** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The "All Green" Grand National 2010 - NOW INCLUDING 2011!!

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2010 Thursday but I wouldn't expect to see much change now. There is talk that mr pointment might be pulled out so that the owners more fancied cerium can get in and the same with abbeybraney coming out to allow royal rosa to run but otherwise I think we can probably go with the top 40 as they currently stand

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2010 Need to finish the trading side of this off tonight as the ante post market closes tomorrow!! I'd like a couple of big winners and that may mean laying off some horses im already involved with. I'll have a play around and post up the final standings later.

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2010 I posted up my main fancies last week and the 2 I have chosen to go big on are Snowy Morning and State of Play and I have topped up on both. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Snowy Morning has a big chance. 3rd in this off 145 a couple of years ago, giving Comply or Die 4lb's and beaten 5 lengths. Spent most of the following season with a sky high mark, which he found tough, none more than in the 2009 National off 11 stone 8. Again, he completed the course but finished a distant 8th. This year has seen his mark drop to a more manageable 147, not necessarily through anything the horse has done wrong - he has been running at shorter trips and acquitting himself well. He has a great weight, is very consistent, has completed the Grand National course 2/2 and looks a contender to me.

State of Play is another who has experience over the National fences. Finished a good 4th last year off a mark of 150. Is now rated 145, the same mark off which he won the Hennessy in 2006. The stable have been pretty open about protecting his mark for another go at the National and if he gets there in one piece, after his injury issue, which explained his lacklustre run in the Hennessy, he will be a market leader. Although recent winners of this race have had a prep run within a couple of months before the race, it is clear that State of Play runs best when fresh so this shouldn’t be counted as a negative.

------------------------------------------------------- I have backed these to the tune of: Snowy Morning £16 @ 16.5 and State of Play £13.48 @ 23.0. I've had a £2 saver on Ballyfitz @ 95.0. He ran a good race in 5th in the Welsh Grand National and meets most of the trends. He has severe jumping issues which obviously isnt ideal for Aintree but if he can put it together has the class to make an impact. To fund these I have had to lay a couple. Big Fella Thanks and Maljimar, both of whom I have stamina doubts about, Flintoff who I cant see winning given his topsy turvy season, switching stables and only running once and Erics Charm, who reminds me of Rambling Minster from last year. has all the credentials to run well but is he classy enough?

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2010 Sorry but I don't understand what you're doing here would you mind explaining? Your betting for them to win, yet covering yourself if they lose? I know what backing is, and laying is to bet they don't win right? EDIT: Think I've got it now, you're basically at a profit no matter who wins, right?

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2010 Thanks for the kind words, im pretty happy with the way its turned out. :)

Sorry but I don't understand what you're doing here would you mind explaining? Your betting for them to win, yet covering yourself if they lose? I know what backing is, and laying is to bet they don't win right? EDIT: Think I've got it now, you're basically at a profit no matter who wins, right?
Almost. I make a profit on the horses i've backed. If any of the others win, I dont lose anything. Essentially i've got free bets on 18 of the field, with 10 big winners (£100 plus). Pretty happy in all, although I made a big call this morning to come out of Big Fella Thanks completely and lump it on Arbor Supreme. I'll post the updated spreadsheet later tonight as its stored on my laptop and i'm at work now.

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2010 Mr Pointment pulled out so that stablemate Cerium can run. Abbeybraney pulled out so that stablemate Royal Rosa can run. I'm not too bothered as I suppose the fact the trainers have pulled them out reflects the chance they had of winning but it still doesnt sit right with me. Mr Pointment apparently had a vets certificate (the equivalent of Dr Nick from the Simpsons?) and Abbeybraney apparently didnt eat up. Righto. :eyes

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2010 Overall, pretty hopeful that I’ve got the winner there.

Dangers for me are:

---------------------------------------------------------

Black Apalachi, but I cant bring myself to back a horse that has fallen twice in the National before.

The Package is perhaps coming into this a year early but is on a good mark and is a big danger if his comparative inexperience isn’t too much of a handicap.

Character Building has 2 no shows this season which isn’t encouraging.

Tricky Trickster didn’t show up in the Gold Cup and has been deserted by Ruby Walsh.

Comply or Die should go well but like last year will probably find one too good.

Ballyholland will struggle to stay.

King Johns Castle has shown nothing since his injury layoff.

Backstage hasn’t shown enough on the racecourse to justify the weight he has been given and carberry prefers King Johns Castle.

Irish Raptor is another who will struggle to stay.

Cloudy Lane
has surely had his best chance of winning it, as per My Will.

Vic Venturi is the main one that worries me if he can handle his big weight.

I would like to be bigger on Mon Mome too. His prep for this has been spot on.

But you cant back them all and difficult decisions have to be made.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, with stage one complete and successful – An ALL GREEN book :) we have to play the waiting game now to see if the second part is successful and I’ve backed the winner. Will this thread be a success come 4.30? Time will tell.

I’m out this evening but will update early tomorrow

Good luck everyone and thanks for following this thread :ok

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2010 Thanks chaps. Just noted OLLIE MAGERN is 200/1 at bet365, paying the first 5 home each way. Waaaaay too big. Surprised to see Heelo Buds price not moving much. He looks to be getting his ground now, thought he would be about half of the 40/1 is is currently trading at.

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2010 Good luck AK, fantastic thread and you deserve to win a few quid for your efforts :hope I'll admit to being a bit sceptical about this working out as well as it has but I'm more than happy to say "well done". Irrespective of the outcome, you've done what you set out to do and we'll certainly be looking out for your portfolio of horses. :ok