** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

billy the punter's 2009 Diary

Re: billy the punter's 2009 Diary 16th July Tangerine Trees is another success story for the list. He took advantage of some lenient handicapping and completed a hat-trick in the 4.35 at Hamilton. Leonid Glow ran ok back in 3rd and is coming to hand. Orlando's Tale was sickeningly (for me) beaten a nose on handicap debut in the 3.15 at Leicester. He should find a handicap soon. Despite getting clobbered 5lb for the handicapper for a recent 2nd at Windsor, Plaisterer still looked extremely well treated and I was very confident of a win. She was ridden with supreme confidence by the under rated Jack Mitchell, showing decent toe coming from off the pace. This was a convincing win and despite a further 7lb hike for this win, I won't be betting against her in a hurry. Impressive Lingfield maiden winner Funday but her handicap debut in the 7.45 at Epsom. She wasn't given the greatest ride in the world and is perhaps value for better than her 3rd position suggests. Dream On Connie is coming to hand and ran well in the 8.50. Espy ran better than the formline suggests in the 8.55 at Bath.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: billy the punter's 2009 Diary 17th July At Haydock and Newbury, Medicean Man, Lochan Mor, Burza, Saa'Ida and Beachamp Wonder all got bogged down in the soft ground and are capable of better than their performances today. Manere Bay travelled very well in the soft conditions at Newmarket in the 8.50 but could only finish 3rd. She looks a good thing off this mark in a fillies race. Northern Dare loved the barely raceable conditions are Ponty. He will represent little value NTO, especially on quicker ground but is a force when the mud is flying. Whipma Whopma Gate showed no ill-effects from the fall at Ayr earlier in the week and ran a blinder to finish 2nd in the maiden handicap.

Re: billy the punter's 2009 Diary 18th July Comsopoliton was game in victory in the 2.50 Newbury. Sunshine Always travelled well in the 3.05 at Newmarket but again could only finish 2nd. He must find a handicap soon. Cardinal looked an unlucky loser in the Ripon maiden handicap at 5.10. Forced to switch from an unfavourable low draw he finished with a flourish beaten a neck from what looked like an impossible position a furlong out. Lady Luachmhar took advantate of a lenient handicap mark by taking the 6.40 at Haydock. There should be more to come from her. I'd clearly been waiting a looooong time for Dolly Penrose to get her ground...

30th May Wild Rhubarb, Dolly Penrose, and Dayia all ran with credit in the 4.45. Dolly Penrose travelled better than anything but perhaps failed to see out the (2m) trip.
6th June In the 5.45 at Musselburgh, Dolly Penrose made up plenty of ground inside the last to eventually go down by a short head. She looks well handicapped at present and looks sure to find a race soon, she will be especially hard to beat off this mark on easy ground in this grade.
20th June A very pleasing day away from Ascot. At Ayr, Dolly Penrose travelled like the winner before finishing 2nd in the 3.25. She isn't the easiest to win with but is well handicapped and will continue to run consistently. She will do better on a soft surface as it negates the speed of possible rivals.
11th July Dolly Penrose, a close 4th, ran another fine race on ground quicker than ideal.
For the first time this season she had the soft going he needs and done the business. She doesn't find a great deal off the bridle so was value for more than the head winning margin.
27th June Candy Ride and Kindest were a little bit disappointing (2nd & 5th) in the 5.10 but are worth another chance in their own age group.
NTO in a 3yo only handicap (9.10 Haydock) Kindest won well at 9/2. He travelled well and quickened well, there should be more to come.

Re: billy the punter's 2009 Diary 19th July Poor jump racing - nothing to report. 20th July Competitive stuff at Yarmouth and Ayr. Saw nothing that interested me for the future. Better cards in the evening and a pleasing winner from the list in Moonage Daydream who won at Beverley at odds of 12/1. After his previous run over a mile I wrote...

19th June In behind, Moonage Daydream didn't build on his promsing effort at Beverley, although may fare better over slightly shorter.
The drop to 7f did indeed to the trick and he won with a bit in hand. There should be another race in him. Burns Night looked ungenuine in the 8.30. Bolanderi kept on well for 3rd in the 8.50 at Windsor and should do better in time.

Re: billy the punter's 2009 Diary 21st July I was fairly confident about the bets I had lined up for the new Ffos Las and Yarmouth. The day started brightly enough with the ridiculously over priced (33/1 => 22/1) Twist Again getting a place in the 3.15 at Yarmouth. Was travelling well before Jimmy Quinn lost his position but ran on well into 3rd place after the race had been won. Must surely find a race soon. Big Boom, a recent 50/1 2nd for me, looked to hold a major chance in the finale at Yarmouth. Well handicapped, well drawn on going that suited I couldn't see this horse being outside the 1-2-3-4 and he was E/W banker material. Could only finish 2nd however but another solid performance and is obviously well treated. At Ffos Las, Charity Belle looked all over the winner in the 4.00 but was caught inside the last by Hollow Green. Given the weight she conceded to the winner she perhaps got there a little too soon under Jimmy Fortune. Any horse that can cruise three clear in the last should win, usually it's just a case of an ill-judged ride. Compensation awaits. Sir Boss took the 5.30 very comfortably.

Re: billy the punter's 2009 Diary 22nd July Very poor racing. I was 0 from 5 very small bets, the biggest disappointment being First Swallow who was well beaten in the 4.20 at Catterick. Had previously shaped as if coming to hand so I was surprised to see connections apply the headgear for this. He clearly resented them and his progress has been temporarily halted. 23rd July Plenty of horses for the future today. Air Maze looked well treated and took the 5.10 at Bath after a lay-off. More success looks certain. Prescription travelled well in the 7.50 at Doncaster before blowing up late on. This was her first start for some time and she was weak in the betting beforehand. She looked as though she needed the run and being obviously well treated looks sure to fare better in the future. In the 8.25, Whirlijig showed enough ability to suggest he can be competitive in handicaps in the near future. Chris's Jem was travelling well before she repeatedly denied a clear run in the 2.45 at Sandown - this run is best ignored.

Re: billy the punter's 2009 Diary 24th July William Blake continues to hold his form, finishing 2nd in the 5.00 Ascot. I get the feeling however that he is a little soft in a finish. Winrob and Shared Moment looked potential improvers for the 3.05 at Thirsk. The former took the honours at a big price and latter ran better than the formline suggests back in 5th. Indian Violet travelled well in the 8.45 at Newmarket but perhaps was ridden too confidently and could only finish 4th. Handicap success awaits. 25th July I was on Redford ante-post (16/1) for the Abu Dhabi handicap at Ascot and as I believed the race was sure to be run to suit, I went in again on the day at 12/1. Travelled supremely well as usual but wasn't really given a chance to actually go and win the race. The waiting tactics were clearly overdone in my opinion. 3rd under hands and heels. Eton Rifles (2nd in the 4.45 Newcastle) continues to hold his form and must find another race soon. 26th July I thought Saga De Tercey was very well handicapped off 78 but he could only finish 2nd on his handicap debut. The 1m3f trip the sole reason. Hevelius was a little disappointing in the 4.35 at Ascot, it's possible he needs everything to drop right, however he is not to be written off.

Re: billy the punter's 2009 Diary 27th July Whotsit was angonisingly caught late home for the 2nd time in succession, it was another fine front running performance though in the 5.30 at Yarmouth. Appelouse had previously shown enought to suggest a race was within the horses capabilities. Despite an inexperienced ride she ran out a ready winner in the 5.15 at Southwell. Falcon Rock recorded an overdue handicap win in the 6.40 at Windsor. Well handicapped but not 100% straightforward. Apotheosis ran well back in 3rd and will be winning again soon. 28th July Glorious Goodwood day 1. Got stuck into the first race, backing three against the field - Sweet Lightning, Royal Destination and William Blake. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Sweet Lightning was again an unlucky loser, he is obviously well treated but clearly needs everything to drop right. Royal Destination ran a fine race in 3rd under Dale Gibson. You have to think a stronger jockey may have made the half length difference needed. Again William Blake ran well in defeat. Precision Break is a horse I enjoyed much success with last season and I thought he ran very well on seasonal debut back in May. Although I was worried about the (almost three month) lay-off I thought he was big enough at 20/1 to back in the 4.35. He put in a stirling effort, coming from way off the pace to go down battling in a photo. He is unlikely to make the Ebor cut, which is a shame. Wellington Square travelled ok in the 5.10 but didn't really finish the race after being slightly short of room.

Re: billy the punter's 2009 Diary

27th July Whotsit was angonisingly caught late home for the 2nd time in succession, it was another fine front running performance though in the 5.30 at Yarmouth. Appelouse had previously shown enought to suggest a race was within the horses capabilities. Despite an inexperienced ride she ran out a ready winner in the 5.15 at Southwell. Falcon Rock recorded an overdue handicap win in the 6.40 at Windsor. Well handicapped but not 100% straightforward. Apotheosis ran well back in 3rd and will be winning again soon. 28th July Glorious Goodwood day 1. Got stuck into the first race, backing three against the field - Sweet Lightning, Royal Destination and William Blake. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Sweet Lightning was again an unlucky loser, he is obviously well treated but clearly needs everything to drop right. Royal Destination ran a fine race in 3rd under Dale Gibson. You have to think a stronger jockey may have made the half length difference needed. Again William Blake ran well in defeat. Precision Break is a horse I enjoyed much success with last season and I thought he ran very well on seasonal debut back in May. Although I was worried about the (almost three month) lay-off I thought he was big enough at 20/1 to back in the 4.35. He put in a stirling effort, coming from way off the pace to go down battling in a photo. He is unlikely to make the Ebor cut, which is a shame. Wellington Square travelled ok in the 5.10 but didn't really finish the race after being slightly short of room.
Missed it by 1 :wall First reserve.

Re: billy the punter's 2009 Diary Getting so far behind with this. Gonna have to do a bodge job to get it updated. No real commentaries will just list horses below that impressed me and are now on the list. Will try and do an update to the list too soon. 29th July A fantastic day for me personally, with a few horses flagged up in defeat recently, coming good - Xtension, Big Boom, Alsace Lorraine. Swingkeel - already on list, but even more so after this Alsace Lorraine Sabotage Cry Alot Boy 30th July Polemica 31st July Lovelace Acrostic - already on list 1st Aug Brave Prospector Invincible Isle Laaheb Resentful Angel Cardinal 2nd Aug Nothing new 3rd Aug Espy Triple Dream - already on list Prince Of Johanne Two Turtle Doves 4th Aug Saga De Tercey - already on list 5th Aug Dance The Star - already on list 6th Aug Mull Of Killough Twist Again - already on list Galletto Carbon Hoofprint - already on list 7th Aug Munsarim 8th Aug Whispering Gallery Eastern Hills Satwa Street 9th Aug Chandika Ingleby Lady - already on list 10th Aug Nothing new to report as such. Had my biggest bet of the year on Beauchamp Xerxes, he could be of interest now he has his head in front but as ever with this 100 horses it obviously depends on how he is campaigned. 11th Aug Prescription 12th Aug Militarist 13th Aug She's In The Money 14th Aug High Achieved Twist Again - already on list Off Chance - already on list Candy Rose Mayoman 15th Aug Apotheosis 16th Aug Triple Dream - already on list 17th Aug Cheers For Thea Prescription - already on list Penitent Fancy Footsteps - already on list Penolva Ok, this takes me up to York - normal service will be resumed now.

Hi Billy' date=' Slight concern over trip but [b']Tropical Paradise is strong in the 425salisbury. 10/1 still at Lads/coral. I appreciate their are a couple from the list in the race. Dave
Nice winner Dave. :clap This thread has taken a little bit of a back seat for a while. I'm so busy at the moment due to local poker festivals taking up my nights. Will be back on track with diary soon I hope. :ok

Re: billy the punter's 2009 Diary Hope your winning at poker Billy! As we enter the Autumn and you have been busy elsewhere I suggest when you get the thread going again you might wish to start with a quick cull of the list as this will save time in the weeks ahead. Might also be an idea to create a separate list for jumpers as I recall at the crossover of the two codes in the spring you had to weed out the jumpers when the flat got into full swing. At the end of the season the flat list could be spit into three groups- ones to note for next year on the turf, those to continue to consider for the wintwer AW and the remainder deleted. Hope the above doesn't sound complicated-I think it could simplify the tremendous amount of work you put in on the thread. Dave

Hope your winning at poker Billy! As we enter the Autumn and you have been busy elsewhere I suggest when you get the thread going again you might wish to start with a quick cull of the list as this will save time in the weeks ahead. Might also be an idea to create a separate list for jumpers as I recall at the crossover of the two codes in the spring you had to weed out the jumpers when the flat got into full swing. At the end of the season the flat list could be spit into three groups- ones to note for next year on the turf, those to continue to consider for the wintwer AW and the remainder deleted. Hope the above doesn't sound complicated-I think it could simplify the tremendous amount of work you put in on the thread. Dave
It's such a busy time for me at the moment, the flat season is still going strong yet it's such a big time for poker in London. Just a case of putting my head down and working hard. Poker will drop off in a couple of weeks, then in October the flat season will. Poker going ok, in front for the month but suffered some real poor luck when going for big prizes. Firstly the list needs a big update, there has been many muiltple winners since I last did an update. The list will start from scratch almost for next season and I will be working on how to work the list for next season. :ok

Re: billy the punter's 2009 Diary Hi Billy, Well done with yesterdays runners from the list, I backed Whipma to small stakes and took 10/1 early on Mayoman. However I didn't put a few bob on Half a Crown who in theory was 20lb wrong! One to consider for the future-I backed Dancing Queen 235gdwd at 13/2 at 8:30 this morning, went off 7/2 and I think she hit 3.1 in running. Travelled superbly but Frankie got blocked in. When he finally got clear she wouldnt accelerate and pulled her head to one side. I dont think it was greenness, more that she wouldnt let herself down on the good to firm having debued on good, good to soft in places. I will be looking for her nto on ground no better than good.Their will be others to take out of this race which no doubt you will pick up on in due course. dave

Hi Billy, Well done with yesterdays runners from the list, I backed Whipma to small stakes and took 10/1 early on Mayoman. However I didn't put a few bob on Half a Crown who in theory was 20lb wrong! One to consider for the future-I backed Dancing Queen 235gdwd at 13/2 at 8:30 this morning, went off 7/2 and I think she hit 3.1 in running. Travelled superbly but Frankie got blocked in. When he finally got clear she wouldnt accelerate and pulled her head to one side. I dont think it was greenness, more that she wouldnt let herself down on the good to firm having debued on good, good to soft in places. I will be looking for her nto on ground no better than good.Their will be others to take out of this race which no doubt you will pick up on in due course. dave
Cheers Fin/Dave Yes, a good day yesterday. Like yourself I didn't play on Half A Crown, as was worried about the weights. Just goes to show the difference between David Barker and his new trainer Michael Dods. Think the 2.35 will be a good race as I liked Zahoo in the race, that should win soon and knew winner was well regarded (something I didn't act on this morning). :ok

• 3 weeks later...

Re: billy the punter's 2009 Diary This thread has taken a back seat of late. I do apologise to any regular readers of it. Now is the time of year that I play poker alongside horse racing - now the night racing is over. This usually it gives me more time as I tend to play online poker and been seen as little more than a profitbale hobby to help things ticking over in the long winter months, however this year I've been playing more live poker (and plan to continue to) so as a result I'm getting very little free time. It's probably best to retire this thread for the time being. I won't have the time for regular updates and it will just end up being a case of poor round-ups every few weeks. Besides it really works best as an early/mid season thread anyway, being it pinpoints horses to follow for the near future. At this time of the season I'm not really looking to add to the list anyway, more a case of just picking off those that still apply that are already listed - if that makes sense. It's been an enjoyable thread, I'm pleased with the way it worked, I knew making a blind list was going to be tough but pleased it turned out profitable. There were certainly plenty of winners. Hope you enjoyed it. I may bring it back later in the year for the NH, and will certainly have a thread next year. :ok

Re: billy the punter's 2009 Diary Cheers for the update Bill, been interesting through the season but must admit it only really works if its current and obviously that takes up a lot of time which you dont have. I'm sure you have pointed the way for many members and hopefully you will continue to do so mate. Good luck with the Poker Bill!

Re: billy the punter's 2009 Diary Hi Billy, Thanks for a fantastic season-best of any thread/blog/site etc on the net. You have a rare gift in the ability to identify horses which are coming to hand and often progress throughout the season. Hope you have the time to take it up again for the NH, If not I look forward to next spring. May the the poker continue to be kind to you. Dave