** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Bowles' "live" Monthly betting book

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Bowles' "live" Monthly betting book 6.55 RIPON - SUNRISE SAFARI Backed this one last time out at Newcastle in a Class2 race behind Tamagin with Thebes 3rd. I cannot believe now that it is dropped to class 4 & available at 4/1. it is drawn low but there doesnt seem an advantage at the track. Its a sharp track though. Runs better with the visor which is on again today & apprentice takes 5lb off its back. BET 35 6.55 Ripon - SUNRISE SAFARI 5pts win @ 4/1 Stan James

Re: Bowles' "live" Monthly betting book 1.45 CHESTER CELTIC SULTAN (Class 2, 1m, G/Frim) In the 1.45 race, there is a horse running off 10lb lower than when winning the race last season. Thats a mighty drop & something to take note of. CELTIC SULTAN. The horse hasnt shown up any form since last years win but is only 5yo with 21 previous runs (3 wins, 4 places). Its drawn in stall 1 so should be able to dominate. Last year was in stall 6 yet still managed to get a lead. The bookies have only priced it as 3rd fav at 7/1 best price at the moment. Final decision was to back it for a place only today. BET 36 1.45 CELTIC SULTAN 5pts PLACE @ 2.28 Betfair

Re: Bowles' "live" Monthly betting book Didnt see the Sunrise Safari race but it was 4th & obviously didnt run to form in this class 4 race. Celtic Sultan lead most of the way before being swallowed up & ended up 8th. -10pts on the day :( Saturday A typically difficult punting day ahead: 4.50 HAYDOCK REDFORD (6f, Class 2, Good) Won at Doncaster & Newcastle last season after a frustrating 2yo campaign (won on 3rd start). Ran well in 2 big field handicaps at Ascot last season & definitely has a future in decent races. 4th in a group 3 at Salisbury on final outing. Has been gelded which may now help as well, interesting to see it in this race over 6f instead of Victoria Cup at Ascot however connections are possibly looking at a decent campaign this season & moving the horse into listed class. Hasnt run over 6f before but should be able to handle this. BET 37 4.50 HAYDOCK REDFORD 4pts win 11/4 Paddy Power (GP)

Re: Bowles' "live" Monthly betting book off to Ascot today to support the PL horse Dhular Dhar, think it will need the race but will be interesting to see how it goes. From a betting point of view, these will be my bets on the day: Duncan should win the 1st race, prob a no bet for me as around 5/4 looks a bit too short to play. 1.40 race - Feeling Fab for Mark Johnston. At 15/2 looks better value than the favourite & i will cover ew anyway. Only 3lb higher than last winning mark & ran ok on reappearance behind Racketeer at Sandown LTO. 2pts ew @ 15/2 Skybet 2.15 Have looked at the pace & the trends in this race (details in the other threads). The 4 i like are Arabian Spirit 25/1 Sporting bet 1pt ew MAze 14/1 Bet365 1pt ew Quest for success 25/1 Sporting bet 1pt ew Signor Peltro 25/1 Bet365 1pt ew 2.50 No bet 3.25 Not sure, BUt swingkeel is the one i am looking at!! 4.00 Striking spirit for Nicholls / Atjebi partnership (4 from 7 this season) 8/1 Tote 3pts win 15pts staked overall

Re: Bowles' "live" Monthly betting book

off to Ascot today to support the PL horse Dhular Dhar, think it will need the race but will be interesting to see how it goes. From a betting point of view, these will be my bets on the day: Duncan should win the 1st race, prob a no bet for me as around 5/4 looks a bit too short to play. 1.40 race - Feeling Fab for Mark Johnston. At 15/2 looks better value than the favourite & i will cover ew anyway. Only 3lb higher than last winning mark & ran ok on reappearance behind Racketeer at Sandown LTO. 2pts ew @ 15/2 Skybet 4TH 2.15 Have looked at the pace & the trends in this race (details in the other threads). The 4 i like are Arabian Spirit 25/1 Sporting bet 1pt ew MAze 14/1 Bet365 1pt ew Quest for success 25/1 Sporting bet 1pt ew Signor Peltro 25/1 Bet365 1pt ew 4TH 28/1 :ok 2.50 No bet 3.25 Not sure, BUt swingkeel is the one i am looking at!! 4.00 Striking spirit for Nicholls / Atjebi partnership (4 from 7 this season) 8/1 Tote 3pts win 1st 7/1 :clap 15pts staked overall
Redford didnt perform at Haydock where Royal Rocks seemed to be the only horse in the race as it breezed to the front & stayed there. At Ascot, i had a reasonable day with a 28/1 place & an 8/1 winner I thought Duncan was impressive in the 1st & that winner in the last was a great ride by Atjebi who took the race on early & was never headed. When he rides for Nicholls you have to take notice (5 from 8 now!) 19pts staked 35pts returned Will update my notebook etc over the next few days also.

Re: Bowles' "live" Monthly betting book May Total Total bets 27 Wins / bets 3/15 EW/ Bets 2/12 Total bets 5/27 SR 18.51% Staked 104pts Returns 75.15pts P/L -28.85pts Yield -27.74% Overall total Total bets 43 Wins / bets 6/24 EW/ Bets 6/19 Total bets 12/43 SR 27.90% Staked 159pts Returns 156.74pts P/L -2.26pts Yield -1.42%

Re: Bowles' "live" Monthly betting book 6.50 ABBONDANZA (1m, Class1, G/Firm) The style of running will suit Windsor as this one will be handy throughout & can dictate how the race will be run. Stepped up in class after a 14lb rise on the AW after a hat trick of wins. In the form of its life at present & has Ordnance row to beat. Ordnance row seems to like it here & won this race last year. Will be looking at the price for my selection & then decide how to play. At the price on Sunday night, that is the best value in the race by far! BET 44 - 6.50 Windsor ABBODANZA 5pts win @ 10.0 Betfair

Re: Bowles' "live" Monthly betting book Abbondanza ran 4th on Monday night, of course the danger Ordnance row ended up winning! Looking at York today, came up with 4 bets 1.40 YORK - MOONQUAKE (1m2f Cl2 GF) Interesting this one as Trainer has won this race on last 2 occasions, with Dettori on board. Those connections have Moonquake who comes from a season in Dubai. Bare turf form looks enough to figure in the money here with a 3rd place at Royal Ascot last season when trained by John Gosden, 3rd behind Colony in the King George V stakes. Just looks a big price at 14's! BET 45 - 1.40 MOONQUAKE 1pt ew @ 14/1 Bluesq 2.40 YORK - SARISKA (1m2f, Grp3 GF) This was the one i took out of the trial race at newbury which Lahaleeb won & Super Sleuth was 2nd. Those 2 went for the Guineas with SS coming a decent 3rd place. Sariska fell out the stalls that day & finished best of all to come 4th. This trip will suit much better & with stamina guaranteed (half sister to 1m6f winner) should go really well. Notebook horse BET 46 - 2.40 SARISKA 4pts win 10/3 Skybet 3.10 YORK - STRIKE THE DEAL (6f, Grp2, GF) Strike the deal ran well to finish 4th on 1st start of the season behind Amour propre over 5f at the Guineas meeting. Had to carry a penalty last season for its 2yo Group 2 win which restricted it a bit albeit had some decent showings. Has the visor on again today & Moore keeps the ride. Notebook horse BET 47 - 3.10 STRIKE THE DEAL 4pts win @ 9/1 Hills 4.55 YORK - MARCHING TIME (1m2f, Cl4, GF) Ran in the group 1 Racing Post trophy on final start last season but ended up 14th of 15 runners behind Crowded House. As long as that hasnt distracted the horse at all, should be up there in this drop in class to handicap level. You have to respect Stoute in these type of races & a reasonable price also. BET 48 - 4.55 MARCHING TIME 4pts win @ 9/2 hills

BET 45 - 1.40 MOONQUAKE 1pt ew @ 14/1 Bluesq - 1ST 8/1 :clap BET 46 - 2.40 SARISKA 4pts win 10/3 Skybet - 1ST 3/1 :clap BET 47 - 3.10 STRIKE THE DEAL 4pts win @ 9/1 Hills 4TH BET 48 - 4.55 MARCHING TIME 4pts win @ 9/2 hills 5TH
14PTS STAKED 36.82 PTS RETURNED May Total Total bets 32 Wins / bets 4/19 EW/ Bets 3/13 Total bets 7/32 SR 21.87% Staked 123pts Returns 111.97pts P/L -11.03pts Yield -8.96% Overall total Total bets 48 Wins / bets 7/28 EW/ Bets 7/20 Total bets 14/48 SR 29.16% Staked 177pts Returns 193.56pts P/L +16.56pts Yield +9.35%

Re: Bowles' "live" Monthly betting book Also, wanted to make a comment on the last race namely my selection Marching Time which Ryan Moore rode. Personally i felt Ryan should have moved away from its position tucked in behind before it got squashed by the horse on the outside who seemed to be waving his whip around in front of Marching time's head & the horse clearly wouldnt go past. It managed to finish a close up 5th but would be possibly suited by another course & it stays on my list as a potential handicap winner.

Re: Bowles' "live" Monthly betting book Thursday 1.40 YORK HAMISH McGONAGALL (5f, Cl2, GF) Keep looking at this race & C/D winner Hamish McGonagall who won at this meeting last year beating the impressive Lessons in Humility. It was in receipt of 3lb that day & Lessons in Humility won off 105 at the weekend in a class 1 handicap. Not sure the draw is going to play a part in this, but HM is drawn 7 & the 6f race today was won by a low stall, however to me the spread across the result wasnt that significant for me. BET 49 - 1.40 HAMISH McGONAGALL 1pt ew @ 9/1 Bet365 (BOG) 2.40 YORK - FREEMANTLE (1m2f, Grp 2, GF) If Crowded House lives up to expectations, it has to win this Derby Trial. Opponents include Kite Wood & Nehaam both of which will be thereabouts at the business end. However, the race is likely to come to who is best on seasonal debut between Crowded House & Freemantle from O'briens yard. Freemantle could be good enough to emulate its sire galileo a& win the Derby this year. The horse finished in front of Guineas winner Sea the stars last seaosn on racecourse debut. At the price, has to be the value in the race. BET 50 - 2.40 FREEMANTLE 2pts ew @ 7/1 Bluesq My notebook horse runs in the 3.10 race - Medici Pearl but i would like to see that one over 7f on easier ground.

Thursday BET 49 - 1.40 HAMISH McGONAGALL 1pt ew @ 9/1 Bet365 (BOG) 4TH BET 50 - 2.40 FREEMANTLE 2pts ew @ 7/1 Bluesq 2ND:ok My notebook horse runs in the 3.10 race - Medici Pearl but i would like to see that one over 7f on easier ground.
Close today with Hamish just out of the placings by a small margin & Freemantle beaten on the line in the Dante. 6pts staked 4.8pts returned Medici Pearl again ran ok today (7th) in the 3.10 & still waiting for easier ground over 7f.

Re: Bowles' "live" Monthly betting book Apologies for the shorter write ups today but very busy doing the day job 4.00 NEWBURY ALANBROOKE (1m 3f, Class 4, Good) This horse can make a mockery of the OR rating of 78 based on what it achieved last season as a 2yo. Was 5th to Four Winds on 1st start (ran really well 1st 2 runs this season winning a decent race last night) then picking up a maiden win at Nottingham on fianl outing. Has the ability in its breeding to stay further & should go well today. BET 51 - 4.00 ALANBROOKE 4pts win @ 13/8 Bet365 (BOG) 3.45 YORK MULLGLEN (5f, Cl4, Good) Course & distance winner which seems to be a decent yardstick at this track & drawn in 6 which is a handy draw based on what has happened this week. Won here on heavy ground last year however notable soft ground lovers have all ran well this week! BET 52 - 3.45 MULLGLEN 1pt ew @ 22/1 Bet365 (BOG) 4.20 YORK - HARRISON GEORGE (6f, Cl 2, Good) Richard Fahey has had a good week & again this is a C/D winner having won here twice last summer. Has risen in the weights but its course form has to be taken & the fact the trinaer is in form. BET 53 - 4.20 HARRISON GEORGE 2pts win @ 11/4 Bet365 (BOG)

Re: Bowles' "live" Monthly betting book 2 bloody 2nds today :wall Last race of the night Newcastle 8.55 Fast horses dont get caught here Speedy Senorita can make all, did so 3 times over 5f last summer to land a hat trick off 62, 64 & 68, runs off 70 tonight. Drawn 9 Molly two made all last time out to win, 10lb higher today, drawn 4 Revue Princess won from this type of draw in this race last year, 3lb lower tonight drawn 14 The field is down to 11 now so was interested in how the draw would affect the 3 horses named above, all 3 can make all & will no doubt vy for the lead. With Revue princess winning from stall 13 last year, its re-appearance & another outside stall demands respect however the 2nd & 3rd that day were drawn 1&3, so low numbers were close up. The ground that night was also G/Firm & reading the reports, Revue Princess was close up to the leaders before taking it up 2f out. Not sure it will get its own way tonight with Speedy Senorita in the race. All its best form is on G/Firm ground & may be on the upgrade still at 4yo, i had a worry over the jockey with a 7lb claim but he had 2 winners last week & that claim may count tonight. 2 for me in the race Bet 54 - Speedy senorita 13/2 Sporting bet 1.5pts ew Bet 55 - Revue Princess 16/1 Blue sq 1pt ew

BET 51 - 4.00 ALANBROOKE 4pts win @ 13/8 Bet365 (BOG) 2ND BET 52 - 3.45 MULLGLEN 1pt ew @ 22/1 Bet365 (BOG) UNPL BET 53 - 4.20 HARRISON GEORGE 2pts win @ 11/4 Bet365 (BOG) 2ND
Bet 54 - Speedy senorita 13/2 Sporting bet 1.5pts ew 3RD 6/1 :ok Bet 55 - Revue Princess 16/1 Blue sq 1pt ew 1ST 22/1 :clap
quite a day yesterday, i was disappointed that Alanbrooke couldnt get up to win its race, Ffrench pulled the horse out wide & i think it was at least a Length better than the winner & next time out should be followed. Harrison George was never going to catch Valery Borzov when it went clear but still got 2nd. Onto the evening & a great race for me in the last with Revue Princess following up last years win in same race but what great odds, pity blue sq dont do guaranteed prices, so we get the 16's only. 13pts staked 25.93pts returned May Total Total bets 39 Wins / bets 4/21 EW/ Bets 6/18 Total bets 10/39 SR 25.64% Staked 142pts Returns 142.7pts P/L +0.7pts Yield +0.49%% Overall total Total bets 55 Wins / bets 7/30 EW/ Bets 10/25 Total bets 17/55 SR 30.90% Staked 196pts Returns 224.29pts P/L +28.29pts Yield +14.43%

Re: Bowles' "live" Monthly betting book struggling to find a bet that fits my criteria today, will go with the following but do have a couple late tonight which i will post during the afternoon 3.10 NEWBURY LEGISLATE (1m2f, Cl2, Good) Looked at this race via the trends & came up with a final 3, Aqlaam, Legislate & Sehoy. Of the 3, Legislate looks the best value at 13/2 Hills. Barry Hills continues in reasonable form with 7 winners in the last fortnight. Won on its 1st start this season at Lingfield over a mile, then tackled a handicap over 10f at Newmarket leading into the final furlong before finishing 3rd 1.25L behind Perpetually who will go to Ascot next. BET 56 3.10 Newbury LEGISLATE 4pts win @ 13/2 Hills

Re: Bowles' "live" Monthly betting book Tonight 7.40 Doncaster (6f, Cl4, G/S) Carleton well backed the other week only to be pulled out on the day of a decent handicap Gift Horse now 9yo but 2nd here in a much better race last year behind Main aim, stable still flying with its sprinters. Adrian Nicholls has only riden the horse 3 times which is surprising, it has finished 1-2-3 on those 3 runs which again is a positive I take Gift Horse over Carleton tonight @ 7/1 Hills BET 57 7.40 Doncaster GIFT HORSE 4pts win @ 7/1 Hills

Re: Bowles' "live" Monthly betting book Just found another bet for tonight at donny 8.10 Doncaster BRAVO ECHO (7f, Cl4, GS) Gosdens horse was only 9/2 2nd fav when running in the Horris Hill group 3 stakes at the back end of last season won by Evasive. Finished down the field that day & perhaps wasnt as good as they felt. However into hcap company for 1st time off a mark of 84 could be the time to catch the horse. Gosden still banging out winners & this should go close at a fairly reasonable price. BET 58 8.10 DONCASTER BRAVO ECHO 4pts win @ 6/1 Sporting bet

Re: Bowles' "live" Monthly betting book Bravo Echo didnt run well & met a wall of horses & then gave up totally! Today at Ripon 3.40 RIPON CARANBOLA (6f, Cl3, G/S) Ground has surely gone against the consistent Carcinetto who sets a decent standard here after recent runs in better company the 3yo's get a bt of weight off the others here & Mel Brittains horse Caranbola may give a good show. It was only beaten 2.5l in the valuable Tote 2yo trophy at redcar last season behind Total Gallery. It appears to be ok with easier ground & is a dual 5f/6f horse. Drawn 9 of 10 today which is ok as high draws seem to be ok at the track looking at previous results. 22/1 with sporting bet is way off the mark in my opinion & looks great valu ew BET 59 3.10 RIPON CARANBOLA 2pts ew @ 22/1 Sporting bet

Re: Bowles' "live" Monthly betting book Bad weekend with 4 bets all going down May Total Total bets 43 Wins / bets 4/24 EW/ Bets 6/19 Total bets 10/43 SR 23.25% Staked 158pts Returns 142.7pts P/L -15.3pts Yield -9.68% Overall total Total bets 59 Wins / bets 7/33 EW/ Bets 10/26 Total bets 17/59 SR 28.81% Staked 212pts Returns 224.29pts P/L +12.29pts Yield +5.79%

Re: Bowles' "live" Monthly betting book 3.00 WHERE'S SUSIE (1m5f, Cl5, Gd) I had a tip for this animal last time out over sticks about 3 weeks ago & it won fairly easy. Interseting to see it dropped to a mark of 60 over flat (105 over hurdles). It steps up in trip today which should suit the horse far better as it was mainly campaigned over a mile when trained by D Ivory. This race doesnt look particularly strong & 6/1 with Blue sq isnt too shabby. BET 60 - 3.00 BATH WHERE'S SUSIE - 4pts win @ 6/1 Bluesq

Re: Bowles' "live" Monthly betting book will update totals with todays winner later Just an update to my notebook horses: Horses to back next time out: Fullandby - Ran Friday 17/4 (5f, Cl2, G/S), Ran Sun 2/5 (6f, Cl2, G/f) - last, dwelt at the start ran poorly. Enroller - Ran Sat 18/4 (1m 4f, Cl1, S), back on soft going. Medici Pearl - Ran Sat 18/4 (1m, Cl2, S) back on soft ground over 7f. Ran Sat 1/5 (1m, Cl2, G/f) & at York (1m) last week - wait for soft & 7f!! Fanjura - Ran Sat 18/4 (1m, Cl2, S) back on good ground over 7f. Sariska - Ran Sat 18/4 (7f, Cl1, S) slowly away, capable of much better. Thurs 13/5 Won at York winning Oaks trial. Will go to the Oaks now. Star Ruby - Ran Fri 24/4 (1m 2f, Cl4, G) won well, front 2 pulled 8L clear Thurs 13/5 2nd to Sariska at York & worth following this season Hidden Brief - Ran Fri 24/4 (1m 2f, Cl4, G) 2nd to Star ruby. Disappointed at Chester meeting. Rackiteer - Ran Fri 24/4 (1m, Cl2, G) won by 6L pulling away Sirens Gift - Ran Tues 28/4 (5f, Cl1, G/F) follow in sprints 5 or 6f Strike the deal (5f, Cl1, g/f) - looks a 6f horse, ran well latest run over 6f at York on 13/5, could be an interest at Royal Ascot on fast ground over 6f Desert Creek - Ran Mon 4/5 (1m, Cl3, G/f). Can improve again. Emirates Roadshow - Ran Mon 4/5 (1m, Cl3, G/f). chased home Desert Creek, back on good or some cut. Tawaabb Ran Mon 4/5 (5f, Cl5, g/f) would have won but for greeness. AlanBrooke Ran Fri 15/5 (1m3f, cl4, G/Soft) should have won, btn shd, follow as ground may have been a bit too soft Duncan Ran 10/5 - very impressive, Royal Ascot next

3.00 WHERE'S SUSIE (1m5f' date= Cl5, Gd) I had a tip for this animal last time out over sticks about 3 weeks ago & it won fairly easy. Interseting to see it dropped to a mark of 60 over flat (105 over hurdles). It steps up in trip today which should suit the horse far better as it was mainly campaigned over a mile when trained by D Ivory. This race doesnt look particularly strong & 6/1 with Blue sq isnt too shabby. BET 60 - 3.00 BATH WHERE'S SUSIE - 4pts win @ 6/1 Bluesq
1ST @ 15/2 :clap May Total Total bets 44 Wins / bets 5/25 EW/ Bets 6/19 Total bets 11/44 SR 25% Staked 162pts Returns 170.7pts P/L +8.7pts Yield +5.37% Overall total Total bets 60 Wins / bets 8/34 EW/ Bets 10/26 Total bets 18/60 SR 30% Staked 216pts Returns 252.29pts P/L +36.29pts Yield +16.80%

Re: Bowles' "live" Monthly betting book 7.00 TOWCESTER - LODGICIAN (2m3f, Cl4, Gd) Nigel Twiston Davies only runner at the night meetings & Paddy brennans only ride. ok, this is just sometimes how i end up with a bet, normally i will study all the form etc etc however these things are worth noticing ! BET 61 - LODGICIAN 4pts win @ 16.5 Betfair

Ran well for a long way Rob' date=' used to be with John Quinn didnt it?[/quote'] it did run well & to be honest if Twiston Davies brings it out over 2m, we should be on. Ran out of steam but jumped well after a few sketchy jumps away to the left, perhaps next time left handed over 2m & i think it might make a chaser also the way it jumped. That was only 2nd run for the trainer, not sure who had it before.

Re: Bowles' "live" Monthly betting book Still great stuff this, Bowlesy. I think the idea of posting every bet you place on here, it's something I've been doing for a while in my specialist thread (you can see how rarely I place bets:lol - the only exception being when I go the races - only once this year anyway, which was last Fri at York). It doesn't half help you to keep disciplined. Keep up the good stuff:ok