** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009)

All games can be seen LIVE here LINK

18 August 2009
19:45Celtic (14/5)Draw (12/5)Arsenal (11/10)match-odds.gif
19:45FC Kbh (6/11)Draw (3)APOEL Nicosia (6)match-odds.gif
19:45FC Sheriff (4)Draw (5/2)Olympiakos (4/5)match-odds.gif
19:45Poli Timsoara (3)VfB Stuttgart (18/19)Draw (5/2)match-odds.gif
19:45 Sporting CP (11/8)Draw (9/4)Fiorentina (2)match-odds.gif
20:00 Levski Sofia (3/4)Draw (5/2)Debrecen (74/17)match-odds.gif
20:00 Lyon (5/11)Draw (16/5)Anderlecht (27/4)match-odds.gif
20:00 Panathinaikos (8/5)Draw (9/4)Atletico Madrid (24/13)match-odds.gif
20:00 Salzburg (11/13)Draw (12/5)Maccabi Haifa (39/11)match-odds.gif
20:00 Ventspils (21/10)Draw (23/10)FC Zurich (7/5)match-odds.gif

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) Celtic v Arsenal After Arsenal opened the season with a 6 goal spectacular yesterday things look rather worrying for Celtic who although are capable of producing some good football up against an inform Arsenal side Celtic don't look to be ending Tuesday night on a positive note. Arsenal 2.04 Betfair

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) I'm a little undecided on Celtic vs Arsenal. Celtic are the kind of side Arsenal hate playing against - workers, men behind the ball etc. I personally wouldn't class Arsenal's 6-1 win as an excellent display per se but moreso an absymal defensive display by a usually reliable side that just didn't show up. Don't get me wrong, Arsenal did what they had to efficiently and won the game, fair play to them. They weren't at their best by any stretch of the imagination, however, so I wouldn't read too much into that.

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) Celtic v Arsenal - LAY Arsenal @ 2.08 Betfair (£1993 to LAY) Much is being made of Arsenal's 6-1 thrashing of Everton but some maybe overeacting to that performence, don't get me wrong they looked great and some of there football was top class but Everton clearly did not turn up and have a few problems in the last week, Arsenal have now become layable at this price. I'm sure we've heard it all before but Celtic at home in Europe on a night like this is a righting place to go to and we will have to see how these 'young' gunners react, Celtic are on good form themselves with the win in Moscow and then an easy victory away to Aberdeen in the league, I've seen a few big teams go to Celtic Park and not come away with a result and it will be no shock to see Arsenal do them same, good game in prospect.

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009)

Just to add a slight concern for me would be that the celtic manager tries to play 'football' against Arsenal' date=' this would be a big big mistake but I hope he does not.[/quote'] I'm of the same opinion as yourself here but here's a quote from the SundayHerald which may re-assure you. " I don't think we can take them on in an open, expansive match," Mowbray said. " But no-one said that is what we need to do. I watched Manchester United play Barcelona last year and from the kick-off they understood that they couldn't play their normal game. Every team changes their tactics, that doesn't mean they change their philosophy."

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) I don't get how you can lay Arsenal with the attacking options we've got. We're bound to make chances and with the likes of Arshavin, Van Persie, Bendtner, Eduardo, Walcott, Cesc and even Denilson we're more than likely to convert one or two of them. Our 3 man midfield we now play with should nullify their 'hard working' midfield (basically means they cant play football.) Wenger will be keen to keep the momentum from Saturday and I'm tempted by the -1 on Arsenal at 19/10 with Bet365 and also the -2 at 341/50

I don't get how you can lay Arsenal with the attacking options we've got. We're bound to make chances and with the likes of Arshavin, Van Persie, Bendtner, Eduardo, Walcott, Cesc and even Denilson we're more than likely to convert one or two of them. Our 3 man midfield we now play with should nullify their 'hard working' midfield (basically means they cant play football.) Wenger will be keen to keep the momentum from Saturday and I'm tempted by the -1 on Arsenal at 19/10 with Bet365 and also the -2 at 341/50
' Hard working' is a bit harsh on our midfielders, we have some good footballers in there. Strachan did his best to strangle their quality but under Mowbray the good footballers will be allowed to express themselves. I can see though how someone from England like Mozzi who has only seen Celtic play in Europe under GS in the last few years would think this though. Arsenal have better players though and look in scintillating form. We have some very impressive European scalps at Celtic Park and beaten the best before but its always a titanic battle and Arsenal have always been one of my nightmare teams to draw as on their day when the click they are irresistible. No bet for me.

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) hello all, im new here, i managed to turn 35 euros to 120 euros this weekend..All my teams won in EPL and Marseille in French league and Barcelona i Super Cup... However, Im an arsenal fan...and have placed 20 euros on them moments ago before odds start decreasing again? Do you think it was a right thing to do?

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) Here we go Champ league again. Celtic v Arsenal It would be fair to say Celtic have a good record at home in the SPL and CHamps League. They were beaten though not so long ago by a team from RUssia callled Dinamo Moscow at home. 0-1. Now Arsenal will have no problems progressing over the 2 legs, and dont think any serious gambler would question that, but Celtic do have a chance of getting a draw at home or maybe a slender victory at home. But after seeing Arsenal at the weekend, plus added players like Walcott if fit. Arsenal are capable of finishing off the tie in Glasgow. There are 3 possiblities here but I would lay Celtic personally, as I think Arsenal will be able to hold Celtic to atleast a draw up north and finish it off in London.

Here we go Champ league again. Celtic v Arsenal It would be fair to say Celtic have a good record at home in the SPL and CHamps League. They were beaten though not so long ago by a team from RUssia callled Dinamo Moscow at home. 0-1. Now Arsenal will have no problems progressing over the 2 legs, and dont think any serious gambler would question that, but Celtic do have a chance of getting a draw at home or maybe a slender victory at home. But after seeing Arsenal at the weekend, plus added players like Walcott if fit. Arsenal are capable of finishing off the tie in Glasgow. There are 3 possiblities here but I would lay Celtic personally, as I think Arsenal will be able to hold Celtic to atleast a draw up north and finish it off in London.
Would have to agree with your thoughts on this game, although Celtic have awesome home record against the best teams in Europe i think that the quality of the Scottish leauge has slipped and looking at the opening games and results in games played so far in Europe it looks as though there could even be a bigger gap between the old firm and the rest. The best result i can see here for Celtic is escaping with a draw but they will have to be very carefull as Arsenal would have to be one of the best teams on the counter attack.

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) Arsenal will score atleast 1 goal up there, im very sure about that. So it depends whether or not Celtic can score 2 or more goals which is what they have to do to keep this tie alive, co if they dont score more than 1 goal Arsenal will be coming back home with a score draw or a win. I dont know how Celtic are gonna play this, because its mission impossible. The only way Celtic could have a possibilty of qualifying is by achieving a 1-0 or 2-0 result. That aint gonna happen. Celtic have to take the game to Arsenal, Celtic have to try and win the game and score a couple of goals to nil to have a realistic chance of going through. So that means they will have to push all game while Arsenal can sit back and wait for their moments. Arsenal only really need a score draw to take back home and i dont see that being a problem, then they will do the finishing touches at home. The only problem is, its not easy to make alot of money out of laying Celtic. Cos the odds are sh>t

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) Pretty arogant and pratronising comments coming from certain Arsenal quarters. Take Celtic plus half on AH. I personally think (and hope) Celtic will beat Arsenal at Parkhead. It was such a breath of fresh air to watch Celtic playing football again, against Aberdeen and Moscow their game was a joy to behold, the "Big Man" would be proud. Much bigger teams than Arsenal have gone to Celtic Park and come away licking their wounds Celtic Go Bragh.

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) I have no love for either Celtic or Arsenal but the two prevailing factors are Celtic's tremendous home record in europe and Arsenals recent inability to break sides down that can defend reasonably well and more importantly 'get at' them..Arsenal may as well be a Spanish team as they display no characteristics that English sides normally do (this is not a bad thing!), they have little fight and if Celtic hassle, hassle, hassle for 90 mins they may well get a draw or be able to nick a goal..I dont read much into the Everton game as Everton were so bad it was untrue..Celtic have beaten better teams than Arsenal at Celtic Park in recent years, and to be honest I hope they beat Arsenal as it will open up some good betting possibilities for the second leg which I think Arsenal should win by a couple..this match is a no bet for me..

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) The thing is a lot of Celtic fans are praising the way their team is now 'playing football'. That's fair enough but thats the sort of team Arsenal play best against. My view is that Celtic are definately not a bad team, but that Arsenal are just very strong at the moment and very under-estimated. Gallas and Vermaelen look to have a solid partnership and compliment well. Techincally we turn into a 5 man midfield when defending which makes it very hard for teams to play football round us as we close the ball down really quickly. I remember last year when we went to the 'fortress' at Fenerbache and beat them 5-2, or when we went to the 'fortress' San Siro and beat Inter 5-1 in 2003. I just think we have too many options and too much strength all over the pitch for Celtic really, and I'm happy to take Arsenal -1.

I don't get how you can lay Arsenal with the attacking options we've got. We're bound to make chances and with the likes of Arshavin' date=' Van Persie, Bendtner, Eduardo, Walcott, Cesc and even Denilson we're more than likely to convert one or two of them. [/quote'] Haha I rate Arsenal's attack and agree with all of those names barring Bendtner - come on! This guy needs four chances to score a goal at least, generally! Van Persie is lethal on his day though.

' Hard working' is a bit harsh on our midfielders' date=' we have some good footballers in there. Strachan did his best to strangle their quality but under Mowbray the good footballers will be allowed to express themselves. I can see though how someone from England like Mozzi who has only seen Celtic play in Europe under GS in the last few years would think this though. [/quote'] Bit harsh to name-drop, really, considering I do watch Celtic in the league too on occasion. It's one thing playing against sides that would struggle to cope in the English Championship though, and it's another playing in Europe. Celtic can play football, I'd not dispute that, but there's no denying that Celtic turn their midfield talents to being more "combative" in Europe because their opponents are bigger players on bigger wages etc.

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) "Cesc Fabregas, who netted twice in the Gunners' 6-1 demolition of Everton at Goodison Park at the weekend, is also rated "50-50" according to the broadcaster. Denilson, who also scored on Saturday, is also doubtful, as is defender Bacari Sagna. Celtic have injury problems of their own, with Dutch defender Glenn Loovens having limped out of Saturday's 3-1 at Aberdeen with a knee problem, and dynamic winger Shaun Maloney troubled with a knock during the same game. Gary Caldwell should return to the Bhoys' back four after being suspended for the weekend trip to Pittordrie."

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) Wenger actually said Cesc has a better than 50-50 chance so I think he'll play at least an hour. Sagna and Denilson can be easily replaced by Eboue and Ramsey and Walcott was never expected to start anyway.

Bit harsh to name-drop' date=' really, considering I do watch Celtic in the league too on occasion. It's one thing playing against sides that would struggle to cope in the English Championship though, and it's another playing in Europe. Celtic can play football, I'd not dispute that, but there's no denying that Celtic turn their midfield talents to being more "combative" in Europe because their opponents are bigger players on bigger wages etc.[/quote'] I don't disagree with that its just when SloppyJ said hard working basically means they can't play football which is untrue, McGeady and Maloney can play a bit and Donati has had a new lease of life in there. Your correct though, we will have to be combative and harass just to compete with Arsenal.

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) Although I'm not normally one for over-reacting.....but, nothing can be taken away from Arsenal's 6-1 demolition of Everton. I'm in the camp that applauds a fantastic result, rather than playing it down by using varied excuses. Celtic know they need a win at home to have any chance of progressing. They can't play for a draw and hope they win the away leg, because it just won't happen. That will play into Wenger's style of football. For me it's a no brainer. I'd take Arsenal over Celtic home or away at any stage of the season. They don't usually make hard work of these qualifying ties.

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) As I read in the paper today... lately Arsenal have been sensational but they are NOT invincible. Celtic will be more attacking under Mowbray but I hope he realises if we leave too much space at the back and are caught on the counter, Arsenal will punish us, it's not Aberdeen or Falkirk etc we are playing. Do I think we can win? Of course I do, we have beaten some giants at Celtic Park over the years but this Arsenal side is magnificent and if they are on their 'A' game it will be very difficult for us.

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) Celtic will come out roaring in the first half, as they always do at home in Europe, especially against English opposition against whom they have a pretty impressive record. There's almost certain to be goals, and despite Mowbray trying to rein his side in, they're going to come out swinging as soon as they hear the Parkhead roar. There will certainly be goals here, and I expect Arsenal to come out with the upper hand, perhaps in the form of a score draw. Not too keen to bet on this one as anything could happen, except a boring game.

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) I don't know if it's allowed to post a link to my web site on here so I will just post a partial preview for the FCK-APOEL match in here. Feel free to check back there for plenty more. Anyone who follows the European football scene a bit more should have no dilemma about the winner here. The bookies set a bit too high odds on FCK, and it seems they are just giving too much credit to APOEL due to their elimination of Partizan, despite the fact they’ve played some pretty average football in that matchup, and progressed primarily thanks to a bad tactical and physical preparation of their opponent, and not much due to their own quality. The Danes are known to be a side that really quickly raises their form, they’re very organized and disciplined, and are playing one totally attacking and attractive football, and I simply don’t see how will the slow and veteran squad from Cyprus manage to do anything against more famous and a lot stronger opponent. The most realistic scores here are some 3 or 4:0, so a straight home win, together with the AH and EH bets should be the right choices for this match. GL. FC Copenhagen-APOEL Nicosia 1 AH (-2) @4.40 from Bet365

I don't get how you can lay Arsenal with the attacking options we've got. We're bound to make chances and with the likes of Arshavin, Van Persie, Bendtner, Eduardo, Walcott, Cesc and even Denilson we're more than likely to convert one or two of them.
Simple fact the price is too short, Arsenal should be 2.50 here

Re: Champions Lge Qual (18/08/2009) Yeah agreed dont like the odds, Celtic at home also, there is always a chance they will get stuck in and about Arsenal, I am hoping that maybe Celtic get a win tonight and then betting on Arsenal to qualify outright hoping that there odds for this have moved to something I am a bit more happy with. In saying all that my bet for tonight on the Celtic v Arsenal game is: Half Time Score £200 Lay 0-0 - Liability £400 I predict there will be at least one or more goals in the 1st half.

Is Arshavin playing tomorrow?

Celtic

Lineup [4-4-2]

1 A. Boruc
2 A. Hinkel
5 G. Caldwell
48 D. O´Dea
11 D. Fox
46 A. McGeady
18 M. Donati
6 L. N´Guemo
13 S. Maloney
10 M. Fortuné
7 S. McDonald

Lineup [4-4-2]

1 M. Almunia
3 B. Sagna
10 W. Gallas
5 T. Vermaelen
22 G. Clichy
52 N. Bendtner
17 A. Song
4 C. Fabregas
15 . Denilson
11 v. R. Persie
23 A. Arshavin

I don't know if it's allowed to post a link to my web site on here so I will just post a partial preview for the FCK-APOEL match in here. Feel free to check back there for plenty more. Anyone who follows the European football scene a bit more should have no dilemma about the winner here. The bookies set a bit too high odds on FCK, and it seems they are just giving too much credit to APOEL due to their elimination of Partizan, despite the fact they’ve played some pretty average football in that matchup, and progressed primarily thanks to a bad tactical and physical preparation of their opponent, and not much due to their own quality. The Danes are known to be a side that really quickly raises their form, they’re very organized and disciplined, and are playing one totally attacking and attractive football, and I simply don’t see how will the slow and veteran squad from Cyprus manage to do anything against more famous and a lot stronger opponent. The most realistic scores here are some 3 or 4:0, so a straight home win, together with the AH and EH bets should be the right choices for this match. GL. FC Copenhagen-APOEL Nicosia 1 AH (-2) @4.40 from Bet365
If I were you I wouldn't be so sure of a home win here. Teams from Cyprus have done well in Europe during the past seasons, including the Champions League. They are often backed by wealthy owners and have lots of foreign players of very decent quality, so they will definitely not be push-overs like you suggest. Adding to that, if you discount the 7-1 demolition of promoted side HB Køge, FC Copenhagen have struggled to find their feet this season in the Danish SAS-ligaen, and most importantly they have struggled to convert their chances into goals. Therefore IMO the value lies in laying FC Copenhagen. My personal prediction for this match is a narrow home win or possibly a draw, but it's not a match that I would put any money on.