** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Alexmac - JUMPS season bets...

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Alexmac - JUMPS season bets... Bet 49 - BALLYDUB - 2.45 Cheltenham Absolutely scooted up at Newbury last month in a decent looking race. Was hugely impressive that day, but seems to have only been raised 2llbs for that win. Receives nearly a stone from market rivals Tazbar and Big Bucks, and this progressive looking horse can follow up a decent second behind Punchestowns when last appearing at Cheltenham. Course form is always important here, and I think Ballydub may be very well treated here. 2pts win

Re: Alexmac - JUMPS season bets... Bet 50 - MIDNIGHT CHASE - 2.15 Fakenham Midnight Chase is taken to complete a quickfire hattrick here, in this small field. Last seen at Leicester on the 10th December, Midnight Chase proceeded to win with what lloked like a fair amount in hand. Has been put up 7llbs since his most recent win, but I do not think that will stop him from having the beating of these. The jockey claims back 5llbs from that rise, so infact, nearly negats the penalty altogether. 2pts win

Re: Alexmac - JUMPS season bets... Bets 51 and 52 - Folkestone - 12.30 MR BIG and SPANCHIL HILL 2 oy my horses to follow oppose each other day, in a modest looking race at Folkestone. Mr Big seemed a shade unlucky not to get his nose infront on Boxing Day, was travelling very well, and had just taken the lead when a small error cost him the race on the home straight. he has not been penalised, and he should be very much up with the pace today, and having a say in the finish. Likely to be favourite, but at around 3/1, seems like a fair price. Another horse who has also got to be given a chance is Spanchil Hill. Last race on December 16th saw him finishing 14 lenghts back in 3rd to National Petition, has been dropped another pound in the handicap, and this should help make life a little easier for him. A longer price is forecast at around the 7/1 mark. I am willing to give him another chance to show us what he is capable of. 2 x 2pts win

Re: Alexmac - JUMPS season bets... Bet 53 - Sandown 1.00 - CIRCUS ROSE Horse in the form of her life, having won last two outings. This represents a large step up in class, but the trainer appears to be bullish about bagging a race like this. The Racing Post wrote this after Circus Rose beat Tot of the Knar LTO:

The winner looked to have a bit to find with the favourite, but the step up in distance was always going to suit her, both on racing style and pedigree, and she saw it out really well. She is likely to continue down the novice route and her trainer's intention is to try and grab some black type with her in the spring, the mares' final at Newbury being the principal aim.
If she is progressive, then a race like this is within her grasp, and a likely starting price of 10/1 seems like it could be an excellent value bet. The favourite - United, does look very good however, but I do fancy Circus Rose's chance today. 2pts win

Re: Alexmac - JUMPS season bets... Bet 54 - Sandown 2.40 - SOMERSBY Great looking race this. Small, but select field with some very interesting types running. Clearly Dee ee Williams and Clay Hollister are very exciting looking prospects, but one of my horses to follow opposes them today, and I think SOMERSBY represents excellent value. Stepping up in class today, Somersby won very easily at Kempton LTO. Although he willnot be one of the principles in the market, I think the way in which he won last time seems to indicate there is alot more to come, and he may be underestimated today. 2pts win

Re: Alexmac - JUMPS season bets... Bet 53 - KNOCKARA BEAU - Kelso 2.40 First bet in a while, due to the weather we have all been experiencing. If they run at Kelso tomorrow, I expect Knockara Beau to run a big race. The ground seemed to be too soft last time out, when finishing 3rd of 11 at Kelso, behind the useful looking Merrydown. Tomorrow, Knockara Beau should have come on for the November run, and can stake a good claim in an ordinary looking race. Having already won at the track, and with usual jockey Jan Faltejsek back onboard, I think a big race is due. 2pts win

Re: Alexmac - JUMPS season bets... Below Zero and frosting up again after a couple of mildish nights up here ALEX :hope the meeting goes ahead but i wouldn't put money on it as 10% of the track was reportedly still frozen today .

Re: Alexmac - JUMPS season bets... Bets 53 and 54 - WETHERBY - 1.35 DOOR BOY and THE OLD PRETENDER Two of my list horses lock horns tomorrow, or at least they should do if they actually go racing.... :) Door Boy has been impressive for Howard Johnson so far this year. Last time out, at Ascot he was 5th in a really hot race, over an inadequate trip of 2 miles. Here, he steps up to a more suitable 2m4f, and steps way down in grade. He really should take all the beating here, and is likely to be the favourite. However, he may not have it quite all his own way. The Old Pretender is a decent horse in his own right. Last time out, at the start of December, The Old Pretender ran a nice race to finish 2nd on his hurdling debut after being installed as favourite. It took him a while to get going that day, and he ran green throughout - surely he will have come on stacks for the run, and be a more impressive runner here. ANother thing which goes in The Old Pretender's favour is the fact that he beat AWESOME GEORGE in that race, who has gone on to win a very decent race at Cheltenham on New Years Day. In my opinion, it would be a huge surprise if one of these 2 did not win this heat. My preference may well be for The Old Pretender at the tissue prices, but I am covering both as per the 'rules' of my thread. 2 x 2pts win

Re: Alexmac - JUMPS season bets...

Bets 53 and 54 - WETHERBY - 1.35 DOOR BOY and THE OLD PRETENDER Two of my list horses lock horns tomorrow, or at least they should do if they actually go racing.... :) Door Boy has been impressive for Howard Johnson so far this year. Last time out, at Ascot he was 5th in a really hot race, over an inadequate trip of 2 miles. Here, he steps up to a more suitable 2m4f, and steps way down in grade. He really should take all the beating here, and is likely to be the favourite. However, he may not have it quite all his own way. The Old Pretender is a decent horse in his own right. Last time out, at the start of December, The Old Pretender ran a nice race to finish 2nd on his hurdling debut after being installed as favourite. It took him a while to get going that day, and he ran green throughout - surely he will have come on stacks for the run, and be a more impressive runner here. ANother thing which goes in The Old Pretender's favour is the fact that he beat AWESOME GEORGE in that race, who has gone on to win a very decent race at Cheltenham on New Years Day. In my opinion, it would be a huge surprise if one of these 2 did not win this heat. My preference may well be for The Old Pretender at the tissue prices, but I am covering both as per the 'rules' of my thread. 2 x 2pts win
Exactly the same as me mate. I got my email alert with them both on it! I've plumped with The Old Pretender in my thread simply based on the prices available and that he could come on a lot from his season opener. Good Luck!

Re: Alexmac - JUMPS season bets... Bet 53 - Art Exhibition - Newbury 12.50 Last time out, at Wetherby he made the running, and was just headed coming to the last. Went off favourite that day, and I expect him to progress from that race. He still runs off 11 stone 5, but with the rest of the field carrying 10 stone 12 he will have to post a career best to get his nose infront here. 2pts win

Re: Alexmac - JUMPS season bets... Bets 54 and 55 - GREENBRIDGE AND PLANET OF SOUND - Newbury 1.20 Planet of Sound won a decent race at this track last time out, so Newbury clearly suits him. That day, he trotted up by 7 lengths, having led from as early as the 4th fence, and jumped fluently throughout. Has been quoted for the Arkle, and although that target may be somewhat ut of reach, this race is most definately within his grasp. The main danger may well come in the form of Greenbridge however. At Doncaster last time out he ran a decent race, in conditions that did not suit. With slightly better ground promised last time, he may well have more to offer. 2 x 2pts win

Re: Alexmac - JUMPS season bets... Bet 56 - COCKNEY TRUCKER - Newbury 1.55 Mad Max is clearly going to be all the rage, but even if Cockney Trucker was not on my list of horses to follow, I would be tempted to go with him at the prices. Mad Max will go off favourite, probably odds on, meaning that the price available for Cockney Trucker should be larger than expected. Last time out, Cockney Trucker won, apparently with plenty in hand, at Newbury, and a step up in class today should show us just how much potential he actually has. 2pts win

Re: Alexmac - JUMPS season bets... Bet 57 - ON RAGLAN ROAD - Newcastle 1.30 Did not meet expectations last time out at Sandown, coming home 2nd behind the ALan King trained Junior. Went into that race with a big reputation, and was somewhat disappointing. He did make one or two hurdling errors that day however, and the 2m4f trip did not suit. Tomorrow, at Newcastle the trip is 3m, which appears to be his optimum distance. Although the field is far larger, it appears to lack depth, and On Raglan Road could win this with plenty in hand if his jumping comes together. 2pts win

Re: Alexmac - JUMPS season bets... Bet 57 - Khyber Kim - Ludlow 1.40 Smart hurdler goes chasing for first time tomorrow, and with 9llbs in hand on official hurdles rating, this could prove to be a successful transition. Was not disgraced last time out, over hurdles behind Sentry Duty, but will need to be at the top of his game to take this one tomorrow. 2pts win

Re: Alexmac - JUMPS season bets... Bet 58 - ARGENTO LUNA - 1.40 Catterick This horse came to my attention after her last run at Huntingdon, finishing second behind Oldrik. That was her first attempt in handicap company, and after that decent run she appears to remain to be very well treated. Seems to be very much on the up, and she looks like one to follow over the next few races, starting tomorrow... 2pts win

Re: Alexmac - JUMPS season bets... Bet 59 - KING FONTAINE - Chepstow - 1.30 Still to win on the racecourse, but must only be a matter of time before that happens. Not seen since late November, when finishing a decent third on hurdling debut at this course behind the well fancied Bensalem. Apparently highly regarded at Ditcheat, he should not really have to be at the top of his game to win this very winnable looking heat. 2pts win

Re: Alexmac - JUMPS season bets... Yeah, it has been his long term target for a return to the racecourse.... But I have read a piece by Nicholls this week that says he wouldn't lose any sleep if Denman headed to The Festival without a prep run, so I am starting to question whether or not he will infact appear. The best race on that day is the big hurdle race by the way, should be a cracker. Belcantista is my ante-post fancy... More on that to come.