Announcements
** November Poker League Result : 1st Danshot, 2nd Rivrd, 3rd Elliott Sutcliffe **
** October Naps Competition Result: 1st internetmails, 2nd Donnyflyer, 3rd vangovin, 4th Peter York. KO Cup Winner mickyftm32. Most Winners waggy: **

Coolers - lets discuss strategy

robilaruk

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy I am finding a problem every time I play the 10€ games. Typically in the 3€ and 5€ games when BB is 200 there will only be 6/7 left and I'm doing fine in these using ultra tight strategy. The 10€ are often holding 8 players still when the blinds move up to 400...making it more difficult to ''win'' without making some kind of aggressive move. Anyway will post up my current standing from this week's ''SitOut'' games:

3 € 5 € 10 € Totals
Played 9 34 10 53
Won 7 24 4 35
ITM 78% 71% 40% 66%
Stake 29.7 187 110 326.7
Return 42 240 80 362
P/L 12.3 53 -30 35.3
ROI 41% 28% -27% 11%
So currently doing well on the lower stakes, but losing money on the bigger one...will post again if I can get all ROIs +ve. :eyes

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy Pretty good going there dodger :ok Maybe just stick to the lower levels and play more tables? Just started playing some of these today and they take a bit of getting used to!! What would you all have done in this situation? I didn't need to go all-in at when I did and folding QQ would take a bit of getting used to but in theory I should probably have let them go? There also seemed to be a whole load of French people left who were playing strangely! ***** Hand 1299849340 ***** 150.00/300.00 Texas Hold'em (No Limit ) - 31 October 2008 12:00:20 Cooler (Real /Tournament ) Seat 1: PL-Aldric (1470.00) Seat 2: Unknown (0.00) Seat 3: Unknown (0.00) Seat 4: OnurAvaz (4425.00) Seat 5: UNIJACK (2993.00) Seat 6: Unknown (0.00) Seat 7: djampi (2053.00) Seat 8: Unknown (0.00) Seat 9: beni8383 (2534.00) Seat 10: Auloni (1525.00) UNIJACK post SB 150.00 djampi post BB 300.00 ** Deal ** PL-Aldric [Qs, Qc] OnurAvaz [N/A, N/A] UNIJACK [N/A, N/A] djampi [N/A, N/A] beni8383 [N/A, N/A] Auloni [N/A, N/A] *** Bet Round 1 *** beni8383 Fold Auloni All-in 1525.00 PL-Aldric All-in 1470.00 OnurAvaz Fold UNIJACK Call 1525.00 djampi Call 1525.00 *** Flop(Board): *** : [Qh, 9s, Jc] *** Bet Round 2 *** UNIJACK All-in 1468.00 djampi All-in 528.00 *** Turn(Board): *** : [Qh, 9s, Jc, 4s] *** River(Board): *** : [Qh, 9s, Jc, 4s, 6c] *** Showdown *** : Rake: 0.00 Total Pot: 7101.00 PL-Aldric [Qs, Qc] Three of a kind, queens Win: 5880.00 OnurAvaz Fold Win: 0.00 UNIJACK [As, Qd] Pair of queens Win: 1056.00 djampi [9h, 8s] Pair of nines Win: 0.00 beni8383 Fold Win: 0.00 Auloni [Kd, Kh] Pair of kings Win: 165.00

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy

Pretty good going there dodger :ok What would you all have done in this situation? I didn't need to go all-in at when I did and folding QQ would take a bit of getting used to but in theory I should probably have let them go?
easy call for me - you are next to act after the first shove have QQ and only 5BB left Damo

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy I thought this was a really interesting spot in a €20 Cooler I just played What would you do?

***** Hand 1300618888 ***** 50.00/100.00 Texas Hold'em (No Limit ) - 31 October 2008 21:33:02 Cooler (Real /Tournament ) Seat 1: KRPB (3220.00) Seat 2: plSamba (1410.00) Seat 3: jhagniel (1390.00) Seat 4: Unknown (0.00) Seat 5: Atozuma (3240.00) Seat 6: Unknown (0.00) Seat 7: 1-Bülent-1 (2825.00) Seat 8: Sirenia2 (1105.00) Seat 9: MD28 (1295.00) Seat 10: IsladeIf (515.00) KRPB post SB 50.00 plSamba post BB 100.00 ** Deal ** KRPB [N/A, N/A] plSamba [9c, 6d] jhagniel [N/A, N/A] Atozuma [N/A, N/A] 1-Bülent-1 [N/A, N/A] Sirenia2 [N/A, N/A] MD28 [N/A, N/A] IsladeIf [N/A, N/A] *** Bet Round 1 *** jhagniel Call 100.00 Atozuma Call 100.00 1-Bülent-1 Fold Sirenia2 Call 100.00 MD28 Fold IsladeIf Fold KRPB Call 100.00 plSamba Check *** Flop(Board): *** : [6h, 6s, 7d] *** Bet Round 2 *** KRPB Check plSamba Check jhagniel Check Atozuma Check Sirenia2 Check *** Turn(Board): *** : [6h, 6s, 7d, Ks] *** Bet Round 3 *** KRPB Check plSamba Check jhagniel All-in 1290.00 Atozuma Fold Sirenia2 All-in 1005.00 KRPB Fold plSamba.........

I am finding a problem every time I play the 10€ games. Typically in the 3€ and 5€ games when BB is 200 there will only be 6/7 left and I'm doing fine in these using ultra tight strategy. The 10€ are often holding 8 players still when the blinds move up to 400...making it more difficult to ''win'' without making some kind of aggressive move.
I feel I'm struggling tonight in the €10 games too - I've definitely been crushing €3 and €5 but my roll has only really tonight reached enough for me to give €10 a serious bash - I think I'll be back on €5 soon :sad (I dont make any decisions where to play, it's totally bankroll driven) My records arent nearly as good as your though :loon :sad I was thinking of writing a script to give me those kind of stats, from the Hand History, but the Hand History files dont give the buy in :wall :wall :wall

I thought this was a really interesting spot in a €20 Cooler I just played What would you do?
Personally I would have gone all in on the flop...... Probably not the right strategy in coolers but its what I would have done.

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy Who played this worse, me or the caller? I clearly didn't need to get involved utg with 25/50 blinds. ***** Hand 1301270846 ***** 25.00/50.00 Texas Hold'em (No Limit ) - 01 November 2008 12:24:42 Cooler (Real /Tournament ) Seat 1: peraseb (640.00) Seat 2: tsarlis (5240.00) Seat 3: Bolika (1455.00) Seat 4: yucadavid (2115.00) Seat 5: Unknown (0.00) Seat 6: FIGHTER2 (1170.00) Seat 8: PL-Aldric (1425.00) Seat 7: dragon09 (1455.00) Seat 9: Unknown (0.00) Seat 10: winter90 (1500.00) FIGHTER2 post SB 25.00 dragon09 post BB 50.00 ** Deal ** peraseb [N/A, N/A] tsarlis [N/A, N/A] Bolika [N/A, N/A] yucadavid [N/A, N/A] FIGHTER2 [N/A, N/A] PL-Aldric [Jh, Jd] dragon09 [N/A, N/A] winter90 [N/A, N/A] *** Bet Round 1 *** PL-Aldric All-in 1425.00 winter90 Call 1425.00 peraseb Fold tsarlis Fold Bolika Fold yucadavid Fold FIGHTER2 Fold dragon09 Fold *** Flop(Board): *** : [2h, Kc, 7c] *** Turn(Board): *** : [2h, Kc, 7c, Js] *** River(Board): *** : [2h, Kc, 7c, Js, Qc] *** Showdown *** : Rake: 0.00 Total Pot: 2925.00 peraseb Fold Win: 0.00 tsarlis Fold Win: 0.00 Bolika Fold Win: 0.00 yucadavid Fold Win: 0.00 FIGHTER2 Fold Win: 0.00 PL-Aldric [Jh, Jd] Three of a kind, jacks Win: 0.00 dragon09 Fold Win: 0.00 For some reason it doesnt show but Winter90 called with A10 giving him a straight.

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy I think the shove is crazy - what do you want? Do you want everyone to fold and to win 75 chips? Or do you want worse hands, like AT to call to give you the chance to double up? I'm not sure shoving, UTG, 1425 chips to win 75 chips can ever be right :unsure The "risk to reward" ratio is all wrong....

I think the shove is crazy - what do you want? Do you want everyone to fold and to win 75 chips? Or do you want worse hands' date=' like AT to call to give you the chance to double up? I'm not sure shoving, UTG, 1425 chips to win 75 chips can ever be right :unsure The "risk to reward" ratio is all wrong....[/quote'] I won't disagree at all, I think all this patience, patience, patience went to my head and I went on tilt!! However, was the shove or call worse? I would say the call was definately worse. I have definately been more aggressive in the last 5 or so of these and it has shown in the results as I am losing a lot more.

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy I find the call unquestionably worse than the shove, however think you are seeking false comfort there :unsure "Worse" is a comparative - His call makes me think that he could be the 8th best player in the STT. Your shove makes me think (on the crazy sample of 1 hand) that you could be the 7th best player at the table. The 6 players who folded all showed themselves to be superior to you both in this hand! So you have played "better" than the guy who called, but worse than the other 6 players. You are likely to be unprofitable playing like that! Sorry - not trying to be mean or horrid - but not saying it how it is helps no-one - least of all you - I more than welcome equally frank feedback on my play (it's the best way for me to improve!)

No problem at all, I never doubted it was a bad play.. :ok So, what would you have done with JJ UTG and blinds 25/50? Do you ever do 4x bb raises etc in coolers? I have only shove or fold, no in-between.
I'm not sure it's optimal strategy (in fact, it probably isn't) but I fold anything except AA and KK from early position in the early stages. When I did try playing other hands, I almost always seemed to get some action and ended up folding later on in the hand.

No problem at all, I never doubted it was a bad play.. :ok So, what would you have done with JJ UTG and blinds 25/50? Do you ever do 4x bb raises etc in coolers? I have only shove or fold, no in-between.
Limp. If it gets raised, ditch them. If there's no jack on the flop, ditch them. If you hit a set, start playing poker.

Limp. If it gets raised' date=' ditch them. If there's no jack on the flop, ditch them. If you hit a set, start playing poker.[/quote'] That's certainly not a terrible way to play them, as you're only investing 50 chips unless you hit a jack. But on the other hand, you probably won't hit a jack on the flop, it's quite likely you'll face a preflop raise (though, having said that, when I've experimented with limping pocket aces from early position, I usually seem to attract a string of overlimpers and have to fold on a threatening flop :$), and your implied odds are worse than in "proper poker", as you're less likely to get paid off if you do hit a jack.

That's certainly not a terrible way to play them' date=' as you're only investing 50 chips unless you hit a jack. But on the other hand, you probably won't hit a jack on the flop, it's quite likely you'll face a preflop raise (though, having said that, when I've experimented with limping pocket aces from early position, I usually seem to attract a string of overlimpers and have to fold on a threatening flop :$), and your implied odds are worse than in "proper poker", as you're less likely to get paid off if you do hit a jack.[/quote'] It obviously depends on the entry fee and the table make-up, but when playing the $5's on Stars, you rarely see too many pre-flop raises when someone's limped in. (Or I do, at least). I agree you'll obviously rarely hit a jack on the flop, but there's very rarely a need to get involved before the 50/100 level anyway, so losing 50 chips wouldn't particularly bother me.

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy Well I've messed this up well and proper! Continued to take a stuffing on the 10€. Drew some out to transfer to the new PL tournament on Tony G. Then drew some more out to cover the Betfred pokerPlayer games and to try the pokerstars omaha coolers too. Then I realise the Betfred games are all bloody freerolls...oh well. Anyway left 40€ in so should be enough...until I donked it all away in a disastrous three hour session Saturday morning.:eyes So spent yesterday analysing my defeats and soon realised that I was losing quite a good % with hands that should not have been played.:@ AK vs JQ...lost to straight. Play was correct. AA vs TT ...lost to straight. Play was technically incorrect as TT had raised all-in so strictly I should fold. However my two variations from Ultra Tight are that I will play AA under all circumstances (except the bubble with two already all-in) and I'll usually play KK vs one all-in. TT vs JK ...lost to pair Jacks. Play was correct. QQ vs K8...lost to pair kings. Play was correct. JJ vs QQ...oh fck! Bad move...very silly play with two big stacks following me I should have been autofolding and letting them do the work.:@ 55 vs QQ...naughty boy! Early position and I still do not know why the hell I moved all-in with an extremely dodgy hand.:@ Then the last one I played poker...DOH!!!...damn it...and thought the big stack was absolutely bullying when he wasn't!...and that after giving Jaded stick for playing poker in these games!:$ So that was at least 3 out of 8 losing games which were quite simply my bad mistakes. Have logged my table on my Blog as October Stats...ending with a 2% over all ROI. :\ Left with 2.42€ to cover 1st PL game...but today PL came to the rescue :cow:cowand I got my 20€ for last month's 4th finish. So I am making a fresh start with a November Cooler table (I know Saturday was November but I've included that in last months to give me a psychological boost of a clear 10€ column) and a fresh determination to avoid making silly mistakes. {PS...At the moment I don't worry about bankroll management...it's hard to when your bankroll of ''not a lot'' gets spread around a dozen sites or so! One of these days I'll start taking this game seriously.} :ok

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy Early in a €5 Cooler - did I put too many chips in this pot? (PS Sorry aldric if I'm not too talkative - got 6 tables going) ***** Hand 1303491185 ***** 15.00/30.00 Texas Hold'em (No Limit ) - 02 November 2008 21:34:02 Cooler (Real /Tournament ) Seat 1: pokerguru5 (1463.00) Seat 2: waamix2 (1740.00) Seat 3: jkarel (1245.00) Seat 4: JPJESP (1133.00) Seat 5: Griff49 (1470.00) Seat 6: pl---GaF (1500.00) Seat 7: jozy69 (1949.00) Seat 8: sousling42 (1500.00) Seat 9: MadGom (1500.00) Seat 10: PL-Aldric (1500.00) Griff49 post SB 15.00 pl---GaF post BB 30.00 ** Deal ** pokerguru5 [N/A, N/A] waamix2 [N/A, N/A] jkarel [N/A, N/A] JPJESP [N/A, N/A] Griff49 [N/A, N/A] pl---GaF [:As:, :Js:] jozy69 [N/A, N/A] sousling42 [N/A, N/A] MadGom [N/A, N/A] PL-Aldric [N/A, N/A] *** Bet Round 1 *** jozy69 Call 30.00 sousling42 Fold MadGom Fold PL-Aldric Fold pokerguru5 Fold waamix2 Fold jkarel Fold JPJESP Call 30.00 Griff49 Call 30.00 pl---GaF Check *** Flop(Board): *** : [:4h:, :Jd:, :9h:] *** Bet Round 2 *** Griff49 Bet 30.00 pl---GaF Call 30.00 jozy69 Raise to 150.00 JPJESP Fold Griff49 Call 150.00 pl---GaF Call 150.00 *** Turn(Board): *** : [4h, Jd, 9h, :7s:] *** Bet Round 3 *** Griff49 Bet 30.00 pl---GaF Call 30.00 jozy69 Call 30.00 *** River(Board): *** : [4h, Jd, 9h, 7s, :Qc:] *** Bet Round 4 *** Griff49 Bet 30.00 pl---GaF Call 30.00 jozy69 Raise to 120.00 Griff49 Call 120.00 pl---GaF Fold

Early in a €5 Cooler - did I put too many chips in this pot? (PS Sorry aldric if I'm not too talkative - got 6 tables going)
No problem at all :ok I remember that hand, I actually thought you were flush chasing! Did you need to get involved at all?? I still prefer either raising a LOT pre-flop or folding... limping in just gets you in to trouble. Looking at my results and some of my plays i'm definately not an expert lol

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy aldric - I was the big blind - I didn't put anything in pre flop - then flopped TPTK. JJ - I quite liked my hand, but not enough to want to build a pot - the reason I called and didnt raise was to try and control the pot size :unsure Of course the disadvantage of that is giving free cards away..... If I hadn't been in the BB, I'd have just folded and not got involved at all, but when you are in the BB and hit the flop that well, with no pre flop aggressors, it's difficult not to get sucked in :unsure

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy Looking at it again - the only time I could have folded was the raise to 150 post flop (having already called the bet of 30) - all the other bets were for 30 chips - I would never have folded to a bet that size.

Re: Coolers - lets discuss strategy I really don't feel comfortable playing hands early on. It's probably just that I don't know how I should be playing them, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were the case that when two players get involved in a hand early on (in a Boss cooler), it's usually -EV for both of them in terms of tournament equity, unless one of them has the nuts or close to it. It often seems to come down to the winner being the one who least understands how wrong it is to risk a lot of chips on a marginal edge. Strangely, I feel a lot more comfortable doing it playing level 4 Rounders, where the players in general understand the structure a lot better, because I feel more confident that they'll fold when they "ought" to.