** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

UEFA Champions League ( 28-29 April )

Re: UEFA Champions League ( 28-29 April )

Well Bhoyo' date=' we'll see wont we. One things for sure though, I wont be betting a lot on it! Barca are the favourites, so I guess the pressure is on them. They are well equipped to brush Chelsea aside & Chelsea have made quite a few defensive errors of late. No Cashley Cole either. Can't wait for kick off.[/quote'] :ok Fair play JF. We share one view both cant wait for Kick Off, lets hope its an exciting game :hope

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barcelona have been pLaying wonderfull football this year but today is where we wll know their real force because excuse me spain spanish league is nothing compare to epl and even their victory against bayern munich cant be taken as a reference.The liverpool that play chelsea in cl was a very strong side may be better than barcelona but even that chelsea manage to win and qualify. I think today chelsea is capable of bringing a victory from Nou Camp or at least a draw
fancy your thoughts, mate. nothing to add, I don't want to play this match, but if I had to, for me Chelsea +0,75 @ around 2 would be best bet :ok

Surely you have this line in a round too early. Gibbs won't have to mark Messi until the final. Just pointing out the obvious error in your post. As regards the ties, they could be bookies satchel fillers, as I think they are both very close. With a gun to my head I think Man Utd have the best chance of reaching the final, but they could do that without winning at home like they did against Porto. So for these two games I'll be betting on corners and bookings, so back to the study for now and I'll return later.
he meant ronaldo! not messi!

The gulf between English football and Spanish football is growing
Yeah,...the likes of Everton, Man City, Tottenham, Aston Villa and Portsmouth have really "impressed" with a number of "remarkable" results in the Euro Cups this season, having shown a "big difference in class" between the oppositions in EPL and the others.

Barca vs Chelsea I disagree that Cole will not be missed...anyone who has the measure of Ronaldo will be missed;) Think both teams to score could be an interesting bet.... we all know about Barca going forward but can they defend? We shall get a closer look Tuesday evening Good luck to Chelsea:ok
I quite fancy this bet aswell, its 8/11 on bet365- what other bookies offer this market? Barca haven't failed to score in any game this season and I saw an interview with Frank Lampard last night saying away goals were very important and they had that drummed into them by Hiddink at Anfield.

Barca have only conceded 10 goals at home in La Liga all season mate. For me that aint a bad record. They have actually conceded the least amount of goals at home in La Liga all season and the second least amount away from home (16) only behind Madrid at 15. Puyol and co certainly do know how to defend
Interesting stats. I was going by their reputation more than anything, however, in the CL they have conceded 12 goals in total, which is more than any other last 16 side...except Lyon and Sporting. At home they have conceded 7 goals so far in the CL, which is more than any other side left in the CL. All of this suggests that they might experience a degree of trouble when presented with a better class of opponent.

Re: UEFA Champions League ( 28-29 April ) A few very small stack bets. Not much to say about them, I think a lot of facts mentioned here and I just got the feeling we could see many surprises during the match. Therefore my bets are: Barcelona to win after Chelsea leading 1/10 @7.5 HT/FT Chelsea/Barca 0.5/10 @26 Barca -0,5 (AH) 3/10 @1.7 Good luck everoyone :ok

Interesting stats. I was going by their reputation more than anything, however, in the CL they have conceded 12 goals in total, which is more than any other last 16 side...except Lyon and Sporting. At home they have conceded 7 goals so far in the CL, which is more than any other side left in the CL. All of this suggests that they might experience a degree of trouble when presented with a better class of opponent.
Good searching Jase :ok Interesting how the two sets of statistics clash, maybe your right, perhaps they will struggle against better opposition, amazed that they conceded 7 goals at home in the CL when they have only conceded 10 at home all season in La Liga.....interesting stuff :ok

Re: UEFA Champions League ( 28-29 April ) One thing about Barcas defence. If it is so damn good, why an earth they do not keep a clean sheet in their home games in Champions League 2008-2009? Quality team like Basel scored, Sporting scored, Lyon two times and Shaktar three! Only suffering Bayern could not. This is why I think Chelsea can score also. If the correct score is 3-2 or 5-2 can not say. But I trust Chelsea's offence can do the same or better than Basel or Lyon. Can't wait to see the game.:rollin

Re: UEFA Champions League ( 28-29 April ) Barcelona v Chelsea - Chelsea @ 6.0 betfair I know betting is all about opinions but I cant understand anyone who is backing Barcelona at the current prices. To anyone who is backing Barcelona at 1.73, what price do you think they should be then? I'd have them closer to evens. Chelsea look way overpriced to me, a different side to the one under Scolari earlier in the season they are in top form. Drogba is massive for them and the introduction of Hiddink has been key. Barcelona, probably the best side in the world going forward, are less impressive at the back, which Chelsea are more than capable of taking advantage of. If any side in Europe is going to shut Barcelona out Chelsea would be a good bet to do so, having conceded only 9 goals in 17 games away from home. 5/1 is ENORMOUS

One thing about Barcas defence. If it is so damn good, why an earth they do not keep a clean sheet in their home games in Champions League 2008-2009? Quality team like Basel scored, Sporting scored, Lyon two times and Shaktar three! Only suffering Bayern could not. This is why I think Chelsea can score also. If the correct score is 3-2 or 5-2 can not say. But I trust Chelsea's offence can do the same or better than Basel or Lyon. Can't wait to see the game.:rollin
I didnt say they were 'so damn good' I simply said they knew how to defend, considering I think they are the best team in Europe I believe they can keep Chelsea out. Of course Chelsea have the ability to score, but I was simply saying I think Barca are better than everyone thinks at the back.

Barcelona v Chelsea - Chelsea @ 6.0 betfair I know betting is all about opinions but I cant understand anyone who is backing Barcelona at the current prices. To anyone who is backing Barcelona at 1.73, what price do you think they should be then? I'd have them closer to evens. Chelsea look way overpriced to me, a different side to the one under Scolari earlier in the season they are in top form. Drogba is massive for them and the introduction of Hiddink has been key. Barcelona, probably the best side in the world going forward, are less impressive at the back, which Chelsea are more than capable of taking advantage of. If any side in Europe is going to shut Barcelona out Chelsea would be a good bet to do so, having conceded only 9 goals in 17 games away from home. 5/1 is ENORMOUS
Agree 5/1 is big for Chelsea, but I personally do not see the point in putting my money on a team if I dont believe they will win, no matter how generous the odds. I pick Barca at 1.73 because I believe they have more than whats needed to win this match, I agree they should perhaps be higher for some people, closer to 1.8 - 1.9 perhaps, but I think Barca will have to much for Chelsea tonight and will therefore record the victory.

Re: UEFA Champions League ( 28-29 April ) i watched chelsea play against everton and westham and they were very poor. they lacked a lot of creativitiy and looked a team deflated arsenal is gonna have tough task to get anything against man utd on form but even without key players they seem to play even better. key for wenger is not to lose this one is easy for me barcelona win man utd - arsenal draw

Re: UEFA Champions League ( 28-29 April ) be careful on your thinking about how poor barcas defence is every game has to be based on its merits barca when they conceded had either qualified for the next round or had been miles in front in a match barca fielded weak squads against shaktar when they conceded 3 they were 4 goals up against lyon who then scored 2 they were 2 up when sporting nicked 2 then barca turned on the style and scored 3 more and you could add that barca were not exactly over exerting themselves when they played away to lyon and bayern where as chelsea have conceded 7 goals in the knockout stages against barcas 4 and barca had 3 of these games in the bag by the time they had let a goal in

Wed. 13 Final Barcelona4 - 0Wisla Krakow56,000UEFA Champions League
Tue. 26 Final Wisla Krakow1 - 0Barcelona14,500UEFA Champions League
Sep. '08STATUSHomeSCOREAwayATT.Competition
Tue. 16 Final Barcelona3 - 1Sporting Lisbon58,354UEFA Champions League
Oct. '08STATUSHomeSCOREAwayATT.Competition
Wed. 1 Final Shakhtar Donetsk1 - 2Barcelona26,000UEFA Champions League
Wed. 22 Final FC Basel0 - 5Barcelona37,500UEFA Champions League
Nov. '08STATUSHomeSCOREAwayATT.Competition
Tue. 4 Final Barcelona1 - 1FC Basel47,000UEFA Champions League
Wed. 26 Final Sporting Lisbon2 - 5Barcelona62,000UEFA Champions League
Dec. '08STATUSHomeSCOREAwayATT.Competition
Tue. 9 Final Barcelona2 - 3Shakhtar Donetsk19,000UEFA Champions League
Feb. '09STATUSHomeSCOREAwayATT.Competition
Tue. 24 Final Lyon1 - 1Barcelona40,000UEFA Champions League
Mar. '09STATUSHomeSCOREAwayATT.Competition
Wed. 11 Final Barcelona5 - 2Lyon93,062UEFA Champions League
Apr. '09STATUSHomeSCOREAwayATT.Competition
Wed. 8 Final Barcelona4 - 0Bayern Munich97,000UEFA Champions League
Tue. 14 Final Bayern Munich1 - 1Barcelona65,000UEFA Champions League
Apr. '09TIMEHomeAwayVENUECompetition
Tue. 28 19:45 UK Barcelona v ChelseaCamp NouUEFA Champions League
May. '09TIMEHomeAwayVENUECompetition
Wed. 6 19:45 UK Chelsea v BarcelonaStamford BridgeUEFA Champions League

be careful on your thinking about how poor barcas defence is every game has to be based on its merits barca when they conceded had either qualified for the next round or had been miles in front in a match barca fielded weak squads against shaktar when they conceded 3 they were 4 goals up against lyon who then scored 2 they were 2 up when sporting nicked 2 then barca turned on the style and scored 3 more and you could add that barca were not exactly over exerting themselves when they played away to lyon and bayern where as chelsea have conceded 7 goals in the knockout stages against barcas 4 and barca had 3 of these games in the bag by the time they had let a goal in
Wed. 13 Final Barcelona4 - 0Wisla Krakow56,000UEFA Champions League
Tue. 26 Final Wisla Krakow1 - 0Barcelona14,500UEFA Champions League
Sep. '08STATUSHomeSCOREAwayATT.Competition
Tue. 16 Final Barcelona3 - 1Sporting Lisbon58,354UEFA Champions League
Oct. '08STATUSHomeSCOREAwayATT.Competition
Wed. 1 Final Shakhtar Donetsk1 - 2Barcelona26,000UEFA Champions League
Wed. 22 Final FC Basel0 - 5Barcelona37,500UEFA Champions League
Nov. '08STATUSHomeSCOREAwayATT.Competition
Tue. 4 Final Barcelona1 - 1FC Basel47,000UEFA Champions League
Wed. 26 Final Sporting Lisbon2 - 5Barcelona62,000UEFA Champions League
Dec. '08STATUSHomeSCOREAwayATT.Competition
Tue. 9 Final Barcelona2 - 3Shakhtar Donetsk19,000UEFA Champions League
Feb. '09STATUSHomeSCOREAwayATT.Competition
Tue. 24 Final Lyon1 - 1Barcelona40,000UEFA Champions League
Mar. '09STATUSHomeSCOREAwayATT.Competition
Wed. 11 Final Barcelona5 - 2Lyon93,062UEFA Champions League
Apr. '09STATUSHomeSCOREAwayATT.Competition
Wed. 8 Final Barcelona4 - 0Bayern Munich97,000UEFA Champions League
Tue. 14 Final Bayern Munich1 - 1Barcelona65,000UEFA Champions League
Apr. '09TIMEHomeAwayVENUECompetition
Tue. 28 19:45 UK Barcelonav ChelseaCamp NouUEFA Champions League
May. '09TIMEHomeAwayVENUECompetition
Tend to agree with alot of your views on this match DD :ok

be careful on your thinking about how poor barcas defence is every game has to be based on its merits barca when they conceded had either qualified for the next round or had been miles in front in a match barca fielded weak squads against shaktar when they conceded 3 they were 4 goals up against lyon who then scored 2 they were 2 up when sporting nicked 2 then barca turned on the style and scored 3 more and you could add that barca were not exactly over exerting themselves when they played away to lyon and bayern where as chelsea have conceded 7 goals in the knockout stages against barcas 4 and barca had 3 of these games in the bag by the time they had let a goal in
Yes, I was going to mention this also. Different circumstances appear to have allowed Barcelona to concede more goals than they would normally. Probably a mentality issue. Their mentality seems to be based on scoring more than the opposition, however in this case they will face a side that will give them a game and know they also really need an away goal.

Re: UEFA Champions League ( 28-29 April ) As I said, I am waiting on Barcelona but I agree they are far too short. Hiddink will set out to frustrate Barcelona and if Barca do not score pretty early, I believe Chelsea may well nick it (no doubt a shot with 5 or 6 deflections on the way LOL). I just hope the real Barca turn up as Im looking forward to cheering them on. Messi, Eto'o and Henry are a frightening front line and if they score early, they are easily capable of winning 3 or 4-0.

Re: UEFA Champions League ( 28-29 April ) Barcelona - Chelsea over 2.5 (1.80 @ centrebet) Barcelona - Chelsea over 3.5 (3.00 @ centrebet) Barcelona - Chelsea over 4.5 (5.00 @ centrebet) Barcelona's attack continues to dominate teams with their slick passing as well as their individual brilliance they can display. As such they have recorded scored of 4-0, 5-2 and 2-3 in their last 3 home games in the Champions League while Chelsea too have been in goalscoring form, as well as conceding, as they have seen results of 1-2 and 2-2 in their last 2 away games in the CL. Chelsea's defence without Cole and Carvalho has meant Terry has been quite isolated and it lacks the organisation and stability it used to have while Cech is not as good as he used to be. As for Barcelona they too have been found wanting at the back and the speed of Chelsea with Drogba down the middle and the Kalou and Malouda on the flanks can cause them problems while Lampard making those late runs into the box will be hard for Barca to stop. Barcelona are always capable of scoring but Chelsea have shown that they can go to this toughest places and score goals, like Anfield, so going to Nou Camp will be another place where they can etch their name in history. Goals are liekly here Man Utd - Arsenal over 2.5 (2.15 @ centrebet) Man Utd - Arsenal over 3.5 (3.85 @ centrebet) Man Utd - Arsenal over 4.5 (7.00 @ centrebet) Man Utd, despite their number of games they have played, continue to show their resilience and commitment, even with a deficit of 2-0 down against Spurs, they came back to win 5-2. Arsenal too have shown that they have been in very good goalscoring form of late and going to Old Trafford should hold no fear as they have a decent record against Man Utd in recent years. Both defences have shown weaknesses while they each several talented players that can turn the game, with the likes of Fabregas and Ronaldo showing that not only can they can create but score also. Both managers will be looking to gain the edge over the other so don't expect them to be conservative here as they know goals are needed, so look to an open affair, as Arsenal are missing players in defence and as such Man Utd should score while Wenger can't allow his rivals to have a huge edge going into the second leg as his team has the ability to score at least one goal as their slick passing has been able to unlock even the tightest of defences. The last 4 EPL games have seen at least 3 goals scored while their is a possibility that more than 3 can be scored here as the stakes are much higher now. 3 units on a double for both games to go over 2.5 3 units on a double for both games to go over 3.5 4 units on a double for both games to go over 4.5 If both games go over 2.5 , then i break just about even, but stand to make some good profits if the goals come in, especially if there is 5 goals in each game. :ok

Re: UEFA Champions League ( 28-29 April ) Very Hard match too call! Im going to go for nice and easy, Barca to score in both halves at 7/4 (William Hill) simply because they have the best striking force in the world :D whatever happens its going to be an Epic match !

Re: UEFA Champions League ( 28-29 April ) when your four goals up in a game it doesnt really matter how many you let in the only goals that barca have let in in this competition when they are playing seriously is to lyon and shaktar away and in the latter game messi comes on as sub and scores 2 in the last 3 minutes this barca team are absolutely head and shoulders above any other team on the planet if people want to think chelsea are even close to barca then you are going to lose your money tonight i promise you no offence even on the asian, everyone has an opinion like ak says but the bookies should be posting prices of around 1-3,4-6 is a gimme (if youve got ten grand) bayern were throwing everything at barca when they went a goal up and barca just soaked it all up then went and nicked one on one of the hardest grounds in europe to get a result chelsea dont even have a good away record in europe barca know they can score 4 or 5 tonight i know it seems like a lot but this team are going to be up for this and i really think they will keep pushing for the whole 90 mins you dont spend two seasons trying to get to the final just to take it easy in the first leg of the penultimate match no way barca are certainties tonight imo they have not really been tested all season, tonight will be no different. and traditions dont come into the first leg whatever happens in the second leg happens

Barca are too short for me. I have serious doubts to the real strength of the spanish league compared to the EPL. Chelsea +0.5 on the aisan at 2.12 is where my money is.
Barcelona v Chelsea - Chelsea @ 6.0 betfair 5/1 is ENORMOUS
As I said' date=' I am waiting on Barcelona but[b'] I agree they are far too short. Hiddink will set out to frustrate Barcelona and if Barca do not score pretty early, I believe Chelsea may well nick it
again people, like before "banker" Liverpool match last week, take a look to these opinions from three sharp bettors from PL. Why am I not surprised? :dude

Re: UEFA Champions League ( 28-29 April ) Some interesting stats: Chelsea have only failed to score or concede in 1 outing:

Wed Oct 1 08 Champions LeagueCFR Cluj0:0 Chelsea
They scored 7 goals on the road (3 of which were against Liverpool), less than Porto (8), Bayern (10), Lyon (10), Liverpool (11), Barca (14) and Arsenal (14).. Barca have never failed to score at home, 15 goals, they're the competition top scoring team together with Bayern, after them theres Roma(12), Chelsea(12), Liverpool(10), Villarreal(9), Arsenal(9) and Man Utd(9). Chelsea scored 4 goals vs Liverpool. Barca have kept 1 clean sheet vs Bayern München in the 4:0. They conceded 7 goals less only than Basel(8), Roma(10) and Sporting(10). Chances are we'll see some goals..

Re: UEFA Champions League ( 28-29 April ) Barcelona v Chelsea I think Hiddink has played mind games suggesting Bosingwa can stop Messi. Messi is no doubt Barcelona's main threat to Chelsea and just like what Chelsea did to Liverpool in man marking Gerrard with Essien, I think Hiddink will do the same with Messi and have Essien mark him! Interesting stat time!!! In 3 encounters between English & Spanish teams in Champions League Semi Finals the 1st legs have only yielded 1 goal in the 3 encounters!!! English Teams v Spanish Opposition in the Champions League Semi Finals since Tournament inception: 2000/2001 Leeds played Valencia drawing the 1st leg 0 v 0 at Elland Road and losing the 2nd leg in Spain 3 v 0. 2005/2006 Arsenal played Villareal winning the 1st leg at The Emirates 1 v 0 and drawing the 2nd leg in Spain 0 v 0. 2007/2008 Man Utd played Barcelona drawing the 1st leg in Spain 0 v 0 and winning the 2nd leg at OT 1 V 0. Predictions: Draw @3.50 Paddypower No Goalscorer @11.00 Paddypower (Note this gives us 0 v 0 scoreline and also if the 1st goal scored is an own goal - 2 bets for the price of 1!) Under 2 Goals @3.75 William Hill :ok

Re: UEFA Champions League ( 28-29 April ) This match is a classic example of value seeking punters going up against backers of so called good things. Punters who back teams they are convinced will win, even at short prices will win their fair share of battles but the value betters will always win the war. The majority of people who place winning bets are in reality placing bad bets and this is why the bookmakers make a handsome living. The secret to making a profit is not putting money on what you think will happen rather putting money on something with is available at odds which are greater than the probability of that event happening. Don't mean to sound like I'm trying to lecture anybody, but the phrase "value is king" really is the golden rule of betting and anybody who does not follow it for each and every bet will inevitably lose money in the long run.

Re: UEFA Champions League ( 28-29 April ) Great post Jimmy. Your right though but I would rather not place a bet myself on a team I think which wont win, but has value on the odds. Then I would rather prefer waiting for value on teams I think gonna win, wouldnt that even increase your profit long-term? :unsure

Re: UEFA Champions League ( 28-29 April ) Yes,i know Barca is too short at home but i just don't trust Chelsea especially after i saw their last 2 games. Barca have great home record and are in good form. Going with Barca single today and very small bets on correct score 2-1,3-1