AYR ~ Friday 19/09/08

SILVER CUP~AGAINST THE GRAIN 28/1 E/W Normally i back a couple in a big race like this but i just fancy this one and very strongly at that! Very lightly raced 5yo having its first run over 6f. As a 3yo trained by Mark Johnstone winning fto over 7f and looked like one to follow indeed wasn't beaten far nto in 3rd on ground that may have been to firm as it ran a bit poor on similar ground on its next run was then sent over a mile were it blew up 2f out. Didn't run as a 4yo . Came out in march this year for new trainer Len Lungo who may have jumps in mind for him and won 25/1 sp(i was on at bigger) again over 7f kicked clear a furlong out and just held on. Ran ok nto in a class2. His last run over a mile in July again he didn't see it out. Seems to need a break between races. Will be fresh and fit today and will run a big race for shrewd Len. Well thats what i think as i have been following it and really fancy it the fact its 6f doesn't but me off as its heavy ground.:hope

Re: AYR ~ Friday 19/09/08 I've been looking through the field for the Silver Cup and doing my usual deadwood cutting job. I've reluctantly narrowed it down to three and they are Bel Cantor, Harrison George and Against The Grain. Bel Cantor really has been in sparkling form as of late and for that reason alone, he must be in with a shout. But combine that with his tremendous record on soft and heavy ground and you have an exciting prospect at 16/1 with Sporting Bet. The only question marks are his liking of the course, as he has been unplaced in two runs, one on heavy, one on good to soft, so it is a concern that he just doesn't take to the place, but it would be very picky to discount him for that reason. Harrison George has been placed in 9 of his 12 starts. He's used to placing in big fields, which is always something to appreciate. He's extremely versatile and heavy ground certainly seems a bonus. He's one to keep an eye on for the future and I just cannot see him not being thereabouts today. Write him off at your peril. Best price is 11/1 at the moment. Finally, Against The Grain is somewhat of an unknown quantity. Just by looking at his record, you get the impression a drop to 6f would not be a problem at all. He will also get the ground, but the biggest concern for me is he's been off the track for 75 days and a field like this is going to be very different from anything he's handled before. So he is interesting but one to tread carefully with. My advice would be to back Bel Cantor and Harrison George.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.