** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

UEFA Cup - ( 30-02 10 2009 )

Bagzi

Re: UEFA Cup - ( 30-02 10 2009 ) My picks for Thursday: Benfica-Napoli Napoli started the season very well in Italy and won the 1st leg 3-2 but Benfica made some unusual defensive mistakes in that game and the ref was home biased bit time (not sending off the Napoli defender for a hard tackle on Suazo, that still keeps him from playing for another couple of weeks, and for not calling a clear penalty against Napoli). Under normal circunstances that would have been different and Benfica is superior in terms of quality and experience. Napoli's star striker Lavezzi is doubtful for the game but I think they're bluffing and that he'll play. Italians also say they'll play attacking football but I've never seen an Italian team with an advantage play nothing but tight defense and even the fact that Napoli uses a 3-5-2 system makes me believe otherwise. They will pack their defense (at least for as long as the result is good for them), look for set pieces and counter attacks and delay the game for as long as they can. Benfica will miss strikers Cardozo (suspended) and Suazo (injured) but that represents a chance for wonder kid Di Maria to step up and show the same consistency playing for Benfica that he has when playing for Argentina. Benfica seemed secure at the back against Sporting and Brazilian International Centre Back Luisão returns to the team after a 2 game ban in the Superliga. Winger Reys is also in great shape with 2 goals in Benfica's last 2 games. With more or less difficulty I do expect Benfica to win. My pick: Benfica -0.5AH (2.21); Kalmar-Feyenoord Kalmar won the 1st leg 1-0 and have a 4-2-0 record in their last 6 home games. Feyenoord is having a terrible season so far and have 6 losses in their last 6 away games. On top of that, two of their best players (striker Jon D. Tommasson and Dutch INternational keeper Henk Timmer) will not play today. My pick: Kalmar -0.25AH (1.88); Guimarães-Portsmouth Guimarães lost the 1st leg in England 2-0 and they say they still dream about making it into the group stage. Well, in order to do that they have to "go all in" and score a lot...and plenty of things can happen in a situation like this. Portsmouth has 5 overs in their last 6 away games, both teams look far from impressive at the back and I think we'll see some goals tonight. My pick: >2,25 (2.06); Heerenven-Setúbal I must say the Dutch were a big disapointment in the 1st leg where Setúbal completly outplayed them and only got a 1-1 draw (last minute goal by Heerenveen). When they met a couple of years ago Setúbal tied in Holland 0-0, Heerenveen has less quality now and I see Setúbal, who are 2-3-1 in their last 6 games overall, getting a result here. My pick: Setúbal +0.75AH (2.05); Rapid Bucaresti-Wolfsburg Rapid's Portuguese coach José Peseiro is under pressure from the fans and the board after 2 straight home losses in the Romanian league and a horrible 1-1-4 record in their last 6 games overall. He's a good coach when it comes to tactics but he cannot handle pressure and situations like this when things don't go well (I've seen this a few times before). Wolfsburg are in good shape in Germany and are 3-2-1 in both their last 6 away games and their last 6 games overall. I do expect Wolfsburg to add to Rapid's misery today. My pick: Wolfsburg PK (1.69); Good luck! JC

Re: UEFA Cup - ( 30-02 10 2009 ) Guimaraes v Portsmouth - Guimaraes Guimaraes impressed me in little stages when these two met at Fratton Park, Pompey take a 2-0 lead into the 2nd leg and Guimaraes will need to come out and actually play football tonight, When they did look to attack Portsmouth in the first leg they looked a decent side. Portsmouth haven't been in the best form, They beat Tottenham at the weekend but Tottenham themselves are playing badly. I think this is a decent price and will go for a punt on them to win the match. @ 2/1 Betfair

Re: UEFA Cup - ( 30-02 10 2009 ) Man City -1 to beat Omonia the best bet of the round imo, i found it available @1.65, but i didnt check a lot that price great for me, i will take it with max stakes as single i expect citizens to peform better than they did in nicosia, where they only spend 40% of their energy, robinho less, but even under those circunstances, they should beat omonia by 4-5 goals, they lost many clear chances, and hit the post at least 4 times!:lol robinho was a big zero though, with such performances,he will find him self sitting on rhe bench very soon, but i dont beleive in that scenario, i expect him to come back tonight, and to score couple of goals, hope coach to start him....:eyes good luck :notworthy 25-30k fans of city will attend the match, and 2k cypriots mostly students in uk, will support omonia cheers:hope

Re: UEFA Cup - ( 30-02 10 2009 ) Standard Liege v Everton Give me a British team vs Belgium team at the odds of 3.00 or more . And the choice is clear . The class of football is NOT the same . PS. i am not a fan of British football by far. Everton to win @ 3.50 betdaq Benfica vs Napoli . Napoli hadn't lost the game in "serie A" The team is young but experienced . Benfica is the one that has to open up .Napoli has the ability to hold them back and counter strike at any moment. The talent is there. Napoli straight win @ 3.90 betdaq FC Zurich v AC Milan. This is when Milan shines, when there is no pressure on them . Easy win ACM @ 1.92 betdaq . Really crazy price that doesn't make any sense . Keep it simple ! Don't try to complicate simple things. GL.

Re: UEFA Cup - ( 30-02 10 2009 )

Odds of 1.99 with Betfair also allow some trading opportunities and chance to lay off after half hour if the game is still 0-0. That way if Wisla do score and Spurs lay siege to Wisla's goal in the last half hour the bet can be safe by that point. Good luck all. :hope
:beer

Re: UEFA Cup - ( 30-02 10 2009 ) Saint-Étienne -Hapoel Tel Aviv 1 leg: 1-2 The stadium is sold out and the fans wants to triumph along side the players, and they should be motivated to score and win the game, even though it is not necessary. It have also to be mention that this is the first chance in 26 years for Saint Etienne to get into Uefa cup. Squad for the home team: 1 Jody VIVIANI 2 Cédric VARRAULT 4 Efstathios TAVLARIDIS 7 Dimitri PAYET 8 Araujo ILAN 9 David GIGLIOTTI 11 Geoffrey DERNIS 12 Blaise MATUIDI 13 Amine LINGANZI 16 Jérémie JANOT 17 Yohan HAUTCOEUR 18 Bafétimbi GOMIS 19 Christophe LANDRIN 21 Mouhamadou DABO 23 David SAUGET 24 Loïc PERRIN 25 Paulo MACHADO 28 Yohan BENALOUANE (www.uefa.com) Hapoel travel to France without Gili Vermout (importent player) A. Yadin and D. De Silva both suffer an sickness and they are doubtful for this game. The first Leg ended 2-1 Win for S.Etienne, and i think this match also could have some goals. S.Etienne only need draw to go trough next round, but their motivation, and a hapoel team who also can score goals, do i think the game would have over 2,5 goals. By Bet: Over 2,5 goals. 2.00. Pinnacle 4/10

Rosenborg - Brøndby After loosing 1-2 at home Brøndby has promised to attack today with all they got. And when knowing that the homesides defence has been somewhat rusty these days I can see the danes at least het a goal or two. This one is crucial for both teams wanting to stay in Europe and the teams will give what they got to get through. Rosenborg is in brilliant shape in their home league, notching four wins in the last six, and they have been especially good at home, playing creative footy and getting to chances every match. They have a full squad to pick from, only back-up goalie Lund Hansen is out injured. Another advantage the norwegians have is the knowledge from coach Hamren, who led Aalborg to the title in the danish league last season. The visitors will come to Lerkendal with an offensive attitude as mentioned. Squad-wise only striker Madsen is out, but there is replacements for him. An action filled match-up in scandinavia is expected today... Over 2.5/3, 1.95 @sbobet 4/10
Ended 3-2!:ok

Re: UEFA Cup - ( 30-02 10 2009 ) Taken a in running bet on PSG at 1.70, they won the first leg 2-1 away from home and should have too much class for the Turks, given the tight nature of the tie they can't take any chances and should go hard for the win.

I'm looking at backing standard leige heavily as Everton have started the season very poorly (don't take into consideration their 'good' away record as this was against the three promoted sides in the league). Standard conceded only their first home goal at the weekend but this was against their strongest rivals Anderlecht which they overcame 2-1. Their manager has came out and said this match is by far more important and he would throw away them points for a win tonight. They've won every home game and seem very strong. Watched them against Liverpool and they were VERY good, a very fit team always pressing Liverpool into mistakes with their only trouble being finishing. Everton went and bought their 'best' player after this match but he has been less than impressive so far and is cup tied tonight anyway. In the home match Standard were unlucky not to come away with a win which was again due to some poor finishing. Can see them having plenty of chances tonight as the Everton defence has been VERY poor as of late.
Couldn't believe it....seen them go down all day (hitting around 5/4) and i thought the value had been sucked out of them. Went into ladbrokes and their screens had 7/4...YES 7/4!!! Asked and they said that the Northern Ireland prices are different from the english prices (think it was 5/4 on their site). So had £50 on it making £137.50 returns :cow:cow:cow

SportFootball (Euro Cups)
EventStandard Liege vs Everton
SelectionStandard Liege
Strength10/10
Date02/10/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 2.50 (Back)
ReasoningEverton have not won in their last 4 and come up against a resilient side in Liege. They lost the Merseyside derby at the weekend and can only come into this game with poor confidence. Liege meanwhile beat their big rivals Anderlecht and have moved clear at the top of the Belgian league. They were unlucky to lose in the Champions League qualifier against Liverpool when they actually outplayed the Pool for most of the game before losing a late goal deep into extra time. Everton don't look at all strong at the back and away from home and 6/4 for a home win looks terrific value.
Thank you. Lovely price aswell. Well done to all winners. :clap:beer

My picks for Thursday: Benfica-Napoli Napoli started the season very well in Italy and won the 1st leg 3-2 but Benfica made some unusual defensive mistakes in that game and the ref was home biased bit time (not sending off the Napoli defender for a hard tackle on Suazo, that still keeps him from playing for another couple of weeks, and for not calling a clear penalty against Napoli). Under normal circunstances that would have been different and Benfica is superior in terms of quality and experience. Napoli's star striker Lavezzi is doubtful for the game but I think they're bluffing and that he'll play. Italians also say they'll play attacking football but I've never seen an Italian team with an advantage play nothing but tight defense and even the fact that Napoli uses a 3-5-2 system makes me believe otherwise. They will pack their defense (at least for as long as the result is good for them), look for set pieces and counter attacks and delay the game for as long as they can. Benfica will miss strikers Cardozo (suspended) and Suazo (injured) but that represents a chance for wonder kid Di Maria to step up and show the same consistency playing for Benfica that he has when playing for Argentina. Benfica seemed secure at the back against Sporting and Brazilian International Centre Back Luisão returns to the team after a 2 game ban in the Superliga. Winger Reys is also in great shape with 2 goals in Benfica's last 2 games. With more or less difficulty I do expect Benfica to win. My pick: Benfica -0.5AH (2.21); won (we all love it when every single detail goes as predicted :D...) Kalmar-Feyenoord Kalmar won the 1st leg 1-0 and have a 4-2-0 record in their last 6 home games. Feyenoord is having a terrible season so far and have 6 losses in their last 6 away games. On top of that, two of their best players (striker Jon D. Tommasson and Dutch INternational keeper Henk Timmer) will not play today. My pick: Kalmar -0.25AH (1.88); lost :gimme Guimarães-Portsmouth Guimarães lost the 1st leg in England 2-0 and they say they still dream about making it into the group stage. Well, in order to do that they have to "go all in" and score a lot...and plenty of things can happen in a situation like this. Portsmouth has 5 overs in their last 6 away games, both teams look far from impressive at the back and I think we'll see some goals tonight. My pick: >2,25 (2.06); Push&lost Heerenven-Setúbal I must say the Dutch were a big disapointment in the 1st leg where Setúbal completly outplayed them and only got a 1-1 draw (last minute goal by Heerenveen). When they met a couple of years ago Setúbal tied in Holland 0-0, Heerenveen has less quality now and I see Setúbal, who are 2-3-1 in their last 6 games overall, getting a result here. My pick: Setúbal +0.75AH (2.05); lost (Setúbal is much better than this and Heerenveen is notg nearly as good as the final result seems to suggest...Setúbal had a horrible first 30 minutes...) Rapid Bucaresti-Wolfsburg Rapid's Portuguese coach José Peseiro is under pressure from the fans and the board after 2 straight home losses in the Romanian league and a horrible 1-1-4 record in their last 6 games overall. He's a good coach when it comes to tactics but he cannot handle pressure and situations like this when things don't go well (I've seen this a few times before). Wolfsburg are in good shape in Germany and are 3-2-1 in both their last 6 away games and their last 6 games overall. I do expect Wolfsburg to add to Rapid's misery today. My pick: Wolfsburg PK (1.69); Push (Peseiro did get fired at the end of the game but Wolfsburg couldn't hold on to the early lead and tied 1-1 :wall...) Good luck! JC
Not a very good day but the fact that Benfica beat Napoli 2-0 (YES!!!! :nana:nana:nana:nana) made my day a great one! JC

As it has been many posts concerning the Liege - Everton match-up' date=' I am quite surprised that none have mentioned the possibillity for a many-goal game. Everton need to score, and have the quality to do it. If they do so, Liege has to go forward, and as mentioned, the Everton defence has not been trustworthy at all so far. In other word for me its value on the overs, and as I see it the price is not the worst, getting above 2.00 in the asian markets...[/quote'] Still surprised that the overs was not taken by you guys!:ok Well, I did, and it worked out pretty fine...

Guimaraes v Portsmouth - Guimaraes Guimaraes impressed me in little stages when these two met at Fratton Park, Pompey take a 2-0 lead into the 2nd leg and Guimaraes will need to come out and actually play football tonight, When they did look to attack Portsmouth in the first leg they looked a decent side. Portsmouth haven't been in the best form, They beat Tottenham at the weekend but Tottenham themselves are playing badly. I think this is a decent price and will go for a punt on them to win the match. @ 2/1 Betfair
Nice price. :ok

Re: UEFA Cup - ( 30-02 10 2009 ) hmmm frustrating round i must say! i did win something with +2.5 feyenoord and on another combo i cant remember right now after 12 hours of work :p :D then with that win i did put a pretty good stack on porthsmouth +2.5 goals! damned! 2-0 dont even know who won ... the odd wos 2.1 at my booker so it wos an interesting 'gamble' id di also put 2.5 goals on milan (bummer) and i said zurich to win :D but did not put something on it! odd wos too low for the chances! cheers!