Announcements
*** Ascot Festival Competition: Well done to 1st. RUG, 2nd. Soi Bongkot & 3rd. Jediknight ***
** June Poker League Result : 1st kevsul, 2nd Like2Fish, 3rd McG **
** June Naps Competition Result: 1st Kingdom for, 2nd Offramp, 3rd glavintobuy, 4th bymatrix. KO Cup Winner: Kingsom for, Most Winners: Johnrobertson **

Uefa Cup 26/2/2009

I read in the Birmingham Mail that Villa will be keeoing 9 of the big guns at home on Thursday. It seems that this competition will be sacrificed so that the CL quest can continue;

Aston Villa stars miss Moscow trip Feb 24 2009 by Bill Howell, Birmingham Mail

VILLA boss Martin O’Neill today sent a reserve squad to Moscow with eight first teamers left behind as he openly admitted his chase for the ‘Holy Grail’ of the Premier League. There is no Gareth Barry, Ashley Young, Emile Heskey, Gabby Agbonlahor, Stiliyan Petrov, Carlos Cuellar, Brad Friedel or James Milner. O’Neill has made exactly the same ploy as Bolton boss Gary Megson last season when he sent out a reserve side in the last 16 against Sporting Lisbon. Megson was pilloried at the time but then kept Bolton in the Premier League on the final day of the season. O’Neill has his focus entirely on beating Stoke this Sunday and says a Champions League spot means “everything” this season. “We want to keep momentum going in the Premier League – an opinion I am sure Villa fans would echo. “But we don’t really have the size of squad that Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal can call on. That’s not being defeatist – that’s just being realistic. “None of the players mentioned the first leg against CSKA Moscow as an excuse for the Chelsea defeat – but I will. “The irony is we broke our necks to get into Europe. Now we are in the final 32 of the UEFA Cup and we are having second and third looks at it all. “We have to try and please Villa fans but I am sure they would think that the Premier League - which can help drive you into the Champions League - is the holy grail. “It seems strange I know but had we been seventh, eighth or ninth, let’s say, in the table, it would have been a different outlook. “Chasing a top four spot though - to get you a place in the Champions League - is everything.” O’Neill has named a 19-man squad for the second leg match in the Round of 32. The Villa boss added: “We have a couple of players carrying injuries and a couple of others who I believe need resting for the important final third of the season.” Young keeper Elliott Parish, young defenders Eric Lichaj, Ciaran Clark and Shane Lowry and midfielders Barry Bannan and Marc Albrighton make the trip. It means the likely team to face CSKA is: Guzan; L Young, Davies, Knight, Shorey; Gardner, Sidwell, Salifou, Osbourne, Delfouneso; Carew. Squad: Brad Guzan, Stuart Taylor, Elliott Parish, Luke Young, Curtis Davies, Zat Knight, Nicky Shorey, Eric Lichaj, Ciaran Clark, Shane Lowry, Steve Sidwell, Moustapha Salifou, Craig Gardner, Isaiah Osbourne, Barry Bannan, Marc Albrighton, Marlon Harewood, John Carew and Nathan Delfouneso.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Uefa Cup 26/2/2009 Some bets I have picked out for the Villa game CSKA to bt. A Villa 1.73 @ Bluesq 10pts CSKA to bt. A Villa -1 3.25 @ Skybet 10pts CSKA to bt. A Villa -2 6.5 @ PaddyPower 3pts Can't believe that this team is being sent out, the big misses for me are the front three and Barry. Can't see how the midfield are going to create anything for the forwards, CSKA showed they can be dangerous last week. This almost looks too good to be true, think these prices will disappear by Thursday.

Re: Uefa Cup 26/2/2009 Was raging my local would only let a £60 max bet on 5/6 cska moscow, took that and may well hit another local going 8/11 tomorrow if the price stays. You really can see Villa have given this match up already with O'neill saying the league is more important and look at that midfield, bar Sidwell that is a poor poor midfield. I fancied CSKA anyway but after seeing that team today this looks an absolute banker with CSKA' impressive home record

Re: Uefa Cup 26/2/2009

CSKA O 1.5 goals 10/11 skybet. CSKA 3-0 16/1 Lads CSKA 4-0 50/1 Lads CSKA 3-1 80/1 S james
If your fancying, i think that you might want to check the CSKA 3-1 bet you've done. Villa are 80/1 to win 3-1 with Stan James, CSKA are only 9/1 with S James but there is a best price of 16/1 with Lads.

Strange how some sides battle all season to get into Europe' date=' then cant wait to get knocked out......[/quote'] Clarky, if Villa were sitting around 6-10th spot then they would give the UEFA Cup more of a go, but now that they can realistically qualify for CL there is a great sense of urgency. Villa are depleted and still don't have a deep bench so it is obvious they must continue to keep as much fresh legs as possible.

Clarky' date=' if Villa were sitting around 6-10th spot then they would give the UEFA Cup more of a go, but now that they can realistically qualify for CL there is a great sense of urgency. Villa are depleted and still don't have a deep bench so it is obvious they must continue to keep as much fresh legs as possible.[/quote'] Well its clear that in this situation betting on CSKA is going to be the way and who am i to refuse... however anyone that has bet on them in the past 24 hours was far too late... I did take a max bet on CSKA -1.5 @ 3.4 with 100% intent to lay as the market is flooded... bookies when hearing this news would probably even overcompensate in adjusting their odds because they know the type of frenzy that this type of news attracts... one question i always ask myself... with the current market sentiment can i possibly find value... and with everybody in the world betting on CSKA the answer is no... best option for those late is take a smaller stake on CSKA -2 or 2.5... small stake larger handicap.... with no other commitments CSKA could very much go all out and score as many as possible... they are capable of 2-3 goals against most teams in this competition... I would not rule out more...

If your fancying' date=' i think that you might want to check the CSKA 3-1 bet you've done. Villa are 80/1 to win 3-1 with Stan James, CSKA are only 9/1 with S James but there is a best price of 16/1 with Lads.[/quote'] yep, 16/1 for the 3-1 i have. Had odds coming out of my ears recently. :ok

Re: Uefa Cup 26/2/2009 there is one bet which caught my eye, will be my main bet: Stuttgart - Zenit +0,5 @ 2,04 Pinnacle/188Bet Russians showed first leg they aren't out of form due long winter break and won 2:1 at home. Stuttgart missed many chances, especially Gomez played well but couldn't avoid the defeat. Away goal in first leg means Stuttgart will be through this round with a 1:0 home win, but I think it won't happen. They've some defense problems, their main CF Matthieu Delpierre will be missed massiveley, Arthur Boka (left defender) and Bastürk are also unavailable. Magnin substitute for Boka caught heavy cold and is doubtful. CF Boulahrouz is totally out of form, was even attacked by own goalie in last match!! So it's logical this team has problems to hold a clean sheet atm, showing nice in last Bundesliga matches (3:3, 3:3, 4:2) and also against Zenit last week (1:2). Advocaat on the other side has two important missings due to suspension: Skipper Anatoliy Tymoshchuk and full-back Radek Sirl. Especially the missing of Tymoshchuk is a big blow to Zenit, especially in midfield. We will probably see a defensive St. Petersburg side, which wants to hold a scoreless draw as long as possible, but with Danny and Huszti in their squad Zenit posseses also options with dangerous counterattacks. With all Stuttgart's defensive issues won't be able to beat russian side with just 1:0. I see a clear X2 as an outcome. Gl @ all ;)

Re: Uefa Cup 26/2/2009 Metalist kharkiv v Sampdoria I don't think Sampdoria can win in Khrakiv.Reasons why: - Pazzini is cup tied and as far as i know Cassano and Palombo didn't travel to Ukraine as well. - Weather factor.It's -10c in Kharkov now and snowing. - Metalist has great home record and din't strat home leauge yet so they will be 100% ready for this match. Metalist's line up should be the same as last time.Metalist not to loose is a sure bet but price on Metalist to win is too good so me bet: Metalist to win @2.00 PP :hope GL

Clarky, if Villa were sitting around 6-10th spot then they would give the UEFA Cup more of a go, but now that they can realistically qualify for CL there is a great sense of urgency. Villa are depleted and still don't have a deep bench so it is obvious they must continue to keep as much fresh legs as possible
Mike... i know what your saying but both Villa & Spurs are now both saying that the uefa cup is now a hindrance & i just found it ironic that teams strive to get into europe & then cant/dont play their full teams.... but this has happened since the uefa cup became the farce it is today with group games,CL dropouts etc..

Re: Uefa Cup 26/2/2009 CSK vs Villa Seems as though people on here can smell blood and with the team selection you can see why. The cautious side of me keeps nagging at the fact that CSK only need a 0-0 draw to go through and if Villa possess anything - they possess pace and they have some talented youngsters - who will play without any fear on Thursday evening, they are more than capable of nicking an away goal and the counter attack is their forte Having said all of that - you have to go with CSK if they approach the game in the correct way and this will be Zico's first home game in charge (please correct me, if I am mistaken) despite my nagging thought of a draw: CSK home win .........side bet on: by 2 goals

Re: Uefa Cup 26/2/2009 Well I can tell you a bit about coach Zico's style. He is quite good in buildung up strong relationships with his players which can result in unexpexted good performance by his players. His ingame skills are not very good. He has sometimes problems to exchange the right players, but at his time in Fenerbahce, all "his" players fighted 100% for him and for the team. So, when we taking into account what Mike said, CSK should have a slight advantege over Aston Villa in terms of motivation. Additionally it is a home match and CSK is more under pressure than Aston Villa to gain a good score. If you would ask me what to bet, I would probably say under because Villa will try to be successful without effort too much! (which should mean good defense work)

Re: Uefa Cup 26/2/2009 UEFA bets bet365 treble system 5€ each treble. Twente 2.50 Steve Mclaren have some ambitions in this cup with Twente. At home they are worth backing at these odds. French teams never seem to have ambitions for UEFA. Marseille were outplayed on their own patch by Twente, who will be disappointed not to have come away from the Stade Velodrome last Thursday with a bigger margin of victory.Strikers Brandao and Sylvain Wiltord are not eligible to play in the UEFA Cup but they have still been included in a 21-man travelling party for the fixture.Twente will be without the suspended Eljero Elia, but coach Steve McClaren has an otherwise full-strength squad to choose from. Shakhtar 2.37 As said last thursday by Harry Redknapp: I fielded a weak squad in Ukraine and I will field an even weaker one in England. Shakhtar won in CL away to the BA teams Barcelona and Basle and they are a counter-attacking side so playing away should suit their play style and give the Spurs youngsters some problems. Wolfsburg 1.90 (droped to 1.83) Two late goals from Hoarau decided last match in Paris but Wolfsburg should have their win at home where they are strong and have a record of 9-1-0 in Bundesliga. Fiorentina 2.50 La viola is still the favourite to advance in this meeting and they should get their win. PSV Eindhoven last year had a good effort away in Florens (1-1) but lost 0-2 at home.

Re: Uefa Cup 26/2/2009 Tottenham - Shakhtar Donetsk Bet: AWAY 2.40 Centrebet Welcome Shakhtar to White Hart Lane where you will be facing a team full of youngsters not taking part in this sundays final at Wembley. This coming sunday the Carling cup final is about to happen and Redknapp just can't afford to risk any keyplayers before a cupfinal against United at Wembley. Aston Villa fields a weak squad but Spurs is forced to field an even weaker squad compared to what's left out in Villa. Spurs want to win Carling Cup and don't give a rats ass about UEFA cup. Prioritise is what it is all about for Aston Villa and Spurs. Btw: This is really a bet worth a maximum stake when it's so obvious how Spurs don't care.

Re: Uefa Cup 26/2/2009 HI, My gut feeling is to keep away from the spurs v shakhter match. Fair enough redknapp isnt bothered about the uefa cup now but he may well be in few weeks if they can string a few league wins together. I thought it was a mistake to play a weakened squad in shakter in the first place as i see them having a better chance of euro qualification next year thru the uefa cup than a win on sunday. Youth team/fringe players can also cause a suprise especially in this kind of game where their lack of maturity wont matter, they have nothing to lose and arent been asked to do a disciplined job (requiring experience) but just go out, get at them and see if they can get the win. A goal before h-t and who knows what can happen? But i certainly dont fancy shakter here. The first goal is crucial. If i do decide to play it i might stick small stakes on 2-0 spurs @14/1 and if that happens it is anyones in extra time/ penalties. AJAX V FIORENTINA I think a home win is a good bet here tonight. Ajax arent set-up to keep it tight and hold on to what they have got and italian football just doesnt cut it anymore in europe. I can see ajax scoring a few here tonight, and taking advantage of fiorentinas lack of shape when having to push forward. Again the first goal is crucial and i believe ajax will get it forcing fiorentina forward and opening them up. I think ajax will go far this year under van basten, taking into cnsideration what has been posted above about top clubs not taking this competition seriously. the uefa cup these days suits an attacking team, used to winning domestically regularly from an average strength league- Ajax fit that perfectly. S.LIEGE v Braga I bet on liege in the first leg and they had a disaster going down 3-0 on the end. I watched that match and they didnt start too badly but went down to a great individual first goal and it all went wrong from there. Id love to see Liege go thru as i think they play some nicde football, they are certainly a better team than braga, but the 3 goal advantage will probably be too much for them to over-turn. Even so i doubt theyll just give up, its not past any team to get a 2-0 lead before h-t and so i think the 1.85 for the home win is a steal especially as braga are quite poor and wont know how to approach this game until at least 60-70mins in when they can assess where they are from scoreline.

Re: Uefa Cup 26/2/2009 Others for me tonight UDINESE v Lech poznan After a poor run udinese have started turning the tide alittle and got back to scoring ways recently in th last half a dozen games. i like there 4-3-3 system and they have goals in them combined with the defensive italian style. With there confidence back i can see a solid professional win to nil to send them through. Odds not great @1.57 but should come off. CSKA v Villa Everything already been said about this match, i took them @ 1.63 (hw). dont think it will be the goal fest some are predicting but 2-0 is likely. MAN CITY v copenhagen HW available at 1.52. Not great especially considering how man city have stuttered through games at times. But they have also won convincing on a hand full of occasions- home to portsmouth,hull,stoke etc.. i think tonight they will produce that form and score at least 3 but concede too. Singles on Ajax liege man city cska udinese and a five fold @ 21/1

Re: Uefa Cup 26/2/2009 Galatasaray Sanctis Sabri Emre Aşık Meira Hakan Barış M.Topal Ayhan Arda Lincoln Baros Bordeaux Rame Chalme Henrique Diawara Placente Diarra Fernando Jussie Wendel Chamakh Cavenaghi it is time to challenge.. skibbe was fired last weekend.. and our great captain bülent korkmaz became new manager.. and we know that teams everytime play very good with new manager.. today, servet wont play due to injury.. bordeaux came to istanbul without gourcuff and jurietti.. these are vary important missings especillay gourcuff is the best player off this team.. galatasaray wins; 2.25 bet365

Well its clear that in this situation betting on CSKA is going to be the way and who am i to refuse... however anyone that has bet on them in the past 24 hours was far too late... I did take a max bet on CSKA -1.5 @ 3.4 with 100% intent to lay as the market is flooded... bookies when hearing this news would probably even overcompensate in adjusting their odds because they know the type of frenzy that this type of news attracts... one question i always ask myself... with the current market sentiment can i possibly find value... and with everybody in the world betting on CSKA the answer is no... best option for those late is take a smaller stake on CSKA -2 or 2.5... small stake larger handicap.... with no other commitments CSKA could very much go all out and score as many as possible... they are capable of 2-3 goals against most teams in this competition... I would not rule out more...
CSKA (-1) still 2.87 at WH. :ok

Re: Uefa Cup 26/2/2009 Valencia v Dynamo Kyiv Dynamo has no strikers left.Mylevsky is suspended.Bangura,Ninkovich,Gilerme are injured or not fully fit.Also Usuf,Diakate and Kadury are injured. Valencia doesn't win at home to often these days so i think they will try to make their fans happy today.Villa should start as well. Dynamo played in Spain 10 times and only won once. My bet: Valencia to win @1.6 bet 365 :hope GL

Re: Uefa Cup 26/2/2009 Does anyone have any info about the Twente game tonight? I think they are a very strong team and I guess the Twente +0 has a very good value, I do not see them loosing tonight. Does anyone know anything about the probable teams etc. I really need a good one today since I lost a lot on Real yesterday :wall:wall:wall :@ Thank you

Mike... i know what your saying but both Villa & Spurs are now both saying that the uefa cup is now a hindrance & i just found it ironic that teams strive to get into europe & then cant/dont play their full teams.... but this has happened since the uefa cup became the farce it is today with group games' date='CL dropouts etc..[/quote'] I totally agree with this. It sums football up, really short sighted. They could go on, win the UEFA cup and raise their profile even further....instead, there is a distinct possibility that Villa will finish 4th, qualify for the CL, following that I Can see them getting knocked out at the qualification stage next season....just like Everton did. Pointless because they will lose out on all the riches that go with the CL. Does anyone know anything about the kids that are coming in for this game? I wouldn't want to lump on CSKA if Villa have 4 potential Wayne Rooney's up their sleeve.