** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

133rd British Open Golf

Really looking forward to this. Retief Goosen 16/1 with Skybet - 5 pts win He`s going for a hat-trick after pipping Mickleson to win the US Open and most recently winning the Euro Open despite being knackered. He`s finished in the top 10 in 4 of the last 7 British Opens and I reckon he wont be far away come Sunday afternoon. There are few better players around at the moment. Stuart Appleby 50/1 widely available - 2.5 points E-Way Just lost out in the play off in this tounament 2 years back, he`s not been turning heads lately but has recently picked up and finished T5 in the Western Open. He`s not been punching his weight but the encouraging finish in the Western and the fact he likes a Links course, 50/1 is a biggish price for somebody who could be hitting a bit of form just at the right time. best of luck folks :ok

133rd British Open Golf I'm looking forward to myself Ian and could have a freebie of a ticket into the practise day tomorrow. I know sod all about golf really and was looking for some previous tournement placings and scores at Royal Troon but aint came up with too much. Anyone got any info? Horses for courses is my angle and might do a good amature or summat do do well foirst few days etc.

Re: 133rd British Open Golf I love watching the golf, but as anyone who has ever read any of my golf posts knows I cannot pick a winner to save my life. So instead of giving the players I am betting on as a guide I will give the list so that you can safely pass them over, and hopefully save yourselves a few quid. Stephen Ames - having a tremendous season, just broke his duck on the PGA Tour after weeks of consistently high finishes. This is only his 6th start in the Open, spread over the last 12 years, but he has made the cut on each ocassion, and had his highest finish at Troon (tied 5th) in 1997. Best price 40/1 Sergio Garcia - another having a decent season, I have said before that he does not get in contention enough, but he is very consistent in Major championships. He has played in the open 7 times, and missed the cut just once as a professional, he has finished top 10 in the last three years. Best Price 18/1 I wish everyone the best of luck with their picks and am looking forward to some great telly watching over the weekend. :ok

Guest jack pot

133rd British Open Golf new to this forum, so hope its ok to post. i enjoy the golf, and find that there is quite often money to be made from the 3balls. i bet on the two favourites where there is a third player at about 3/1. covering the two favourites usually give a price of about 1/6. this is not a great price, but i do 3 groups to give 1/2. again, its not a great price, but even when I bet on great prices the buggers lose!!

Re: 133rd British Open Golf Welcome to PL Jack :ok other than your 3 ball strategy, any thoughts on who`ll be there or thereabouts ? 2damn, i`m surprised Serg hasn`t not got a major to his name as yet but I don`t think he will be far away this weekend. Great player to watch.

Guest davidcampbell

ernie els i will be on the "big easy" as always for a major, good open record and got the temperament. interestingly, betfair have an "open winners" market containing els @ 2.02 woods@ 2.24 curtis @13 lawrie@20 duval@50 imo this market (only these count) is between els and woods so taking on the 2.02 gives a hedge in the "woods/els" market as ernie can be laid at 1.97 slight risk with curtis/lawrie/duval present but minimal imo. wont be on this market meself but the big hitters may like it. does anyone have holeinone stats. 1.78 no hole-in-1 looks long??

Guest jack pot

133rd British Open Golf once read that holeinone is 50/50 in a pro tournament. don't know how accurate this is, but it amazed me as its 50/50 i hit the fcuking ball with the end of me club.

133rd British Open Golf I remeber them fellas making money out of hole in ones a few years back Jack. They were getting silly odds from bookies (about 40/1) on there being a hole in one as the bookies were unaware that this happened in most tournements. They cleaned up. Aye it is still light in Scotland at that time Fritz but the sun dont shine too bright. Infact it doesnt really get dark round my way in the summer. Who's playing alongside Els the first 2 days? Isn;t there an ex winner there? I might have a few quid on whoever he is. I read about it but forget.

Guest Ra1nmaker

Re: 133rd British Open Golf Usually I prefer to wait until I’ve seen the 1st round before having a bet. But it’s the Open, so at this stage I’ll have a few quid e.w. on Padraig Harrington. He’s a consistent player, who has played well on links courses in the past and has a decent Open record. Although not in sparkling form so far this year I’m sure the Irishman can take the pressure. Especially if we get some wind and rain.

Guest jcaple

Re: 133rd British Open Golf Jack pot, theres a special on at Ladbrokes that might interest you, with regards to your 3-ball system:

To add to this we also have a fantastic 3-ball betting offer for you - if your player dead-heats in a 3-ball you will be paid out on your full stake at the full odds.

Guest pompeybelle

Re: 133rd British Open Golf Jack Pot - welcome. No value in 3 ball betting at all, although Laddies offer to pay out at full price is commendable. There are 8 possible results for a 3 ball so even by backing 2 golfers when the outsider is 3/1 will not pay. I'd leave it well alone.

Re: 133rd British Open Golf Some interesting 2-ball bets for the final round. 8.40am M Erlandsson to beat S Wilson @ 2.00 (Coral) Wilson shot a great 1st round, but it's been all downhill since then with a 75 and a 77. His opponent also hit a 3rd round 77, but you have to consider that there was a treble-bogey in there, unlikely to be repeated two days running. 1.30pm N Price to beat KJ Choi @ Evs (StanJames) Price has been very solid indeed this week, and should be a lot shorter to beat Choi after Choi's disappointing 3rd round. 1.40pm L Westwood to beat S Kendall @ 1.80 (WillHill) Westwood has been gaining momentum all week, and should have too much for Kendall who looked yesterday to be running out of steam. 2.00pm T Woods to beat S Verplank @ 1.61 (betfair) Woods showed signs of his best form in round 3, and if he can reproduce that he will beat Verplank.

Final Round Given the way the standings are heading into the final round, you just can't help but feel nicking that bit of 3.50(widely available) on Els to win The Open represents value. :b 1 shot behind leader Hamilton(also his partner for today), having been an Open Champion before at Muirfield(2002), he's certainly far more experienced and better poised to nick this than anyone as I wouldn't expect Hamilton to be anything more than a fly-by-night leader(following in Casey's footsteps after Round 1 and Levet's after Round 2). In which case, the only genuine contenders to the Big Easy's challenge would come from Goosen and Mickelson(yes, we better start believing this cnut has what it takes to win a Major :rollin ). Personally, I don't rate Woods' chances at all as 1.he's never come from behind for the final round to win a major and 2.he's focus and commitment remains questionable. For me, Ernie has certainly shown greater consistency - and this certainly holds the key coming into the final round - as he putted two rounds of 69 and a 68 for Round 3(compared to Goosen's Round 3 score of 68, coupled with a rather unimpressive 70 from Round 2). Mickelson, while he hasn't dropped a shot since the 17th hole in Round 1, may well bottle under the pressure yet again(as we all know only too well :rollin ) and I certainly wouldn't fancy him getting a final round score better than Els. :hat So unless some unheralded forces make an unforeseen charge to nick this, Els has only got this to lose IMO. :gimme

Guest dprovan

Re: Final Round edtkh I have to disagree with your logic mate. Firstly let me put my cards on the table I have a smallish bet on mickleson at 14s from start and bigger bet on els at 6/1 after first round when I thought Mickleson was out of it, so I hope els wins. However I see Goosen as a massive threat. You refer to his 3rd round as

a rather unimpressive 70 from Round 2).
he had 17 pars and one birdie on one of the toughest courses and certainly one of the toughest back 9s in the world. Ask yourself this with that level of consistency, and discipline what might he do if the putter is hot today. In addition to that he took on both els and mickleson in the last major and came out on top. Additionally Micklesons 2nd round was the best round I have seen so far and if he can do the same he will take some holding even by Els. Lastly dont forget that the fly by night Hamilton out scored Els yesterday, and many a 'fly by night' has won recent majors (Lawrie, curtis, to name but 2) So whilst I hope Els does win it, I really think this is at least a 3 horse race and I would not right off Goosen or Mickleson just so lightly..

Guest whoneedsrio

Re: Final Round The two most consistent players have been Els & Goosen & another Sub 70 round from either will take some beating. Mickelson is riding his luck somewhat, he should have been out of bounds but the gallery saved him & he hooked into the fence on the last & was lucky to have a shot, he’s always likely to have a bad hole as on the 17th at Shinicock. Hamilton is in unknown territory & if he sees off 4 or 5 of the worlds best he will deserve to win, can’t see it myself. Woods got off to a flyer yesterday & if he can do the same today 10/1 looks big to me. He still has the desire to win, maybe even more so since the so called slump & if he gets to the turn 3 under for the round it could have the others thinking. Levet had a poor back 9 yesterday when it looked like he might open up a gap & this could play on his mind. Can’t see anybody else shooting 63 or 64 & coming out of the pack, with the breeze up this back 9, apart from the 16th looks tough. I’ve had a small bet on Woods but I’m just hoping for a great afternoon in front of the telly. All the best, Rio.

Re: Lucky?? dprovan, as things currently stand, Goosen's still on par for Round 4 after 5 holes. Sadly, I think that little difference(a Round of 70 on the course may not be that bad, but viewed in the context of the overall quality of the field, I'm confident to say that won't suffice to mount a serious challenge for the title). Even bloody Mickelson's not blowing it - yet! :b I'm still waiting for Mickelson to be overwhelmed though... :rollin Personally, I took Els on 7.2(large chunk of it) midway through Round 3 and a bit at 10(also midway through Round 3), but put a bit more at 3+ today just before the commencement of Round 4. So obviously, it'd be nice if he came in but it's a long way yet... bozzers, much as I'd like Mickelson to fluff it, he just seems that tad more confident since winning the US Masters...never know what could happen though..still a long way to go! :nana