me I got the date that Mourinho joined wrong.

Re: UEFA Europa League » Nov 05 Gone for a double aswell Rapid Vienna 10/11- The Austrians look like a useful side at home in front of their fanatical support. They have already beaten Hamburg 3-0 and Villa 2-1 in Vienna this season, both better teams than Hapoel Tel Aviv. I was shocked at the 5-1 defeat they suffered in the reverse fixture and feel they will avenge that here. Ajax- evens- just took that on the basis of some good reasoning on here. Double pays 3.8

Exactly. It's so easy to look like a good team when you are playing the likes of Hamilton' date=' Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen week in week out. Really out of their depth in Europe and you guys do this a lot. You say Celtic are overpriced blah blah blah. If anything, for every single European game they play, they are very underpriced. Highly amusing when people try and translate a home match against Kilmarnock into an away match at Hamburg.[/quote'] The SPL is only so weak because we (unfortunately) don't have the money that the EPL has. How many times do I have to say this, the EPL is only were it is because of the money it has AND because of all the Foreign Superstars so get a grip and quit saying this as I am sick and tired of hearing it. The day my football club becomes similar to Chelsea etc and splashes 40 or 50 million on players who don't play for the jersey is the day I stop supporting. :ok

Re: UEFA Europa League » Nov 05 Rapid Vienna to bt H. Tel Aviv 2.04 Betfair (placed today at 1.30 now shorter) Hapeol do have a resptectable recent away record in europe, but bar Getafe two years ago, the teams they have met haven't been in the same class as Rapid. Both teams are having a good season so far, but even though Vienna took a pounding two week ago in Isreal a think it will be a different story tonight. Rapid are unbeaten in 9 euro home games and have won the last 5 including impressive wins without conceding against Villa and Hamburg. Coming of the back of 3 straight league wins and with a passionate crowd behind them in the Ernst Happell, i fancy the Austrians will be to strong at home in a match they really need to win. Everton v Benfica 0 AH 1.8 Stan James Again i'm taking another team who will be desperate to avenge a drubbing two weeks ago, and even with injuries and two players illegible i fancy Everton to do just that. Benfica are obviously playing some excellent stuff at the moment, but i'm not sure a team who hasn't won away in Europe in its last 7 games can come to a tough place like goodison and win. The last time the Toffees were beaten at home in Europe was 4 years ago against a pretty useful villareal side in a CL Q before the season had started proper. As i said Everton will be desperate to avenge that 5-0 defeat and a win would also virtually guarantee them qualification to the next stages. Hopefully saha will pass a late fitness test, but if not looking through the rather depeted squad i still fell there's enough there to beat Benfica tonight, and safe in the knowledge that a draw would see a return of stake. Hamburg v Celtic -1 AH 1.9 Ladbrokes Really confident Celtic's drastic away record of 1 win in 25 european away ties won't get any better after tonight. They have also have a 0-1-6 record over the years away in Germany and considering how poor and low on confidence this celtic team is, i think Hamburg will run out comfortable winners in the Nordbank arena tonight. Hamburg are obviously a class above Celtic, and to me this was evident two weeks ago wjth their superior movement and passing, with only poor descision making in the final 3rd preventing them from scoring more. To be fair celtic also had chances as you would expect at home, but they were generally opportunistic and Rost in the Hamburg goal was rarely troubled. Just to back this up no side has had fewer shots on target in the opening 3 games than Celtic, and i think they will find chances at a premium tonight. The away side also have three first team regulars out in Brown, Maloney and Boruc which also lessens their chances of getting anything out of this game imo. hamburg could pretty much ensure qualification if they win and tonight and just looking at the line-upsi think they will do so quite comfortably by two or three goals.

Re: UEFA Europa League » Nov 05 Just posting up a tip or 2 after reading some of the comments beforehand D Bucharest vs Ajax For me Ajax are still a class side however away from home in Bucharest i wouldn't fancy anyone and that's why i see the bookies offering around 2.0 for an ajax win instead ive gone for -2.5 GOALS, Ajax don't need to win and i think dynamo know they that Ajax r the better team therefore expect this match to be cagey and one of the teams to scrape it 1-0 Toulouse Vs Shaktar Shaktar are scoring a boat load of goals whenever they wish to, in ilsinho, fernandinho and adriano they have a deadly strike force with the impressive jadson aswell providing his fair share i can see them winning this comfortably. my pick SHAKTAR -1 Nacional Vs A Bilboa Spanish teams are generally dreadful away from home and a bilboa are no upset to that, they are a mid table side playing a decent side from portugal since nacionals win at zenit i have been impressed by the way they have played and hence my pick here is Nacional dnb Finally everton vs benfica Benfica are a real quality side and in cardozo and saviola have a hugely talented front line however after evertons mauling they lost 2-0 in braga and knowing moyes he will have seen that performance which showed that if u blunt benficas frnt line they are dodgy at the back, i expect everton to get atleast a HT draw from this and after tht this one could go anyway Quick comment on the Celtic game, they are huge odds at 7/1 and like rangers last nyt i think they will be the better team and play well but as we know there susceptible to letting a last minute goal in like rangers as well. i think they'll win 1-0 as Hamburg aren't in great form but u'd have to be a brave man to take them.

The SPL is only so weak because we (unfortunately) don't have the money that the EPL has. How many times do I have to say this, the EPL is only were it is because of the money it has AND because of all the Foreign Superstars so get a grip and quit saying this as I am sick and tired of hearing it. The day my football club becomes similar to Chelsea etc and splashes 40 or 50 million on players who don't play for the jersey is the day I stop supporting. :ok
Haha yeh, McGeady (Celtic's only good player, and he's still not a patch on any Chelsea player) is CONSTANTLY trying to get a move to England. He showed no respect to Strachan and went public with his criticism. He really 'plays for the shirt' doesn't he? :ok

Haha yeh' date=' McGeady (Celtic's only good player, and he's still not a patch on any Chelsea player) is CONSTANTLY trying to get a move to England. He showed no respect to Strachan and went public with his criticism. He really 'plays for the shirt' doesn't he? :ok[/quote'] Hasn't he just signed a new 5 year contract? Hardly TRYING to get a move is he? And I think you will find McGeady has come through the ranks at Celtic so YES, in my opinion he still does and always has played for the shirt. :ok

Just posting up a tip or 2 after reading some of the comments beforehand D Bucharest vs Ajax For me Ajax are still a class side however away from home in Bucharest i wouldn't fancy anyone and that's why i see the bookies offering around 2.0 for an ajax win instead ive gone for -2.5 GOALS, Ajax don't need to win and i think dynamo know they that Ajax r the better team therefore expect this match to be cagey and one of the teams to scrape it 1-0
Good write-up mate, but you do realise Ajax are playing against Zagreb in Croatia tonight, and not against Bucharest in Romania?! *** Thanks for all the write-ups guys, some quality info imo. I'm taking (already taken!) Ajax @ 2.02 away vs Dinamo Zagreb. From their 12 domestic league games, Ajax have a GF/GA record of 40:10!! I know it's only Holland and goals come easily, but they've still managed some 12 goals extra than PSV, who have the 2nd best strike-force. Their 10 conceded is also equal-best in the division. Granted, Zagreb also have a great record in their respective league, but the opposition in Croatia is somewhat a lower level than that in the Netherlands. With the match being played to a crowd as useful as cardboard cut-outs, and with the team news as mentioned previously in this thread, I can only see an away win here. Good luck all. :)