** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

UEFA Cup ( 18-19 02 2009 )

Bagzi

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: UEFA Cup ( 18-19 02 2009 )

Cracking odds indeed, but as posted with other guys trusting a Russian team fully after the break is a bit brave. Stuttgart in fact started well in the league - a win in L'kusen and a credible draw in Hannover isn't bad at all. This particular German team as a rule does better in the second half of the season, they're familiar with Euro Cups as well. Zenith record last season against German teams is great, but I was lucky to see all 5 games and truth is they gained their advantage away - in St Petersburg they were strange. At home to Nurnberg they were 2-0 down at some point, true, Charisteas scored from a lucky deflection, but both Russian goals to level the score were more a result of chaotic push than a good football. Vs Leverkusen Zenith gave the Germans a counter-attacking lesson away, just to drop the game home having a great advantage from the first leg. Vs Bayern it was a different story, the 1-1 draw away pushed Bayern to open up from the start, Zenith were clinical enough to score 2 relatively early goals on the break ( mind you, without Arshavin ) and Bayern forgot completely about defending, finishing the game with 4 forwards and dirty nervous play, being destroyed on counters. Truth is though Advocaat played both games vs Bayern as if he plays away, tight defending and limited attacking with fast breaks. Advocaat is top Manager, but pushing forward from the start vs a German team that scored 7 in the last 2 games, hmmm... Zenith won the Cup with great counter-attacking football, but everyone is now aware, incl. Stuttgart, a possible swap of roles might have the opposite effect. Fingers crossed for your bet, but I would go for singles, with this game I think no team has any advantage, it could simply go either way. Don't want to start another topic here again, but after losing to Leverkusen at home voices were heard the game was dropped on purpose( bookies?). More salt was added to the wound with the mob in Russia claiming they ''bought'' the game vs Bayern. What has to be remembered is that they knocked out Villareal, Marseille, Bayer, Bayern and Rangers and scalped Man U for the Super Cup. Yet no one has any idea how well are they prepared now. NO BET
It's brave, but then again, isn't betting in general? :ok The Russian league has developed an awful lot these last few years, maybe more than people realise. They don't produce the old half-way sides they used to, the ones that would just disappear after a weak away leg of a tie. They produce good sides, most likely due to vast amount of money invested in the league these days. Zenit showed that today - good players, great manager, good result. Their tactics may be questionable - most sides' tactics are these days it seems - but their efficiency is decidedly Dutch, which I like about them. I don't really know about the game with Bayern being "bought" - people say lots of things. I look and see Zenit won the UEFA Cup which is more than 2 matches - it's a great achievement, as you pointed out. On a side-note, that's two Russian sides winning it over 4-5 years - it's impressive for them, an example of what I mentioned before. Aside from that, I really don't rate Stuttgart these days. They've been poor and not turned up for games they should have. Had Zenit faced Leverkusen tonight, for example, then I would have been more hesitant because I rate them rather highly, but such is life. Still, you win some, you lose some. The result I was most impressed with tonight was AaB beating Depor. Not many fancied it, but a few of us on here did and they showed up in true style. Then again, so did Metalist! I rate Metalist but I thought a draw would be their best result in Italy. Did anyone watch this game? Did they deserve their victory?

Re: UEFA Cup ( 18-19 02 2009 ) Copenhagen vs Man City As we know, this season, life in the 'blue moon' :eyes lane of life is far from dull. The recent signings of Bellamy and Bridge bring a little more stability to the COM side but the inconsistency of the ex Moss siders will eventually surely make Mark Hughes' hair the colour of Gandalf's. Copenhagen are a decent side by all accounts but their manager's recent pronouncement that Man City are 'killing the game of football', adds a dash more spice to the tie and may only serve in motivating the opposition into greater effort. Draw or Man City win ------------------------------------------------------ Donetsk vs Spurs I would have taken the evens initially offered on the Dons but it transpires, that has floated down the Volga (artistic liscence)after Harry elaborated on possible team selections for this evening. Copengagen are now odds on and present reduced value. The back story is well documented...Spurs are fighting relegation domestically, have the Carling Cup looming large, Harry's excellent window signings will be sat at home with the teletext on, most senior players are absent and Harry is mumbling about the terrible pitch. As for the Dons - performed well in the Champions League, are fully rested after a two month winter break and must surely fancy their chances against a depleted Spurs squad. Dons win but a small prudent wager to cover stake money with the draw bet..you never know with Harry and Cups

Re: UEFA Cup ( 18-19 02 2009 ) Stayed away from most games last night, and that was good, as all games I considered to bet on went wrong, or maybe they went right but my logic was wrong. One thing is important - no Russian or Ukranian team disappointed last night, even Kiyv had a fair game with slim chances to go through - in CL their best games were away, they missed two top players... I am being quiet again tonight, need FC Copenhagen to take at least a point for a nice 3-fold ( Olympiakos let me down ). A look at couple of sites and some opinions here might push me for 3 small stake singles, with the little profit from Man U. Namely: - Shakhtar HW as I like the reasoning by Teabag ( it is not Volga though, it is Don river ); - Over in Poznan, saw the Poles few times earlier, they go forward for 90 mins, Udine also have enough to score vs such opponent; - Over in Marseille, for similar reasons as the Lech - Udine game. Need time and opinions though...

Re: UEFA Cup ( 18-19 02 2009 ) Hello everybody, :cheers Just joined the forum after a long period of jut watching your posts and picks. Here is my bet for today: Shakhtar - Tottenham Robbie Keane and Jermain Defoe are ineligible, as is Roman Pavlyuchenko, Harry did not keep a secret the fact that the match against Hull is more important than the UEFA Cup I also found some information regarding Cudicini, Modric, Palacios, Lennon & Woodgate, it seams they were left at home. So my pick for today: Shakthtar -0,-0.5- you can find it at anywhere from 1,6 to 1,72 The only thing that is keeping me to take it as a clear home win is the fact that Shakhtar payers do not have a lot of "games in there boots" this season however I think that this will not keep Shakhtar from :spank an allready troubled Tottenham. Good Luck :ok

Re: UEFA Cup ( 18-19 02 2009 ) Hello guys...i just joined this site i i really like what i have read so far......Lost some good money yesterday....put cash on Olymiakos and bourdeaux but we all know what happened.... Any body have any informations about todays uefa cup games......Who can give me a sure bets on the following games please. 1. Lech Poznan vs udinese 2. Shakhtar Donetsk vs Tottenham 3. Fc Copenhagen vs manchester City 4. Florentina vs Ajax Amsterdam 5. Marseille vs Fc twente Thanks guys will be looking to hear .

Re: UEFA Cup ( 18-19 02 2009 ) Shakhtar Donetsk v Tottenham ...Spurs... Ok,you all probably know news about Spurs:who is suspended,who is cup tied,injured and didn't travel.So basicly Spurs have only few experienced players-Bent,Bentlea,Zakora,Gomes and Harry thinks more about EPL then UEFA Cup...Spurs have 6 games in 16 days and can't efford any more injuries so they will play in Doneck for draw. Spurs lost last 5 away matches against: Bolton,Man Un,Burley,Wigan and WBA Now back to Ukraine... Cold weather,long trip no time for rest... ...Shakhtar Donetsk... ...Very solid at home...Fresh and had more time to prepare to this game...They don't do very well in domestic league this year but always strong in Europe...Shakhtar will give all 100% to win this match. Shakhtars won last 5 home matches against:Karpaty,basel,Dynamo Kyiv,Zorya,Lviv FC Shakhatar possible line up:Hudzamov-Srna,Ischenko,Chygrinsky,Rac-Levandovsky-Zadson,Fernandinio,Villian-Seleznyov,Luis Adriano Maybe will start: Pyatov(main keeper),Moreno Injured:Gaj,Kastilio My bet: Shakhtar -0.5 @1.92 bet365 :hope GL

Re: UEFA Cup ( 18-19 02 2009 ) Shakhtar Donetsk v Tottenham The Uefa cup is the least of Tottenhams worries at the moment with the league and carling cup fixtures upon them Harry Redknapp sent over mainly youngesters and rest key players for the domestic fixtures, a fresh Shakhtar might not have it all plain sailling but a win looks to be the outcome for them. Shakhtar Donetsk Win 4/5 Bet365

Re: UEFA Cup ( 18-19 02 2009 ) I quite understand what you all are saying....i am going to use yesterday's match as a reference point...look at Olympiakos vs saint Etienne .....St are doing so badly in domestic league and fighting for relegation and sent a less experiences team to Greece but they happen to pull a very good win. The Shakhter games looks so similar and is very tempting and dangerous.

I quite understand what you all are saying....i am going to use yesterday's match as a reference point...look at Olympiakos vs saint Etienne .....St are doing so badly in domestic league and fighting for relegation and sent a less experiences team to Greece but they happen to pull a very good win. The Shakhter games looks so similar and is very tempting and dangerous.
Don't bet then,simple is that...No point to play if you don't have balls m8 :lol If you don't trust Shakhtar then bet on Spurs ;)

Re: UEFA Cup ( 18-19 02 2009 ) Thanks Mohno and shaking...i understand what you guys have said and i feel the same as well......But the Olympiakos vs St Etienne's game looks exactly the same......St Etienne's seem to be in the same situation Tottenham are in now....not doing well in the league and sent a relatively in experienced side to play...but the result did not reflect that....It is very tempting and dangerous......any other bets on other games...? please

Re: UEFA Cup ( 18-19 02 2009 ) dont chase losses m8 just sit it out tonight wait 4 champs league next week, st ett sent the 3 top plyrs who all scored to olympiakos, thy plyd on the break nd if olympiakos hd a better finisher they cud hve won, whereas w/o defeo/modric/lennon i cnt c tottenham doing tht well, shaktar to win 2-0 with either jadson/fernandinho scoring

Re: UEFA Cup ( 18-19 02 2009 ) fiorentina very strng at hme, is thy start with mutu n gilardino then deffo home win but there in a race 4 chmps league football so thy myt nt ply a full strength team, as for marseille i dnt reli bet on french teams and frm wat ive seen off twente there nt bad, lech poznan my be wrth a draw no bet tho

Re: UEFA Cup ( 18-19 02 2009 ) only pick today will be Fiorentina -Ajax over 2,5 goals @ 1,92 Unibet Both teams are ofensive minded, good scoring abilities but weak defense. Fior with charismatic duo Alberto Gilardino and Adrian Mutu in front, guaranty for at least one goal tonight . Ajax appear to be vulnerable especially in away matches, but have to rely on Uruguayan attacker Luis Suarez or Miralem Sulejmani after seeling Huntelaar to Real M. Also Gabri, Eyong Enoh, Siem de Jong, Dario Cvitanich, Jan Vertonghen and Ismail Aissati will be missing. IMO we will see an open match with many goals ;)

Re: UEFA Cup ( 18-19 02 2009 ) Lech Poznan - Udinese over 2.5 Lech have scored and conceded in each of their 3 home games in the UEFA Cup as they do like to go on the attack which also leaves them vulnerable on the counter attack. Udinese have played well on the road in this competition so they will be ready to put another good result here, which should see some goals in this game. Shaktar Donetsk -1.5 Tottenham travel east to the cold temperatures of the Ukraine to face a team without Woodgate, Modric, Cudicini, Palacios and Lennon who have been left behind in London as Keane, Pavlyuchenko and Corluka are cup-tied, while King and O'Hara are out injured. So a below strength Spurs side face a very good side at home and though they haven't played for two months, a couple of teams last night showed that they are still competitive. Big ask for Spurs to go there with a second string side and the locals will be motivated to put on a big performance against the more illustrious side Fiorentina -1.5 Fiorentina should be able to easily handle an Ajax side with their two very good forwards Gilardino and Mutu leading the way as they face the Dutch side who are missing a number of players who are injured like Enoh, Gabri, Vertonghen, Blind, Cvitanich, Aissati, van der Heijden and Donald. Domestically Ajax have struggled with one win in their last 5 games and they face a huge challenge against a Fiorentina side with plenty of class in their side

Thanks...any other bets on other games...? please
It would be good to read your thoughts too : - simply following other peoples' ideas one day might cost you a lot, I ruined myself a great acca for Marty McG last season being 100% sure Genoa will beat Siena, on top of my loss; - the idea in a forum is to share opinions and info, don't think anyone will take you seriously if you only ask for tips, you might as well just read the posts... BOL P.S. Not sure it was Marty, but I am sure my pick upset someone...:\

only pick today will be Fiorentina -Ajax over 2' date=5 goals @ 1,92 Unibet Both teams are ofensive minded, good scoring abilities but weak defense. Fior with charismatic duo Alberto Gilardino and Adrian Mutu in front, guaranty for at least one goal tonight . Ajax appear to be vulnerable especially in away matches, but have to rely on Uruguayan attacker Luis Suarez or Miralem Sulejmani after seeling Huntelaar to Real M. Also Gabri, Eyong Enoh, Siem de Jong, Dario Cvitanich, Jan Vertonghen and Ismail Aissati will be missing. IMO we will see an open match with many goals ;)
Was tempted with this one as well, but will stay away, as I don't think both got weak defenses. My last memory with Ajax was in UEFA at Hamburger, they only allowed one clean opportunity to HSV ( Olic hit the post ). Second, Fiore have the third best defense in Italy. An Over is possible, but I am not happy with the odds in view of the stats and in view of what I saw. Good Luck

Re: UEFA Cup ( 18-19 02 2009 ) Fior's defense has big problems when they play against fast technical forwards like Ajax has. I saw them against Bayern twice and their defense didn't convince me, latest results in Seria A also indicate there is smth wrong in their backyard, may have third best defense in league but can't hold a cleen sheet. My pick relies more on ajax's weakness atm, but also the fact they score at least once a game. Perhaps we will see smth like 3:1 and all people are happy ;)

Fior's defense has big problems when they play against fast technical forwards like Ajax has. I saw them against Bayern twice and their defense didn't convince me' date=' latest results in Seria A also indicate there is smth wrong in their backyard, may have third best defense in league but can't hold a cleen sheet. My pick relies more on ajax's weakness atm, but also the fact they score at least once a game. Perhaps we will see smth like 3:1 and all people are happy ;)[/quote'] Like I said, good luck, hope you are right, my joy will be watching 4 goals later with the highlights, thinking I missed a good pick yet again :lol :ok

Re: UEFA Cup ( 18-19 02 2009 ) Thanks Nicko.......Honestly i am very confused here and my thoughts are as follows.....I don't see udinese winning this game...Lech are a very strong side at home and would not want to go to italy disadvantaged so i guess a win or draw will be an i deal bet there.....I would rather go for marseille to win over twente...Marseille are a very technical side with very face and dangerious players...there attackers have strength to go past defenders......I don't see fc twente getting pass them..as for florentina and ajax that is a very strong game i wont want to go there......Ajax have been playing badly and i guess they will want to use this a game as one which they will use in raising there game anything is possible here...Ajax seem to be the underdogs and could close there defense if they manage to slip in a goal.The shakhtar tottenham game i see a draw game there.....tottenham maybe fighting for there life's but i guess some of the young players might want to impress harry and as a result of that both teams will cancel out each other. Thats what i feel.......

It would be good to read your thoughts too : - simply following other peoples' ideas one day might cost you a lot, I ruined myself a great acca for Marty McG last season being 100% sure Genoa will beat Siena, on top of my loss; - the idea in a forum is to share opinions and info, don't think anyone will take you seriously if you only ask for tips, you might as well just read the posts... BOL P.S. Not sure it was Marty, but I am sure my pick upset someone...:\
Don't think it was me mate, anyway I couldn't complain. Have had enough losing picks over the years on here ;) Chelseafan- I hear your worries regarding Spurs, I got burnt backing against St Etienne in the UEFA Cup as they had a terrible record away from home in Ligue 1 yet they turned over Copenhagen in Denmark and got another convincing win away from home last night. It was the same with Man City, I backed Schalke ( I think) to beat them in Germany as City were struggling away in the Premiership yet City won. You can't compare home/away in various leagues IMO with a different competition. I've seen Shakhtar a lot over the years and they are a very good side, but a bit funny- I would of thought they would have enough to take at least a point against Sporting Lisbon over 2 games but maybe thats credit to Sporting. This isn't a priority for Spurs and I think Donetsk will win but I listened to Harry's interview last night and while he said the game wasn't a priority, experienced players are still travelling, Bentley, Huddlestone, Jenas, Bent- and the game gives guys like Giovannia Dos Santos a chance to impress. So Spurs will still have some very good players out. I do think Shakhtar can get a home win but I've been burnt a lot in the UEFA Cup and by these scenarios ( a weakened team playing) that I will probably just sit it out tonight.

Don't think it was me mate, anyway I couldn't complain. Have had enough losing picks over the years on here ;)
Could be another Marty-member here, I claimed Siena were the weakest team in Serie A at that time, he followed, and I f@cked up for both of us. He wasn't happy...:\

Could be another Marty-member here' date=' I claimed Siena were the weakest team in Serie A at that time, he followed, and I f@cked up for both of us. He wasn't happy...:\[/quote'] :lol:lol Ach wouldn't worry about it mate, thats the great thing about this forum normally people dont hold grudges, they do, after all, come on here to read other peoples opinions and thats what you gave :ok

Re: UEFA Cup ( 18-19 02 2009 ) ive made sum decent profit by following your picks nicko i reckon u get mre right then u do wrong, for me tonight fiorentina look great value, doing well in the league against an out of form ajax with loads of injuries the handicap myt just be the best option as for marseille like yday bordeaux result im staying away, totenham still hve a good team on paper just seen the potential line up chance for bent, campbell, do santos, jenas and gomes to really put them selves on show for the boss, with harry taking all the pressure of the game but i still think in the cold and after the long flight a full strength shaktar team will beat them though the barca game is no real reference point as they had nothing to play for jadson and fernandinho and 2-0 shaktar tonight a side bet on lech poznan 2-1 against udinese di natali probably gettin a penalty!

I quite understand what you all are saying....i am going to use yesterday's match as a reference point...look at Olympiakos vs saint Etienne .....St are doing so badly in domestic league and fighting for relegation and sent a less experiences team to Greece but they happen to pull a very good win. The Shakhter games looks so similar and is very tempting and dangerous.
I guess that an even better comparison could be made with PSG considering they mentioned they are not interested in the Uefa Cup and that they rested the players and still won. But I guess this will not happen tonight considering the players that spurs can't count on, there lack of interest and there opponent... They are playing against a strong team that will give it's best on the field, a team that comes from the Champions League and that will play at home with there fans, weather etc. The game will not be as easy as 6-0 for Shakhtar in the first half :tongue2however I think that in the end Shakhtar will win this one

I guess that an even better comparison could be made with PSG considering they mentioned they are not interested in the Uefa Cup and that they rested the players and still won. But I guess this will not happen tonight considering the players that spurs can't count on, there lack of interest and there opponent... They are playing against a strong team that will give it's best on the field, a team that comes from the Champions League and that will play at home with there fans, weather etc. The game will not be as easy as 6-0 for Shakhtar in the first half :tongue2however I think that in the end Shakhtar will win this one
Thing is here is that PSG has not been at this level of late and players such as Hoarau are very much looking to prove himself (He is well able to fit into PSG first team however has competition with Guily playing forward) I think that F. Campbell may be an option as he may be considered in a similar situation w/o looking at the odds I would need 2/1 at least maybe even 5/2 to take him as he is young and only on loan where as Hoarou has less time in front of him and may find his career halt if nothing happens for him... just some thoughts (some should note that recearching reserve players can be a telling factor in some of these types of match ups... one can easily see that Hoarou is a proven striker and has a scoring record in this comp this season)... Scratch that not sure Campbell starting... I hear Bent is however his motivations can not be trusted as it seems his motivation may lie elsewhere... not sure who could resist the 3/1 available at Bet365 for such a proven striker.... I think I have to nibble on this one...

Re: UEFA Cup ( 18-19 02 2009 ) Well Wolfsburg did quite well against PSG, but without key player Grafite and Misimovic+Benaglio starting injured (2nd information was not published before..) it is very difficult to win/draw. Misimovic had to get out ~60 minutes and Benaglio (as I read) did cause both goals after mistakes due to his injury which influenced him (coach says this).