** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Multi-tabling

deadlydaveLDN

I've always been a multi-tabler (if you include 2+ tables) but (apart from a brief experiment tiling 9 tables of 10NL) I've generally stuck to a max of 4 at once. I decided to experiment 12-tabling 25NL 6-max today, after reading an article which suggested stacking tables (ie putting them all on top of each other) instead of spreading them around the screen. The main advantages of this are - You barely have to move the mouse around, saving valuable time to think about decisions. - Once you've made your decision you move onto another table (which pops up) and another decision, and don't see your bad beats once you're all in. - It's possible to play around 1000 hands/hr The main disadvantage is that you lose some reads and have to play a slightly more ABC game. But using HEM or PT helps with this. I've played just short of 2000 hands so far (tiny, tiny sample), running at 15BB/100 playing 20/16 (although according to HEM I'm running 0.6 buy-ins above EV). Going to try to play 100k hands over the next month or so and see what kind of stats I've got by the end of it. I'd probably be happy with 5BB/100. Anyway, just wondering what other people's multi-tabling habits/experience is like.

Re: Multi-tabling What software are you doing this on? I think that's a VERY significant issue. I wouldnt trust it to work on the likes of Boss/iPoker/microgaming etc, but should be better on Full Tilt and Pokerstars. I tried it once, quite a while ago, and kept timing out, and not knowing I had timed out (STTs) so then they just weren't popping up and I was getting blinded away. Could be seriously tempted to give it another go.

Re: Multi-tabling

What software are you doing this on? I think that's a VERY significant issue. I wouldnt trust it to work on the likes of Boss/iPoker/microgaming etc, but should be better on Full Tilt and Pokerstars. I tried it once, quite a while ago, and kept timing out, and not knowing I had timed out (STTs) so then they just weren't popping up and I was getting blinded away. Could be seriously tempted to give it another go.
Has been on FullTilt. Tables jump to the front and stay there until you act, and if you do get timed out it flashes on the menu bar at the bottom of the screen. At first it's a bit crazy with tables flashing and making sounds all over the place, but as long as you play on regular (not turbo) tables you have plenty of time to act. And not seeing the results of your all-ins takes a bit of getting used to.

Re: Multi-tabling When i first started multi-tabling cash on the small laptop screen i used stacking and it was great and easy to do 6tables on full tilt for the same reasons stated above. Now i have two 22" monitors it's a lot easier to play the 6 or 8 tables i usually play the main reason being i can scan all the tables in a split second and see where the worst hands/ situations are and be ready to muck those hands first then concentrate on the remaining tables. Rinse and repeat for 2k hands a day. (or less than 1k last month :lol). FWIW i've never had the sounds on any poker client i've ever used i can imagine they're uber annoying. When multi-tabling cash getting the ipod w/ headphones on is mandatory i just don't play well without this setup!

Re: Multi-tabling According to some rakeback calculator I googled (and I know they have a reputation for not being particularly accurate), if I were to play 5k hands/day @ 6-max 25NL (ie 5 and a bit hours of 1 tables) 5 days a week, I'd earn $1.7k in rakeback from full tilt every month. Don't worry, no planning to give up the day job just yet, but interesting nonetheless. Edit : Just searched 2+2 for a more reliable method of calculating rake, and I've come up with a figure of $1.1k. Definitely not giving up the day job.

Re: Multi-tabling i tend to multitable plo 6 max but ive never tried more than 6 tables,mainly due to the fact i'm usually playing about 70-80% of hands and it just gets too crazy.also i need a good read of other players whether they will push with something weak or only the nuts,so generally i will only play 4 tables(even then its mental:loon)

According to some rakeback calculator I googled (and I know they have a reputation for not being particularly accurate), if I were to play 5k hands/day @ 6-max 25NL (ie 5 and a bit hours of 1 tables) 5 days a week, I'd earn $1.7k in rakeback from full tilt every month. Don't worry, no planning to give up the day job just yet, but interesting nonetheless. Edit : Just searched 2+2 for a more reliable method of calculating rake, and I've come up with a figure of $1.1k. Definitely not giving up the day job.
I worked out if i played 90k hands a month (3k a day) @ 100nl i would get £1k a month in rakeback. But i'm not a robot i can only play when i'm in the perfect mood to do so which is why i only played 25k hands last month though i've played 16k already this month that's nowhere near what's needed for 90k and doubt i'll ever do that many in a month. The majority are best off playing fewer tables when on their game then lots of tables all the time just for rakeback (as shown by some huge grinders on PTR :lol) but each to their own.

The main disadvantage is that you lose some reads and have to play a slightly more ABC game. But using HEM or PT helps with this.
I think that my main concern is probably tracking the betting history within a hand... i.e. who was the pre flop raiser? Did he check raise me? etc...

I think that my main concern is probably tracking the betting history within a hand... i.e. who was the pre flop raiser? Did he check raise me? etc...
This is a very good point, something i hate when i'm not fully concentrated playing 8 tables is missing player actions before it's come to me or forgetting what's gone on as they're hugely important bits of info so it must be 10x harder stacking.

This is a very good point' date=' something i hate when i'm not fully concentrated playing 8 tables is missing player actions before it's come to me or forgetting what's gone on as they're hugely important bits of info so it must be 10x harder stacking.[/quote'] I'm officially the World's Worst Multi-Tabler, but I imagine that's a lot worse when you have similar hands at the same time on two tables?

Re: Multi-tabling Yeah with them you honestly cant go wrong say your even just 8 tabling and browsing webistes the table that needs you just pops up auto to its nearly impossible to miss an action infact it tilts me when I'm now 20 tabling, browsing websites and a table pops up these days lol

Re: Multi-tabling I would think in the long run for cash playing ~4 tables and trying to improve is more likely to earn more in the long term. Personally at 6 tables I start thinking about decisions less and taking standard lines with no attempt to hand read but I suspect everyone is different in terms of number of tables they can play and keep their game up to scratch.

I used to multi-table MTTs on Laddies (up to 6) without much trouble' date=' however I multi-tabled on Betfair (4/5) for the first time tonight and didn't play well, it wasn't easy. I think it's easier on certain sites.[/quote'] Definitely. I've found Full Tilt to be the easiest, Betfair one of the worst.

• 1 year later...

Re: Multi-tabling I think i can answer your question. I play with a 42 inch tv as monitor, and its very good, with good definition. You can play 12 tables at a time with no over lap. So even if your a break even player, you can get points and bonuses much easier. I was playing at Poker Stars, but fell out with them. Long Story. Any way just joined Full Tilt, not sure of the set up yet. The graphics look awesome. I do know the sngs will take longer to fill up, as p/stars is the biggest site.

• 4 weeks later...

I think i can answer your question. I play with a 42 inch tv as monitor, and its very good, with good definition. You can play 12 tables at a time with no over lap. So even if your a break even player, you can get points and bonuses much easier. I was playing at Poker Stars, but fell out with them. Long Story. Any way just joined Full Tilt, not sure of the set up yet. The graphics look awesome. I do know the sngs will take longer to fill up, as p/stars is the biggest site.
I was thinking of doing that. It sounds like it works really well. You are just hooking up your computer through an HDMI cable? I am kinda non-tech savy.