** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

UEFA Champions League » May 05/06

Tuesday 5 May 2009 Home Draw Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Arsenal v Manchester Utd (19:45BST) 2.84 3.40 2.80 100.34 % Details »
Hide « Arsenal v Manchester Utd
Wednesday 6 May 2009 Home Draw Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Chelsea v Barcelona (19:45BST) 2.88 3.40 2.72 100.90 % Details »

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: UEFA Champions League » May 05/06 Does anybody know what's going on with Henry?Is he in or out? Anyway @1.83 bet365 both teams to score looks very good.I expect open game as both teams have nothing to loose.Barca will be happy even with 1-1,2-2,3-3 while Chelsea need only a win(don't believe in 0-0 again :lol).Barca very confident after 6-2 away to Real. Messi about Chelsea game: "We will play in the same way against Chelsea as we did against Real and, playing like that, we will have many chances. "If we do things as we did on Saturday then we will score and go through. "This was a massive boost. We're going to London with great spirit and desire to fight and with a lot of belief that we'll go through. "We've come out of this with a renewed confidence and strength." Mybets will be: Both teams to socre @1.83 bet365 Barca to socre 2 or more 7/5 Paddy Power Barca To Qualify for the Next Round 8/13 Paddy power Messi anytime 21/10 Paddy Power Drogba anytime 9/5 PP Barca win 13/8 PP GL :hope

Re: UEFA Champions League » May 05/06

Does anybody know what's going on with Henry?Is he in or out?
Barcelona's Thierry Henry was forced to sit out a training session on Monday, but he should be fit to face Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday. Henry, 31, picked up a knee injury after scoring twice during Barca's 6-2 rout at Real Madrid on Saturday and was substituted towards the end. Barca will be without captain Carles Puyol, who is banned, and defender Rafa Marquez, who is out for the season. Martin Caceres could partner Gerard Pique at the heart of Barca's defence. Source : BBC Sport

Re: UEFA Champions League » May 05/06 What about Arsenal - ManU Over 0,5 goals in first HT @1,40 ? i think the first goal should scored in the first half, Arsenal will attack from beginning. 7 of ManUs last 9 away matches ended with goals in HT. And Arsenals 8 of their last 9 home games ended with goals in HT,too. I noticed that in CL always in the first minutes goals are scored! What do u think?

Re: UEFA Champions League » May 05/06 Barcelona will be brimming with even more confidence than normal after taking Madrid to the cleaners at the weekend.Andy Gray was his typical critical self on the last word on Sunday, where he cited Real's two goals as a major defensive issue that Chelsea could exploit.If this is the case, John Terry could be an each way price at 25/1 to breach the Spanish defence and I will be having a wee wager on him.Ivanovic for the same reason at 33/1 could be a snippet of value considering how he exceled against Rafa & Co from the corners.Also, when was the last time that Chelsea could be backed at Stamford Bridge at 7/4? Im guessing back in the Ranieri days. 0.5 points ew Ivanovic to score first goal at 33/1 with Ladbrokes 0.5 points ew John Terry to score first goal at 25/1 with Ladbrokes

Re: UEFA Champions League » May 05/06 Arsenal - Man U I think Man U will win the second match between theese two teams. Man U play perffect football and in the first game we see that team of Manchester was more stronger and played more offensive. arsenal is a good team but i think Man U has a better history and Sir alex know how to win this match. 1-0 is a good result in the last match between these two teams, but in match on 05.05 i think we will see more goals . Players like Rooney, Berba, Ronaldo and Tevez are one of the best in the world and will show us how the team will go to final I predict win for away team - Man U Tips 2 wish you luck and to earn money from these match :)

Re: UEFA Champions League » May 05/06 I wouldn't read too much into Barca's win at Real at weekend. It was a very convincing and comprehensive victory, but 7 out of 8 goals in the game were defensive errors. I wouldn't personally go for the "public bet" and back Barca - Barca haven't score against English opposition in their last three games now and their defensive frailties will be even more apparent when Puyol and Marquez don't play. My call is 1-0, most probably due to a set piece/cross that Barca seemingly have no ability to defend. I fancy Drogba to score a first-half goal, Chelsea to sit on the lead, Barca to have all the possession and do nothing with it like a slightly more advanced Arsenal side would. The only way I think you'll see a good game here is if Barca steal an early goal via set piece/Chelsea defensive error/dodgy ref and Chelsea have to really come out and play football or if Chelsea don't take their chances.

Barcelona will be brimming with even more confidence than normal after taking Madrid to the cleaners at the weekend.Andy Gray was his typical critical self on the last word on Sunday' date= where he cited Real's two goals as a major defensive issue that Chelsea could exploit.If this is the case, John Terry could be an each way price at 25/1 to breach the Spanish defence and I will be having a wee wager on him.Ivanovic for the same reason at 33/1 could be a snippet of value considering how he exceled against Rafa & Co from the corners.Also, when was the last time that Chelsea could be backed at Stamford Bridge at 7/4? Im guessing back in the Ranieri days. 0.5 points ew Ivanovic to score first goal at 33/1 with Ladbrokes 0.5 points ew John Terry to score first goal at 25/1 with Ladbrokes
This was my thinking aswell, don't intend currently on getting involved in the 1X2 market but felt a few small stakes first goalscorers could be worth a shot. Chelsea were always gonna try and outmuscle Barca and with Puyol and Marquez missing, they will try and use their physical advantages at set pieces to the maximum and the two that sprung to mind for me were John Terry & Didier Drogba, who will be out to rough up the Barca backline. Ivanovic is a good shout aswell as he will be a threat from set-pieces and showed he is capable with a brace at Anfield. Only had looked at William Hill and Bet 365 which had Terry at 20/1 and 22/1 respectively so 25's ew looks a decent price.

Paddypower have a very good offer on - If either Champions League Semi Final match goes to extra time they will refund all losing 1st / last goalscorer, correct score & scorecast singles on that match! :ok
Do they know more then us then? :tongue2:unsure Gonna be two though matches for sure. Wont be easy for Barcelona, Chelsea is a very good team which doesnt fit into Barca's style of playing really. Gonna be another annoying 90 minute (or more) minutes for Barcelona players and a very difficult job to fill center back position in a way that Drobga and friends dont have an easy job... Gonna skip and enjoy those, but I liked the goalscorer bets mentioned above already.. gonna try them probably :ok

Re: UEFA Champions League » May 05/06 Arsenal - Man Utd Selection: Draw 10/10 Skybet @ 3.40 (Back) There's no question as to the identity of the better team, Man U were superior to Arsenal in almost every aspect of the game and though it seemed to be a rather balanced affair Arsenal were lucky to get away with this result. Whether Man U will win or draw the game at the Emirates is the question. Two of the best defenses in the competition meet tonight. Arsenal have yet to concede a goal at the Emirates while United have only conceded in the 1:1 at Celtic Park. Man U have only scored 5 away goals, less than Roma(6), Inter(6), Porto(8) and all the other top scorers so I don't expect them to score many goals vs Arsenal. Arsenal have been consistent in scoring but with key defenders Ferdinand and Evra fit it will be hard to break down. All in all a draw will be a fair result to both sides, Arsenal may think it can overcome Man U at home but against a fit and determined Man U it seems too much to ask. Roberto Rosetti has refereed: 05/11/2008 Arsenal - Fenerbahçe 0:0 and 25/11/2008 Villarreal - Manchester United 0:0 I think tonight we'll see something similar 0:0 or 1:1. Good luck and god bless

Re: UEFA Champions League » May 05/06 Arsenal - Man Utd over 2.5 (2.22 @ pinnacle) While the first leg ended 1-0 to Man Utd, Arsenal were a bit fortunate it wasn't more as they seemed quite conservative in their play. Now back on their own ground, look to them to play their normal precise and fluent passing game, as they have the ability to open up any defence when this is working. Man Utd have some injury concerns with Ferdinand who maybe pplaying but anyone with a rib injury where they were coughing up blood is not going to be at their best. The rest of the defence have kept clean sheets in recent weeks but it can be said that they have been a bit fortunate that they hadn't conceded given there have been at times some uncertainty in their defending. Like the look of Arsenal to score here, at least one goal if not more as van Persie is expected to start alongside Adebayor and with Fabregas proving the service, they look ominous up front. Man Utd showed in the first leg they can score on an Arsenal side that is missing some regular defenders and look to them to exploit this once again. They are likely to hit them in the counter attack which if they score, means that Arsenal will need to be even more open in the backs. Expect Man Utd to score here, and force Arsenal to score again or they will concede another goal as they seek the lead in the tie

Re: UEFA Champions League » May 05/06 Arsenal and Manchester United both teams to score @ 1.83 Ladbrokes Manchester United have the advantage going into this game knowing that unless Arsenal score they are through. My reason for the selection is simple, Arsenal will come out the traps looking to score from the start and I feel that Man Utd always have a goal in them, Arsenal will score but Man Utd will also and it will be the team from Manchester that progress into the final.

Re: UEFA Champions League » May 05/06 Hi all, Arsenal V Manchester United - OVER 2.5 Goals...@ 2.15 (Bet365) Arsenal go into this match NEEDING to score at least one. This straight away suggests we will see a more attacking Arsenal tonight at the Emirates than the side that turned up to Old Trafford just under a week ago. With R Van Persie back in his side tonight Mr Wegner will be more confident of scoring a couple tonight than he was last week. In order for Arsenal to score they will need to play more offensivly this evening and that in turn will leave gaps and leaks in their team which Ronaldo and co have shown they can exploit. IF Arsenal score first we may see both teams tighten up a bit with both teams knowing that they are still in the tie, IF Man Utd score first then Arsenal will really have to have a go and score 3 to win the tie.....With Van Persie, Adebayor, Walcott, Nasri, Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez, Ronaldo all likely to feature tonight we cant help but imagine there will be goals. I understand most of these players were playing last week and there was only one goal, however tonights match is completely different, the difference is it HAS to be settled tonight so teams will not be holding back if they are heading out of the competition. I think the bookies have this one wrong, and I for one am going to stick a few points on the OVER 2.5 goals. GL all :hope:ok

Re: UEFA Champions League » May 05/06 Think this is gona be a cagey affair, arsenal cant afford to concede and utd can shut them out. (0-0 0-1 1-0) statisticly CL semi finals are usually tight. Under 2.5 4/6 120e small stake on Berbatov 0-1 @ 33/1.. can silence critics and scored in emirates last season

Re: UEFA Champions League » May 05/06 We'll watch very interesting match tonight. Van persie and Ferdinand comes back, but arsenal playing very good in premier league and i think they'll go to final with our supporter. They want final more than manchester. Van Persie will find big spaces and he should make goal. My choice is 1. Or if you don't love risk -> Over 2.5 !

SportFootball (Euro Cups)
EventArsenal vs Man Utd
SelectionMan Utd (Lay)
Strength10/10
Date05/05/2009
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 2.76 (Lay)
ReasoningLaying Manchester United is not the best way to go about making profits on a daily basis but I feel tonight they are well worth a lay at 2.76. United come into this with a 1-0 lead from last week and although Ferguson has stated his side will attack, I can see them holding back a little. Arsenal have a very good record at home against United and they beat them 2-1 at the Emirates in the Premiership back in November. Van Persie returning for Arsenal is a massive bonus and I feel they could well take the game to United tonight in front of their own support. Whatever the outcome I cannot see Man Utd winning here and the best option is to lay the champions in my opinion.

Re: UEFA Champions League » May 05/06 Paddy Power offer is quite realistic, the chances are neither of these games will go to e/t, man utd probaly will score a goal regardless so e/t is non possible, likewise Barca probaly will score a goal also, so e/t is non possible and if they dont Chelsea will and they will then keep there lead. Quite like the all english final, evens

Re: UEFA Champions League » May 05/06 for me the Arsenal - ManU match is a nobet, despite of the fact that the odds are very interessting. but.. - Arsenal didn´t receive a goal in this season at home in premier league (2009) - only two goals against London in the last 13 games overall They´re very strong at home! ManU with more experience in Champs league and Ferguson wanna win the 4th CL title in this year. ManU with the better single players especially Chr. Ronaldo. He can decide a match. ManU is infront 1-0 and know that they aren´t sure in the final. And they know that Arsenal have a great defense at home. So both coaches are excellent and know that they can be defensive and wait what happen or they attack the opponent. but i can´t see what they plan. the tatics are very important here I think. Arsenal won the last time when ManU visit them in november of 2008 2-1 at home. ManU get the last win in the north of London in 2005 (2-4). But it´s the half final of champions league... :unsure probably line ups

FC Arsenal
Almunia - Sagna, Touré, Silvestre, Gibbs - Song, Diaby - Walcott, Fabregas, Nasri - Adebayor Coach: Wenger
Manchester United
van der Sar - O'Shea, R. Ferdinand, Vidic, EvraFletcher, Carrick, Anderson - Cristiano Ronaldo, Berbatov, Rooney Coach: Ferguson

Re: UEFA Champions League » May 05/06 Arsenal V Manchester United - OVER 2.5 Goals This could be a goal thriller. Arsenal chasing the game with the bonus of Van Persie back. Manchester have the incentive to get an away goal & essentially add nails to the coffin. If Arsenal score early & Manchester reply, we could expect more. Manchester have a poor record away at this ground, only one victory in ten visits here!

Re: UEFA Champions League » May 05/06 I wouldn't like to pick a winner at full time between Arsenal and Manchester United. Both sides are at near full strength. The only important absentees for Arsenal I can see, that have the ability to change the outcome of a game, are Arshavin and Gallas. Otherwise, they welcome back Van Persie and Adebayor after Saturdays 3-0 away win over Pompey. Not a bad way to prepare for a crunch CL game? Manchester United should have everyone fit and raring to go. Ferdinand will return to partner Vidic in defence, whilst Rooney is likely to partner Ronaldo up front; after the latter was rested for the 2-0 win away to Boro early on Saturday. I think for this game we can ignore all previous CL records that both teams currently hold this season, or past, and treat this contest as a normal EPL encounter. If we look back at the previous encounter this season between the two teams at the Emirates, we see that Arsenal won that game 2-1. I think that is an interesting result considering Arsenal were under strength that day. No Adebeyor, Toure or Van Persie. Arshavin was merely a blip on Wengers radar at that time. It can be argued that there is much more at stake this time around. I like the calls for under 2.5, because Manchester United hold the ace by being 1 goal ahead in the tie. However, I don't believe that United will play for a draw or be content with just the 1 goal. They are in a very precarious position. They posess the players capable of scoring, don't need to, but are in no way in the same position as Chelsea were in the previous round. For that reason I couldn't bet on under 2.5 because the odds of 1.66 don't represent value based on the possibilities. If Arsenal score first, United will need to score. If Manchester score first, Arsenal will need to attack....unless we are expecting this contest to finish 0-0. Initially I was looking at the game to be a draw at half time. You can get just over evens on the draw. I think because the scoreline reads 1-0 to United over the 2 legs, the game will be pretty much played at the same tempo as a normal EPL game, where no one really wants to lose the game. For those reasons I now see the following as a fairly decent bet.....Most goals second half @ 2.10. All but 1 of the 4 games played at the Emirates since it was opened at the beginning of 2006/07 have resulted in more goals being scored in the 2nd half, and I see no reason as to why that should change now because as things get desperate both sides will likely be trying to get one over the other. I also like the look of Arsenal (AH) DNB at Half Time @ 2.00. Manchester Uniteds recent history away to Arsenal doesn't make that great reading. They have had some decent results, but in the main, Manchester United have only won 3 times away at Arsenal in 18 attempts and at the Emirates there are no wins, 2 draws and 2 losses. After reading that information, I must favour Arsenal slightly to at least get something from this game. Even if it is a score draw. With this bet I am covering the draw at half time because my money will be returned if both sides are tied at HT.

Last home Arsenal's defeat in Champions League was 28 games ago' date= it was 6 april 2004!!! My bet is Arsenal 1x 1.60!!!!!!!!!
CL history is irellevant because both sides are EPL sides. This will be more like a derby match. Recent history between the two sides is strong and emotions run high in both camps at the mere prospect of playing eachother.

Re: UEFA Champions League » May 05/06 Arsenal v Man Utd - Champions League Semi Final 2nd leg The Stats Favour United Man United go into Tuesday’s Champions League semi final second leg with a slender 1-0 advantage from the first leg. However they do so knowing that history is on United’s side when analysing previous 1-0 first leg wins in the competition. Since the Champions League started back in 1992, there have been 14 occasions in knock-out ties where the first leg home team has won 1-0. 10 times the team has gone on to progress into the next round. However three of the ties have gone to penalty shoot outs with the first leg home team progressing on two occasions. There have been three semi finals that have finished 1-0 to the home team after the first leg, and twice this team has gone on to qualify, with the exception being Chelsea losing on penalties to Liverpool in 2007. Man United have never won a knockout tie 1-0 at home in the first leg in the Champions League and so this is unchartered territory for them. Arsenal have lost a knockout tie 1-0 away first leg just once before – against PSV in 2007 in the last 16 and they ended up going out, drawing at home in the second leg.

Year Round Home Away 2nd leg result Outcome

QF Real Madrid Juventus Lost 2-0 OUT

SF Borussia Dortmund Man United Won 1-0 THROUGH

QF Liverpool Bayer Leverkusen Lost 4-2 OUT

QF Inter Valencia Lost 2-1 THROUGH

Last 16 Deportivo Juventus Won 1-0 THROUGH

Last 16 Real Madrid Juventus Lost 2-0 OUT

Last 16 PSV Monaco Won 2-0 THROUGH

Last 16 Benfica Liverpool Won 2-0 THROUGH

SF Arsenal Villareal Drew 0-0 THROUGH

Last 16 PSV Arsenal Drew 1-1 THROUGH

SF Chelsea Liverpool Lost 1-0 OUT (on pens)

Last 16 Schalke Porto Lost 1-0 THROUGH (on pens)

Last 16 Arsenal Roma Lost 1-0 THROUGH (on pens)

Last 16 Chelsea Juventus Drew 2-2 THROUGH
However Arsenal have yet to concede a goal at home in five Champions League ties so far this season and have yet to lose at the Emirates in 14 Champions League matches. Their last home defeat in the Champions League was to Chelsea in 2004. Tonights's Referee - Roberto Rossetti He Ref'd the Semi Final 2nd leg of last season v Chelsea & Liverpool which went to extra time. In the 90 mins he only gave 1 yellow card out to Xabi Alonso after 41 mins and then the 2nd yellow in the 99 mins in extra time to Alvaro Arbeola. UEFA have considered all the implications here of players being on yellow cards and the possibility of some missing the final what has happened previously and hence why they have appointed Rossetti. It all boils down to a very lenient Referee and we can profit from this angle! Predictions: Card Index Yellow Card=10 Points Red Card=25 points. Up To And Including 40 points @2.00 Paddypower ***** Draw @3.25 Paddypower *** No Booking @26.00 William Hill * :ok

I wouldn't like to pick a winner at full time between Arsenal and Manchester United. Both sides are at near full strength. The only important absentees for Arsenal I can see, that have the ability to change the outcome of a game, are Arshavin and Gallas. Otherwise, they welcome back Van Persie and Adebayor after Saturdays 3-0 away win over Pompey. Not a bad way to prepare for a crunch CL game? Manchester United should have everyone fit and raring to go. Ferdinand will return to partner Vidic in defence, whilst Rooney is likely to partner Ronaldo up front; after the latter was rested for the 2-0 win away to Boro early on Saturday. I think for this game we can ignore all previous CL records that both teams currently hold this season, or past, and treat this contest as a normal EPL encounter. If we look back at the previous encounter this season between the two teams at the Emirates, we see that Arsenal won that game 2-1. I think that is an interesting result considering Arsenal were under strength that day. No Adebeyor, Toure or Van Persie. Arshavin was merely a blip on Wengers radar at that time. It can be argued that there is much more at stake this time around. I like the calls for under 2.5, because Manchester United hold the ace by being 1 goal ahead in the tie. However, I don't believe that United will play for a draw or be content with just the 1 goal. They are in a very precarious position. They posess the players capable of scoring, don't need to, but are in no way in the same position as Chelsea were in the previous round. For that reason I couldn't bet on under 2.5 because the odds of 1.66 don't represent value based on the possibilities. If Arsenal score first, United will need to score. If Manchester score first, Arsenal will need to attack....unless we are expecting this contest to finish 0-0. Initially I was looking at the game to be a draw at half time. You can get just over evens on the draw. I think because the scoreline reads 1-0 to United over the 2 legs, the game will be pretty much played at the same tempo as a normal EPL game, where no one really wants to lose the game. For those reasons I now see the following as a fairly decent bet.....Most goals second half @ 2.10. All but 1 of the 4 games played at the Emirates since it was opened at the beginning of 2006/07 have resulted in more goals being scored in the 2nd half, and I see no reason as to why that should change now because as things get desperate both sides will likely be trying to get one over the other.
This sums up my feelings on it. I think Man U will try to keep things tight and look for chances from set plays or on the break. As the match wears on Arsenal will need to push forward more and more which will result in them either scoring or leaving space at the back for Man U to exploit. Alternatively if Arsenal score, Man U may need to push forward so I think more goals in the second half is a very decent shout.

Re: UEFA Champions League » May 05/06 I have decided to go for both teams to score at 5/6 with Bet365 for the Arsenal v Man Utd game. It is not often that teams can shut out United for 90 mins and i believe that they have more than enough talent to get at least one goal with Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo likely to start from the off. Arsenal will need to chase the game to try and overturn the first leg deficit and will look to continue there good recent form. With the return of Fabregas recently, as well as the form of other key players they should be able to create enough chances to score too. If Arsenal do take the lead i don't they will sit on their lead to get the game to extra time, all they do is look to play football which could lead to a very open game. I think the final result may be 1-1, or 2-1 for either team which is the reason of my choice for both teams to score rather than over 2.5 goals. Selection - Both teams to score at 5/6 Bet365