** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Coolers - lets discuss strategy

robilaruk

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy

are these things better value than standard sngs - i thought so originally the play was so poor but now i am not so sure - and you lose the chance to exploi t skill in the in the money phase and the rake feels high
I've made more money on these than I did playing standard SnG's so to me they're better value. However there is a lack of skill. There isn't a great chance to play proper poker and there is a set format that should see you successful even if you're not the best poker player at the lower levels. They're certainly not an exciting form of poker but very good for building a bank roll.

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy Only way to find out is in your numbers. I'm doing better in these (I think) than I do in STTs. A lower ROI here can be more profitable too as IMO they're far far easier to multitable. Have started reading the 2plus2 thread (110 pages - 2 minutes a page - that's nearly 4 hours to read the whole thread - doubt I'll manage it!!) - but from what I've read so far opinion seems to be there that you lose value playing these.

Only way to find out is in your numbers. I'm doing better in these (I think) than I do in STTs. A lower ROI here can be more profitable too as IMO they're far far easier to multitable. Have started reading the 2plus2 thread (110 pages - 2 minutes a page - that's nearly 4 hours to read the whole thread - doubt I'll manage it!!) - but from what I've read so far opinion seems to be there that you lose value playing these.
lots of 2+2 will be talking about pokerstars which i guess is tougher than sites banning americans ? though pokerstars have a very low rake on double or nothing don tourneys agree they are easier to multitable at start but not sure on the bubble - i think perhaps harder decisions there?

I would like to riase this to about 1k. that covers all the small stacks if they call but leaves you enough if the big stack goes over the top and you decide to fold. It would still leave you with more than enough to survuve and make the money.
I'm not sure you do have enough to make the money if you fold to the big stack shove - it only leaves you 1600 - similar amounts to the other shorties - and if they are AI on their BB and double up - you have to do the same. I would be tempted to m/r here and hope to get the BB HU - however I am guessing that regbull is likely to shove if he is that aggressive, so it is probably better to fold Damo

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy Hi everyone back again. I was thinking there about how slapdash said he was having trouble on pokerstars with the coolers, well maybe the players on pokerstars are better and know the strategy and also know you know the strategy so they will constantly raise with any 2 cards when blinds get bigger correctly of course using your knowledge against you. So i think a bit of deception can work for you like limping or raising a few times on the first level, its not goin to cost you a big percentage of your stack makes you look like a player who would call a big raise when its your blind with a decent hand, which could lead to more blinds being folded round to you which can be a nice injection of chips later on. Just an idea and would of course only work on opponents who pay attention

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy So whats my play here? I am comfortably beating them, raising 2 hands out of three and winning the blinds as they are all tight as a gnats knacker and folding waiting for someone else to make the 'mistake' and call. So do I give it up and keep doing what I am doing or call and hope to bust the bubble? Damo ***** Hand 1319534811 ***** 200.00/400.00 Texas Hold'em (No Limit ) - 13 November 2008 21:42:01 Cooler (Real /Tournament ) Seat 1: fulllhouse (2020.00) Seat 2: Unknown (0.00) Seat 3: Unknown (0.00) Seat 4: tabone (1190.00) Seat 5: Unknown (0.00) Seat 6: hoopy67 (1900.00) Seat 8: robilaruk (5770.00) Seat 7: Unknown (0.00) Seat 9: gamatos_5 (1130.00) Seat 10: anjena (2990.00) hoopy67 post SB 200.00 robilaruk post BB 400.00 ** Deal ** fulllhouse [N/A, N/A] tabone [N/A, N/A] hoopy67 [N/A, N/A] robilaruk [Jc, 8h] gamatos_5 [N/A, N/A] anjena [N/A, N/A] *** Bet Round 1 *** gamatos_5 All-in 1130.00 anjena Fold fulllhouse Fold tabone Fold hoopy67 Fold

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy I would call, its only 700 more chips and if you didn't win it would not hurt you at all. You could get the lost chips back in the next hand if you so desired.... But, the correct play should be to fold as detailed above......

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy I'd call. You can put him on a wide range of cards (next hand he commits over 33% of his stack to the blinds), so there's a chance you're not too far behind with J8. Another 700 chips will not affect whether you cash in this game or not - you're going to cash. However winning this hand finishes the game. I'm beginning to worry that anyone reading this thread will think the only way to play these games is to fold unless you have AA or KK and then, when you get short stacked, shove all in with any 2 cards. There is room to play poker in these games as well.

I'd call. You can put him on a wide range of cards (next hand he commits over 33% of his stack to the blinds), so there's a chance you're not too far behind with J8. Another 700 chips will not affect whether you cash in this game or not - you're going to cash. However winning this hand finishes the game. I'm beginning to worry that anyone reading this thread will think the only way to play these games is to fold unless you have AA or KK and then, when you get short stacked, shove all in with any 2 cards. There is room to play poker in these games as well.
Not sure there is in the turbos

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy The minimum raise from 100/200 onwards. Have noticed that lots of folks are employing this at the 5.5 and 11's when blinds are 100/200 + - they often have about 2K in chips with the blinds having similar amounts. Does anyone here play this tactic? if so what range of cards would you raise this with? Would be interested to hear what folks think of the min raise at those blind levels and card ranges employed (assume the raiser is generally proficient at this level). Cheers Damo

The minimum raise from 100/200 onwards. Have noticed that lots of folks are employing this at the 5.5 and 11's when blinds are 100/200 + - they often have about 2K in chips with the blinds having similar amounts. Does anyone here play this tactic? if so what range of cards would you raise this with? Would be interested to hear what folks think of the min raise at those blind levels and card ranges employed (assume the raiser is generally proficient at this level). Cheers Damo
It's not a tactic I use myself although I'm more likely to do it with a monster than a marginal hand. The critical aspects are going to be position, stack sizes and reads on players.

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy I was just playing with Staffy and was involved in this hand: ***** Hand 1320783965 ***** 150.00/300.00 Texas Hold'em (No Limit ) - 14 November 2008 19:45:27 Cooler (Real /Tournament ) Seat 1: BOURNE7788 (1030.00) Seat 2: Unknown (0.00) Seat 3: giggs72 (3920.00) Seat 4: Unknown (0.00) Seat 5: PL-Aldric (1805.00) Seat 6: Unknown (0.00) Seat 7: yoann59520 (2870.00) Seat 8: Simordab (1130.00) Seat 9: pepinok (1710.00) Seat 10: staffydog (2535.00) yoann59520 post SB 150.00 Simordab post BB 300.00 ** Deal ** BOURNE7788 [N/A, N/A] giggs72 [N/A, N/A] PL-Aldric [Ks, As] yoann59520 [N/A, N/A] Simordab [N/A, N/A] pepinok [N/A, N/A] staffydog [N/A, N/A] *** Bet Round 1 *** pepinok Fold staffydog All-in 2535.00 BOURNE7788 Fold giggs72 Fold PL-Aldric Fold yoann59520 Fold Simordab Fold *** Showdown *** : Rake: 0.00 Total Pot: 750.00 BOURNE7788 Fold Win: 0.00 giggs72 Fold Win: 0.00 PL-Aldric Fold Win: 0.00 yoann59520 Fold Win: 0.00 Simordab Fold Win: 0.00 pepinok Fold Win: 0.00 staffydog By default Win: 750.00 ----- I was planning to go all in until staffy went all in before me... As soon as he did that I didn't feel that I needed to get involved as I wasn't in any danger of going. What would you put staffy on? I would have thought AA or KK.... He won the blinds and showed 1010. I said I wouldn't have made that play as he risked going out when he was in a strong position and could almost fold to the money. How would you have played Staffy's 1010 or my AKs?

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy played these on Stars and boss now. I am more profitable on Stars than I am on Boss. Infact on Boss I am down enough to be pissed off. the big thing for me at the moment is the anti's. When your winning a pot on stars your winning a nice amount on stars thats what I am not used to on Boss. It seems I have to work twice as hard to get some chips. on stars if you have the chips it seems you can bully easier.

And loads of collosion on Boss amazes me. Am i just bitter and twisted lol.
Do you mean the "everybody check" and "call" comments in chat? That's wrong and annoying, but I doubt it makes a lot of difference. I think going all-in and announcing your hand is a bigger problem. On the €50 tables there's been a lot less of both recently, for some reason. I do like PokerStars' policy of blocking chat when it's down to seven players. Or have you noticed players engaging in premeditated collusion? I'm sure it must happen, and would be particularly effective in this game, I think. In fact, you know what would be fun? Team Coolers. Two teams of five; no communication between teammates allowed during play, but apart from that, anything goes.

I think going all-in and announcing your hand is a bigger problem.
I confess I've started doing that. Yes it is wrong - but if others are doing it and the network is doing nothing to clamp down on it (as they appear not to be) then you have to do it or lose equity to those who are doing it - I think getting others to fold to your aces is a big help when the blinds are big. I believe this tactic makes a big difference. I've noticed an increase in people lately saying what they have, then blatently not having it - so maybe that will decrease the effectiveness of it (though when I "declare" I always show)

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy Lots of calling chat etc but also just had a prob with 2 french guys blatently cheating. 1 folding his BB to an all in from the other when he needed to call 165 extra when he already put 400 in. Even now I just cant seem to beat the game playing $3 games and in 37 games only cashed in 18 and I think that is aweful. I question wether I am the poor player now and thats a problem its a massive confidence thing.

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy I reported two players last week (both LPPL players) - on the bubble - one massive stack, the other with a miniscule stack - big stack UTG limps for 400 (small stack has about 430) - because big stack is in the hand, noone else can join - they check it down to the river, on the river small stack checks and bigstack folds - in isolation that hand is pretty hard to defend - but they'd been working together as blatently throughout...... The problem is that Boss dont give any feedback - my assumption is that they haven't dealt with it and haven't done anything - but who knows, maybe they have :unsure EDIT: BTW I cashed comfortably - so it didnt impact me and wasnt why I reported it. The cheats both cashed too though :(