** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009)

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) People do make a big old deal out of Celtics HOME record. Its not the best in EUrope by no means. Not even close. Most teams are tough to beat and are strong at home, but i dont think Celtic are anything Special to any other team in Europe, and Dinamo Moscow have shown that they are beatable in Glasgow last week. Not many teams beat Liverpool at Anfield, Not many TEams beat Chelsea at the Bridge, and not many Teams beat Man Utd at Old Trafford, but everyone seems to make a big deal about Celtics HOme record. The only record Celtic hold in the CHampions league is the Worst Away Record of all time. lol.. Fewest number of wins away from home Since the inception of the Champions League in 1992, Celtic have played 26 games away from home, including qualifying rounds and won just three. However, excluding the qualifying rounds, in the group and Last 16 stages Celtic have played 23 games away from home and won none. Indeed their last victory away from home in the Europe's top competition, excluding qualifying rounds, came in the first round of the old European Cup in season 1986–87, a 1–0 victory over Shamrock Rovers of the Republic of Ireland. This record is the worst of any team that has played in the group stages of the UEFA Champions League more than once.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) GayGambler I think the home performance stands merit though, cant include away history as its not an away game. At home Celtic do have a solid record against English teams winning 4 and drawing 3 of 8 matches. They managed a 1-1 draw and a 1-0 win against Man Utd, they have won 17 of 25 home games with teams such as Lyon, Milan and Juventus all failing. There is something about Celtic when playing at home on European nights, so for that reason it cant be disregarded. As for the last game, well you can say it was the first time the team had played with one another and under a new manager, minor blip. Cmon The Tick :D:D

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) Hi, 2 pages of Celtic vs Arsenal talks and still no clear betting verdict :lol ...I'm romanian so my betting tip would be Timisoara scores at least one goal. Reasoning: Stuttgard conceaded 4 goals in the first two rounds of the Bundesliga,ok 2 were from Wolfburg away ,but 2 were from freiburg at home :unsure ...Vfb have a decent defence,but their offensive stile of play sometimes leaves a lot of space between the midfield and defence,something that Timisoara can take advantace of. The counterattack is the main strategy for the Timisoara coach ,as it has proven a good choice against Shatior, with 2 goals in Donetk and 5-6 very good chances to score at home,so there is a really big chance we will manage at least one goal aganist Vfb Stuttgart :hope

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) Oh yeh i agree, they deserve credit for sure..No doubt. THey are difficult at home, but they are beatable. I feel Arsenal could win there with a full squad of fit players quite easily, the only reason i wont take arsenal to win tonight, is because they have a load of players struggling with knocks and the season has only just started. Arsenal are far from at full strength by the looks of it and thats the problem. I will see who makes the starting line up before i come to a final Conclusion. I probably wont even bet on this game, but if Arsenal have a weak team out, then Celtic on the AH +0.5 looks ok i guess. The Value lies on Celtic at the moment as the bookies are relying on everyone backing Arsenal..

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) The CL qualifying games, tonight, have three away teams as favorites (Arsenal, Olympiakos, and Stuttgart). All three teams are better than their opposition (Celtic, Sheriff and Timisiora) on paper and there is a good chance that all three may win tonight. BUT, the CL qualifying matches involve TWO games (home/away) and we have the importance of the away goal/s to consider. Hence, I would be careful about bets on away teams that are favourites at the odds offered. Sure, Arsenal can defeat Celtic. Dynamo Moscow defeated Celtic in Scotland, but the odds for their win were not 2.00. The thing is that all of the favourites can get a draw or even a 2-1 loss and still go back to their home venue and get the result that allows them to qualify. The main objective is QUALIFYING and that doesn't necessarily involve winning away games. In the end, imo, the issue is the odds for a given result and not who is conceivably the better or worse team. Therefore, I am not sure that I would take Arsenal, Olympiakos or Stuttgart to win tonight. The odds are valueless....

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) The odds are stitched up on this match in my opinion, the bookies know that everyone will wanna jump on Arsenal. So they are roping everyone in. Its not worth backing them at those prices with Injuries and stuff. The only way to go here is to go against the flow from my experience and take the better deal off the bookies. The home game will be different, and u wil see crappy odds of about 1.20 on Arsenal to win at home. This game will probo end up a score draw or a 2-1 to celtic and most people will lose money on it because of the way the odds are set out. Thats why the AH+0.5 is in my opinion the best Value here. Squad line ups are paramount in a game like this, it could easliy go any way, so its best to wait to the last moment or bet in play.. Sorry forget the AH.. with i mentioned earlier i prefer this 1X @ 1.74 Celtic seems a better bet than taking Arsenal to win @1.95 I think that is more sensible..

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) Bit of selective stats picking there, gaygambler. You can forget the Moscow game since that was a pre-season match. Celtic were well short of match fitness, as demonstrated by their easy overturning of the 1st leg result away in Moscow. Celtic's home record stacks up against anyone's and when you consider the sides that they've beaten there, it looks even more impressive. Having said that, I reckon this is a terrible match up for Celtic. Arsenal are the worst possible opponents for Celtic and Mowbray's style of play is right up Arsenal's street. I don't see any value in the match, the odds are shocking.

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) Price on Arsenal is an overreaction to their win on the weekend. They play with great flare but everytime they play a team that plays extremely physical, they tend to crumble. I don't think Celtic will intend to play any sort of beautiful football, just hold their ground and muscle their younger opposition around. That being said don't know if Celtic will win but I'm pretty confident they won't get beaten handsomely, this game could get very ugly

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) As good as both teams looked at the weekend I think ill agree with TM that this could be an ugly game. Im tempted by the draw but I just have a nagging feeling that Arsenal are just going to be too much for Celtic tonight and will take a lead into the second leg. Ive gone with Arsenal -1. Ive gone with this purely because I believe Celtic will not hold them to a 0-0 and if anyone is going to score its going to be Arsenal. If they concede early I really fear for Celtic.

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) One good match against Everton is not enough for me to trust that this will be good season for Gunners, but... this is only a Celtic. Side with poorer transfers than last years(who is Marc-Antoine Fortuné?! Is it a joke? He really cost 4.4 euro?! Is this reinforcement?!). In last season they showed that are weak team. Aalborg from Denmark was better than them in Champions League and Glasgow Rangers won the title in Scotland Premier. Times when Celtic was really solid team are gone. Now they are just average side who were without any luck in 4th round draw. Celtic defence is shaky, especially when they play against teams who have speed & technique. Goalkeeper Boruc was great two years ago, but now he is a big question mark, he can play great or he can play ugly. Boruc has big problems with concentration, he is not a pro-player, he still kick the ball without any preparation and he has problems with crosses, corner kicks. The only chance for Celtic is fact that this is only first leg, Arsenal could be a bit lazy and can wait for re-match at London. Sorry for my English.

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009)

Oh the other thing we also have to think about is...... Tony Mowbray...is he really capable of managing a CL squad?
Of course he is. Has already ended a poor European away run albeit in the qualifying stages and not the group stages. He has breathed fresh life into a side which had been made mundane and predictable by Strachan's tactics and management. If Celtic lose tonight it won't be to do with TM it will be because we are playing a top side.

One good match against Everton is not enough for me to trust that this will be good season for Gunners, but... this is only a Celtic. Side with poorer transfers than last years(who is Marc-Antoine Fortuné?! Is it a joke? He really cost 4.4 euro?! Is this reinforcement?!). In last season they showed that are weak team. Aalborg from Denmark was better than them in Champions League and Glasgow Rangers won the title in Scotland Premier. Times when Celtic was really solid team are gone. Now they are just average side who were without any luck in 4th round draw. Celtic defence is shaky, especially when they play against teams who have speed & technique. Goalkeeper Boruc was great two years ago, but now he is a big question mark, he can play great or he can play ugly. Boruc has big problems with concentration, he is not a pro-player, he still kick the ball without any preparation and he has problems with crosses, corner kicks. The only chance for Celtic is fact that this is only first leg, Arsenal could be a bit lazy and can wait for re-match at London. Sorry for my English.
This is a frighteningly accurate summary of Celtic last season. You are spot on in this assessment. However, the new manager is finally getting the best out of players, playing to their strengths, everyone has been given a clean slate and we will see a far better Celtic side this year. We have moved on a few of the older players in the squad ( Hartley & Vennegoor of Hesselink) and replaced them with the younger and more mobile N'Guemo and Fortune. This tie is still quite early for a side in the early part of a transition period but while you are correct Celtic were woeful last season, a re-building job is on the way and Celtic already from pre-season, the European qualifier and first SPL game, look a far better side than the one last season which as you say was distinctly average.

I don't know if it's allowed to post a link to my web site on here so I will just post a partial preview for the FCK-APOEL match in here. Feel free to check back there for plenty more. Anyone who follows the European football scene a bit more should have no dilemma about the winner here. The bookies set a bit too high odds on FCK, and it seems they are just giving too much credit to APOEL due to their elimination of Partizan, despite the fact they’ve played some pretty average football in that matchup, and progressed primarily thanks to a bad tactical and physical preparation of their opponent, and not much due to their own quality. The Danes are known to be a side that really quickly raises their form, they’re very organized and disciplined, and are playing one totally attacking and attractive football, and I simply don’t see how will the slow and veteran squad from Cyprus manage to do anything against more famous and a lot stronger opponent. The most realistic scores here are some 3 or 4:0, so a straight home win, together with the AH and EH bets should be the right choices for this match. GL. FC Copenhagen-APOEL Nicosia 1 AH (-2) @4.40 from Bet365
are you for real?-2 handicap for the danes to win?i'm asking my self how much did you bet on that.are you awere of the last results of fck?they suck big time! i won't put a dime on that kind of bet,but i will give some bucks on a draw.just like that!

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) Celtic v Arsenal Wenger is well used to this stage of the competition, having contested a qualifying play-off in each of the past three seasons. Arsenal have consistently shown that they are a cut above many, though by no means all, of the other teams involved at this stage of the competition, and have regularly gone on to compete in the later knock-out rounds. The financial consequences of not progressing through to the lucrative group stages are dire, and in each of the last 3 years Arsenal have come through this round comfortably to make sure of the windfall: 06/07 Dinamo Zagreb 1 - 5 Arsenal (agg) 07/08 Sparta 0 - 5 Arsenal (agg) 08/09 Twente 0 - 6 Arsenal (agg) What sticks out for me is that in each of these ties, Arsenal were drawn away in the first leg, with some potentially tricky opponents to overcome, however by the time the second (home) legs came around, the job had already been done, with the following results achieved: Zagreb 0-3 Arsenal Sparta 0-2 Arsenal Twente 0-2 Arsenal These results made the return fixtures in London pretty much a formality. Wenger obviously impresses on his players the fact that a good result in the first leg can effectively finish the tie as a contest, and this has been a successful tactic over the past 3 years. I see no reason for Arsenal not to try and continue this trend. Of course, trying to continue the trend and actually achieving a good result are two different propositions, especially in front of a passionate Celtic crowd, but I think Wenger has the guile and experience to ensure his players come away with the result they want. Arsenal did the double over Mowbray's WBA in the EPL last year, and beat Celtic comfortably pre-season (though this was pre-season of course). I won't get carried away with their result against a troubled Everton last weekend, though it will have done their confidence no harm, but I think Arsenal's firepower and experienced defensive line will be too much for Celtic, and I expect them to try and win the tie tonight. Pick: Arsenal win to nil @4 (Tote)

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) My bet's: FC Timisoara - Vfb Stuttgart - 2 FC Timisoara - Vfb Stuttgart - over 2.5 FC Timisoara - Vfb Stuttgart - both teams score Celtic - Arsenal - Arsenal to score at least 2 goals Sporting - Fiorentina - 2

ventspils v FC Zurich Ladbrokes shops have limited wagers on the away side at a max of £100. What does this suggest? and why would the bookies do this?
'Cause Ventspils aren't a very good side. They did well to beat Borisov on away goals last round, fair play. However, that's the way the two sides should be - there shouldn't have been a gulf between them, it's just that Borisov had a very good squad last year and let themselves down this year. However, Zurich are a better club from a better league with good goalscoring ability. I'd be surprised if they didn't win this game.

are you for real?-2 handicap for the danes to win?i'm asking my self how much did you bet on that.are you awere of the last results of fck?they suck big time! i won't put a dime on that kind of bet,but i will give some bucks on a draw.just like that!
Lately they've not played so well but they're got a very capable squad and are a dangerous side to play. APOEL Nicosia will score here, I feel confident on that. However, I think Copenhagen will score quite a few too. The scoreline in my head is 3-1. I wouldn't go -2 on this game but I'd consider -1. Good luck all!

My bet's: FC Timisoara - Vfb Stuttgart - 2 FC Timisoara - Vfb Stuttgart - over 2.5 FC Timisoara - Vfb Stuttgart - both teams score Celtic - Arsenal - Arsenal to score at least 2 goals Sporting - Fiorentina - 2
Reasoning? :unsure I would go with Fiorentina, but Sporting have played more games so far, and despite stumbling against Twente, Fiorentina have had a poor pre-season. I think for me under 2.5 is almost 10/10....if there is such a thing. Timasora knocked out Shakhtar, so for me Stuttgart to win is a tricky one. Arsenal are in free scoring form, and are at full strength after finally getting rid of Adebayor, so I like the look of them to score 2. :ok

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) Olympiacos 71 Antonis Nikopolidis 4 Olof Mellberg 7 Luciano Galletti 10 Diogo 11 Jaouad Zairi 14 Michał Żewłakow 15 Raúl Bravo 20 Dudu 21 Avraam Papadopoulos 25 Enzo Maresca 28 Cristian Raul Ledesma Sheriff

• 1 Stanislav Namaşco
  • 5 Vazha Tarkhnishvili
  • 7 Andrei Corneencov
  • 10 Aleksandr Erokhin
  • 11 Alexandru Suvorov
  • 14 Benjamin Balima
  • 15 Igor Karpovich
  • 17 Florent Rouamba
  • 18 Constantin Arbănaş
  • 21 Amath Diedhiou
  • 22 Luis Antonio Rodriguez

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) Placed Bets £129.20 - Arsenal Win (1.98) £200 - Lay 0-0 Half Time Score (3.05) Don't think it will be a quiet first half, predict a fast flowing game, could be a goal as early as the 10th - 20th minute, thats why I am laying the score being 0-0 at half-time as I think the lay odds are not bad for this. I do think Arsenal have enough quality to finish off Celtic in this tie in the 1st leg, sure Wenger will set out to do this, and I dont think Celtic have enough quality in there side to stop Arsenal. Quite fancied over 2.5 goals also, but thought these two were enough and better chance. Hope its a cracker :D

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) Looking at that Celtic squad, 3 or 4 with no European experience add to that Mowbray no European experience, has to be said Arsenal are red hot favourites for tonights game, everyone knows Celtic Park is a really tough place to go but i really cant see past an Arsenal win tonight by 2 goals, Arshavin & Van Persie must be relishing the prospect of playing against Boruc in goal - very dodgy keeper!!

Celtic

Lineup [4-4-2]

1A. Boruc
2A. Hinkel
5G. Caldwell
48D. O´Dea
11D. Fox
46A. McGeady
18M. Donati
6L. N´Guemo
13S. Maloney
10M. Fortuné
7S. McDonald

Lineup [4-4-2]

1M. Almunia
3B. Sagna
10W. Gallas
5T. Vermaelen
22G. Clichy
52N. Bendtner
17A. Song
4C. Fabregas
15. Denilson
11v. R. Persie
23A. Arshavin

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) That squad is completely wrong.... Samaras up front on his own with McDonald & Fortune on the bench. Just heard that amazing stat, no English club has beaten Celtic at Parkhead in a European Competition since Nottingham Forest back in 1982. :notworthy Good luck to those on Arsenal at EVS :puke

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) Watched sporting lisbon on the weekend and they looked so poor. Passed the ball around so so slowly. Looked all over the place defending set pieces and just look poor all round. I could not beleive that it was the sporting that i am used to watching. Fiorentina in Mutu & Gilardino up top will cause all kinds of problems and i think tonigt for me Fiorentina can exploit Sporting unless Sporting really really up their game.

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) Updated line-ups, previous was from this afternoon: Boruc, Hinkel, Caldwell, Loovens, Daniel Fox, N'Guemo, Scott Brown, Donati, Maloney, McGeady, Samaras. Subs: Zaluska, Naylor, McDonald, Fortune, Flood, McCourt, O'Dea. Almunia, Sagna, Vermaelen, Gallas, Clichy, Song Billong, Fabregas, Denilson, van Persie, Arshavin, Bendtner. Subs: Mannone, Diaby, Eduardo, Ramsey, Silvestre, Eboue, Gibbs.