Low buy in MTT strategy, first few levels

happyhornet

I don't know if anyone else thinks this, but I get the feeling that the play in these MTT's has gone from TAG to LAG to borderline insane. In a PL game we would have 80% still in by the first break, in some of these it is 30-40% or sometimes less. I can't count the number of times that the cards are face up following an all-in and someone has called with an inside draw or second pair. It seems like they can't play through the streets so they'll get their money in asap. I'm no Phil Ivey, but I have enough ability at the game (NLHE) to know go deep in these. However if you come up against these crank calls enough, it is a statistical probability that you will lose. My question is how do you combat these? Try playing a little tighter? Just accept that this is going to happen and it is a numbers game? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Steve

Re: Low buy in MTT strategy, first few levels Good question, have you played them $4 180 man tournies on stars? imo the hardest part of them tournies is lasting the first 1 hour as long as I do that I'm fairly confident I will cash in them the play in the first hour is dire, someone calling a 3 bet with q10 oop and going all the way for that straight it's so sick play. I just tend to fold 90% hands oop and only limp in in position cause your raising gets no respect early on these games. If I have like a big pair bet big you usually get paid of they hold up. Then once it's down to about 80 runners I play my better game once the fish are out.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.