** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

.5c/.10c Cash Hand (10 handed)

Punto Banco

Here is the hand in question thoughts and comments would be great... I will write a para below... ***** Hand 1270482769 ***** 0.05/0.10 Texas Hold'em (No Limit) - Friday, 10 October 2008 5:36:48 AM Table TH 196 (Real/Cash Game) Seat 1: cal322 (10.00) Seat 2: UrMoneyPlz (10.24) Seat 3: fifa1 (8.20) Seat 4: romeocanta (2.04) Seat 5: AliBreaker (3.90) Seat 6: RayPenber (13.22) Seat 7: sleve_ (9.05) Seat 8: consumista (5.00) Seat 9: friderika (14.31) Seat 10: Timo's (6.35) AliBreaker post SB 0.05 RayPenber post BB 0.10 consumista post BB 0.10 ** Deal ** cal322 [N/A, N/A] UrMoneyPlz [N/A, N/A] fifa1 [N/A, N/A] romeocanta [N/A, N/A] AliBreaker [N/A, N/A] RayPenber [Ac, 9h] sleve_ [N/A, N/A] consumista [N/A, N/A] friderika [N/A, N/A] Timo's [N/A, N/A] *** Bet Round 1 *** sleve_ Fold consumista Raise to 0.20 friderika Fold Timo's Fold cal322 Fold UrMoneyPlz Call 0.20 fifa1 Fold romeocanta Fold AliBreaker Call 0.20 RayPenber Call 0.20 *** Flop(Board): *** : [Ad, 4d, 2h] *** Bet Round 2 *** AliBreaker Check RayPenber Check consumista Bet 0.10 UrMoneyPlz Fold AliBreaker Raise to 0.60 RayPenber Call 0.60 consumista Call 0.60 *** Turn(Board): *** : [Ad, 4d, 2h, 7s] *** Bet Round 3 *** AliBreaker Check RayPenber Check consumista Check *** River(Board): *** : [Ad, 4d, 2h, 7s, 10d] *** Bet Round 4 *** AliBreaker Check RayPenber Bet 1.00 consumista Fold AliBreaker Call 1.00 *** Showdown *** : Rake: 0.23 Total Pot: 4.37 Firstly let me say for the most part of this hand I felt I was ahead but of course in this situation I was content to keep the pot as small as possible and play out the hand. Completing the bb here Is pretty standard I generally don't rate raises like his for Early pos as strong... actually preflop particularly on the Button or Cutoff I would re-raise here perhaps 50% of the time depending on the player. Cons range here is quite wide however QJs seems about right... I am fairly sure he missed... with the weak bet I am 100%. Ali's check raise is interesting but mostly I figure he has seen the same as me and decides he wants the pot. Ali's call suprises me. the 7 does nothing and while the flush draw is out there with the pot this small I am not phased (I am a fan of check calling a tp like this and representing flush if it happens to hit on river). So it did Ali checking means he didn't have it so I followed through with my plan betting aprox 1/2 the pot... Ali calls and thats it... any thoughts? or different ideas on how to play a situation like this?

Re: .5c/.10c Cash Hand (10 handed) I know it's small stakes and that but personally I hate the call pre flop with a9 when out of position you hit that ace and he could have a better kicker just gets you in to much trouble playing weak aces out of position.

Re: .5c/.10c Cash Hand (10 handed) The first thing i notice is the two people you're in the hand after the flop with have small stacks. Making the play a standard reraise on the flop to put them both all in IMO because it's just more likely for them to have flush and straight draws then more than 1 pair on that flop. And so more often then not the shortstack will call and lose with their draw. Preflop's OK, you're getting like 5/6:1 to see a flop with an A but it's always best to be cautious OOP. I do think you get most value from putting them AI on the flop, and maybe turn.

Re: .5c/.10c Cash Hand (10 handed)

The first thing i notice is the two people you're in the hand after the flop with have small stacks. Making the play a standard reraise on the flop to put them both all in IMO because it's just more likely for them to have flush and straight draws then more than 1 pair on that flop. And so more often then not the shortstack will call and lose with their draw. Preflop's OK, you're getting like 5/6:1 to see a flop with an A but it's always best to be cautious OOP. I do think you get most value from putting them AI on the flop, and maybe turn.
Very nice point nade... not much of a NL cash player... really learning the ropes as I go... that is a nice point... Note to self: "When you think your ahead on flop with 2 shorter stacks push for value... flush/ straight draw calling is a good thing" ... thanks...:ok

I know it's small stakes and that but personally I hate the call pre flop with a9 when out of position you hit that ace and he could have a better kicker just gets you in to much trouble playing weak aces out of position.
I think its important to say that there is no issue with playing these sort of hands if you have a plan for the rest of the hand [i.e. what are you going to do on an A/9 high flop]

I think its important to say that there is no issue with playing these sort of hands if you have a plan for the rest of the hand [i.e. what are you going to do on an A/9 high flop]
Mate to me this comes down to basics of small hand small pot, big hand big pot... bar a miracle flops of 99A, AA9, AAx, 99x, this is not going to be a big hand and therefore I would 99% play it as such (unless I knew my opponent well enough to make a very tight range for their hand)... the reason why I was intent on check calling is to keep the pot as small as possible with full intent of getting rid of it necessary, i truly feel this is 100% a valid way to play the hand and in reality i have no qualms with how the hand unfolded however I have to consider Nade's points and say well that definately makes sense as a better way to play the hand... with a hand like A9o for me these days will 99% have the same plan...:ok

Re: .5c/.10c Cash Hand (10 handed) I don't necessarily agree with the notion of 'small hand small pot' just because i've found the beautiful art of value betting very thinly! It's quality the amount of extra bets you can eek out even when a 'scare card' comes, but it's very opponent and read based. Generally though small hand small pot is a sound enough strategy.

I don't necessarily agree with the notion of 'small hand small pot' just because i've found the beautiful art of value betting very thinly! It's quality the amount of extra bets you can eek out even when a 'scare card' comes' date=' but it's very opponent and read based. Generally though small hand small pot is a sound enough strategy.[/quote'] The main point that effects the hand here is that it is 3 handed with two players that have quite wide ranges.... HU against the raiser I feel I would be happy to value bet all the way home...:ok